Amber Heard vs Johnny Depp | Depp wins on all 3 counts

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
You saw the same the other way round too. Depp was found guilty by many papers before the trial even started. Now they try to backpaddle in some weird ways, blaming God knows what but the fact that Heard is a lying sociopath.
This was a good overview;

Sylar

Rather a lot of assumptions in there. I have no positive feelings towards Heard whatsoever but I still felt the vitriol on here at times was pretty disgraceful, and I responded to that. Even the verdict, (which i desperately hope reflects the actual events that occurred) hasn’t changed my view on how some posters on here acted.
You say a lot of assumptions, but which parts on the whole?
As I said this is how the thread and some posters came off from just reading and not contributing until the final verdict

Smithy89

Rather a lot of assumptions in there. I have no positive feelings towards Heard whatsoever but I still felt the vitriol on here at times was pretty disgraceful, and I responded to that. Even the verdict, (which i desperately hope reflects the actual events that occurred) hasn’t changed my view on how some posters on here acted.
Well, i find her sociopathic ways and terrible acting pretty disgraceful.

Smores

“The trial has turned into a public orgy of misogyny. While most of the vitriol is nominally directed at Heard, it is hard to shake the feeling that really, it is directed at all women – and in particular, at those of us who spoke out about gendered abuse and sexual violence during the height of the #MeToo movement. We are in a moment of virulent antifeminist backlash”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/01/amber-heard-johnny-depp-trial-metoo-backlash
I've no doubt there's been a lot of misogyny on the internet, that's never a surprise.

That article is just so disappointing though. It's like they want to own domestic abuse as a feminist only issue when they should be taking gender out of it and showing concern for anyone in an abusive relationship. By making it a feminist issue they're just saying they'll always side with the woman no matter what.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You say a lot of assumptions, but which parts on the whole?
As I said this is how the thread and some posters came off from just reading and not contributing until the final verdict
Your assumptions on bias, and of people being embarrassed about it or unable to admit it. And about people ignoring negative evidence. I just didn’t see that. Perhaps there is inherent bias in what I’m about to say but I really only saw Heard getting the kind of negative one-sided treatment you describe.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Get in, now he must sue her and the papers for hundreds of millions because of defamation.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I've no doubt there's been a lot of misogyny on the internet, that's never a surprise.

That article is just so disappointing though. It's like they want to own domestic abuse as a feminist only issue when they should be taking gender out of it and showing concern for anyone in an abusive relationship. By making it a feminist issue they're just saying they'll always side with the woman no matter what.
It is because of double standards that such issues cannot be solved. It causes a us v them battle where bad faith actors succeed at the cost of others.

Fluctuation0161

[
“The trial has turned into a public orgy of misogyny. While most of the vitriol is nominally directed at Heard, it is hard to shake the feeling that really, it is directed at all women – and in particular, at those of us who spoke out about gendered abuse and sexual violence during the height of the #MeToo movement. We are in a moment of virulent antifeminist backlash”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/01/amber-heard-johnny-depp-trial-metoo-backlash
I don't think this single case should me extrapolated to represent any movement. It is an individual case in a world of 7bn people! It's certainly not the end of domestic violence and I'd go as far as to say it is an outlier, in that it will only be a small percentage of accusers who are actually the abusers!

It seems some people are trying to make this case political when it really isn't. It is an extreme example, and that is why it was entertaining for the millions who followed it! Because it was different to what it is expected.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
While Heard was guilty, the tactics used by Depp's team to paint him as the good guy will become the playbook for future trials like this.

Whoever can get out in front in the public eye on social media will have a big advantage. In this case justice was served but in the future it won't always be so just.

0le

It is because of double standards that such issues cannot be solved. It causes a us v them battle where bad faith actors succeed at the cost of others.
Agreed.

I could not even read the full article. Only the first few paragraphs were enough to turn me away.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United

Isn't all this Amber Heards fault?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

granted I didn’t watch every minute of the trial, but I’ve watched plenty of ambers testimony and I found her to be completely unconvincing. You don’t have to be a right wing nut job to conclude she was lying - as the jury did in this case.
What did the UK jury say in the local trial?

IWat

As someone who grew up in a home with an alcoholic mum who was abusive towards my dad - I find it utterly bizarre that the radical elements of the feminist movement can't see the complete double standards in not being able to celebrate this is for what it is, the vindication of a male victim. There was always going to be lunatics on both sides of the fence given the cases popularity, but the fact they can't even through gritted teeth acknowledge this for what it is and have to twist it to be about them, as always, speaks volumes of where the movement is today.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Same. Most in the culture wars give no shits for the subject they are fighting over, it it just a vehicle to push their viewpoint.
Like a vehicle is a great term. Because then you can piggy back everything, from antivaxxer shite, libertarian lunatic ideals, gun rights etc. Works on the reverse of course

Anustart89

Wow, that is such a terrible article full of agenda--driven nonsense and intentional misrepresentation of events to suit the narrative. One of the first things mentioned is how bizarre it was for the jury to find Heard guilty of defamation and then find the "hoax" comments legitimate, when those comments weren't the ones that she won the counterclaim on.

I wonder how this person would explain the instant and worldwide condemnation of Mason Greenwood from football supporters, a group that would be biased towards the footballer they support and would tend to have a misogynist or two in it.

lsd

The Oracle
I find it really bizarre that there are people who believe that Amber should be allowed to lie and ruin someones career because if she is not allowed to do this then it sends a bad message to real victims of domestic abuse.

If anyone stands up for someone who has seen their life destroyed by lies like Amber has come out with then they are nothing more than misogynist right wing animals who hate all women.

How on earth do people justify coming out with stuff like that.

Its as bad as Amber herself posting she is making a stand of freedom of speech with her lies while at the same time only allowing people who agree with her to comment.

The only people who have damaged the real issue of domestic abuse is Amber and those who are supporting her

cyberman

I find it really bizarre that there are people who believe that Amber should be allowed to lie and ruin someones career because if she is not allowed to do this then it sends a bad message to real victims of domestic abuse.

If anyone stands up for someone who has seen their life destroyed by lies like Amber has come out with then they are nothing more than misogynist right wing animals who hate all women.

Its as bad as Amber herself posting she is making a stand of freedom of speech with her lies while at the same time only allowing people who agree with her to comment.

The only people who have damaged the real issue of domestic abuse is Amber and those who are supporting her
My thoughts exactly. From constantly getting caught out with prior testimony, I really meant this etc it just destroys her character. Oh you have proof? Yeah but I’m not allowed to show it.
That’s my girlfriend is a model but she lives 2 towns over level of argument.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

There wasn’t a jury if memory serves, it was a Judge’s decision. He found that 12 of the 14 counts of abuse were on evidence substantially true.
There we go. The point is, the whole trial has effectively been trial by social media which, imo invalidates a jury trial to an extent.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There wasn’t a jury if memory serves, it was a Judge’s decision. He found that 12 of the 14 counts of abuse were on evidence substantially true.
He also thinks no way Amber was lying when she is going to donate all 7m of her divorce settlement to charity. Wonder what would the judge think now.

shaky

“Tell the world Johnny, see what a Judge or Jury thinks. Tell the world, I Johnny Depp, a man, am a victim too of domestic violence. See how many people believe or side with you.” - Amber Heard.

It's not a surprise Heard felt empowered to act this way, knowing full well that large sections of the media were going to be on her side, no matter what. Regardless of the evidence put forward or the trial outcome, some people are not willing to even consider changing their initial assumptions that she must be the victim and Depp the abuser. That article is an absolute kick in the face to genuine victims and demonstrates well how so many are still only interested in "justice" if it confirms their pre-conceived biases.

Stactix

There we go. The point is, the whole trial has effectively been trial by social media which, imo invalidates a jury trial to an extent.
But validates a retired judges verdict? That heavily relied on Amber/sister being reliable witnesses.

Disregarded many counts of third party evidence (therapist/Police statements)

Been downplayed in here but I'll say it again, the Judge in the Uk's trial son works for a company owned by Rupert Murdoch. Conflict of interest surely?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

But validates a retired judges verdict? That heavily relied on Amber/sister being reliable witnesses.

Disregarded many counts of third party evidence (therapist/Police statements)

Been downplayed in here but I'll say it again, the Judge in the Uk's trial son works for a company owned by Rupert Murdoch. Conflict of interest surely?
Why?

hobbers

Much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments going on in the Guardian opinion section. When proven wrong just double down, very Trumpian.

It shows you where their priorities really are. And that's not with the victims.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
That's terrible, the judge letting social media onto the jury. Probably should have gone with humans and kept them from reading media like every other jury trial ever.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

This is the key right here and Amber's statement after the trial just adds more fuel to this nonsense. She doubled down on it and will die on that hill

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

Where have you seen this? I’ve not seen anyone on this thread make that claim but maybe you’re referring to another part of the internet.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
And as far is the law is concerned, "substantially true" means that The Sun did they're due diligence before publishing the accusations, not that they were right. They covered their butts enough is what it means.

fallengt

This was a good overview;

Normally, AH apologists could lie their way out but since the trial was being televised and millions people have watched it. Their twisted logic doesn't work here.

This exact reason why many people quickly jumped into conclusion after UK trial. It wasn't televised, not many had a good understanding about it, AH wasn't even a main party.
Newspapers are protected by the law in UK. In US, AH is protected by 1st amendment by it doesn't cover defamation. These are two different cases.

Denis79

Poor article. She even got the facts of the verdict wrong. Doubt she watched the trial at all.