Amy Coney-Barrett | Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
one senator today IIRC said that Trump appointed over 100 lower court judges, non of them were black and only 20 percent weren't white -i guess latinos and asians-.
But seriously, judges work with the laws that the legislature provides, and for what i see some state legislatures have very shit laws
These are the federal judge appointees that are at the circuit court & appeals court levels and, yes, they mostly fit a very defined aesthetic, unfortunately (not to mention that some are woefully under qualified for such positions).

Most all state judges are appointed by governors, committees, or are voted in (IIRC).

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
These are the federal judge appointees that are at the circuit court & appeals court levels and, yes, they mostly fit a very defined aesthetic, unfortunately (not to mention that some are woefully under qualified for such positions).

Most all state judges are appointed by governors, committees, or are voted in (IIRC).
I understand that, in argentina we replicate the USA judicial system. Our constitution follows very much, yours

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
When did come into play? For how long as your judicial system mirrored ours?
Our constitution was written in 1853, and we adopted the from the USA the three branches of goverment.
The dual judicial system -federal and state-
And both senators and deputies
We also used to have -till 1994- an electoral college, and we miss it

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I did a quick search on the following, but could not find any answers:

Has there ever been a modern SCOTUS nominee who has not taken a case to trial? Or, on a more specific note, has there ever been a SCOTUS nominee ever that has allowed the testimony of a hypnotized witness to stand?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I did a quick search on the following, but could not find any answers:

Has there ever been a modern SCOTUS nominee who has not taken a case to trial? Or, on a more specific note, has there ever been a SCOTUS nominee ever that has allowed the testimony of a hypnotized witness to stand?
Wait what? :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
No idea how common that is but seems pretty wild, doubly so as the fact he was hypnotised wasn't revealed. Lifetime appointment - sorted.
Only witness too, apparently.

I am no lawyer / never been to law school, but I don’t think I have ever heard of a trial of this nature hinge on the testimony of someone who was under hypnosis.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
One thing that amazes me is the importance that the judges have in the USA. In Argentina most people have no idea who are the SC judges.
I'd imagine it is the same in most countries. I only knew the name of one of the ones in the UK, and that was last year due to Boris proroguing parliament. It went to the Supreme Court, Lady Hale (President at the time) announced the verdict wearing a spider brooch which made the headlines of the papers. She's no longer on the Court.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I'd imagine it is the same in most countries. I only knew the name of one of the ones in the UK, and that was last year due to Boris proroguing parliament. It went to the Supreme Court, Lady Hale (President at the time) announced the verdict wearing a spider brooch which made the headlines of the papers. She's no longer on the Court.
that should be the normal in every civilized country

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
These things tend to balance out. Once it becomes clear that Amy/Alito/Thomas are willing to pass some serious shite, one of Gorsuch or Kavanaugh will join Roberts in dissenting. Just like Kennedy, Souter, Stevens all did at some point in their tenure. These days the younger justices will all know folk who have had abortions, are gay etc. Maybe not Amy because it's quite clear she's deeply religious and a bit messed-up.

Not that it's all great. Citizen's United won't be getting looked at again for a very long time. Maybe in some ways that's even more troubling than civil liberties.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Why is she no longer on the court, do y’all have term limits on serving in your SC?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why is she no longer on the court, do y’all have term limits on serving in your SC?
75 is the mandatory retirement age for judges appointed before 1995. I think after then it was changed to 70 and there was a consultation this year on whether it should be increased to 72 or 75. Weirdly, the consultation ended today... freaky.

All but one of the 12 judges are 62 or older, with the youngest being 58.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I knew that Obama (and Biden) went out of his way to endorse Feinstein in her election against a progressive Democrat (this was the general, no fear of a conservative beating the progressive afterwards).

What I didn't know is that Bernie (or anyone else, really) did not endorse the challenger, which really reflects badly.

Revan

Assumptionman
She seems very much despicable. Unfortunately, also quite competent and smart. The female Scalia (as has been called from others).

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
She reminds me of a middle-aged Amanda Knox.

Tiber

People may not like her politics, But she comes across as unusually intelligent and competent by the standards of US politics. She isn't even 85, which is nothing short of jaw dropping.

The idea of political courts still makes my skin crawl. Deciding vitally important court cases via party political appointments is a terrible system.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
People may not like her politics, But she comes across as unusually intelligent and competent by the standards of US politics. She isn't even 85, which is nothing short of jaw dropping.

The idea of political courts still makes my skin crawl Deciding court cases via political appointments is a terrible system.
She’s let hypnosis stand as testimony & basically ruled in favor of a rapist’s employer. She falls well outside of the competency required for a SCOTUS judge.

Is she more competent than a typical politician? That’s a different debate.

Skeezix

She’s let hypnosis stand as testimony & basically ruled in favor of a rapist’s employer. She falls well outside of the competency required for a SCOTUS judge.

Is she more competent than a typical politician? That’s a different debate.
Have you read the full judgement and the opinions she wrote while pronouncing the judgement or are you saying that stuff based on the news sources, news media or twitter?

I think when it comes to judgements from any judges of district court, federal courts and specially Supreme Courts, it is good to read into the full opinion if you have the time. Or at least into the summary of the judgement.