Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He needs to play in a midfield three. And he seems to thrive on the big games. It's a bit weird though. I can't recall any other performance of his in this season that was close to this one. But he's still got it. Need him for the final! :devil:

Akshay

Staff
He’s also better than Gibson and Cleverley but nowhere near as good as Fletcher Scholes Keane or Hargreaves (top drawer players). Think Butt edges him also but arguable although I suspect if he was here the same time as Anderson, I think most United fans would have chosen Anderson over Herrera as he was a potential superstar when he came. So being better than a converted centre forward (who’s injury blighted his career) who played a big part of his career in the lower league after leaving us and a winger who was very average is not a great marker imo. We need better than Herrera who has had the last 4 years to break into the side with 3 different managers and still can’t cement a place in the 11 or manage to look convincing for me.
By the way I gave him pelters on here last week and I’ll stand by that but Saturday for all his faults I had stated he went onto be excellent after the first 15-20 minutes but this like too many of our players I suspect won’t save him from being replaced come next season with Jose. Yes he’s definitely not our biggest problem far from it, but I doubt he’ll be anywhere near the regular starting 11 next season and wouldn’t be surprised to see him move on if we get a decent offer and I don’t think that would be a big loss as Mctominay could step in to cover our new signing.
My hope for him is that he can become our Fletcher. I doubt he will be a consistent starter in a title winning midfield, but he ups his level for the big games and thrives on that stage. That's the role Fletcher reprised for most of his career here, although admittedly he was better at his peak and could have been more if not for that awful illness.

He seems to be happy to be a squad player and I hope he stays as long as that's the case. We have too many players who throw their toys out of the pram when they aren't always starting in their favored position, he's one of the few that will take one for the team and try to do whatever he's asked without complaint.

We're already looking to buy two midfielders reportedly this summer to cover Carrick and Fellaini's departures, let's see how he gets on next year with the increased competition.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He’s also better than Gibson and Cleverley but nowhere near as good as Fletcher Scholes Keane or Hargreaves (top drawer players). Think Butt edges him also but arguable although I suspect if he was here the same time as Anderson, I think most United fans would have chosen Anderson over Herrera as he was a potential superstar when he came. So being better than a converted centre forward (who’s injury blighted his career) who played a big part of his career in the lower league after leaving us and a winger who was very average is not a great marker imo. We need better than Herrera who has had the last 4 years to break into the side with 3 different managers and still can’t cement a place in the 11 or manage to look convincing for me.
By the way I gave him pelters on here last week and I’ll stand by that but Saturday for all his faults I had stated he went onto be excellent after the first 15-20 minutes but this like too many of our players I suspect won’t save him from being replaced come next season with Jose. Yes he’s definitely not our biggest problem far from it, but I doubt he’ll be anywhere near the regular starting 11 next season and wouldn’t be surprised to see him move on if we get a decent offer and I don’t think that would be a big loss as Mctominay could step in to cover our new signing.
There's not much difference in Fletcher and Herrera. Herrera is comfortably better than Hargreaves(what we saw at United anyway)

Hargreaves has become pretty overrated I must say, people forget that his best performances for United came when he played as a right sided midfielder and he was pretty average in CM for us.

cyberman

It’s the way he plays. Breaking up play with cynical fouls, play acts occasionally and somehow gets away with it. When he was sent off v Chelsea it had been coming since day one at the club. How he didn’t get booked till last 10 mins on sat I don’t know.?If he played for someone else we’d hate him, no doubt.
He made 2 fouls and got 2 yellows v Chelsea!
Ander has an excellent disciplinary record now

kul m

Ander Herrera is a top player!. An intelligent footballer.

- can defend
- good composure on the ball
- can tackle
- can intercept, win the ball back
- can run with the ball
- can play through balls, defense splitting for strikers
- can play one touch/ short passes
- comfortable with the ball at his feet.
- makes runs of the ball
- can score gooals
- good crosser of the ball
- good awareness and vision
- good reading of the game
- is vocal on the pitch

All the above is just my thought and what I see when I see when watching games

Reactions: Invictus

AKDevil

He made 2 fouls and got 2 yellows v Chelsea!
Ander has an excellent disciplinary record now
It wasn't coming in that game as such but it's the way he plays...always niggling and chipping away at opponents.
On top of that, the second was one of the most stupid things I've seen a footballer do.
Seconds after the ref highlights the tactical fouling of a player, he fouls said player. How dumb is that?
I don't mind his niggly side as such, it is certainly useful and good to have a snide player.
Many clubs lack them and it is something managers who don't have them moan about because there are times in a game when you need to bring someone down or take the momentum out of a game. Shows a good brain and understanding of football.
For example, on Saturday when we were under the cosh early on, Herrera was the one who just hoofed the ball from deep in our half to deep in Arsenal's to try and get us up the pitch, out of our territory and turn Spurs. No surprise he was the one who spotted that.
I am just not blind to his snide side.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
On top of that, the second was one of the most stupid things I've seen a footballer do.
Seconds after the ref highlights the tactical fouling of a player, he fouls said player. How dumb is that?
It was also one of the stupidest things a ref has done and was a nonsensical decision. You can't be booked because your teammates are committing fouls, the ref completely pulled it out of his ass.

AKDevil

It was also one of the stupidest things a ref has done and was a nonsensical decision. You can't be booked because your teammates are committing fouls, the ref completely pulled it out of his ass.
For me, the fact it was an issue was made pretty clear so it was stupid to run the risk, go in and foul player seconds later.
Had no sympathy with him that night and my frustration was aimed at him. Good player though, I like him as I said

RedDevil@84

For me, the fact it was an issue was made pretty clear so it was stupid to run the risk, go in and foul player seconds later.
Had no sympathy with him that night and my frustration was aimed at him. Good player though, I like him as I said
Are you talking about this?? The replay is around 1:00 in the video

2nd yellow for that and you think it is fair :D

AKDevil

Are you talking about this?? The replay is around 1:00 in the video

2nd yellow for that and you think it is fair :D

Yes. He fouled him from behind, seconds after the referee made it clear he was going to do something about the persistent fouling of Hazard.

I don't blame referees when players do stupid things. Oliver easily could have just given him a talking to but in the context it was a poor risk to take by Herrera.

RedDevil@84

Yes. He fouled him from behind, seconds after the referee made it clear he was going to do something about the persistent fouling of Hazard.

I don't blame referees when players do stupid things. Oliver easily could have just given him a talking to but in the context it was a poor risk to take by Herrera.
It was not a kick from behind or even a kick from sides. Herrera barely connected with Hazard legs before he fell in a heap. Way too soft to give a sending off, even in the context. Oliver was clearly fooled into thinking that there was a kick on Hazard, because of the dramatic tumble that Hazard put in.
It was a case of ref screwing it up, more than a player doing something stupid.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

You can't just make up your own rules as a referee. Fouls are treated on their own merit, not to the whim of the referee deciding the direction of the game.

What Oliver did brings the game into disrepute, he decided that a specific player wasn't going to get fouled anymore. That sort of officiating wouldn't be out of place in the match fixing days of Seria A.

Acole9

Outstanding
You have to ask the question as where has he been all season?

I know he was injured during the Seville game but before that?
I agree, on the whole he's been really poor this season. He was fantastic for us last season though and I think that's why a lot of fans have stuck by him. Saturday's match, the second half in particular was him putting in another one of his top performances from last season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He’s also better than Gibson and Cleverley but nowhere near as good as Fletcher Scholes Keane or Hargreaves (top drawer players). Think Butt edges him also
Obviously he's not as good as Scholes and Keane. He's better than what Fletcher was throughout most of his career (although that 18 month period where Fletch was at his peak was a bit better). Herrera is definitely a better central midfielder than Hargreaves was for us (he was disappointing in the centre for us, and his best performances tended to be when he was played on the right). Butt...that's probably the closest one and I'm not sure which would get the nod there.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Obviously he's not as good as Scholes and Keane. He's better than what Fletcher was throughout most of his career (although that 18 month period where Fletch was at his peak was a bit better). Herrera is definitely a better central midfielder than Hargreaves was for us (he was disappointing in the centre for us, and his best performances tended to be when he was played on the right). Butt...that's probably the closest one and I'm not sure which would get the nod there.
Ince was a lot better than Ander as well, nothing wrong with that though, Ince was great. I'd rank Herrera alongside Butt and Fletcher with Hargreaves miles behind. Then Carrick and Ince the next level up, with Keane and Scholes obviously at the top.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Brilliant mentality and as big a heart. I feel ashamed I still havn't bought the #21 jersey. Love the guy!
I did that last year halfway through the season before he finished his immense season, good to see him at his best so I have a shirt with a player who is still at United. I will always go for fighters and palyers who know what it is to play for this club!

AKDevil

It was not a kick from behind or even a kick from sides. Herrera barely connected with Hazard legs before he fell in a heap. Way too soft to give a sending off, even in the context. Oliver was clearly fooled into thinking that there was a kick on Hazard, because of the dramatic tumble that Hazard put in.
It was a case of ref screwing it up, more than a player doing something stupid.
You don’t have to make contact (connect) to give away a free kick. An attempted trip is what the rules say and that was, especially as he was nowhere near the ball Hazard was in control of. And it wasn’t a straight red it was a second yellow. For me it’s simple, if he doesn’t run the risk and make the challenge, he doesn’t get sent off. I have zero sympathy when players don’t use their brains and do silly things like when already booked.

AKDevil

You can't just make up your own rules as a referee. Fouls are treated on their own merit, not to the whim of the referee deciding the direction of the game.

What Oliver did brings the game into disrepute, he decided that a specific player wasn't going to get fouled anymore. That sort of officiating wouldn't be out of place in the match fixing days of Seria A.
And he made it clear what he was going to do. Herrera was stupid for ignoring the clear warning.

Anyway, this is a tangent. He played well on Saturday. I like him.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
You don’t have to make contact (connect) to give away a free kick. An attempted trip is what the rules say and that was, especially as he was nowhere near the ball Hazard was in control of. And it wasn’t a straight red it was a second yellow. For me it’s simple, if he doesn’t run the risk and make the challenge, he doesn’t get sent off. I have zero sympathy when players don’t use their brains and do silly things like when already booked.
that doesnt change the fact that it was a stupid mistake by the ref who wanted to be the man of the match like always in Oliver's case. Nothing wrong with the player. Blaming him for being sent off in that situation is stupid, the same with referee saying that whoever will foul hazard next will get a yellow card, it is totally against the rules, especially when the foul was absolutely minimal if there was any and the player would be sent off..

Utdstar01

There's not much difference in Fletcher and Herrera. Herrera is comfortably better than Hargreaves(what we saw at United anyway)

Hargreaves has become pretty overrated I must say, people forget that his best performances for United came when he played as a right sided midfielder and he was pretty average in CM for us.
Pretty sure he played at RB wasn't it?

Mr PG

My MOTM, he was key in getting control in midfield after we were swamped, and then smashed home the winner.
Without Herrera, spurs might have been out of sight by halftime. Even made a last ditch clearance behind all the defenders

NoPace

RM, LM in the champions league and then ended up a right back yeah. He completely failed to cement his place in CM
Would be nice to have him here now, we could play him and Pogba as wide midfielders and a front 2.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

He's not bad this Ander Herrera.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He thrives in combative games played at a high intensity, the games like this where we have a lot of the ball he doesn't offer as much.
The Chelsea game will suit him down to the ground. He likes the task of stopping the other side play. To deal with their dangerman in midfield. Wasn't bad, but this game was never going to show him at his best, especially with the side Arsenal put out.

kundalini

What happened between Herrera and Matic to gift Arsenal possession prior to Mkhitaryan's goal ? Ridiculous.

He was no worse than a lot of the players that managed to avoid getting substituted.

Zoo

Him and Matic really struggle to work together at times.

DomesticTadpole

What happened between Herrera and Matic to gift Arsenal possession prior to Mkhitaryan's goal ? Ridiculous.

He was no worse than a lot of the players that managed to avoid getting substituted.
Lukaku injury made it that he had to bring Fellaini on for the height and he will never, ever take Matic off. No problem with the sub as Jose said it was tactical.

criticalanalysis

1st half I thought he was good. Was breaking up play, ticking possession along nicely with his neats AND offered decent forward/first time/incisive passes. Did well with Matic to cover for Pogba.

2nd half, fecked up for the goal and his standard dropped to everyone else's i.e foot was off the pedal.

DomesticTadpole

Him and Matic really struggle to work together at times.
I think in some games Ander can play the Matic role, he did it last season. He could have taken Matic off and saved his legs a bit. We have two away games now, Brighton on Friday and WHU the following Thursday, so will need to rotate his squad, as there will be a game at the weekend as well. Three games in just over a week.

Witchking

He is one player I trust to not lose the ball. His passing is always crisp. Miscommunication between him and matic was bad luck. But Valencia should have passed the ball correctly. Next season he will be an asset.

lsd

The Oracle
After a couple of good games was poor today and to blame for the goal. However had played well enough lately to get the chance to put things right next game

Walters_19_MuFc

Just way too safe. Never seen him switch play.

In 65 passes, he made 1 long pass today according to whoscored.com and it wasn't even accurate.

As good as he is off the ball, we need someone more creative on the ball than Herrera.

Status
Not open for further replies.