Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

CM10

I do wonder if there's scope for Amad to play a little deeper even. He's a very good ball carrier and a good passer. Could we mould him into a Bernardo Silva type player?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Great point here.

Except Mowbray didn't actually say that about only Amad,

"I often say to players 'just give Amad the ball' because he makes good decisions, he doesn't lose it, he does something that allows us to go and attack and score and be creative. I say that to the defenders or the midfielders.

And here at Sunderland, Amad and Patrick Roberts do things that normal footballers don't"

Maybe this puts to bed the stupid posts about Amad being head and shoulders above his team mates in here.

Mowbray also mentioned the fact that he was still learning and wasn't the full product yet and still hasn't played that many games.

I get flak on here because apparently I 'crap' on Amad in this thread.
I'd actually say I'm one of the only ones who are quite realistic and level headed in his prospects.
A talented special player, who is still learning and not quite ready for the step up.
Capable of magic, but also capable of going missing during games.

If that's critical, you lot should read the fecking match day threads, or the Maguire/McT/Fred threads :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Except Mowbray didn't actually say that about only Amad,

"I often say to players 'just give Amad the ball' because he makes good decisions, he doesn't lose it, he does something that allows us to go and attack and score and be creative. I say that to the defenders or the midfielders.

And here at Sunderland, Amad and Patrick Roberts do things that normal footballers don't"

Maybe this puts to bed the stupid posts about Amad being head and shoulders above his team mates in here.

Mowbray also mentioned the fact that he was still learning and wasn't the full product yet and still hasn't played that many games.

I get flak on here because apparently I 'crap' on Amad in this thread.
I'd actually say I'm one of the only ones who are quite realistic and level headed in his prospects.
A talented special player, who is still learning and not quite ready for the step up.
Capable of magic, but also capable of going missing during games.

If that's critical, you lot should read the fecking match day threads, or the Maguire/McT/Fred threads :lol:
Puts it to bed? It confirms it. Him and Roberts are head and shoulders above their team mates. In the words of their own manager.

The crucial difference being that Roberts is 6 years older and this is Amad’s first full season of first team football.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Tony Mowbray has handled his development superbly. Exactly what you want from a loanees manager. I hope we send more players his way next season.

Champ

Puts it to bed? It confirms it. Him and Roberts are head and shoulders above their team mates. In the words of their own manager.

The crucial difference being that Roberts is 6 years older and this is Amad’s first full season of first team football.
All I see in this thread is posts about how his team mates don't make the runs or how Amad is on a different wavelength to everyone else.
Sunderland may have a young team but they have Roberts, Pritchard, Gelhardt (only for a few games), Stewart. All players who know how to play the game.

Amad is a talent, all I'm saying is calm down with the hyperbole, it's not necessary and way over the top.

MadMike

Ten Hag would love him.
Would he? Asking genuinely.

We have plenty of skilled players in the forward positions but from what I’ve seen of Ten Hag, he loves players who play with intensity, work hard defensively and follow the tactical plan. Hence Weghorst getting a lot of games despite being limited, or Antony being a mainstay on the right due to his tenacity and work. Whereas Garnacho and Sancho, both very technical, have failed to become more than squad players so far. The first because he switches off defensively, the latter because he lacks intensity and tenacity.

Does Amad look like a player that plays with intensity and tenacity or does he look a Sancho?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
All I see in this thread is posts about how his team mates don't make the runs or how Amad is on a different wavelength to everyone else.
Sunderland may have a young team but they have Roberts, Pritchard, Gelhardt (only for a few games), Stewart. All players who know how to play the game.

Amad is a talent, all I'm saying is calm down with the hyperbole, it's not necessary and way over the top.
Dunno about the different wavelength stuff. If that was true then it would be as much on him as anyone else. Every creative player needs to be on the same wavelength as his team mates. That’s their job.

Sunderland have a good, young team. But it’s obvious when you watch them play that him and Roberts are the jewels in the crown. Those comments from Mowbray just confirm it.

I think Amad is a better player but Roberts is class too. It’s the difference in ages/development between two very good players that makes Amad such an exciting prospect.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Would he? Asking genuinely.

We have plenty of skilled players in the forward positions but from what I’ve seen of Ten Hag, he loves players who play with intensity, work hard defensively and follow the tactical plan. Hence Weghorst getting a lot of games despite being limited, or Antony being a mainstay on the right due to his tenacity and work. Whereas Garnacho and Sancho, both very technical, have failed to become more than squad players so far. The first because he switches off defensively, the latter because he lacks intensity and tenacity.

Does Amad look like a player that plays with intensity and tenacity or does he look a Sancho?
He doesn’t lack intensity/tenacity when you compare him to former ETH favourites like Tadic or Ziyech.

Champ

Dunno about the different wavelength stuff. If that was true then it would be as much on him as anyone else. Every creative player needs to be on the same wavelength as his team mates. That’s their job.

Sunderland have a good, young team. But it’s obvious when you watch them play that him and Roberts are the jewels in the crown. Those comments from Mowbray just confirm it.

I think Amad is a better player but Roberts is class too. It’s the difference in ages/development between two very good players that makes Amad such an exciting prospect.
Look, I'm not going to disagree with you there at all.

A quick browse through this Amad thread or the other will determine that people have been hyping him up to ridiculous lengths.

I'd prefer to say it how it is and wait to see what player we have got when he's ready to make the step up.

For sure I'm glad he's at United and no where else.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why the hell would you NOT hype up a young lad who is doing really well.

Who watches a player scoring a worldy and his manager saying how class he is and thinks “even though he plays for a team I support, I am going to remain cybical and objective”

feck off he’s world class and Phil Foden couldn’t clean his boots.

MadMike

He doesn’t lack intensity/tenacity when you compare him to former ETH favourites like Tadic or Ziyech.
That’s a fair point. But they were the creative fulcrums of his team. If he has to become that influential before he gets a pass, we’ll likely have to wait many years for his development. Our equivalent to Ziyech and Tadic are Bruno and Rashford and they don’t really lack at all in that regard. Ziyech would not start in this team. But I guess we’ll see.

I have high hopes for the lad. I guess I’m a bit of a pessimist because the bar is so high.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That’s a fair point. But they were the creative fulcrums of his team. If he has to become that influential before he gets a pass, we’ll likely have to wait many years for his development. Our equivalent to Ziyech and Tadic are Bruno and Rashford and they don’t really lack at all in that regard. Ziyech would not start in this team. But I guess we’ll see.

I have high hopes for the lad. I guess I’m a bit of a pessimist because the bar is so high.
Bruno is definitely very tenacious and intense but I don’t think Rashford is. He’s all about skill, rather than grit. Same with Martial (on the rare occasion he’s available!) There’s room for both types of player in a good team IMO. You just need the right blend.

Mingus

Tony Mowbray quote.

“But Diallo’s training has been unbelievable, how fast he is, how direct he is and how good he is with the ball.
“You look at his physical data in every match in the last three or four games, he’s been the highest distance covered, the highest sprint distance covered, the highest high intensity energy runs."

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think another loan in a top league would do him well next season again. For a player like him, he needs games. He'll be competing with Sancho, Rashford, Bruno, Antony, Garnacho for a 3 behind the striker position, and he has huge potential, but the biggest mistake would be putting him at the bottom of that queue at this stage. Let him build off this loan and have him show he can be a key player for a mid table side before he comes in and replaces one of our star attackers.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think another loan in a top league would do him well next season again. For a player like him, he needs games. He'll be competing with Sancho, Rashford, Bruno, Antony, Garnacho for a 3 behind the striker position, and he has huge potential, but the biggest mistake would be putting him at the bottom of that queue at this stage. Let him build off this loan and have him show he can be a key player for a mid table side before he comes in and replaces one of our star attackers.
This.

davidmichael

Hopefully he’ll get a loan to a PL club next season as that will be the make or break for Diallo I think.

if he comes back to United he’d most likely have Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Garnacho, Fernandes and he who can’t currently be named ahead of him whilst we’ll almost certainly also buy a centre forward in the summer too so a year on loan with a PL club for me for Diallo.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So great to see a young United talent doing well. You love to see him get minutes with us next season but another loan with Sunderland would be the better option

Eric_the_Red99

There’s no doubt that he looks like a special talent, but the clips I’ve seen of him at Sunderland really do show how awful the defending can be in the Championship. He seemed to have an age to line up his shot yesterday. The defender just jogged up to him and then stopped a couple of yards away.

We’ll have to see whether he can replicate that kind of form against much better Premiership defenders, who don’t give you so much time and space.

sglowrider

It was absolutely scandalous that Amad was booked for reacting, quite mildly I thought, it appeared that he pushed the player on the ground, nothing for the two previous attempts to scythe him down.
You should have seen some of the tackles before that. Sunday league level and yet no yellows. But Amad gets a yellow for that -- wasn't shown in that clip though.

jesperjaap

Why the hell would you NOT hype up a young lad who is doing really well.

Who watches a player scoring a worldy and his manager saying how class he is and thinks “even though he plays for a team I support, I am going to remain cybical and objective”

feck off he’s world class and Phil Foden couldn’t clean his boots.

I think its because have to have an element of realism. He is an exciting and talented young player, not to comapre the two at all but so is Pellestri and he cant get near the pitch. We have Garnacho, Rashford, Antony, Sancho.....Amad does have ability, but how does he play in the current side if he comes back?

Beyond Pellestri, when you look at our real quality yougsters of Hannibal, Mainoo and AMad, he probably has the least time of getting game time beyong injuries and that isnt saying he inst as good as the other players.

I like him, if he had a bit more pace and strength I would be confident, but you are labelling him world class and Foden not fit to clean his boots.....that is probably just the kind of ahead of yourself hyperbole the poster was alluding to

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
You should have seen some of the tackles before that. Sunday league level and yet no yellows. But Amad gets a yellow for that -- wasn't shown in that clip though.
I did see most of the first half, and some of the challenges were, shall we say, agricultural.
Amad certainly has a very high level of skill, and his reaction after the three or four challenges was very mild considering. I know of a few players who would have reacted in a far more aggressive way.
He looks like he could be ready to make the United squad during the summer, but it will be the training and friendly matches where Ten Hag will be able to assess what he can do, along with Hannibal, Laird etc.

sglowrider

I did see most of the first half, and some of the challenges were, shall we say, agricultural.
Amad certainly has a very high level of skill, and his reaction after the three or four challenges was very mild considering. I know of a few players who would have reacted in a far more aggressive way.
He looks like he could be ready to make the United squad during the summer, but it will be the training and friendly matches where Ten Hag will be able to assess what he can do, along with Hannibal, Laird etc.
Agree.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I just checked his Fbref and Amad is in the top 99th percentile for accurate passes for attacking midfielders/wingers, that’s impressive.

Amad is
  • Press resistant;
  • Retains the ball extremely well; and
  • Left footed.

Three massive traits that a lot of the current squad just doesn’t have. He’s also a very clever presser (top 99th percentile for interceptions). I really hope ten Hag has a plan for him. I rate Amad very highly and think there’s something special that could be crafted out with a top tier manager like ten Hag behind him
Sounds very similar to Antony, I bet there stats match up pretty close to each other.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sounds very similar to Antony, I bet there stats match up pretty close to each other.
They certainly look and play in a very similar style IMO.

For that reason alone I think ETH will like him. He just lacked being able to play at a higher tempo and dealing with more aggression of mens football. He has clearly improved a lot in that regard this year.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I just checked his Fbref and Amad is in the top 99th percentile for accurate passes for attacking midfielders/wingers, that’s impressive.

Amad is
  • Press resistant;
  • Retains the ball extremely well; and
  • Left footed.

Three massive traits that a lot of the current squad just doesn’t have. He’s also a very clever presser (top 99th percentile for interceptions). I really hope ten Hag has a plan for him. I rate Amad very highly and think there’s something special that could be crafted out with a top tier manager like ten Hag behind him
Hmmm… that prompted me to check them too. His “creative stats” are surprisingly poor. Other than goals scored, they’re all well below the 50th centile. Not what I expected to see.

Bwuk

Hmmm… that prompted me to check them too. His “creative stats” are surprisingly poor. Other than goals scored, they’re all well below the 50th centile. Not what I expected to see.
Stats mean nothing. I watch a lot of Sunderland. Anything and everything they create comes through him. He's by far and away their best player.

UnitedRepublic

Can’t wait to see him back here next season in the CAM/RW role I’m a sucker for someone who can dribble smoothly and has good eyes for passing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
91st percentile for progressive passes, 92nd for passes into the final 3rd, very good ball carrying stats... Seems like he's not creating the chances but is doing all the main work to get the ball into great positions for others to play the final ball.

Redivy

91st percentile for progressive passes, 92nd for passes into the final 3rd, very good ball carrying stats... Seems like he's not creating the chances but is doing all the main work to get the ball into great positions for others to play the final ball.
Exactly what we need to be honest. We need to increase our build up play. The likes of Bruno and Rashford are players who excel at the final end, but we need players in the squad that can help us build and sustain pressure on the opposition.