Amazon buys up some UK rights for Champions League from 2024

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So fecking complicated now. Don't get me wrong, this is better for me as I have an Amazon subscription anyway (for my sins) but it's yet another fecking place to work out where the hell to watch matches. Easier to stream illegally at times.

Nero

Unless it's exclusive it just means more expense as it's two subscriptions (for anyone actually willing to pay).

Heardy

All in the name of competition for more competitive tv prices.... But now its another thing for people to subscribe to.

Thankfully i have Prime, but i'm not paying for BT on top of paying £120 a month for Sky.

Blackwidow

In Germany one of the Tuesday games of the CL usually is shown exclusively by Amazon since start of this season. I guess it will be about the same in the UK, or?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
In Germany one of the Tuesday games of the CL usually is shown exclusively by Amazon since start of this season. I guess it will be about the same in the UK, or?
Yeah probably, says in the article they get first pick of the Tuesday games.

DavelinaJolie

So I guess we're happy with a few tech companies taking over the world inch by inch.

Withnail

Will it still be free in Ireland? Prime weren't allowed show the PL games over here as they sold those games separately to some other shower. I'm wondering if this will be the same.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Remember when it was free on ITV? Simpler times
Especially when we were in it every season, and mostly we'd be on even when it moved beyond just champions.

It was rubbish if you weren't picked as the live game though.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
“Some” is a word you never want to see in relation to broadcasting rights.

Doesn’t get much worse for the consumer than that.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Most people are more likely to have prime than BT in fairness.

dinostar77

Im delighted with this. I have really missed the itv champions league highlights. Great show. Not the same just watching highlights on youtube.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
An improvement.

UCL was stolen from us to begin with though.

Get it back on terrestrial with Clive and Andy. Get the iconic ball with the dark blue stars back. Make the kickoffs 7.45 again.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
The highlights show on BT was shite last year compared to previous years. They'd cram the two English teams in 10 minutes missing out key points and the rest of the european games were quick fire highlights just showing goals and no interviews. The second half of the show was just Humpfries, Ferdinand, Owen and co stood over the touchscreen pulling up tweets from random fans moaning about owners or 'who'd you prefer in your team?' debate. Pointless drivel.

BBC will be better, but it will mean Lineker coming back that's if he's already stopped travelling round europe with his sons to watch Leicester by then.

RedDevilRoshi

Would have preferred it if it was the full rights rather than partial shared with BT. Doesn’t Premier Sports show the qualifiers before the group stages begins?

Oranges038

So I guess we're happy with a few tech companies taking over the world inch by inch.
Terminator predicted the future.

It'll be interesting to see out of all the tech companies which one is the first to send a robot back in time to stop the others.

My bet is on Amazon sending back a cyborg clone of Jimmy Hill to try and stop Rupert Murdoch and Sky from getting the rights to the premier league.

Newtonius

You would think it would make more sense for Amazon to buy a club like United and stream their games exclusively on Prime or something as an extra charge.

As it is don't really see the point if they are just going to bundle them in with a service a hell of a lot of people in the UK own anyway for the delivery service.

Last edited:

I’m loving my life

I won’t buy any of them. If not to put money into Amazon etc , but the long game should be to starve the leeching owners

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Football is much simpler (and cheaper...) To watch unofficially now. How can that make any sense. 20 years ago everything was on just a couple of channels.

The rights are far too fragmented and expensive. Need cheap streaming of all the games of the team you support.

Football still in the dinosaur era.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
While the division to several broadcasters obviously sucks, the stream quality of Amazon for football is spectacular

Good. Somebody like Amazon or Netflix needs to break Sky's stranglehold on the game. They understand the concept that people might only want to pay to see one team or one game.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Good. Somebody like Amazon or Netflix needs to break Sky's stranglehold on the game. They understand the concept that people might only want to pay to see one team or one game.
Sky hasn't had the rights to the CL since about 2015.

In fact itv had some of the rights while sky had CL football

BT ruined that and now many people have to watch the final on YouTube

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The saddest day will be when the BBC/ITV lose World Cup and Euro coverage. I hate how many different subs you need now to watch football legally. It's disgusting how much you need to spend. The worst part is that you can spend all of that money and still not be able to see all of your teams games on tv in the UK.