An apology to Harry Maguire

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m sorry Harry. I love you & I miss you.

I’ll never call you slab head again. Unless it’s a term of endearment, in which case I’ll chant it with pride.

el3mel

I'm fecking sorry for any bad word I have said about you previously. Just be back and ready for EL final. Don't let these clowns play instead of you.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Big defender for us, he truly deserves a better partner in that defensive role, hope we can sort it out this summer.

spiriticon

He has his flaws, but he is far better than the rest of our clowns at CB

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Feck off, I too have slated him but he is our most important player.

hobbers

I will call him slab head. But I will no longer underrate the mammoth task of babysitting Shaw and Lindelof/Bailly, and Fred as well for that matter, for 90 minutes every game.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

SER19

We actually looked like a conference side from Henderson through to fred and McTominay. Awb played ok. But that's not an exaggeration, it looked like one of those cup ties where a prem side never leaves second gear knowing they'll score a few anyway

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't rate him but it's clear he's better than the other defenders we have, unfortunately.

RedChisel

He has clearly been holding together this shit defence all season. We not be in 2nd without him.

Ace of Spades

I never got the hate for him, as if the price tag was his fault. We could have gotten him earlier for cheaper, only ourselves to blame for that one.

Also, don't the stats show that he leads most metrics in defensive actions.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah, I was wrong. Well, he is slow, but yeah, he’s been great lately & is easily our best centre back. I was wrong. What more do you want from me?
To stop making reactive posts every time something happens. But I know that'll never happen. If he scores an own goal in the Europa League final then it's back to being awful again.

Mainoldo

I’m joining the club. Sorry Harry.. any consultation I liked you at Hull City.

cyberman

Not just his presense but I noticed how shit we were passing it from the back without him as well. Maguire stepping forward is something wr rely on heavily.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
Noy just his presense but I noticed how shit we were passing it from the back without him as well. Maguire stepping forward is something wr rely on heavily.
Aye. Our passing out the back isn't great at all, far from it, but without Maguire, it somehow got even worse. I could barely watch our attempts at it tonight.

The Original

Never been one to criticize Maguire as much as others do because he's clearly above average. At least top 5 in the league. But it takes more than one game to prove that he's the glue holding it together and everyone else is rubbish. Could be easily down to other factors.

Redfrog

We have no organization without him. Getting nervy as f*ck. We need another defender alongside him who is not sh*tting his pants when he has to defend.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Good thread @Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Even Shaw had a bad game tonight. It can't be a coincidence that he has his first bad game in a long time on the very night Maguire is absent from the team sheet.

Maguire's ability to lead and organize a defence cannot be overstated. He is quality.

Agila Dathi

But why? Our defence is shit with him, and without him.
We have one of the worst record in the league when it comes to defending set pieces, yet he’s played in most of our games.
Maguire doesn’t stop Fred from being shit, he doesn’ stop Rashford being stupid and he doesn’t make our GK’s good.
Sure, he’s not as shit as Lindelöf, but that doesn’t make him good either.

Judas

Open to offers
We have one of the worst record in the league when it comes to defending set pieces, yet he’s played in most of our games.
Maguire doesn’t stop Fred from being shit, he doesn’ stop Rashford being stupid and he doesn’t make our GK’s good.
Weirdest argument award goes too....

Phil

Well if there's one good thing to come out of his injury...

I like Harry and am happy with him but he like all of our defensive players, is also prone to moments of panic and madness.. Just less.

This. We have major problems at centre-back, Maguire or no. We really need to sign a world class centre-back asap.

Walters_19_MuFc

We missed Maguire tonight and he's by far our most complete defender but just last week we could have conceded 5 goals against an average Roma with Maguire in our defence.

I think we are very weak at set pieces and our pressing as a UNIT, despite the improvement, needs a lot of work.

Born2Lose

Watching Fred at £50m, Matic at £35m and Lindelof and Bailly at £30m+ each makes Maguire look a bargain.