Amber Heard vs Johnny Depp | Depp wins on all 3 counts

Sylar

Your assumptions on bias, and of people being embarrassed about it or unable to admit it. And about people ignoring negative evidence. I just didn’t see that. Perhaps there is inherent bias in what I’m about to say but I really only saw Heard getting the kind of negative one-sided treatment you describe.
So again, this is from my reading of this thread and not being invested in Either side except justice (based on what we've seen in this trial the right decision was made - if further evidence is released on an appeal then I'll obviously change my stance)

As I said I won't call anybody out but since you replied it certainly seemed like you yourself were one of the people biased towards heard. You can and may disagree but you also pointed to the fact that the UK trial heavily influenced your thoughts. Your posts whilst the trial was ongoing was more negative depp than pro heard however but there certainly was a bias there

Again you may disagree and I won't argue that.

The other main poster who was obviously pro heard ignored a lot of what was bad against heard and went in against depp citing 'balance' and is now nowhere to be seen (could be coincidence so won't assume)

Heard defo deserved to be called out for all the nonsense that was going on

I also still don't agree to the notion
'They are as bad as each other' which has been said so many times.
I just didn't see that at all from the case and evidence, one is clearly worse

hobbers

I don’t think that article is particularly good but the writer may well have a point that juries react differently to emotional triggers than judges. I also don’t think the article suggests that one viewpoint is ‘worthless’ but maybe it implies it.

I was responding to the vested interests part of your post- I couldn’t, and still can’t, see the relevance of that unless you’re trying to imply that the UK verdict is somehow less valid because of it.
Valid probably isn't the right word, but of course a trial by a jury is more robust than one that rests on the whims of one judge. That's partly why they try serious cases in front of juries after all. The vested interests part just illustrates that.

It's just wild how boldly the pro-Heard line has pivoted to bashing juries and the judicial process. Talk about a lack of critical thinking skills.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Politically i am to the far left in Norway, a generally left leaning country. I found Heard incredibly hard to believe.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Also, although I take your point about the responsibility of The Sun to get it right not being absolute, here’s a quote from the judge:
“I have found that the great majority of alleged assaults of Ms Heard by Mr Depp have been proved to the civil standard”. So he DOES make a judgement on it, no?
I don't, that's why I went to an article by a lawyer, but since it's UK law I wouldn't be shocked if they're wrong.

phelans shorts

Valid probably isn't the right word, but of course a trial by a jury is more robust than one that rests on the whims of one judge. That's partly why they try serious cases in front of juries after all. The vested interests part just illustrates that.

It's just wild how boldly the pro-Heard line has pivoted to bashing juries and the judicial process. Talk about a lack of critical thinking skills.
There is a very real worry around juries and this case has really hammered it home. That’s not to say juries shouldn’t exist, but in the modern age of social media and the like, you simply cannot have cases played out in the way this one was.

Now I’ve always been of the opinion that stuff like televised court cases is deeply wrong, whether that be OJ or whatever, but add in social media and it’s highly improbable that all of the outside chatter isn’t going to get in. The two simply cannot coexist, particularly with cases with massive “public interest”.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
“The trial has turned into a public orgy of misogyny. While most of the vitriol is nominally directed at Heard, it is hard to shake the feeling that really, it is directed at all women – and in particular, at those of us who spoke out about gendered abuse and sexual violence during the height of the #MeToo movement. We are in a moment of virulent antifeminist backlash”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/01/amber-heard-johnny-depp-trial-metoo-backlash
:lol: what a moron

Strats

If she appeals which seems to be the case, does that mean that she doesn't have to pay until the they have gone through the processes of appeal?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
If she appeals which seems to be the case, does that mean that she doesn't have to pay until the they have gone through the processes of appeal?
What can she appeal on? Wouldn't she need new evidence or to prove that the jury did something wrong etc?
I'm not clued up on how appeals work to be fair

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
To be fair it is a good read if you subscribe to the notion that the majority of people were influenced by social media rather than the evidence presented. (I personally believe a portion were but that Heards own actions were enough to sour public opinion without any help from social media)

Also the "Even if people say they watched the trial, they didn't" part. I don't even have a TikTok (Or whatever you crazy kids are calling it these days).
The notion that people are swayed by the media in amber vs Johny is absurd and laughable.

It's an open court where proof and witnesses testified and scrutinized. It's not some tabloid testimonies vs he said she said.

If johny didnt go to court then yes it's media optic war. But at this rate we can safely assume amber is the wrong one and it's not even an assumption. It has been proven.

How on eaeth anyone can think otherwise is mind boggling.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Completely agree and where are they now?

I followed this case from the start and for me it was clear she was a liar as soon as I heard the audio tapes. She was trying everything in her power to piss Depp off. Not the actions of someone who's scared for her life.

And then in court: my dog stepped on a bee...

Her career is over, but nothing of value was lost because she's clearly a terrible actress.

If you think both were in the wrong then you're basically saying that being an addict is just as bad as being an abuser, which is insane.
I haven’t bothered to post in here because it’s blatantly a bunch of misogynistic knobheads slapping themselves and each other on the back and frankly I find it tiresome. I’m also surprised at the lack of moderation they have received.

Regardless of who won this case, victims of domestic abuse have lost

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I haven’t bothered to post in here because it’s blatantly a bunch of misogynistic knobheads slapping themselves and each other on the back and frankly I find it tiresome. I’m also surprised at the lack of moderation they have received.

Actually the thread title says that domestic violence has won? The abused (Depp) won against the abuser (Heard) - or are only men capable of abusing and women can do no wrong? Hmmm.

Before you call me misogynistic, I'm very much on the side of victims of domestic violence, I, my sister and my mother were consistently abused by my father for years, so I know what it's like to be in an abusive situation, or in your view should only my mother and sister be classed as victims of domestic violence because I'm a man? Or am I only a victim because the abuser was a man? What if my mother was the abuser? Do I then go back to not being a victim?

Take your head out of your sheltered thinking and look at the evidence in this case, and the evidence left out of this case due to the agreement that they wouldn't share recordings which involved 3rd parties before coming in here crying about "misogyny" when people are glad that a victim of domestic violence has won his case.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

If you've seen any genuine misogyny then you should report the posts.

Strats

What can she appeal on? Wouldn't she need new evidence or to prove that the jury did something wrong etc?
I'm not clued up on how appeals work to be fair
I'd love to see the grounds she thinks she has for appeal.

Bredehoft explaining and getting her 15 mins of fame. Saying that she was "demonized" and evidence was suppressed

Fair to say that the people(many of them are women) in the comment section are not happy

Last edited:

fergieisold

Bredehoft explaining and getting her 15 mins of fame. Saying that she was "demonized" and evidence was supressed

Fair to say that the people(many of them are women) in the comment section are not happy
Not buying it. Ultimately nobody knows the truth but Heard simply came across as an unconvincing witness - people should watch some of the trial, it’s not a surprise the jury rules in depps favour.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United

I have seen maybe 2 comments that were misogynistic. Granted, I haven't read every page, but still. What's your definition of misogynistic? Am I a misogynist because I despise Amber Heard? She's blatantly lied multiple times and obviously lost the case big time.

I respect women just the same as men.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Speaking of Misogynists .. Where is MichaelRed?

He took an absolute pummeling when Heard gave her testimony and he questioned the testimony/evidence.

If memory serves me correctly he was asked "Would you prefer if he beat her viciously?" , Accused of masturbating while fantasizing about the alleged abuse and pretty much having his character called into question constantly with people alluding to the fact he was a misogynist (if not outright stating it) etc

To a certain extent he brought some on himself with his refusal to give an inch but realistically the jury must have felt similarly about the testimony/evidence considering the verdict.

I don't think I've seen him since before the verdict.

Maybe he was one of those DeppBots I've heard so much about recently and his work here is done.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United

He took an absolute pummeling when Heard gave her testimony and he questioned the testimony/evidence.

If memory serves me correctly he was asked "Would you prefer if he beat her viciously?" , Accused of masturbating while fantasizing about the alleged abuse and pretty much having his character called into question constantly with people alluding to the fact he was a misogynist (if not outright stating it) etc

To a certain extent he brought some on himself with his refusal to give an inch but realistically the jury must have felt similarly about the testimony/evidence considering the verdict.

Maybe he was one of those DeppBots I've heard so much about recently and his work here is done.
I've been wondering the same :lol:

Wolverine

Its a whole lot of the internet. And many in real life have had their opinions shaped too I reckon by social media.

Not to exonerate her completely with regards to behaviour but there is something here for those looking to maybe understand why people feel the way they feel about this verdict

https://www.readthepresentage.com/p...ampaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=direct

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Ive been in and out of this thread (and the court case) so can’t comment with 100% certainty but I think there is a difference between people criticising Amber because she’s a woman and criticising her because of the things she said, the things she did, the things she messaged, how she came across in court.

There are posts criticising her but I haven’t seen any “stupid woman, stick to the housework” type stuff (could’ve missed some) but if there are and you want moderation… tell a mod?

hobbers

Its a whole lot of the internet. And many in real life have had their opinions shaped too I reckon by social media.

Not to exonerate her completely with regards to behaviour but there is something here for those looking to maybe understand why people feel the way they feel about this verdict

https://www.readthepresentage.com/p...ampaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=direct
That article is maybe even more deranged and chilling than the guardian opinion swill.

"The most convincing evidence is the big picture."

Creepy blinkered weirdos writing these things.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
That article is maybe even more deranged and chilling than the guardian opinion swill.

Yeah it's shocking

"The bleak spectacle of the Amber Heard-Johnny Depp trial

How a washed-up celebrity, men’s rights activists and true crime stans convinced millions of Americans to buy into a conspiracy theory"

Smores

Yeah but you don't agree with him so you must have been brainwashed by social media.

NotThatSoph

:lol: what a moron
This case is somewhat similar to the Jussie Smollett one, and it that case a lot of the abuse and vitrol wasn't limited to him, but was directed at all (black) victims of hate crimes. Every single time a hate crime against a black person happens a lot of Internet people will invoke Smollett and call fake. It has even happened here on Redcafe. It's not everyone, of course, and even far from a majority, but it was and is widespread.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to believe that the same thing is going on here. People in this thread are even implicitly saying it when they say that Heard has damaged real victims of domestic abuse. If we really just were talking about Heard then that shouldn't impact other women at all, but people are saying that it will.

NotThatSoph

He was last active yesterday around 14, and had an absolute meltdown throwing around insults like candy. Now his tagline is "New Member", which I think indicates a ban but his profile is visible and he is online so I don't know. You can't see the profile of permabanned people, I think, so it's not that, but maybe it's a temp.

hobbers

Yeah but you don't agree with him so you must have been brainwashed by social media.
Haha yeh no doubt.

Never mind that for people like him, social media crusading is their entire being. But they lack the introspection to ever stop and think about how their own views and values might have been warped.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He was last active yesterday around 14, and had an absolute meltdown throwing around insults like candy. Now his tagline is "New Member".
Does that mean he got banned? Is it possible to be demoted?

I'm relatively new here and don't want to go back to the Newbies!

Although the conversation around this trial in the newbies must be pretty entertaining (and vile) if my time there was anything to go by.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Does that mean he got banned? Is it possible to be demoted?

I'm relatively new here and don't want to go back to the Newbies!

Although the conversation around this trial in the newbies must be pretty entertaining (and vile) if my time there was anything to go by.
Yes usually indicative of a ban, although the poster in question has a custom tagline which does not revert if I recall correctly. So I think that NTS is pulling your leg.

Last edited:

sport2793

This case is somewhat similar to the Jussie Smollett one, and it that case a lot of the abuse and vitrol wasn't limited to him, but was directed at all (black) victims of hate crimes. Every single time a hate crime against a black person happens a lot of Internet people will invoke Smollett and call fake. It has even happened here on Redcafe. It's not everyone, of course, and even far from a majority, but it was and is widespread.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to believe that the same thing is going on here. People in this thread are even implicitly saying it when they say that Heard has damaged real victims of domestic abuse. If we really just were talking about Heard then that shouldn't impact other women at all, but people are saying that it will.
I agree with this point to a certain extent, I don't think Amber Heard represents all victims of DV and as a result we should continue to take claims of DV from women extremely seriously. But as a society, a lot of folks want to go away from innocent until proven guilty. That's the problem I have.

Denis79

:lol:

That'sHernandez

If you've seen any genuine misogyny then you should report the posts.
What about the guy who implied that a woman can't possibly have been beaten up unless she looks like Rihanna after Chris Brown's assault, ie black and blue?

There was a three page debate on what a broken nose looks like...

Unfortunately none of it is direct misogyny, it's all far more insidious than that and if not outright misogyny it's a definite lack of respect for women.

That'sHernandez

I have seen maybe 2 comments that were misogynistic. Granted, I haven't read every page, but still. What's your definition of misogynistic? Am I a misogynist because I despise Amber Heard? She's blatantly lied multiple times and obviously lost the case big time.

I respect women just the same as men.
My definition of misogynistic is the standard definition.

I find it weird you despise a woman you don't know. She certainly doesn't enamour herself to me at all, and I found her behaviour on the stand somewhat unconvincing. However, I have been cross examined myself and I can appreciate anything you say can and will be twisted to get the outcome the cross examining lawyer/barrister wants. I don't know what exactly happened between Depp and Heard because I wasn't there to witness it, but I'm inclined to believe both were as abusive as each other.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What about the guy who implied that a woman can't possibly have been beaten up unless she looks like Rihanna after Chris Brown's assault, ie black and blue?

There was a three page debate on what a broken nose looks like...

Unfortunately none of it is direct misogyny, it's all far more insidious than that and if not outright misogyny it's a definite lack of respect for women.
Seriously, report it if you find it to be misogynistic or disrespectful. I'm not being sneaky or anything.If the mods missed it because nobody reported it then it's unfair to say they don't take matters like misogyny seriously.

That'sHernandez

Seriously, report it if you find it to be misogynistic or disrespectful. I'm not being sneaky or anything. If the mods missed it because nobody reported it then it's unfair to say they don't take matters like misogyny seriously.
Fair enough, I will in future. I'm not going to trawl through the thread and look again because the moment has passed and I doubt anyone fancies having to deal with that.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

I wish I had your certainty. I got slowly more untrusting off Heard for obvious reasons as the trial went on- but reading that just makes think about the What Ifs. What if she is telling the truth? It’s an abysmal situation.

That'sHernandez

Actually the thread title says that domestic violence has won? The abused (Depp) won against the abuser (Heard) - or are only men capable of abusing and women can do no wrong? Hmmm.

Before you call me misogynistic, I'm very much on the side of victims of domestic violence, I, my sister and my mother were consistently abused by my father for years, so I know what it's like to be in an abusive situation, or in your view should only my mother and sister be classed as victims of domestic violence because I'm a man? Or am I only a victim because the abuser was a man? What if my mother was the abuser? Do I then go back to not being a victim?

Take your head out of your sheltered thinking and look at the evidence in this case, and the evidence left out of this case due to the agreement that they wouldn't share recordings which involved 3rd parties before coming in here crying about "misogyny" when people are glad that a victim of domestic violence has won his case.
Sheltered thinking? Get out of here you patronising pillock. I haven't said men can't be the victims of domestic abuse, and I know full well they can from personal experience myself. Unlike you, I am not acting like Johnny Depp, a domestic abuser, is whiter than white, or celebrating the fact he won. If you gave a damn about the victims of domestic abuse, you wouldn't be celebrating him.