An FA Cup final you remember and why?

simplyared

I’ll go for the 1966 final Everton v Sheffield Wednesday:

We’d lost to Everton in the semi (without Best who was out through injury) which took place at Burnden Park. I was 13 at the time and went to the game with my dad. An odd goal by Colin Harvey meant we wouldn’t be going to Wembley. This would prove to be my biggest disappointment in all the years I’ve followed utd.

In those days winning the FA Cup was almost as important as winning the league. In terms of prestige it was even better. However Everton would meet Shefield Wednesday in the final and were clear favourites to win the trophy.

100,000 fans at wembley saw the underdogs take a 2 goal lead just after the break.
But it was an unknown who would change the outcome of this game. A young Mike Trebilcock who’d been thrown into the Everton side by the manager Catterick instead of the popular Fred Pickering. Trebilcock scoring 2 goals and then a third by Derek Temple saw the Everton players receive the cup from Princess Margaret.

Remember going straight out into the park with my mates afterwards. We got a game going. I was Mike Trebilcock and was just bangin them in!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Most of them in the past 18-20 years. Why? Because I watched them and have a decent memory.

norm87cro

King Eric vs the Dippers in 96. I really don't think anything will top that during my life time. Everything that day still is so vivid in my memory

FireballXL5

1976 I was devastated losing to Southampton. Cried for a week!
Highlights....Norman Whiteside, Lou Macari and Eric.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Apart from our finals, Chelsea vs Boro

Denis' cuff

We’d lost to Everton in the semi (without Best who was out through injury) which took place at Burnden Park. I was 13 at the time and went to the game with my dad. An odd goal by Colin Harvey meant we wouldn’t be going to Wembley. This would prove to be my biggest disappointment in all the years I’ve followed utd.

In those days winning the FA Cup was almost as important as winning the league. In terms of prestige it was even better. However Everton would meet Shefield Wednesday in the final and were clear favourites to win the trophy.

100,000 fans at wembley saw the underdogs take a 2 goal lead just after the break.
But it was an unknown who would change the outcome of this game. A young Mike Trebilcock who’d been thrown into the Everton side by the manager Catterick instead of the popular Fred Pickering. Trebilcock scoring 2 goals and then a third by Derek Temple saw the Everton players receive the cup from Princess Margaret.

Remember going straight out into the park with my mates afterwards. We got a game going. I was Mike Trebilcock and was just bangin them in!
Yeah, we’d just got beaten by Partizan Belgrade a few days earlier if memory serves. Denis was either missing or all strapped up and could barely run.

wanted Wednesday to win that but their half back, Young dropped a Clanger at 2-0 up and let Trebilcock in

that was the final when the Everton streaker ran on, before streaking got boring. Copper put his helmet over the fans helmet. :)

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

I was only 9 at the time & I didn't watch the match, but the thing I do remember just after the match finished is an old lady running up & down the street with her hair in curlers & a cigarette hanging out of her mouth screaming "we've won it, we've won it". Brings back memories playing footie as a kid & when we used to argue with each other about who got to choose to be their favourite player. I always wanted to be Roger Hunt but had to settle for Ian St John on many occasions.

Guiseppe Rossi

My first memory of an fa cup final was beating Everton 1-0 with a beauty from Whiteside after Kevin Moran had been sent off for us
Emotional rollercoaster

Josh 76

All of them from 1984 to the late 90s.
Probably because the FA cup was a major trophy back then.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Man Utd Vs Liverpool in 96. It was the first and only football match that made me cry. I was 12.

Web of Bissaka

Rare seeing United reach FA Cup finals nowadays so..

1) Don't remember much but the Robson show if I remember correctly, he led the team to victory in a fun final.

The two most recent Finals under LVG and Mou.
2) Lingard scored. Job done in an otherwise boring game.
3) Rubbish heavy performances by our players who seemed dejected for some reasons. Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku and Martial, etc were so "heavy".

simplyared

Yeah, we’d just got beaten by Partizan Belgrade a few days earlier if memory serves. Denis was either missing or all strapped up and could barely run.

wanted Wednesday to win that but their half back, Young dropped a Clanger at 2-0 up and let Trebilcock in

that was the final when the Everton streaker ran on, before streaking got boring. Copper put his helmet over the fans helmet. :)
Yeah that streaker. Forgot to mention that. It took the 2nd copper who rugby tackled him to the ground. Of course adding to the entertainment. That game had everything!

RMD83

Man Utd Vs Liverpool in 96. It was the first and only football match that made me cry. I was 12.
Same here. Can’t say I cried though, that’s a tad dramatic. I was 13. I remember watching it on tv with my Dad and brother. It was by no means a classic game, but a classic event. The white suits, the Cantona goal and obviously the rivalry. It came at a time as well that solidified us as the top team in a new era. 3 PL titles and 2 FA Cups and to beat them at Wembley as favourites clarified that their era of dominance was over. Sadly our era of dominance is well and truly over now so it makes me appreciate these moments more.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The 09 final. I was 16 so it was the first time I could remember us in contention for a trophy and I went absolutely mad when Saha scored because I knew it was too early and I'd have to get my celebration out in that goal. I do wonder if that would have changed the mentality at the club as we have a real weakness mentally surrounding us that we can't shake off. Winning that final could have helped. I think it was also the season where we beat Liverpool in the 4th round. It was on ITV and the game cut out just as we scored. Scenes.

Sky Blue Red

1979 v Arsenal.
I was only 7 at the time and I remember jumping about like an eegit after we scored 2 in the last few mins to make it 2-2, then stumping off in a huff when Arsenal scored the winner

Reactions: Cheimoon

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Final in 99. A week after being at Old Trafford to see us win the league in dramatic fashion, and dreaming of the treble.....it was actually nice that we kind of coasted comfortably to the cup against Newcastle. Great day and anticipation for three days later!! And Solskjear has won it

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Apart from our finals, Chelsea vs Boro
Same. Watched the build up and kick off and for some reason turned over just after. Was looking at a story on teletext and then for some reason checked the score, which came up with the 1st minute Di Matteo goal so quickly switched back!

Red Royal

1983 vs Brighton, including the easy replay. 1st game had everything. Can never forget Gary Bailey making that last gasp save to keep is in it!

ricky-romeo

2005 and 2007 were massively dissapointing.

Battered Arsenal for 120minutes and then losing on penalties.

And Drogba last minute of extra time goal.

1999- I was never more confident of United winning a cup final than this game. Already thinking of Bayern then.

2004- Ronaldo ran the show. A Milwall team with Dennis Wise and Tim Cahill in it, am i right?

2016- A crap game to be honest. Relieved we won the game despite playing with 10 men.

Alejandro Angel

2005 and 2007 were massively dissapointing.

Battered Arsenal for 120minutes and then losing on penalties.

And Drogba last minute of extra time goal.

1999- I was never more confident of United winning a cup final than this game. Already thinking of Bayern then.

2004- Ronaldo ran the show. A Milwall team with Dennis Wise and Tim Cahill in it, am i right?

2016- A crap game to be honest. Relieved we won the game despite playing with 10 men.
I remember those final's 2005 and 2007 watched with Friends who were experiencing the FA cup for the first time in Ireland. Spanish and Argentinian
The one I remember most is the 1996 cup final against Liverpool watched in my parents house with two friends one pretending he didn't care only an occasional Liverpool supporter and one complete Liverpool supporter. We were a bit hungover and the match was slow and both teams were cancelling each other out when my friend the Liverpool obsessed fan said" someone score anyone" score a minute later Cantona obliged and my friend shouted "not him". I still remind him

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Not including 76 I'd go with Leeds V Sunderland.

Art Vandelay

King Eric vs the Dippers in 96. I really don't think anything will top that during my life time. Everything that day still is so vivid in my memory
:drool: :drool: :drool:

They made themselves look like the utter cnuts they are in those suits and then The King took away their chance of salvaging any pride with a win.

I watched it with my cousin, an Everton fan, in his living room. For some reason we both knew the goal was coming before it went in. When the corner was being taken we were up building up a chant of "Oh ah Cantona" knowing full well he was about to score. The celebrations when it went in were wild.

The year we lost to Everton I was in town in the United shop that we used to have here. I bought a framed picture of Schmeichel with the double from the year before and something else. I got home and put the TV on just as Everton scored. I felt like a right dick with my Schmeichel picture. :lol::lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Even a mere FA Cup Final programme seemed like something magically glamorous back in the day...and I lived hundreds of miles away from Wembley.

diarm

The year we lost 1-0 to Everton. I was on holiday in France and for some reason, half the international Everton Supporters Club seemed to be in the same pub as us.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
2005 made me a United fan

2006 the Gerrard show

2007 was a damp rag then Drogba

Last year's demolition of Watford by City

Arsenal won 3 FA cup finals recently and no one gave a feck because it didn't matter apparently

IRELANDUNITED

2005 made me a United fan

2006 the Gerrard show

2007 was a damp rag then Drogba

Last year's demolition of Watford by City

Arsenal won 3 FA cup finals recently and no one gave a feck because it didn't matter apparently

Yeah, he really stuck in to Nigel Reo - Coker and Carl Fletcher