Amazon Prime and Premier League Rights

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Interesting way to do it. Using up their 20 game quota in two gameweeks.

Surely all 20 games will be played at different times for maximum exposure?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wow they secured some pretty big games

Smores

Can see some being annoyed at the boxing day game being on prime. Especially if you've already forked out for Sky and BT.

Clever from Amazon though, get people on for the christmas period where they might see value in prime and then see if you keep them with other offerings.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff

Interesting way to do it. Using up their 20 game quota in two gameweeks.

Surely all 20 games will be played at different times for maximum exposure?
No some will be played at the same time. It’s a round of midweek fixtures in December and the Boxing Day games.

I don’t believe it was Amazon’s choice to do it this way, this was the package that the Premier League were offering and only Amazon wanted it.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Match choice... I like it!

Hopefully this experiment will work and the next round of bidding for rights, we get more choice.

We do need rid of the Saturday 3pm blanket ban though.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Big fan of sky/bt having competition but all of these games will be shown with a 45 second delay due to them being streams.
Might not sound like much but I really struggle to watch delayed streams knowing that you can get a notification from your phone at any time with a goal.

Siorac

Big fan of sky/bt having competition but all of these games will be shown with a 45 second delay due to them being streams.
Might not sound like much but I really struggle to watch delayed streams knowing that you can get a notification from your phone at any time with a goal.
You do know it's possible to turn those notifications off, right?

Skills

Snitch
Probably to help promote Amazon prime sales for Christmas shoppers. Package it together with PL games.

robinrooney

Can see some being annoyed at the boxing day game being on prime. Especially if you've already forked out for Sky and BT.

Clever from Amazon though, get people on for the christmas period where they might see value in prime and then see if you keep them with other offerings.
They do a month's free trial so sign up for that and you get both games for free

VanGaalEra

Down for that, I've got Prime and I can bitch to Sky and BT about it to get some mahonies off my bill.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'm planning on travelling on the 27th December. There's only the evening slot they could play then, so hope they don't move many.

Siorac

Mute your WhatsApp groups
Also, and I know I'm being radical here, it's eminently possible to either just silence the phone entirely, or even leave it in another room. It's not an indispensable tool for watching football (unless you support a Van Gaal team of course).

arthurka

Surely someone is going to contest the 15:00 kick off rule at some point? It seems fecking bizarre this day and age to still have it.
It´s strange to say the least.
At the same time all the American broadcasters show these matches.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Prime is an absolute bargain anyway so this is a nice little bonus.

Wish the PL would stop living in the stone-age, remove the 3pm rule and just stream all games on a service.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I only struggle with it for gambling purposes but now I'm used to watching streams :wenger:

SirAF

Ageist

Wish the PL would stop living in the stone-age, remove the 3pm rule and just stream all games on a service.
This. You should be able to select a package with only your teams matches as well. Like the NBA game pass or something.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger

It's not the Premier League, its an old government ruling. It was put in place to prevent attendances from dropping due to the expansion of televised games.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This. You should be able to select a package with only your teams matches as well. Like the NBA game pass or something.
Yeah I just don't know why they haven't done it.

Charge 20 quid a month for their own streaming service and surely they'd be raking in far more cash than they currently do off Sky and BT.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It's not the Premier League, its an old government ruling. It was put in place to prevent attendances from dropping due to the expansion of televised games.
No one is forcing the PL to have half a dozen games at 3pm on Saturdays though.

gormless

Agreed. American sports are so far ahead in terms of monitizing the online streaming. I pay 130 a year for NFL gamepass and it’s so good.

Then i’m sat using a dodgy stream from somewhere in Asia to watch United on a Saturday 3pm kick off despite being less than 5 miles from Old Trafford. Mental