Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, Amad is class and it's no surprise at all to see him performing like this. It was such a waste by Rangers.
Bit of a cliché but his time at Rangers was probably quite character building. So not a total waste. To come through a tough period like that and go on to excel at Sunderland will be something he can cling to if/when he has a tricky spell in the future.

flameinthesun

Whilst I am generally in favour of not recalling players when they are having a good loan spell, with Amad a part of me is thinking the opposite.

If he was to be recalled he would offer immediate competition for Antony and would likely get the opportunities to play due to the amount of games we play as well as the fact Antony very rarely finishes games.

Stadjer

He 100% could. He was the most talented player at rangers by a distance.

Gio totally mismanaged him. Playing Wright and Sakala ahead of him - they got what they deserved.
Would be nice if he didnt get injured and gone to Feyenoord instead. Arne Slot is a fantastic manager and Feyenoord had a great season reaching the conference league final. That could have been a great loan. Loan at Rangers has mostly just been a waste i think…

Smores

Whilst I am generally in favour of not recalling players when they are having a good loan spell, with Amad a part of me is thinking the opposite.

If he was to be recalled he would offer immediate competition for Antony and would likely get the opportunities to play due to the amount of games we play as well as the fact Antony very rarely finishes games.
I think if we'd have known Sancho was going to be AWOL most of the season he might have stayed to provide cover. Then again Pellestri hasn't got many games so who knows.

I worry Amad will get lost with too much competition ahead of him. Even if he has a decent preseason ETH isn't benching Antony and Sancho.

mav_9me

Bit of a cliché but his time at Rangers was probably quite character building. So not a total waste. To come through a tough period like that and go on to excel at Sunderland will be something he can cling to if/when he has a tricky spell in the future.
That's a real positive attitude/way to look at it. And it's true btw, not just an attitude. Hopefully he has a similar attitude.

Telsim

It's great to see him do well. Would be nice to have someone like him available, but I don't think it's a particularly great idea to recall him. He should finish the season with Sunderland and have a preseason with Ten Hag and the team before throwing him into the fire. Imagine recalling him right now and he doesn't do well or doesn't even get to play? It would wreck his confidence and development. We will just have to make do with what we have.

Remember the geese

Quite possibly. In my opinion it was a missed opportunity for Rangers. They were fortunate to have Amad with them and made a right mess of it.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's great to see him do well. Would be nice to have someone like him available, but I don't think it's a particularly great idea to recall him. He should finish the season with Sunderland and have a preseason with Ten Hag and the team before throwing him into the fire. Imagine recalling him right now and he doesn't do well or doesn't even get to play? It would wreck his confidence and development. We will just have to make do with what we have.
Totally agree with you

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Season ticket since 1990 and up there with best player that I’ve ever seen pull the red and white shirt on. Incredible footballer, gutted he’s only on loan.
High praise on their forum

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Really interesting to see his development at Sunderland. I always thought he got a raw deal at Rangers. After falling out of favour, unfairly I’ll add, he showed glimpses of a tidy footballer at the tail end of last season.

He is now performing at a high level in a league that is much superior to the SPL. Makes me wonder if he could have contributed to the Europa League run that he was excluded from. We started Scott Wright in the final, an extremely average player who can’t get near a Scotland squad.
GvB probably didn't have the luxury of time nor leeway to coach and develop Amad under the pressure cooker that is Rangers.
If you think about it, he gave a kid who had barely any senior appearances the #9 kit. It indicated to me that GvB had expected or thought he had the finished product.

It was a bad decision sending him to Rangers for all parties involved. Wasted 6 months of development time.

sglowrider

Send him Boro next season. A full season there and let him build his confidence up by giving him key responsibilities to run the team.

That will be a good foundation for him returning to United the season after. I mean TBF, he has half a season at Rangers and now going to be a full season at Sunderland.

Barely 18 months of senior football in his pocket when you consider the both-up at Rangers. Then ease him in at United subbing for Bruno or Antony as an Inside Right Forward.

Mwooyo

Send him Boro next season. A full season there and let him build his confidence up by giving him key responsibilities to run the team.

That will be a good foundation for him returning to United the season after. I mean TBF, he has half a season at Rangers and now going to be a full season at Sunderland.

Barely 18 months of senior football in his pocket when you consider the both-up at Rangers. Then ease him in at United subbing for Bruno or Antony as an Inside Right Forward.
He is already better than Anthony...why would we send him out again. We need to give him first team opportunities next season. I have to be honest...this loan after loan thing hasnt worked post ferguson...actually, after the end of the ferguson era, is there any player who has gone out on loan and come back and nailed down a position in the first team. Amad has already been on 2 loans...its time for the first team. He is ready...fans just need to be patient and give him a run of games...actually fans just need to give him the same excuses they are giving anthony. Give him the season of integration we are giving anthony and that we gave sancho.

Bondi77

He is already better than Anthony...why would we send him out again. We need to give him first team opportunities next season. I have to be honest...this loan after loan thing hasnt worked post ferguson...actually, after the end of the ferguson era, is there any player who has gone out on loan and come back and nailed down a position in the first team. Amad has already been on 2 loans...its time for the first team. He is ready...fans just need to be patient and give him a run of games...actually fans just need to give him the same excuses they are giving anthony. Give him the season of integration we are giving anthony and that we gave sancho.
Good post.

Gordon S

Yeah, looking at our current options in attack, it is only really Rashford that looks real quality. We have a bunch of players that we hope to see play better in the future, but Amad is just as talented as any of our current options in attack imo. Breaking up his current successful loan at Sunderland might seem mad but i am currently leaning towards that we might need his quality in our squad this spring.

sglowrider

He has had half a season at rangers. And now half a season so far at Sunderland. You are comparing that with Antony's experience?

You know ETH will favour playing Antony over amad. He has to for now.
And Bruno is the captain and will play most if not all matches.

Besides we need amad to build up experience and confidence before he comes back and ride the bench most matches.

Antony is suffering from the case of high expectations due to his fee. He needs a bedding in period. Barely been here a few months.

AneRu

Agree with this, we are so short of forward options and we saw what he could do at United, before this loan, so under Ten Hag and in a coherent system he has a better chance now he is accustomed to men's football. He should come back and play even though I worry if he would get a fair chance in competition against the manager's favorite.

MileStolar

It seems the recall clause has expired now so he's definitely staying at Sunderland for the rest of the season.

Some more quotes from Mowbray a couple of days ago;
Wow Mowbray comes off as such a nice guy there, genuinely caring for Amad's future at United. Such nice words from him

Rossa

A colleague of mine is a Sunderland fan - they do exist - and he was skeptical towards Diallo at first, saying he wasn't even their best RW. I talked to him last week, and he said he had completely changed his mind about him. His development was fantastic. Pure class - just give him the ball and he skips away from players for fun. Very quick feet, great vision, passing and just an allround brilliant footballer. He said he was in no doubt he would come in and strengthen United, but of course he hoped that he would finish his loan at Sunderland.

ash_86

From what i read, he isn't a typical out and out RW. His best position seems to be in the space between #10 and RW. In our team he is not going to replace Bruno, nor he is an exclusive winger. Kind of worried about his role when he gets here.

sglowrider

From what i read, he isn't a typical out and out RW. His best position seems to be in the space between #10 and RW. In our team he is not going to replace Bruno, nor he is an exclusive winger. Kind of worried about his role when he gets here.
That's why we should not bring him back too early

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Lingard (not exactly nailed down a spot but became a squad player)
Dalot (Milan loan was a waste of time and he didn't improve I feel)

Idxomer

If a player is away on loans for 2 and a half years, I wouldn't expect him to have much future at the club. This is also not any young player, it's one the club thought is worth up to 40m when he was just 18.

United need to either have him in their plans next season or sell him.

Judas

Open to offers
If a player is away on loans for 2 and a half years, I wouldn't expect him to have much future at the club. This is also not any young player, it's one the club thought is worth up to 40m when he was just 18.

How you can read this thread and then post this I’ve no idea.

Lyng

If a player is away on loans for 2 and a half years, I wouldn't expect him to have much future at the club.
Rangers mismanaged him terrible. Now he is at Sunderland with a proper manager and he is thriving. Look at the quotes from Sunderland fans on their forum.
Amad is a huge talent.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

Why? Just sounds like you're being impatient.

Idxomer

How you can read this thread and then post this I’ve no idea.
Rangers mismanaged him terrible. Now he is at Sunderland with a proper manager and he is thriving. Look at the quotes from Sunderland fans on their forum.
Amad is a huge talent.
Why? Just sounds like you're being impatient.
I'm a big fan of Amad's talent. I'm responding to people suggesting we keep him on loan for another year which for me woldn't achieve much.

romufc

Different players grow at different rates. Diallo has not had first team football exposure and needed that.

Again, the reason the club thought he is worth up to 40m is because of his talent, we paid 25m odd with others being adds ons if he performs.

I can name numerous players over the years that have developed after 20/21 years of age.

Lyng

I'm a big fan of Amad's talent. I'm responding to people suggesting we keep him on loan for another year which for me woldn't achieve much.
Ah okay, there I do agree with you. Especially if you start looking in to his stats this season and compare them to our other offensive players, he should absolutely be given a chance for us. And personally I am quite certain he would start every match if given a proper chance.

sglowrider

That's why we should not bring him back too early
Plus you notice the way he plays isn't exactly that easy to gel or integrate with the run-of-the-mill players He sees a pass or a run before he even receives the ball and passes. If you watch what he was like early on at Rangers and Sunderland, the first few months, the players really didn't know what he wanted or had to do. Now I notice more pass & go or third man runs etc in anticipation of his passes.

He just won't get that time to integrate into a gradually set team at United. He needs to gain more experience and confidence before coming back.

sglowrider

Where did you get the 2 1/2 years of being on loan? Half a season at Rangers and now going into the 2nd half of a year's loan at Sunderland. Actual time-wise, that's basically 1 season of senior football under his belt.

And that ol' 40million figure again? Did you get that off the Mail? He's 20 now.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Where did you get the 2 1/2 years of being on loan? Half a season at Rangers and now going into the 2nd half of a year's loan at Sunderland. Actual time-wise, that's basically 1 season of senior football under his belt.

And that ol' 40million figure again? Did you get that off the Mail? He's 20 now.
Tbf he said we need to either use him or sell him next season or else he would've been on loan for 2.5 years. I have to say I agree with that. We keep loaning players out until their star fades. At that point it's obvious they aren't good enough for us and then we also fail to make any kind of money on sales. Tuanzebe and Williams are still here because we failed to get rid while there still was some kind of demand for them. Garner we got lucky with because he wanted to go to Everton or else we probably would've done another couple of loans and then given away for peanuts.

It's maddening that clubs like Liverpool have made well over 100m on utter dross like Brewster, Nico Williams, Wilson, Solanke and Ibe in recent years. Meanwhile we're for some reason pinning our hopes on every single academy product coming good as if it was some fairytale. They won't hesitate on getting rid of Harvey Elliott if he isn't up to it, while we keep the likes of Lingard around until they are 30.

At that age, two loans should be the maximum before you make a decision one way or another. Either keep or sell with a buyback clause. 99 % of the time if the player still isn't good enough to stay after two loans, he won't suddenly become good enough a year later. But with a buyback clause you at least have some sort of security in the rare event it's a late bloomer.

Personally I think it's a no brainer, he has to stay next season. Every year we keep moaning about the squad being thin and that we can't compete while playing every 3 days etc. yet we keep loaning out players that could provide that depth. If the manager doesn't think he's good enough to contribute next season, sell with the buyback option and spend that money on someone better.

iHicksy

Sunderland supporters on reddit have a thread asking how much it's gonna hurt when he has to return to united. Should tell you all you need to know about how good he's been for them.

MadMike

If Eriksen is to be continued to be viewed as CM, as opposed to a #10, then who's providing the depth for the #10 position next season?

He should come back in the summer, he'll get plenty of games at #10 if he does well in training. Yes, I understand it will be difficult for him to displace Bruno from the best starting XI. But this is United, there will never be a time when he doesn't have fierce competition for his spot. There will never be clear and unchallenged path to the starting XI.

The important thing is to be here. Because Bruno might have an injury and then he suddenly gets the opportunity to play lots of games. That's how these things work some times. Last season's record signing, Sancho, currently finds himself off the team fighting to get back in it. And if he does, then this season's record signing (Antony) might find himself under serious pressure for his spot as he's failed to impress in the time he had unchallenged for his spot. That's just the nature of things. You might get some breaks and some times when your team depends wholly on you, but mostly you have to fight for your spot and your chances.

Baneofthegame

If Eriksen is to be continued to be viewed as CM, as opposed to a #10, then who's providing the depth for the #10 position next season?

He should come back in the summer, he'll get plenty of games at #10 if he does well in training. Yes, I understand it will be difficult for him to displace Bruno from the best starting XI. But this is United, there will never be a time when he doesn't have fierce competition for his spot. There will never be clear and unchallenged path to the starting XI.

The important thing is to be here. Because Bruno might have an injury and then he suddenly gets the opportunity to play lots of games. That's how these things work some times. Last season's record signing, Sancho, currently finds himself off the team fighting to get back in it. And if he does, then this season's record signing (Antony) might find himself under serious pressure for his spot as he's failed to impress in the time he had unchallenged for his spot. That's just the nature of things. You might get some breaks and some times when your team depends wholly on you, but mostly you have to fight for your spot and your chances.
I mean the way Antony's playing, if it continues he will get games at RW as well.

sglowrider

Tbf he said we need to either use him or sell him next season or else he would've been on loan for 2.5 years. I have to say I agree with that. We keep loaning players out until their star fades. At that point it's obvious they aren't good enough for us and then we also fail to make any kind of money on sales. Tuanzebe and Williams are still here because we failed to get rid while there still was some kind of demand for them. Garner we got lucky with because he wanted to go to Everton or else we probably would've done another couple of loans and then given away for peanuts.

It's maddening that clubs like Liverpool have made well over 100m on utter dross like Brewster, Nico Williams, Wilson, Solanke and Ibe in recent years. Meanwhile we're for some reason pinning our hopes on every single academy product coming good as if it was some fairytale. They won't hesitate on getting rid of Harvey Elliott if he isn't up to it, while we keep the likes of Lingard around until they are 30.

At that age, two loans should be the maximum before you make a decision one way or another. Either keep or sell with a buyback clause. 99 % of the time if the player still isn't good enough to stay after two loans, he won't suddenly become good enough a year later. But with a buyback clause you at least have some sort of security in the rare event it's a late bloomer.

Personally I think it's a no brainer, he has to stay next season. Every year we keep moaning about the squad being thin and that we can't compete while playing every 3 days etc. yet we keep loaning out players that could provide that depth. If the manager doesn't think he's good enough to contribute next season, sell with the buyback option and spend that money on someone better.
I think coming back the season after next would be good timing. Bruno will be at least 30 by then. Amad would slot in perfectly then

Last edited:

mav_9me

I think cing back the season after next would be good timing. Bruno will be at least 30 by then. Amad would slot in perfectly then
There is an obvious squad/first team place position as rotation with Bruno/Antony up for grabs now and hopefully Amad can be the answer for that, and he can show that this coming preseason.