Amazon Prime and Premier League Rights

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Agreed. American sports are so far ahead in terms of monitizing the online streaming. I pay 130 a year for NFL gamepass and it’s so good.

Then i’m sat using a dodgy stream from somewhere in Asia to watch United on a Saturday 3pm kick off despite being less than 5 miles from Old Trafford. Mental
Don't American sports also have local blackouts though? If your within x miles of the stadium you can't watch the games.

gormless

Don't American sports also have local blackouts though? If your within x miles of the stadium you can't watch the games.
Fairly sure that is if attendance falls below a certain level to encourage people to attend which I believe is reasonably rare.

Though I am open to be corrected as I’m obviously not American

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
No one is forcing the PL to have half a dozen games at 3pm on Saturdays though.
We only have around 4 max these days anyway, I know we don't have every TV slot filled every weekend. We almost always have between 4-6 games televised a week, the ruling needs to be abolished just because.

TV

Fri - Night
Sat - Dinner
Sat - Tea
Sun - Dinner
Sun - Tea
Mon - Night

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The time will come, when the money starts to dry up. I think the next lot of TV rights bidding will be telling, the domestic rights will probably start to fall in revenue.
Pretty sure they already are. Aren't Sky and BT struggling for subscribers?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Surely for the next rights to make sure the revenue doesn't fall, the PL will do their own streaming service.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Does exclusive mean they have sole global rights for those games? It is a bit farcical that the PL is selling rights in a piecemeal way where fans have to subscribe to 5 different services to watch the same league.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Obviously they're doing an analytics experiment. If it ends up worth it to them I see them coming in hard cash wise on the next rights deals especially for online.

IrishRedDevil

Feck sake. I don’t have Prime and I don’t want it.

Everyone crying about Sky, yet now we have 3 different providers who all want our money.

Tiber

Awesome. I cant wait until the old system collapses and you can buy an online package to stream all of your team's games

NFL Game pass is great.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't see that being too popular, yet more outlay or you have to be a prime member to watch what was included with SKY / BT in prior seasons?

What if I detest Amazon and still wan't to watch?

Just further incentive to find other ways to watch.. I think the bubble pops this year.

Bojan11

Want people to sub to prime and then forget to cancel the next month later.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully it's a massive success for Amazon and they blow the Sky cartel out of the water at the next TV rights auction. If they lost the PL rights it would be the end of them.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I get all PL games and all CL games on Da Zone for 150 bucks for the year.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Has there been confirmation that existing Amazon Prime customers will have access to these matches? Good news if true but I'm wondering if they will ask for extra.

RedDevilRoshi

Some excellent games there.

Looks like my Prime membership became really handy after all :D

Lee565

Good, considering how easy it is to get Amazon prime for free all the time

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Has there been confirmation that existing Amazon Prime customers will have access to these matches? Good news if true but I'm wondering if they will ask for extra.
So it seems.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Beginning of the end. Soon, your Sky subscription won't mean much.

And there'll be no sole provider of all the games you want to watch.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Doubt they'll 'need' to with the spike in subscriptions this will generate. It's a boom time for them, and the lower they keep fees initially, the more they'll get on board.

Once you're hooked and adjusted to the service, i.e. not going to leave, they can slowly and surely up the price and relieve you of your moola.

0le

And there'll be no sole provider of all the games you want to watch.
Its becoming a big problem. I never thought I would say it but I miss the old days where getting access to TV channels effectively just meant either paying your cable or satellite company more money. Now depending on what you watch, you may need a subscription to Amazon, Netflix, Disney, BT Sport, Sky...I'm sure there are others...

I wonder how long it will be before the FTA (free to air) television loses FA Cup and World Cup rights...can't be long now..

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I wonder how long it will be before the FTA (free to air) television loses FA Cup and World Cup rights...can't be long now..
Won't happen in the UK. There's a law that says the WC and Euro's have to be on free to air.

Gasolin

I think it is the case, I've never seen any local games on TV live for the NBA for example.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Its becoming a big problem. I never thought I would say it but I miss the old days where getting access to TV channels effectively just meant either paying your cable or satellite company more money. Now depending on what you watch, you may need a subscription to Amazon, Netflix, Disney, BT Sport, Sky...I'm sure there are others...

It's the way all services are going now - it'll be normal in 2-5 years after the initial muttering and displeasure about being used like cattle.

All we can hope for is a happy medium, or a competitive market that forces the prices down.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Won’t everyone (in the UK) be watching on the same delay, or do you mean people in the ground?
True. I guess he’s referring to score updates though. I use FlashScore which tend to say a goal has been scored within 10 seconds of the goal being scored.

I still think if you don’t want to ruin a game’s result you should just put your phone/notifications on mute.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Want people to sub to prime and then forget to cancel the next month later.
Nah. Every time I forgot to cancel I called and they send your money back straight away.

The logic surely revolves around:

1) getting more people to use Amazon (core business, during XMAS, d'oh!). And by use I don't mean only discover, a lot of people probably have accounts but forgot their passwords, etc and can't be arsed. That's one primary reasons for customer churn in e-commerce. This makes them sort themselves out.

2) loads will try Prime (most will do it for free) and they can gage the business case for going balls in with tangible data. You do get a lot of downtime/family time during XMAS and NYE so more likely you will actually explore their streaming options.

It's a no brainer and the sort of thing a competitor like Netflix can't do because they get no online store sales upside. You have to be a fool not to leverage that.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Will not be signing up. pay quite enough now and would drop BT Sport if we weren't in the Europa. Been fleeced quite enough already thank you

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's not the Premier League, its an old government ruling. It was put in place to prevent attendances from dropping due to the expansion of televised games.
Its not a government ruling, its a football league ruling:

In the 1960s, Burnley F.C. chairman Bob Lord successfully convinced fellow Football League chairmen that televised matches on a Saturday afternoon would have a negative effect on the attendances of other football league games that were not being televised and as a result reduce their financial income.

As a result, the FA, Premier League and Football League do not permit English matches to be televised live between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday within the United Kingdom. Until recently, the FA Cup Final was an exception and was broadcast at 3pm on a Saturday in May; however, in 2012, the FA Cup Final was moved to 5pm.

And its also a flawed proposition:

It is, in fact, doubtful whether closed periods are capable of encouraging attendance at matches and participation in matches. Both activities have a completely different quality to the following of a live transmission on television. It has not been adequately shown to the Court that the closed periods actually encourage attendance at and participation in matches. Indeed, there is evidence to refute this claim: for example, in an investigation of the closed periods under competition law the Commission found that only 10 of 22 associations had actually adopted a closed period. No closed periods were adopted in France, Germany, Italy and Spain, or in Northern Ireland, that is to say, within the sphere of influence of English football.
Advocate General Kokott of the European Court of Justice[39]

RedDevilRoshi

This. You should be able to select a package with only your teams matches as well. Like the NBA game pass or something.

The NBA game pass is brilliant. I wish the PL did something very similar as you suggested. They would rake in the money and would probably spell the end for SKY/BT unless folk are happy to continue paying the extravagant prices to watch Burnley vs West Ham.