And while we're at it...

Having a Champions League place for the FA Cup would be transformational for English football I think. Suddenly every club from the mid-table of the Prem right down to the mid-level of the Championship would, with the right draw, have a puncher's chance of getting into the Champions League. That would become one damn hard fought competition and very few teams wouldn't take it seriously. Indeed, for everyone not in a title race or a relegation battle, the Cup would arguably be bigger than the league. If you're Aston Villa or Crystal Palace, unlikely to get relegated and unlikely to get into Europe, the Cup would be the focus of your season.

This is similar to how it was when I was a kid. The league was always the highest benchmark of quality, but in terms of what got the biggest number of fans excited, the Cup was arguably the bigger deal. Only 2 or 3 teams were ever likely to win the league each year, but lots of teams had a shout in the Cup, which meant that the excitement spread a lot further. I dont think a CL spot alone would change things back that far, but it would sure improve things.
from an English perspective - this would be great. But if this applied to every European country, and surely it would have to - then you either get a greatly expanded CL or you dilute the quality of clubs who qualify.

we do need to find ways to protect the FA Cup.

easy changes should be that it splayed AFTER the league has finished, put back to its 3pm slot, and allocate more tickets to the actual fans. I’ve managed to go to the FA Cup final twice, once Arsenal vs Villa and then United vs Palace.

Both times I got tickets through an FA contact - and I didn’t need to be a fan.

I’m happy I was able to take advantage of this, but it’s clearly not fair on the season ticket holders who couldn’t get a ticket.

Edit - I was able to get 8 tickets for the Arsenal be Villa Cup Final. Shocking really.

Hammondo

Ridiculous argument IMO.

You're suggesting someone that wins a domestic cup competition gets at least a play off place for the CL while actual champions of their leagues need to play 4 qualifiers.
That's not what he's saying. He's saying FA cup winner and 4th place fight for the last CL spot.

MU655

Getting rid of the league cup and offering a CL place for the champions would be the best move.

The FA Cup will never be seen as big as the CL because it doesn't get as many viewers, so you just make it the best domestic cup in the world instead.