Amad Diallo signs for Manchester United

Leethal

I bet you will be complaining too if we had signed Sancho from City youth team couple of years ago.
Well, no, as he cost 7m and the economic climate wasn't as unstable as it currently is. Right now, we don't know when we're going to be making money again, so to be spending on areas for the future while the present gets neglected, is poor planning from the club.

Take the wool from in front of your eyes. I've already stated I like the fact we buy youth - just not right now, as buying youth is to the detriment of the first team which needs rectifying before we look at the future. If we don't make Champions League, next years transfer budget is even less, as is our commercial revenue. If the cycle continues, we find ourselves permanently mid-table. The only way to break that cycle is to have a team competing for the top honours - and that isn't happening without massive investment and improvement in the first team.

Dembeza

Martial had played more than 24 minutes of first team football when we signed him. And BVB bought Sancho for peanuts in the economic climate at the time.

We spent 20m on a kid, (who won't have any impact any time soon), during a financially unpredictable pandemic, when our team has gaping holes everywhere that needs addressing first.
We could have signed him and also address the holes. Not addressing the holes is the incompetency of management and has nothing to do with this signing, after all we have a very low net spend this window.

The going rate for talented youngsters is very high, imagine leaving him to play a full season and he does very well. We would be looking at spending alot of money for him and also fight off competition.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Atalanta has one of the finest youth academy in Italy and before we signed him up he was going to be loaned to Parma who also have a great eye for talent. He's the 5th youngest goalscorer in the Serie A's history (all the other 4 were strikers), he played 27 games at youth level scoring 12 goals.

This is how the Italians describes him

http://www.worldfootballscouting.co...002/amad-traore-talento-ivoriano-classe-2002/

Amad Traore is a winger who can play in the mezzala role. He's got great technique and vision and the rare ability to be two footed. He's fast, a great baller, and he's accurate from long distances.

He's great both when running at players or when dictating tempo and he's a team player

He's extremely dynamic. He tends to cuts inside between midfield and forward line. He is good defensive wise as well and will do his share of workrate.

He's also have great personality and he's not afraid taking responsibility and try difficult play

He's not a giant and he need to strengthen up .

Tactically he had covered all roles behind the striker. Normally he's kept on the flanks but he also played in midfield (mezzala) or as a no 10

Strengths: Technique, dribbling, pace, dynamism, character, great shot, assist, vision, and being two footed
Weakness: lack of strength and sometimes he tend to be ahead of the game
Remind: Nabil Fekir

Leethal

We could have signed him and also address the holes. Not addressing the holes is the incompetency of management and has nothing to do with this signing, after all we have a very low net spend this window.

The going rate for talented youngsters is very high, imagine leaving him to play a full season and he does very well. We would be looking at spending alot of money for him and also fight off competition.
You might be right. But we are working under a very limited budget, as shown by our transfer activity - or lack of. We bought this guy, as Sancho wasn't happening, and it's a safe'ish investment with the funds that didn't get used on Sancho. If Sancho happened, we don't get this guy, mark my words. That's the reason why this happened after our little Sancho experiment fell through.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well, no, as he cost 7m and the economic climate wasn't as unstable as it currently is. Right now, we don't know when we're going to be making money again, so to be spending on areas for the future while the present gets neglected, is poor planning from the club.

Take the wool from in front of your eyes. I've already stated I like the fact we buy youth - just not right now, as buying youth is to the detriment of the first team which needs rectifying before we look at the future. If we don't make Champions League, next years transfer budget is even less, as is our commercial revenue. If the cycle continues, we find ourselves permanently mid-table. The only way to break that cycle is to have a team competing for the top honours - and that isn't happening without massive investment and improvement in the first team.
We already had Greenwood on our first team, and we have added young talented backup for Greenwood. I don’t see there big issue on it. If he turns shite yeh that’s 20m wasted, if he turns good, 40m would be worth spending on. Let’s at least give him 1-2 years to prove himself here, before complaining.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
These are the signings Real Madrid have made in recent times and we’ve inevitably been criticised for not doing what they do at the time.
I agree and I for one am very pleased with this signing.

devilish

I said it back then and I say it right now. Sancho was a nice to have signing but we could have lived without him. Greenwood had been spectacular as RW. What worries me is

a- our CBs are crap
b- Ole's insistence in running the first team to the ground
c- we took an unnecessary gamble on Cavani.

I would have been happy with Pellestri/Traore IF Ole wasn't that obsessed with playing his first team week in week out + Cavani wasn't just a huge gamble. If we added a top striker then that meant that we would have had Greenwood, 2 exciting kids Mata, Lingard, James and possibly Rashford on the RW.

I am not saying that this is a great transfer window. I'd give it a 5 or a 6. However Ole needs to take a share of the blame here. He gave the thumbs up for us spending 130m on two average defenders last season and he was the one who pushed Smalling out of the club despite being a better CB then most of our players. He also need to grow a pair and start putting the likes of DDG, Maguire and Pogba on the bench as well.

Leethal

We already had Greenwood on our first team, and we have added young talented backup for Greenwood. I don’t see there big issue on it. If he turns shite yeh that’s 20m wasted, if he turns good, 40m would be worth spending on. Let’s at least give him 1-2 years to prove himself here, before complaining.
You're not understanding. I don't have an issue with the kid at all. I like that we make these types of signings. BUT right now, we needed to fix up the first team, not invest in the future. We are obviously working under a limited budget, and that 20m could've went into improving the first team, which this kid does not do, and will not do for a good couple of years. He's played 24 minutes of professional football. . .

Leethal

I said it back then and I say it right now. Sancho was a nice to have signing but we could have lived without him. Greenwood had been spectacular as RW. What worries me is

a- our CBs are crap
b- Ole's insistence in running the first team to the ground
c- we took an unnecessary gamble on Cavani.

I would have been happy with Pellestri/Traore IF Ole wasn't that obsessed with playing his first team week in week out + Cavani wasn't just a huge gamble. If we added a top striker then that meant that we would have had Greenwood, 2 exciting kids Mata, Lingard, James and possibly Rashford on the RW.

I am not saying that this is a great transfer window. I'd give it a 5 or a 6. However Ole needs to take a share of the blame here. He gave the thumbs up for us spending 130m on two average defenders last season and he was the one who pushed Smalling out of the club despite being a better CB then most of our players. He also need to grow a pair and start putting the likes of DDG, Maguire and Pogba on the bench as well.
Agree with Sancho. Don't really care too much if we didn't get him, as BVB were asking a hell of a lot in the current climate.

Saying that, the money that didn't get spent on Sancho, could have, (and should have), been invested in the first team, not on youth and back in the Glazers pockets. We need impact players right now, or we run the real risk of becoming a permanent mid table team.

devilish

Agree with Sancho. Don't really care too much if we didn't get him, as BVB were asking a hell of a lot in the current climate.

Saying that, the money that didn't get spent on Sancho, could have, (and should have), been invested in the first team, not on youth and back in the Glazers pockets. We need impact players right now, or we run the real risk of becoming a permanent mid table team.
I fully agree. Unfortunately I feel we're back in a loop where the manager is not being trusted with money following the mess he made last summer which means that the club had decided to trust the scouts instead who went full FM mode. The trouble with that is that ultimately the manager decides whether he'll play them or not.

Also have you noticed that out of the 5 signings we've made (Telles, VDB, Pellistri, Traore, Cavani), 3 are South Americans? Whose also South American? Ah yes Pochs.

Leethal

I fully agree. Unfortunately I feel we're back in a loop where the manager is not being trusted with money following the mess he made last summer which means that the club had decided to trust the scouts instead who went full FM mode. The trouble with that is that ultimately the manager decides whether he'll play them or not.

Also have you noticed that out of the 5 signings we've made (Telles, VDB, Pellistri, Traore, Cavani), 3 are South Americans? Whose also South American? Ah yes Pochs.
What I have noticed, though, is that maybe ONE? Telles? Will command a first team spot. That's worrying, considering we were 30+ points behind Liiverpool. Or do we not care about challenging for the league now? 4th is a-ok?

Dembeza

You might be right. But we are working under a very limited budget, as shown by our transfer activity - or lack of. We bought this guy, as Sancho wasn't happening, and it's a safe'ish investment with the funds that didn't get used on Sancho. If Sancho happened, we don't get this guy, mark my words. That's the reason why this happened after our little Sancho experiment fell through.
Correct, we have an incompetent board that should have brought in other players. They could have walked away from the Sancho deal and address other issue: but they decided to leave everything late.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy about the gaps that weren’t filled, all I am saying is that we did right by getting this kid early before he blew up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This kind of signings never worked, never, similar kind of signings in the past:

angelo henriquez
Obertan
Bebe
Dalot
Ljalic
Tosic
Zaha
Varela
Petrucci (the new totti)
James
Powell
Vermijl
De leat
Manucho
Macheda
Diouf
Possebon
Bellion
Dong

so another one to put in that list
The only signing comparable from that list is Dalot. The rest were punts and in Dan James's case even the Swansea fans I spoke to didn't think he was good enough to play at the level we as a club aspire to be.

devilish

What I have noticed, though, is that maybe ONE? Telles? Will command a first team spot. That's worrying, considering we were 30+ points behind Liiverpool. Or do we not care about challenging for the league now? 4th is a-ok?
That doesn't really concern me so much. I would have loved a top quality CB as we lack those but apart from that we've got a competitive XI. What this team lack is good quality strength in depth. This window sort of address that IF there's the will and the patience to do things in the right way. Unfortunately I doubt its the case. Ole is not Sir Alex. The latter could make it work with kids. Ole is a kid himself (managerial experience speaking)

BR7

"Subject to work permit" - now gonna fret about this for a couple of months after being scarred by Ljajic.
I think we were more scarred by the Essien saga. We could have had him when he was 17/18 if I remember but he was refused a permit, I’m pretty sure that’s right

BR7

Kids a guarantee and you can’t say that about many 18 y/o. He looks the business. Quick feet, can run as fast with ball at his feet (Mr D James take note) his most impressive asset appears to be an understanding of where his teammates are and doesn’t suffer from blinkered vision. Good touch, skill but that pace. Great signing this one. I think he’ll be quicker than Sancho once he hits 20 if not already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Tracking him for 3 years and we wait to make a move until the last day of the window, when there's no time to sort a work permit and he can't actually join for 3 months. :houllier:
He was picked up prior to going on loan to another Italian club. Basically, the club had no choice but to purchase him so a gem would not be unearthed by the loaning club, or others watching him over the season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Looks amazing on YouTube, but so did Bebe. Gutted we didn't address the right wing this window but this boy looks really good. Hopefully, he is as good as his fee suggests and makes an impact when he comes in Jan (if we get over the work permit obstacle).
Did he?

M Utd

I know very little about him but from the clips I've seen and comments from people who have watched him a little more then I more than welcome him.

Am I upset at Sancho not being signed? Of course but I'll be more upset to find out the money we would have spent on him isnt used to develop the squad.

It seems some of that money is albeit not immediate first time (which I admit is a little worrying).

I'll be beyond upset if we don't used the saved funds in January or don't have a bigger transfer budget next summer. My fear is the remainder will be used to larger dividends for shareholders.

SteveW

I'm almost afraid to read through this thread. I assume it going to be full of people complaining about a player they've never seen play. By all accounts he's hugely gifted. You don't put down 30m on an 18 year old who's not established unless you think he could be very special. We may look back on this window as the one where we didn't buy what we needed to challenge this season but where we found and absolute gem that helped us challenge for many subsequent ones.

I'm excited to see how he does. Hopefully they can find a way for him to get some football somewhere before January.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Moaning!! Moaning!! Moaning!! every other day Jezz it's getting depressing, This brillant kid had just been sign for 40m and we are crying about the fees Jezz, guys the kid has got something special about him, I'm happy we've wrapped this up early, when you look at his videos clips, his body language oozes confidence and assurances, knowing what to do with the ball at feet and going pass defenders with a combination of dribbling skills and speed, can Chips in passes or inverted passes for either a striker or a midfield runner, can also play in square passes or cut backs i mean what's not to like about him?

Next Year our Job would be easier with finding a CB, DM who knows we might even go back with a cheeky(60m "You like to see it" bid) for Sancho knowing fully well BVB stance might soften seeing his contract running down by another year! So I'll like us to Welcome Amad Diallo With our full support.

YES i know our transfer window is shit simply because we waited till the last minute to act but when you look at how BVB wanted so much during an Economic Meltdown, then for me going with Facu, Telles, Cavani, Van De Beek and Diallo is not as bad as we are making it seem, it's now left for Ole to get the best out of the squad he has now!!

Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It was obvious Bebe was an awful player from the moment you saw him play. The very first match I saw him play I remarked on the Caf there were better players in the clubs' academy. Without going into conspiracy theories something was not right about the Bebe transfer.

M Utd

I'm almost afraid to read through this thread. I assume it going to be full of people complaining about a player they've never seen play. By all accounts he's hugely gifted. You don't put down 30m on an 18 year old who's not established unless you think he could be very special. We may look back on this window as the one where we didn't buy what we needed to challenge this season but where we found and absolute gem that helped us challenge for many subsequent ones.

I'm excited to see how he does. Hopefully they can find a way for him to get some football somewhere before January.
Good to hear some positivity!
He looks exciting, as you say its not going to help the first team immediately.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was obvious Bebe was an awful player from the moment you saw him play. The very first match I saw him play I remarked on the Caf there were better players in the clubs' academy. Without going into conspiracy theories something was not right about the Bebe transfer.
Think it was reported (Although I always thought it must have been a joke) that SAF bought him without seeing him play :lol:

Nickelodeon

Kids a guarantee and you can’t say that about many 18 y/o. He looks the business. Quick feet, can run as fast with ball at his feet (Mr D James take note) his most impressive asset appears to be an understanding of where his teammates are and doesn’t suffer from blinkered vision. Good touch, skill but that pace. Great signing this one. I think he’ll be quicker than Sancho once he hits 20 if not already.
How do you know all this?

stu_1992

"strange circumstances" - we've only been following him for 4 years since 2016. Finally swooped after much careful scout work. Stupid way to recruit a player when you think of it!! We should be buying more Bebes!!
The strange circumstances I was referring to was more the fact that we had a pressing need for a right-winger and yet he won't be able to join until January. Also the fact that a week ago it seemed his club was about to loan him to Parma and now he's joining us instead, seemingly with the intention of putting him straight into the first team. I've no doubt he's talented or that our scouts have been on him for a while and that they are sure of him. I do find it weird though that a player that we have monitored for so long was left until deadline day to make a deal happen. Especially when he can't even join then. Seems like they could have saved themselves the hassle on that particular day, there was already enough happening. I think it's fair to call those strange circumstances.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't see anything to complain about this deal. He's by all accounts a top class talent and has been hyped quite in the last two years. We've seemingly got him before he reached his peak.

SteveW

Good to hear some positivity!
He looks exciting, as you say its not going to help the first team immediately.
Time passes. This time last year we were talking about mid table and even relegation. Now we are angry that we likely aren't going to challenge for the league this season. That represents progress. Just like when they didn't sign a CM last summer board have pretty much ensured that the next few months will be very tough which absolutely sucks. But at least we taking care of the future with some exciting young signings. Butt and Solskjaer have some great raw materials to work with and develop over the next couple of years.

It's funny. We often look on with envy while Dortmund sign all the best young kids on the cheap and develop them. Then we sign 3 extremely highly rated teenagers in a day like Traore, Pellistri and Kwambwalla and it's met with almost anger from the fanbase. There's definitely valid complaints. The next couple of months will potentially be very painful for the first team. But signing quality youth players is definitely not something to moan about.

jackal&hyde

Just going by some highlights and the fee it feels like he is a very special talent. Good luck to the kid.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Looks amazing on YouTube, but so did Bebe. Gutted we didn't address the right wing this window but this boy looks really good. Hopefully, he is as good as his fee suggests and makes an impact when he comes in Jan (if we get over the work permit obstacle).
Bebe looked awful on YouTube before he came. A couple of long range goals and some scrappy runs in the Portuguese 3rd division if I remember rightly.

KM

Time passes. This time last year we were talking about mid table and even relegation. Now we are angry that we likely aren't going to challenge for the league this season. That represents progress. Just like when they didn't sign a CM last summer board have pretty much ensured that the next few months will be very tough which absolutely sucks. But at least we taking care of the future with some exciting young signings. Butt and Solskjaer have some great raw materials to work with and develop over the next couple of years.

It's funny. We often look on with envy while Dortmund sign all the best young kids on the cheap and develop them. Then we sign 3 extremely highly rated teenagers in a day like Traore, Pellistri and Kwambwalla and it's met with almost anger from the fanbase. There's definitely valid complaints. The next couple of months will potentially be very painful for the first team. But signing quality youth players is definitely not something to moan about.
That's an excellent point, we've signed some top class talents and also competed(Haaland, Bellingham, Cherki) in the last year and this year. If we combine it with the likes of our best HG talent in Greenwood, Laird, Garner etc then it's hard not to feel optimistic about the future. Hopefully we can give them the platform to succeed.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Don't see anything to complain about this deal. He's by all accounts a top class talent and has been hyped quite in the last two years. We've seemingly got him before he reached his peak.
Expect a bid from Dortmund soon....120million

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Very good post.

KM

I actually wanted to make a thread about being optimistic of our long term future but reading all these threads are just depressing. It's a big shame that Sancho hasn't signed but I'd rather sign these players than commit huge money and wages for someone like Dembele who has serious injury and attitude issues.