Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Fellaini has been much better than him this season.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Last year's Herrera from start of the season was great midfielder for me, but once van Gaal started teaching him some methods(they literally said that) because he didn't like his style of play, he was never the same player again for me, even though he played some good football towards the end of season, but was never that exciting.
Exactly, he's been misguided and it's clear as day. Hope he'll turn it around next season!

Witchking

Exactly, he's been misguided and it's clear as day. Hope he'll turn it around next season!
There might not be another season for Herrera at United. I don't think he is enjoying his football here and if LVG stays, i am sure he will quit.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Is he a Mourinho type player?
Does he have the athleticism which Jose requires in his midfielders?

Ole90+3

I think, along with most the squad, he is totally shot of confidence.

He seems to misplace every other pass. Simple, 3 yard passes.

He caused several West Ham counter attacks by giving the ball right back to them when all our players were pushed up. So careless and sloppy.

Looks a totally different players as to the one who joined us. I can only put that down to self confidence which Van Gaal has most likely played a major part in.

Alright, the manager might have coached Herrera's expressiveness, followed by confidence, out of him, but the player is constantly making fundamental errors which he has to take a large chunk of the blame for.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's having a rubbish season. He's overrated on here, but he's better than this, he was beyond last night. Don't understand how he kept giving fouls away, was shocking

dichinero

Even as a big fan of Herrera he had a bad game and it was obvious that he is void of confidence but I am also going to point the finger at LvG. It was clear the lad was struggling, yet you refused to leave him on for long periods while he continued to struggle. A manager like Klopp, would have have pulled out a player that was struggling to avoid further damage to their performance and confidence. It is clear LvG does not like him at all IMO.

It's funny when Herrera is on form, he drops him and when he is struggling he leaves him on.

That said, Herrera needs to really pick himself up, he is not as bad as what we have seen so far.

gza the genius

Just said this about Schniederlin too - he shouldn't be judged on this season. Almost no player has looked good under LVG bar Smalling, Martial and DDG. Memphis, Schniederlin, Herrera, Darmian etc should all be given another season (hopefully) under a new manager before we decide to get rid.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Just said this about Schniederlin too - he shouldn't be judged on this season. Almost no player has looked good under LVG bar Smalling, Martial and DDG. Memphis, Schniederlin, Herrera, Darmian etc should all be given another season (hopefully) under a new manager before we decide to get rid.
So Herrera shouldn't be judged under LVG, but Rooney and Fellaini and Januzaj should be on these forums? I am not arguing your point. I do think he is better than what has been shown by him under Van Gaal but it's unfair not to criticize him when people tear into the other players.

And as a side note, he wasn't that special of a midfielder to begin with in my opinion but like I said much better than this.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Except Schneiderlin was established as a quality premier league midfielder prior to joining us.

prath92

He should be our backup next season. Not good enough to start irrespective of the manager.

gza the genius

So Herrera shouldn't be judged under LVG, but Rooney and Fellaini and Januzaj should be on these forums? I am not arguing your point. I do think he is better than what has been shown by him under Van Gaal but it's unfair not to criticize him when people tear into the other players.

And as a side note, he wasn't that special of a midfielder to begin with in my opinion but like I said much better than this.
Rooney has been here nearly 10 years now so it's not like we don't know what he's all about. Fellaini has been in the league forever so we know a lot about him too. I get your point but I'm mostly on about newer players. Januzaj should not be judged on this season either, granted his spell at Dortmund and what Tuchel had to say about him doesn't bode well.

I just think a majority of the new signings deserve more time, if we were going to get rid of all the disappointing players in our squad from this season we'd be left with Smalling, Martial and DDG.

clarkydaz

Whats happened to Herrera recently?? Is it just confidence (not something I ever imagined him being short of), or is he just tired after a long hard season. Whatever the reason he's been disappointing in the run in. Hasnt hid, so credit for that, but very much a headless chicken
no its been for months, even coming on as sub. Stray passes under no pressure, his season is a write off. He might remember who he is if gets away from LVG

criticalanalysis

Agree with others, big fan but he has been total shite recently, which is saddening.

The obvious thing to say is EVERYONE in the team will improve massively under a more pro-active manager but for me, Herrera is the type of player that would be putting in world class performances under Mourinho, Poch, Simone and Pep. For me his skillset is too good not to utilise and build around/let him get consistent.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Agree with others, big fan but he has been total shite recently, which is saddening.

The obvious thing to say is EVERYONE in the team will improve massively under a more pro-active manager but for me, Herrera is the type of player that would be putting in world class performances under Mourinho, Poch, Simone and Pep. For me his skillset is too good not to utilise and build around/let him get consistent.
He's just not at that level, and it's a sad state of affairs if you build around a player as average as Ander Herrera is. He should be a squad player, if he's happy enough with that, nothing more.

criticalanalysis

His performances this season warrant an average tag but my opinion is that he's a very well rounded player playing in a dsyfunctional team with dinosaur regressive tactics.

A midfield is built through good combinations and tactics. You can't just go out and buy Pogba/Verrait/Gundogan, put him in the team and expect him to run the midfield. Xavi didn't run Barca's midfield on his own, neither did Pirlo, Scholes, Zidane etc. Kante can only perform as good as his partner Drinkwater and their tactics allow that (sit deep, concede possession and break up plays before the first move into the centre of the pitch) etc etc). We rely on a Carrick, who is only happy to sit at the base of his midfield when we don't have the ball (so basically in a 3 man midfield, you have one less person to press and get into pro-active tactical shape), Rooney, who doesn't have the ability on the ball to receive in those pockets of space and is only intent on...sitting back and spraying balls (like Carrick, but at least Carrick can do it better) and then we rotate everyone else to accomendate those two.

A manager like Poch would be getting Herrera and Schneiderlin to be doing all the dogs work in the middle of the park to let players like Rashford and Martial thrive. Except LVG is telling his players to spread the ball wide hoping we'll break teams down not taking chances and having belief in your players in the centre of the park with more deft touchses and inter plays.

Charlie Foley

He's looked like a bit of a square peg in a round hole in some ways in our midfield this season. He's not good enough at what he's being told to do and he's suffered because of it.

I don't think he's a 'worldbeater' but he's shown in his career he's a good player. I think he'd be better in a team pressing more in groups.

Looks absolutely shot of confidence though and he was just playing stupid against West Ham. Kind of feel he needs the season to end and get a fresh start in August.

Shark

@NotShark

Caf delusion in regards to Herrera in a nutshell.

Skills

Snitch
Another player who has continuously gotten worse under Van Gaal. Di Maria got out at the right time.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He's just not at that level, and it's a sad state of affairs if you build around a player as average as Ander Herrera is. He should be a squad player, if he's happy enough with that, nothing more.
This is the harsh reality.

G-manc

He's been really poor this season.

He strikes me as a sort of upmarket Cleverley where people will defend him for not playing a system to suit his 'style'. What that style is i'm not sure. He can't tackle, has a limited passing range and isn't particularly quick. He's not good enough to play in a central two and he doesn't have enough skill/guile to play the role number 10 attacking midfield.

The only thing he guarantees consistently is a cheap yellow card and a half-arsed dive in a lame attempt to win a pen.

Shark

@NotShark
Unfortunately you may be talking to a brick wall regarding Herrera on here. Not too long ago many were saying that Fellaini has had as bad a season as him, which is absolute bullshit.

clarkydaz

Unfortunately you may be talking to a brick wall regarding Herrera on here. Not too long ago many were saying that Fellaini has had as bad a season as him, which is absolute bullshit.
He was our best outfield player last year, yet LVG didn't like his game and told him to change. He looks a nervous wreck now

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Not sure whether it means anything but it seems he wasn't involved in the new kit photoshoots, and being an adidas athlete along with De Gea, Mata, Shaw and Lingard (who all had pictures) you'd think he would be.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He was our best outfield player last year, yet LVG didn't like his game and told him to change. He looks a nervous wreck now
He had his best spell last season after van Gaal told him to change his game so that doesn't wash at all. He has been careless in possession and struggles to connect simple passes this season, not van Gaal's type of game at all.

Name Changed

weso26
I am an Ander Herrara fan and will usually defend him because even when playing badly he always continues to get stuck in, tries to drive the team forward, tries to actually play a pass with a bit of vision and actually looks like he gives a feck.

Tuesday's performance was indefensible however.

Name Changed

weso26
He had his best spell last season after van Gaal told him to change his game so that doesn't wash at all. He has been careless in possession and struggles to connect simple passes this season, not van Gaal's type of game at all.
He would excel with a different type of manager in my opinion. Not many midfielders could look good playing for Van Gaal.

facund

If we only had this season to judge him on then he wouldn't have any support for staying here next season.

He had some very good performances last season, along with the odd poor one, but doesn't look close to the same player at the moment. We can speculate as to the reasons why but he needs to drastically improve pretty quickly if he wants to be at the club much longer.

If LVG stays, he may as well look for another club this summer.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He would excel with a different type of manager in my opinion. Not many midfielders could look good playing for Van Gaal.
He'd possibly do better with a 'different' manager, but he probably wouldn't even get into a 'top' manager's side.
He's a squad player for a top team with their sh!t together.

Status
Not open for further replies.