Television American Murder: The Family Next Door

acnumber9

Have a look at the Hare Psycopathy checklist. He ticks a lot of them.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The mistress is suspicious if you google her: Nichol Kissenger.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Been intrigued by this since it unfortunately happened. Chris Watts has the worst poker face ever. The body cam footage when they're reviewing the neighbours CCTV footage was a massive giveaway. Hands on his heads, pacing around, looking worried. Shannan's best friend also did well to alert authorities almost instantly that something was wrong.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just watched this, Jesus fecking Christ.

Apparently the cnut gets fan mail in prison. What the actual feck is wrong with people.

Woodzy

Saw this yesterday, was a bit mad.

Was it ever revealed how he killed the kids? He didn’t throw them in he tanks alive did he?!

I assumed he was just normal guy that did something insane in the heat of the moment, up until the point where he said that on the day he killed his wife he just woke up and knew it had to happen.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Saw this yesterday, was a bit mad.

Was it ever revealed how he killed the kids? He didn’t throw them in he tanks alive did he?!

I assumed he was just normal guy that did something insane in the heat of the moment, up until the point where he said that on the day he killed his wife he just woke up and knew it had to happen.
Think he smothered them both before dropping them into the tanks. Dunno how anyone parent could do that.

DavelinaJolie

I've watched a lot of true crime docs, and the one that I found hardest to watch was Dear Zachary, this one sounds quite similar and I'm not sure I could endure it.

Irrational.

Classic example of the 'perfect' family on social media, when all is falling apart behind the scenes.

You could tell Chris was guilty from the very first shot of him. His neighbour also showed good instinct to say all was not well with him.

His parents are also cnuts for sticking up for him and publicly forgiving him at trial. Classic spineless parents who can see nothing wrong in their perfect child.

Hope he rots in prison, the monster.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
The polygraph is BS by the way. It doesn’t detect lying. Even if he didn’t “fail” it, the detectives were very good in stringing him along and convincing him that he was lying and getting him to eventually confess.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Like others, I went on an ‘investigation’ about this one already. I got more out of this vid where his mannerisms are dissected, and it is not as tear-inducing.

I recommend this JCS channel as he has some good stuff occasionally.

Lay

He tried to kill the kids before he killed the wife. He was startled that they woke up and remarked that one of them had bruising on her face from where he smothered her.

Was all this because he wanted to be with his mistress?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The polygraph is BS by the way. It doesn’t detect lying. Even if he didn’t “fail” it, the detectives were very good in stringing him along and convincing him that he was lying and getting him to eventually confess.
That's its main purpose. To convince uninformed people that it can detect lying. Also, you didn't need a polygraph to see that guy's story sounded complete bullshit.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The woman was all nice to him before he took it. Trying to gain his trust so that he would own up them when the pressure is put on.

reelworld

Saw it last week, I almost couldn't finished it and his daughter last words is still on my mind to this day.
I have a daughter in similar age, and I just couldn't fathom how he can wrapped his head on the idea of killing his. And he didn't do it in a fit of rage or anything. He had time to think about it for 45 minutes during their drive to the burial site. Some times, when I see my daughter, I got reminded of her daughter last words. Feck me :(

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I personally think there are elements of psychopathy to him. The fact that he was able to go on date with his mistress in the town where he resides speaks volumes about his mentality. He did not care about been caught.
:lol: That's something that a feck tonne of people do. It's got nothing to do with being a psychopath.

djdhrubs

Got two young kids. Can't think of any reason whatsoever for me to watch this having read this thread.

United Hobbit

That was chilling, those poor children they seemed lovely well brought up children.

I'd be intrigued to know if he was on steroids. Roid rage? Glad he didn't get the death penalty he deserves to hear "daddy no" everyday for the rest of his life. He was cheating on her as well. Her poor parents having to listen to people after he blamed the childrens' death on her. Do we think anyone influenced him something didnt come across right about that woman he was seeing. Also would have been interesting to hear from his mum given she supposedly had the row with her- did she know the children were allergic? Or genuine mistake? His confession was chilling and the sending the texts etc to pretend he was worried...
Thought it was really well done, it wasn't boring the texts etc broke it up nicely

United Hobbit

As an aside, is there anything similar out there in this sort of style? Found this a really interesting though sad watch and would be interested in more of the same sort of thing?

Lay

As an aside, is there anything similar out there in this sort of style? Found this a really interesting though sad watch and would be interested in more of the same sort of thing?
There’s the WWE wrestler Chris Beniot case. Killed his son and wife over 2-3 days. There’s a couple documentaries on YouTube I believe

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez on Netflix is an excellent, similar(ish) docuseries. Probably even tougher to watch, though.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
There's a bit of a YouTube rabbit hole with this case, which I stumbled upon. It looks increasingly like his mistress could have been in on this.

She deleted loads of messages, googled things about covering up murder etc. And, the strangest thing, she was googling the killer about a year before they met. It seems like she stalked him for some reason and managed to place herself at the same company. Although some people were saying they think her dad may own the business. I didn't look into it any further.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah, though there is a good sense of justice at the end at least, which can't be said for a lot of these types of shows.
In one sense yea, but the fact that it basically happened again to another kid shows how utterly fecked the system is.

AshRK

Depressing watch. No way one can or should sympathize with such killers. If you wanted to start a new life and live with the other girl then divorce and leave. Killing people and that too 2 young babies and one unborn is pathetic. Feck people writing him letters.

djdhrubs

fecking heartbreaking that series
Just read a brief wikipedia entry about this case. What is the appeal for you (and others) watching something like this? I don't mean that in a rude way, just curious. Reading that I've just read makes me absolutely not want to watch anything like that, because it's a real case. I suppose when I watch or hear about atrocities committed against other human beings, for example in a series like Mindhunter, I have a sort of emotional cushion because it's a drama series with actors playing a part.

Is there a valuable insight to be gained by watching it? Is it somehow rewarding? Does it make you appreciate, say, your own kids more in some respect, or want to do better for them?

I was reading a BBC article a few months ago about some sick feck who had an obsession with throwing a kid from a height, and acted it out at Tate Modern I think when he threw a random 6 or 7 year old kid from one of the upper floors down into the main foyer. He's still alive but permanently disabled. Obviously made me think of my 6 year old son and how I'd feel if something like that suddenly happened to him. I regretted even hearing about it.

Anyway, in short, what do you get out of it?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just read a brief wikipedia entry about this case. What is the appeal for you (and others) watching something like this? I don't mean that in a rude way, just curious. Reading that I've just read makes me absolutely not want to watch anything like that, because it's a real case. I suppose when I watch or hear about atrocities committed against other human beings, for example in a series like Mindhunter, I have a sort of emotional cushion because it's a drama series with actors playing a part.

Is there a valuable insight to be gained by watching it? Is it somehow rewarding? Does it make you appreciate, say, your own kids more in some respect, or want to do better for them?

I was reading a BBC article a few months ago about some sick feck who had an obsession with throwing a kid from a height, and acted it out at Tate Modern I think when he threw a random 6 or 7 year old kid from one of the upper floors down into the main foyer. He's still alive but permanently disabled. Obviously made me think of my 6 year old son and how I'd feel if something like that suddenly happened to him. I regretted even hearing about it.

I don’t really have a “good” answer to that to be honest, but I think it boils down to a natural curiosity and fascination with human psychology and the minds of “evil” people.

The true crime genre has unquestionably become more popular in recent years, but our collective intrigue over serial killers etc. is not new.

djdhrubs

I don’t really have a “good” answer to that to be honest, but I think it boils down to a natural curiosity and fascination with human psychology and the minds of “evil” people.

The true crime genre has unquestionably become more popular in recent years, but our collective intrigue over serial killers etc. is not new.
Yeah I understand. To be honest my attitude has probably changed with age. I'd probably be all over this kinda thing in my teens or 20's. Now not so much, unless it's drama.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Having two young daughters myself (younger than Watts’, incidentally), I thought long and hard before beginning to watch this. Very difficult viewing and that evil cnut doesn’t deserve the comfort of a life spent in the relative safety of a prison.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The home video footage of them just being a normal family really threw me off. I started out really not even suspecting the father because pf how normal and nice the footage made him look.

If he really hated his wife and kids, I mean really hated them, it still wouldn't excuse anything, but one could at least from a logical perspective understand why he killed them. If all he wanted was a new life with the new girlfriend and he felt like his family was in the way, why didn't he just leave? It makes no sense. Walk out and never look back. Yeah he'd be a deadbeat father but the mother and her kids would still be alive.

Last edited:

Bosws87

The short of it for most young people is that they are relatively numb to stuff like this because of the internet, not to say you don't care but you come across so much stuff like this throughout day to day living now its just "the norm".

This is incredibly tame compared to half of the stuff kids/young adults share in group chats etc.

Speaking strictly from my experiences though, i couldn't physically do such actions myself but as with the pandemic at the moment i find it hard to put the deaths and numbers as real people.

But this is a whole topic in itself the internet as a whole has done incredible things but some hugely negative things.

AshRK

I've watched a lot of true crime docs, and the one that I found hardest to watch was Dear Zachary, this one sounds quite similar and I'm not sure I could endure it.
Watched Dear Zachary and it was even more depressing. Sad story.

United Hobbit

The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez on Netflix is an excellent, similar(ish) docuseries. Probably even tougher to watch, though.
Just watching it now, on episode 3. I don't have kids though hope to in the future. It's a very hard watch that mother's day card is heartbreaking

Hope the lot of them (dont know the outcome yet as still watching) get the absolute harshest punishment. The death penalty is almost too good for them they should be made to suffer every single injury he did.
Don't tell me the outcome but do we get to see the outcome for the social workers trial? Really interested to see what happens to them. Sounds like some of the police failed him too
I dont believe his uncles molested him i thunk the "mother" was using it to make sure they didnt make a custody claim for him. Also all those diagnosis about her being traumatised etc, sorry but the way she has played the social care system she knows full well what she's doing and I hope she doesn't get off on an insanity plea

Last edited: