Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
One would think he would be a definite starter but with LVG I wouldn't be so sure...
Yeah, I'm not sure he's 100% convinced by Hererra for whatever reason. IMO it's between him and Mata to play behind Rooney and wouldn't be a huge shock if Mata gets the nod. Horses for courses, though. In tough away games Van Gaal might prefer a number 10 who is fond of a tackle.

Fully Fledged

Obviously he's droppable, everyone is. But people are making predictions on the only evidence we've got, which is what happened last season. Based on that, Herrera is clearly the strongest candidate for the point of the midfield triangle. And that's why everyone's putting him there in their line-ups. It's not 'Herrera love', it's common sense.

I'm not sure how you can 'see' Rooney playing there, given that he's our only top quality senior striker. Unless/until we buy someone else, we have to assume he's our regular #9. Or Schneiderlin, given that Van Gaal literally just said that he, Carrick, Schweini and Blind are competing for the deeper midfield positions.

Mata at least makes some sense as a suggestion, and he was good at the end of last season. But Herrera was more important, and Herrera was actually in that position, so it's logical to assume he'll stay there.
You mean where he was dropped for large portions of the season?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You mean where he was dropped for large portions of the season?
Not the last bit he wasn't. He will get plenty of time no matter what. We are United, there isn't a cat in hell chance there won't be injuries. Very likely our midfield will be last season defence. I think LvG can now tailor his side depending on the opposition.

Cina

Yeah, I'm not sure he's 100% convinced by Hererra for whatever reason. IMO it's between him and Mata to play behind Rooney and wouldn't be a huge shock if Mata gets the nod. Horses for courses, though. In tough away games Van Gaal might prefer a number 10 who is fond of a tackle.
I'd assume that would be Rooney, if we get a top striker in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You would? Rooney's hasn't shown any defensively abilities at all last season, and he spent half of it in CM.

Cina

You would? Rooney's hasn't shown any defensively abilities at all last season, and he spent half of it in CM.
I'd disagree with the former, and the latter has only served to prove that he'll start pretty much every game. If we bring in another top striker I reckon we'll see Rooney at #10 quite a bit.

DomesticTadpole

I'd disagree with the former, and the latter has only served to prove that he'll start pretty much every game. If we bring in another top striker I reckon we'll see Rooney at #10 quite a bit.
I actually don't get why they want another top striker, I would be getting someone who can play anywhere across the front and is up and coming. Just not inspired by the striker names they keep coming up with. Same old names.

Fully Fledged

Not the last bit he wasn't. He will get plenty of time no matter what. We are United, there isn't a cat in hell chance there won't be injuries. Very likely our midfield will be last season defence. I think LvG can now tailor his side depending on the opposition.
I agree he will get his game time and play well for us. I like him a lot but he is not the next coming of Messi that some people are making him out to be.

He's a very good player but he is not the one undropable player in the squad as has been mentioned in this thread after all he was often dropped last year.

As for the last bit of the season. It was worse than the start with only 1 win and 3 goals in 6 games.

RedRover

He wasn't playing number 10 last year and if we go with a midfield 3 then he'll get plenty of game time.

He was superb at the end of last season and to be fair to him, its not unreasonable to expect a player coming to a new league to take time to settle. The suggestions that he might now be sold because we've signed two midfielder is lazy journalism ignoring the fact that we were so light in midfield last year he was often the only recognised midfielder playing in there.

For me the first choice midfield is any three from Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Herrera. I see no reason we'd sell him given that we'll potentially have 50 games next year and especially since Carrick and potentially Schweinsteiger (given recent injury issues) are likely not be fit for the whole season without interruption.

Bottom line though for me is clear - why would we move on one of our best players when he's just starting to show what he can do?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He wasn't playing number 10 last year and if we go with a midfield 3 then he'll get plenty of game time.

He was superb at the end of last season and to be fair to him, its not unreasonable to expect a player coming to a new league to take time to settle. The suggestions that he might now be sold because we've signed two midfielder is lazy journalism ignoring the fact that we were so light in midfield last year he was often the only recognised midfielder playing in there.

For me the first choice midfield is any three from Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Herrera. I see no reason we'd sell him given that we'll potentially have 50 games next year and especially since Carrick and potentially Schweinsteiger (given recent injury issues) are likely not be fit for the whole season without interruption.

Bottom line though for me is clear - why would we move on one of our best players when he's just starting to show what he can do?
Can't be arsed getting into positional semantics but I'm talking about him playing as an advanced central midfielder. Which is something he did do last season, on a number of occasions. Where he struggled was when he had to play a bit deeper, which I don't see happening again now we've so many players capable of playing that position better than him.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

Sorry, whats this? Who said anything about selling?

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm sort of with Pogue and the others in that I think he'll end up in and out of the side this season. I think most weeks we'll play two of Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger/Carrick in midfield with one out of Mata, Herrera and Fellaini playing ahead, in some guise. None of which even mentions the inevitable Rooney positional shift if we buy someone like Cavani.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I expect Herrera to continue in that advanced to the right midfield position he had last season where he was playing his best stuff (especially when linking with Mata). Im expecting close to 10 goals from him.
Unrealistic imo

RedRover

Can't be arsed getting into positional semantics but I'm talking about him playing as an advanced central midfielder. Which is something he did do last season, on a number of occasions. Where he struggled was when he had to play a bit deeper, which I don't see happening again now we've so many players capable of playing that position better than him.
Fair enough. I'd be very surprised if Van Gaal wasn't impressed with him at the end of last year so I don't see why he'd neccessarily be the one to drop out. Schneiderlin is nailed on for me to sit in front of the back four and I'm not sure where that leaves Carrick in terms of playing further forward. Herrera is a much better option for me in terms of moving the ball and getting into dangerous positions.

If Mata gets in I think it'll be on the right of a three upfront. I suppose a lot depends on who comes in, but it wasn;'t that long ago Mata was supposed to be away. Seems to me this Herrera to Athletico/Valencia stuff has come from nowhere.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As much as I don't think Rooney is a really top striker anymore and would love an upgrade there (if we can find one), I'd much rather we kept Rooney upfront if it meant him having to take Herrera's place in midfield if a new striker is signed.

Herrera will be a key player for us, and offers a different skillset to the others.

Sylar

It really isnt unrealistic. He will play a big amount of the 50 or so games we have in the season. Thats pretty much 1 every 5 games (or 4) provided he plays (which he should).

Fully Fledged

I'm sort of with Pogue and the others in that I think he'll end up in and out of the side this season. I think most weeks we'll play two of Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger/Carrick in midfield with one out of Mata, Herrera and Fellaini playing ahead, in some guise. None of which even mentions the inevitable Rooney positional shift if we buy someone like Cavani.
Agreed he will get plenty of game time but I see those 3 all getting games if we are playing well in all competitions.

I wouldn't go out on a limb as to which of the 3 he picks as his #10 for the first game of the season against Spurs, I think that players have the 4 matches preseason and the training sessions to make their case for a starting place.

It will be very interesting to see what happens preseason.

DomesticTadpole

Agreed he will get plenty of game time but I see those 3 all getting games if we are playing well in all competitions.

I wouldn't go out on a limb as to which of the 3 he picks as his #10 for the first game of the season against Spurs, I think that players have the 4 matches preseason and the training sessions to make their case for a starting place.

It will be very interesting to see what happens preseason.
I think Fellaini will be an impact sub tbh. I think it will be two of Schw/Schn/Carrick and either Mata/Herrera.

vodrake

Sports Witness on the sales claim. Seems claims originated in Italy (and not from Di Marzio!). Wouldn't think there's anything in it.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
The positive vibe going through the camp has been well noted. I get the impression ander is central to it. great player.

Fully Fledged

I think Fellaini will be an impact sub tbh. I think it will be two of Schw/Schn/Carrick and either Mata/Herrera.
Fellaini was one of only 2 players that LVG named as Undroppable last season, the other being his captain.

He was most important in the games against expansive teams such as Spurs, who we play the first match of the season. I can see him being penciled in for that one.

DomesticTadpole

Fellaini was one of only 2 players that LVG named as Undroppable last season, the other being his captain.

He was most important in the games against expansive teams such as Spurs, who we play the first match of the season. I can see him being penciled in for that one.
LvG is always saying things. Fellaini was bloody awful towards to end. Seriously awful and I think you will find he can't play against anyone for 3 games after his stupidity in the last game.

Fully Fledged

LvG is always saying things. Fellaini was bloody awful towards to end. Seriously awful and I think you will find he can't play against anyone for 3 games after his stupidity in the last game.
I forgot that he was banned did they confirm it would be 3 games?

The whole team was shocking in the last 6 games 1 win and 3 goals is shocking for a team that is supposed to be challenging for honors.

DomesticTadpole

I forgot that he was banned did they confirm it would be 3 games?

The whole team was shocking in the last 6 games 1 win and 3 goals is shocking for a team that is supposed to be challenging for honors.
That's what happened when Carrick is missing, in a way that is why I don't think he will risk Carrick and Schweinsteiger together. They are options for each other. Although he seems to think Schneiderlin is as well. Our luck they will both get injured and we will be back to square one. Yes it is a 3 match ban. These new players names are killing me. I will likely spell them differently everytime I mention them.:lol:

Fully Fledged

That's what happened when Carrick is missing, in a way that is why I don't think he will risk Carrick and Schweinsteiger together. They are options for each other. Although he seems to think Schneiderlin is as well. Our luck they will both get injured and we will be back to square one. Yes it is a 3 match ban. These new players names are killing me. I will likely spell them differently everytime I mention them.:lol:
I stick to Bastian and Morgan it's easier.:lol:

DomesticTadpole

And I'd be, yeah backs away and locks the padded cell on the way out.
:lol: I wouldn't care but if they were asking for their autograph they would call them by their name. You wouldn't shout out "Oi Rooney sign this". I would presume you would be phenominally polite and say "Please would you sign this Wayne".

Fully Fledged

:lol: I wouldn't care but if they were asking for their autograph they would call them by their name. You wouldn't shout out "Oi Rooney sign this". I would presume you would be phenominally polite and say "Please would you sign this Wayne".
Exactly. Where I was brought up you call people by the first names or the last name with their proper title, Mr Schweinsteiger If they are older than you, never just their last name, it just seems so cold.

DomesticTadpole

Exactly. Where I was brought up you call people by the first names or the last name with their proper title, Mr Schweinsteiger If they are older than you, never just their last name, it just seems so cold.
Exactly teachers and bosses call you by your surname.

Fully Fledged

I definitely wouldn't call a teacher by their first name. Disagree with that completely. This thread is going off at a tangent.
No I would either but then their is that age gap between teacher and pupil. Even if there isn't one 6th former's newly qualified teachers one should be manufactured for propriety's sake.

Yeah what was this thread about anyway before we took it in a whole new direction.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.