Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Might as well get Ander's underway. :)

I'm expecting big things from him this season, he was very good in the second half of his first season and I think now he's fully attuned to the PL he's going to be an even bigger player for us in the upcoming season, I can see him getting double figures for goals and assists.

LVG: "Morgan has to fight with Schweinsteiger, Blind and Carrick for place."
Interesting comment just now from LvG, I think this confirms my feeling that Herrera will move into a more advanced midfield role this season.

Bojan11

Is it really interesting comment?

Above four can play as holding midfielders. Herrera is not.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah, think his spot in the team is pretty nailed on for the most part. Schweiny and Schneiderlin are excellent signings, but they don't replace the stuff Herrera can bring to the team. Really looking forward to seeing the 3 of them together.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
More interesting than that though, it also tells us a bit about the shape we'll be playing doesn't it? Two of those four + another is a forward facing triangle, no?

If we're playing with an out and out #10 then it becomes more likely that we could see someone like Mata or Rooney competing with Herrera for that central spot.

Brightonian

No surprise. Both by virtue of his excellence last season and how perfectly he fits the AM role in a Van Gaal 433 (i.e. where that position is filled by a proper midfielder, not a #10), he's in the position of being basically the first name on the team sheet. More than deserves it, too.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

This was the most interesting thing for me in the press conference, he basically says we are going to play 4-3-3 with the point forward instead of backwards, that's what i hear atleast

Sylar

I expect Herrera to continue in that advanced to the right midfield position he had last season where he was playing his best stuff (especially when linking with Mata). Im expecting close to 10 goals from him.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
This was the most interesting thing for me in the press conference, he basically says we are going to play 4-3-3 with the point forward instead of backwards, that's what i hear atleast
It's what he did at Bayern. Had Muller in the #10 behind a line leading striker. Could see us lining out with Ander in the #10, Mata on the right, Depay on the left and Schwein and Morgan behind.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That bit probably implied that Ander is an unquestioned starter, which seems pretty reasonable given the level and consistency of his performances since the turn of the year. Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Blind will compete for the #6 holding midfielder, and #8 box-to-box positions in the 1-4-3-3. Ander is the presumptive #10 (sort of) midfielder in the trio, or the #10 ahead of two holding midfielders if we choose to employ a 1-4-2-3-1 setup.

FromTheBench

In Before Fellaini is the starting #10 And Herrera backup. :p

Anyway, i wonder if he has a more attacking AM like a Di Maria or Mata with 2 solid holding mids behind which he didn't have last season.

Bwuk

4-2-3-1 suits our squad better arguably anyway.

Shark

@NotShark
He's a perfect number 10, really. Offers the defensive support that Mata lacks too, who I presume will play on the right most of the time.

m1y2

I really hope he he will get double digits in Assists and goals next season, he has it in him, certainly when you play as ten and behind you it is morgan fecking schneiderlin and bastien fecking schweinsteiger, so you can really enjoy your more attacking role

bosnian_red

Think we might change between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 next season, both suit our squad. Herrera is great because of how complete of a midfielder he is, in that he can easily play the #10 role, or be a box to box player in the 4-3-3. It'll depend on injuries and stuff, but 4-3-3 will be the main formation I'd guess and I'm sure Herrera will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Also means that he'll probably be on the bench behind Rooney if we sign a first choice striker....

Brightonian

Think we might change between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 next season, both suit our squad. Herrera is great because of how complete of a midfielder he is, in that he can easily play the #10 role, or be a box to box player in the 4-3-3. It'll depend on injuries and stuff, but 4-3-3 will be the main formation I'd guess and I'm sure Herrera will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
433 is the default formation, and I don't see why we would, as things stand, change between that and anything else.

The defining difference between 433 and 4231 is what sort of AM you play. 433 (Van Gaal's 433, anyway) calls for a proper midfielder in that position. 4231 calls for more of a proper #10, a creative forward. Herrera is obviously one of the first names on the team sheet, and obviously fits the 433 'midfielder' bill better. The only way 4231 fits better is if you expect us to drop him for Mata (more of a proper #10), which seems unlikely.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Also means that he'll probably be on the bench behind Rooney if we sign a first choice striker....
Not really, Rooney will fight for his place with the other striker. And the other striker will fight with Herrera.

bosnian_red

433 is the default formation, and I don't see why we would, as things stand, change between that and anything else.

The defining difference between 433 and 4231 is what sort of AM you play. 433 (Van Gaal's 433, anyway) calls for a proper midfielder in that position. 4231 calls for more of a proper #10, a creative forward. Herrera is obviously one of the first names on the team sheet, and obviously fits the 433 'midfielder' bill better. The only way 4231 fits better is if you expect us to drop him for Mata (more of a proper #10), which seems unlikely.
Yep. Though there is always the chance we sign a top class striker and then Rooney moves back as a #10 again, but I hope not (and doubt it).

Devil may care

No surprise. Both by virtue of his excellence last season and how perfectly he fits the AM role in a Van Gaal 433 (i.e. where that position is filled by a proper midfielder, not a #10), he's in the position of being basically the first name on the team sheet. More than deserves it, too.
This is what I'm thinking, I know plenty want Mata or Di Maria to get the AM role but I think Herrera will suit LvG more as he adds the defensive support in midfield that the other 2 don't bring.

izec

The Herrera love on here is hilarious. You cant suggest a lineup on here without him and not getting attacked.

He is a good player and had a good season, but for some he is completely undroppable. He has to fight for his place like everyone else.

If we buy a good striker, I can see either Rooney/Mata (#10 position) or Schneiderlin (#8 position) taking his place.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He will be played in his best role, the furthest forward of 3 central midfielders which made him stand out as a great player during that short spell he was played there last season. I think he's got a great chance of getting double figures in the league this season. :)

settembrini

Glad to see Herrera getting praised. He very quickly became one of my favourite players last season and I'd love to see the team built around him.

hbgreg

It will be interesting to see how he fits with our recent signings. Had to adapt himself to LvG's demands last year and by all intents it seems like he came good in LvG eyes. He's a very good player and links up well with the rest of the team, sees the pass and the free man, not the best defensively but good enough and has a lot of energy in the midfield. He's not an unquestionable starter though by any means and we'll see how he fits into the next phase of our plan/system.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He will be played in his best role, the furthest forward of 3 central midfielders which made him stand out as a great player during that short spell he was played there last season. I think he's got a great chance of getting double figures in the league this season. :)
Exactly. for me its Herrera just in front of Schweiney and Schneiney. He brings passing, energy and importantly, goals! Carrick will still get lots of games.

IF we buy another big game striker then simply Rooney will have to accept that challenge. I dont want to see him dropping into midfield.. ever.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Exactly. for me its Herrera just in front of Schweiney and Schneiney. He brings passing, energy and importantly, goals! Carrick will still get lots of games.

IF we buy another big game striker then simply Rooney will have to accept that challenge. I dont want to see him dropping into midfield.. ever.
van Gaal might always start his captain but nothing would stop him from changing the captain if he doesn't perform. van Bommell situation at Bayern when he fell out with van Gaal. I think it was Gustavo who LVG signed when he thought that van Bommell was declining, removed him from captain and started Gustavo instead of him.

m1y2

It will be interesting to see how he fits with our recent signings. Had to adapt himself to LvG's demands last year and by all intents it seems like he came good in LvG eyes. He's a very good player and links up well with the rest of the team, sees the pass and the free man, not the best defensively but good enough and has a lot of energy in the midfield. He's not an unquestionable starter though by any means and we'll see how he fits into the next phase of our plan/system.
he's more than good enough, it's one of his strong assets being fantastic defensively for offensive midfielder, reading of the game and getting stuck in.. he has much better numbers than Carrick for example and with the arrival of Schneiderlin we can be sure we won't lose any midfield battle since.

He may not start every game since the arrival of new boys and Van Gaal will rotate it at some point and try new combinations but he should definitely need to be first name on the team sheet with Smalling. I reckon he will have cracking season, fingers crossed for him to stay injury-free.

m1y2

I was worried at first but now we bought two very strong midfielders who will be there for the sake of balance so we should not worry that Rooney would play ahead of them.. he has 1/5 good games there depending on which exact position it is. He still could feature as no10 in 4-2-3-1 at some point but never long term..

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
van Gaal might always start his captain but nothing would stop him from changing the captain if he doesn't perform. van Bommell situation at Bayern when he fell out with van Gaal. I think it was Gustavo who LVG signed when he thought that van Bommell was declining, removed him from captain and started Gustavo instead of him.
Rooney will have to perform. He was lucky before as his captaincy was not under too greater a pressure, but a certain German could be a real threat, as you say LvG has dumped a captain before.

Brightonian

The Herrera love on here is hilarious. You cant suggest a lineup on here without him and not getting attacked.

He is a good player and had a good season, but for some he is completely undroppable. He has to fight for his place like everyone else.

If we buy a good striker, I can see either Rooney/Mata (#10 position) or Schneiderlin (#8 position) taking his place.
Obviously he's droppable, everyone is. But people are making predictions on the only evidence we've got, which is what happened last season. Based on that, Herrera is clearly the strongest candidate for the point of the midfield triangle. And that's why everyone's putting him there in their line-ups. It's not 'Herrera love', it's common sense.

I'm not sure how you can 'see' Rooney playing there, given that he's our only top quality senior striker. Unless/until we buy someone else, we have to assume he's our regular #9. Or Schneiderlin, given that Van Gaal literally just said that he, Carrick, Schweini and Blind are competing for the deeper midfield positions.

Mata at least makes some sense as a suggestion, and he was good at the end of last season. But Herrera was more important, and Herrera was actually in that position, so it's logical to assume he'll stay there.

Kant-ona

Sky Sport News HD Germany just said that Herrera could possibly leave United and join a club in spain? Are they (or we?) mad? I never heard about that, not even on Bullsh**-Twitter? Any sources?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Sky Sport News HD Germany just said that Herrera could possibly leave United and join a club in spain? Are they (or we?) mad? I never heard about that, not even on Bullsh**-Twitter? Any sources?
It was in Marca gossip a few days ago. There didn't seem to be any solid stuff, no prices or sources being quoted, but a suggestion that Atletico and Valencia were interested in his position at United and had not been turned down flat.

I chose to ignore it because I didn't like it. However, if I'm feeling sufficiently paranoid, I could look at LvG leaving him off his defensive mids list and leaving Rooney off his attackers list and wonder if we're going to a forward pointing 3 with Roo at its head. He didn't even get a mention on LvG's "time to adapt" list which could be a positive or (continuing the pessimism) a negative.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think he'll be a revelation next season at the front of a midfield 3 with 2 of Schweinsteiger/Carrick/Schneiderlin/Blind behind him. Will get plenty of goals and assists if given the opportunity.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It was in Marca gossip a few days ago. There didn't seem to be any solid stuff, no prices or sources being quoted, but a suggestion that Atletico and Valencia were interested in his position at United and had not been turned down flat.

I chose to ignore it because I didn't like it. However, if I'm feeling sufficiently paranoid, I could look at LvG leaving him off his defensive mids list and leaving Rooney off his attackers list and wonder if we're going to a forward pointing 3 with Roo at its head. He didn't even get a mention on LvG's "time to adapt" list which could be a positive or (continuing the pessimism) a negative.
:nervous:

m1y2

we won't sell our best player after only his first season in the club. He's my bet for the player of the year award next season (in EPL of course)

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
One would think he would be a definite starter but with LVG I wouldn't be so sure...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Confirmation of a 4-2-3-1 for me. 4-3-3 with the point forward.

Four players contending for the two deep spots while Herrera and probably Fellaini contend for the advanced role with Mata and Rooney no doubt getting time there too.

Manny

Grammar Police
I would have liked to have seen us go forward with Herrera playing number 8. I liked what I saw from him there last season and I think he can grow to become something pretty special. As it is with Di Maria leaving, we can assume Mata will be needed out wide and Herrera would make most sense at number 10.

Rooney should never play number 10 ahead of Mata or Herrera. In fact I'd rather change shape, leave Rooney up front and bring in Fellaini.

Status
Not open for further replies.