Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

I'm not just talking about the game vs Dortmund, though. There's been times when teams have sat back against us and stayed really compact, where again, one switch of play would stretch the opposition.

I agree with you that he is the glue. I did mention that one of his better attributes is keeping the ball moving. However, he does lack that passing range to play in the deep role like for example, Kroos, Fabregas, Pogba, etc.
He did alright yesterday but he had the same problems he's had constantly for us. He can move the ball around really well in midfield which is all well and good but his killer ball remained shite. If he can sort that he could be a decent option in midfield for us but he needs to improve and fast. If not then his spot will most likely be taken next season by someone who can.
I'd hate to say it but yes your points are true. His range even in his first season and those times of good periods of play were 'limited'.

However, playing in a super slow formation (i.e no runners, no spacing etc), team mates scared of the ball when pressed, scared of making mistakes etc etc will make any midfielder look average and his attacking strengths are currently not being exploited.

Herrera should be our version of Matuidi and Rakitic etc i.e the running, the tackling, the overlaps, the extra option in midfield couped with the passing nous. Veratti and Motta wouldn't work and neither would Iniesta and Busquets on their own. Likelywise Modric and Kroos didn't work (consistently) and it was only when Zidane brought in an extra midfielder did they find more stability.

Herrera shouldn't be expected to replace your no 10 or defensive midfielder. That should be Miki/Pogba's jobs and Schneiderlin/Schweini's respectively.

OldTrevil

Its safe to assume now that Mourinho will play 4231, but I don't think we will begin to see glimpses of his plans until the 4th signing is done (hoping it's Pogba of course). With that I can see 433 being imployed with Herrera and Pogba the two box2box mids alongside a deep lying one.

criticalanalysis

He overhits way too many passes for my liking.
Yeah I think it's over-enthusiasm, he sees the 1-2 or through ball and wants to play it. I think if given game time, he will have a better measure of tempo and timing.

He has such lovely technique but he has trouble reigning it in, which is why it was a massive problem to play so conservatively under LVG.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Herrera looked good in the start of his United career. I will therefore reserve judgement on him until after this season, since I suspect he might have been philosophized.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They mean the Mexican guy Hector Herrera who plays for Porto. He is actually quality.
He is, but Napoli won't be happy if Juventus have just taken their star striker and then take a midfielder from under their noses. Juventus are spending even more money, so Pogba on his way.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
He is, but Napoli won't be happy if Juventus have just taken their star striker and then take a midfielder from under their noses. Juventus are spending even more money, so Pogba on his way.
Pogba IMO is done and dusted. It will be announced sometime next week, since this weekend is all about Zlatan and Zlatan's first United game in Sweden. For me the Adidas commercial sealed it. Don't mind the doomsayers in the Pogba thread, they are the kind of people that crywank themself to sleep every night.

Ole90+3

My favourite player in his first season here. Awful second season.

He seems to have lost the ability to do the most basic things right.

If he starts the season with the same garbage displays as last, then my patience with him will quickly diminish.

Needs to concentrate more on what is happening on the pitch and how plays are developing. A lot of the time he just looks like a dog chasing a rabbit around a field - closing the ball down with no real idea what is going on around him. He has no idea how to position himself in defensive scenarios.

Love his attitude and passion but needs to buck up his ideas, along with his midfield partner today.

Raw

Love the guy, really do, but if he keeps this up then he can leave. Hasn't looked good since his first season.

tob

Needs to concentrate more on what is happening on the pitch and how plays are developing. A lot of the time he just looks like a dog chasing a rabbit around a field - closing the ball down with no real idea what is going on around him. He has no idea how to position himself in defensive scenarios.
Agree with this.
It is too often he misses the chance to put someone through, by just choosing the simple pass out wide or back home.
I've seen this many times during the last two seasons. Today it was a pass to Mhkitayran, that he missed, where he instead passed it out out wide to Valencia.

It's like he always has his mind made up, before he gets the ball, which isn't a bad thing most of the time, but sometimes you have to see what's going in at that moment you get the ball and then make the decision.

Art Vandelay

Mourinho has given him plenty of time in pre-season and he's not taken his chance, at this point he really doesn't deserve to be starting when it matters.

Obiorahking_

He is not the player you want to be sitting deep when we are defending. If we were pressing he would have been much more effective.

ReDDHDevilS

His passing is still very erratic especially when he gets closed down quickly he simply panics which is weird since he's not only Spanish but also played under none but the great Bielsa.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
got a long break , he did his hardwork while on vacation. still struggling. early signs are not encouraging. cant try at 10 as well - Mata, Mikhi, Rooney and even Zlatan would play better than him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I doubt we'll play double pivot formation. We don't have midfielders for it, neither Herrera nor Pogba feel natural in that role. I think they would work good in 4-3-3 though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't think 4231 suits our team at all to be honest. Best to go 433 imo
To me having two sitting in front of the defence, they both have to be defensively disciplined. It was never going to work today. Morgan is not a DM and Ander prefers to go forward, which leaves it wide open. I prefer 4-3-3 like you. Carrick can do it, but if he wants two in front of that defence, he needs another DM. Not sure Pogba would work there either. He wants to get forward as well.

Eddy_JukeZ

To me having two sitting in front of the defence, they both have to be defensively disciplined. It was never going to work today. Morgan is not a DM and Ander prefers to go forward, which leaves it wide open. I prefer 4-3-3 like you. Carrick can do it, but if he wants two in front of that defence, he needs another DM. Not sure Pogba would work there either. He wants to get forward as well.
Yeah I agree. Pogba is wasted in a holding role imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.