An "easy" or "memorable" run to a final?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
To be fair, fecking up an "easy" run is memorable.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal @Vato The dream CL winning run:
R16 Baldy Cnutiola
QF best english/german/italian team
SF Barcelona
Final Pateticos de Madrid, in as devastating a fashion as possible(like Lisbon :drool::drool::drool:)

With the final played at the camp nou, bernabeu, metropolitano or mestalla

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
That being said, I’ll take a few easy runs to the trophy until we get to 5 or 6 since Liverpool had the pleasure of dicking small clubs back in the day before the UCL format. Getting them to shut the feck up about their “5 times” would be glorious in its own right.
:lol:

Aboutreika18

Memorable, always. You can't beat our '99 run, where we had Bayern and Barca in the group stages, Inter and Juve in the knockouts and Bayern again in the final.

'08 was great, Kiev, Sporting and Roma was a decent group, Lyon were a good side and caused us many problems, Roma again, Barca and then a strong Chelsea in the final.

Conversely '11 was pretty mediocre. Valencia were a good side in the group stage but Marseille and Schalke in the knockouts, along with an inconsistent Chelsea side were not particularly memorable. In fact, the most memorable part was probably Neuer's outstanding performance in that first leg.

El Zoido

I have absolutely no preference as long as we lift the trophy.

El Pasillo

It's a very logical choice for picking an easy run when it comes to your team.

When it's all said and done, the history books will only remember the winners.

Nobody gives a fecking shite about if your team wins cup tournament thanks to easy draws or unfair decisions.

For example: Southampton scored a goal that was wrongly disallowed during League Cup final last year, but Manchester United won that game.

When Real won the 2016 Champions league they faced Roma, Wolfsburg and City. No disrespect to those teams but its easier than facing say Bayern, Barcelona then Juventus.
Also, we should also not forget that Real Madrid had very lucky moments on their side during these matches.

https://streamja.com/ERb

Bobski

It matters, one of the reasons why 99 is so legendary, the whole campaign was memorable. Partly goes back to point of greater parity in European football, a number of teams were live threats. Conversely I can barely remember many of the teams we played last year in the Europa League run, it was an uninspiring grind.

I am one of those Journey as important as Destination types though.

witchtrials

The '99 Champions League win was so enjoyable not just because it completed the treble but because it felt like we'd conquered some of the best to win the thing. The draw threw us up against Bayern x 2, Barcelona x 2 , ahem Brondby x 2, Inter, a great Juventus side and then Bayern again.

Quite aside from that I think that coming up against top European opponents is something that a team gets better at with experience. Seems like City have had some tough draws in Europe in the last few years but I think that they have become a better CL team because of it. Whereas I suspect that our run to the Europa League final - Saint-Étienne, Rostov, Anderlecht, Celta Vigo and Ajax - taught us comparatively little.

Last edited:

Bobski

The '99 win was so enjoyable not just because it completed the treble but because it felt like we'd conquered some of the best to win the thing. The draw threw us up against Bayern x 2, Barcelona x 2 , ahem Brondby x 2, Inter, a great Juventus side and then Bayern again
That Inter team had a very talented squad as well, Pagliuca, Bergomi, Colonnese, Taribo West, Dario Simic, Zanetti, Djorkaeff, Aron Winter, Diego Simeone, Pirlo, Paulo Sousa, Ronaldo, Baggio, Zamorano, and a few others like Recoba, Kanu, didn't he have a heart issue at the time?, Silvestre, Ze Elias, Cauet as backs ups.

Last edited:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
A memorable one obviously. But if the choice is between no final and an easy run to it, then its going to be the easy run.