6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maccataq

Nah I'd like us to use him how City uses Fernandinho and then play two attack minded midfielders in front . He's made for the role . Remember when we went to Stamford Bridge a couple of years and bossed them in midfield? Who was in DM that day? Yep Herrera . He can still press from there but I feel in the advanced positions we need a bit more quality in the passing. Fred will give us the same pressing qualities as Herrera but better passing
No doubt that could work well and I'm a big fan of Herrera but I still think we need to replace Carrick, let alone Matic. Maybe that could be Fred or Pereira but Jose doesn't seem to think so. Today when Fulham actually started to have a go we needed someone to take control of the game in midfield and start dictating the play. Ok Fulham never really hurt us but they were having much more of the ball and we seemed to revert to that team that can't keep the ball when pressed for a short period leading up to the penalty.

Agree that Fred should help us with the pressing game.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Fantastic work today. Great saving tackle wrongly penalised for their penalty as well.

Bwuk

Really wish we’d go back to the Herrera - Pogba double pivot.

Herrera is better than Matic.

Ashley R1+O

Absolute warrior. Love him. The Herrera/Lingard/Rashford/Mata pressing unit was an absolute beast today. I think the first breakdown going forward will be Mata so finding somebody to replace him in that pressing unit (probably Fred) will be a must and it has allowed Matic to play a lot better and Lukaku at the top.

Much prefer this type of play from United.

peridigm

Should play more. He would run through a brick wall if Jose asked him to.

izec

One of the best signings we made post Fergie. We didnt have the right managers and idea how to play to use him to the maximum. He still delivers more often than not, until he gets dropped for longer spells for no reason.

settembrini

Matic: 2 tackles, 0 interceptions.
Herrera: 5 tackles, 10 interceptions.

He is a defensive monster. We should have made him captain after 16/17, not try and replace him with a clearly inferior player.

Walters_19_MuFc

10 fecking interceptions. Wow!

As I've said before, he is our Kante, Fernandinho, etc. The type of player who disrupts the oppositions flow.

Up and down the pitch today as usual. Pressed well and played it simple but effective.

Should be the first name on the teamsheet against Liverpool.

Put in a "mad dog" like Herrera alongside Pogba or Matic and you may see either one of those two put in a acceptable performance.
But play a combination of two strollers like Pogba and Matic together consistently ? Well,its only going to be bad.

Herrera has been in good form recently and is making those around him look somewhat effective.Plus his combination with Mata is always a delight.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

He is a defensive monster. We should have made him captain after 16/17, not try and replace him with a clearly inferior player.
That's ridiculous. And people say Matic was excellent.

Canagel

Absolute warrior. Love him. The Herrera/Lingard/Rashford/Mata pressing unit was an absolute beast today. I think the first breakdown going forward will be Mata so finding somebody to replace him in that pressing unit (probably Fred) will be a must and it has allowed Matic to play a lot better and Lukaku at the top.

Much prefer this type of play from United.
I don't think so.
Matic 2 tackles , 0 interceptions
Herrera 5 tackles, 10 interceptions

worldinmotion66

I would much rather see him in the team ahead of Matic and would be happy with him as our DM but I like him being slightly more advanced as he is the one who sets the tone in terms of our pressing so having him as DM would limit his ability to do that.
I agree with this, and I'd prefer to develop Pereira into the holding player as I think he's got the ability to control and dictate possession in that role. A midfield of Pereira, Herrera and Fred would have so much energy, whereas Pereira, Herrera and Pogba would have more attacking potential. We have all the tools, just not the right tradesman.

Foxbatt

He is not a defensive or holding midfield player. He does his best job in the middle of the pitch and arriving late in the box too. I feel we should play Lindelof in midfield instead of Matic and let Herrera and Pogba play in the middle.
He is captain material too.

gajender

I may be in a minority but I just don't rate Herrera as highly as some of the posters here do , just like Mata he is ok as a squad player but anything more we are accepting our fate as mere top 4 challenger very fact posters mention him as captain material shows how far we have fallen have they forgotten how Mark Noble of all people carried him off the pitch captain material my ass.

Steven7290

I may be in a minority but I just don't rate Herrera as highly as some of the posters here do , just like Mata he is ok as a squad player but anything more we are accepting our fate as mere top 4 challenger very fact posters mention him as captain material shows how far we have fallen have they forgotten how Mark Noble of all people carried him off the pitch captain material my ass.
I'm fairly sure you are.

Foxbatt

He is the only one who is capable of encouraging the players or even shouting at them. He is not our best player but sure is the best for the Captain because no one else even say a word on the pitch. It was his quick thinking that we scored the second goal in the Europa league too.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We need more players with the heart and desire to represent the club like he does

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't help but feel he's one player who should have been a mainstay of our midfield in the post SAF era, and that didn't happen for whatever reason. He was our POTY in 16/17 but he's been in and out other times. I do wonder how much is down to his own inconsistencies and how much is down to LVGs tactics and Mourinho preferring his favourite - Matic. Was Herrera crap at the start of 17/18 after a terrific season or was he dropped in favour of Matic from the start?.

Either way I like his kind of player. Suites a high pressing team which we've never been.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's not top class. Everyone knows that. Otherwise he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet. However many do feel he could be playing a bigger role then he often has since the start of 17/18. He does give us stamina, grit, urgency, good technical ability and the ability to press superbly. All things we want to see in our football but don't due to our set up.

haram

Good game. Just know he will shithouse his way through the Anfield game :devil:.

gajender

He's not top class. Everyone knows that. Otherwise he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet. However many do feel he could be playing a bigger role then he often has since the start of 17/18. He does give us stamina, grit, urgency, good technical ability and the ability to press superbly. All things we want to see in our football but don't due to our set up.

I don't have any problem with him playing greater role this season but he was poor last season, he is doing well currently so Mourinho should allow him to build on it but next season we need to replace Matic and if Fred prove to be failure we need upgrade there as well just don't see Herrera as regular with us.

ayushreddevil9

No we’ve got plenty of them. Need more quality. Much much more.
Like who? Agree on the quality part but we don't have a lot of players playing for the badge. Only Ander, DDG and Mata springs to my mind

midou

I would much rather see him in the team ahead of Matic and would be happy with him as our DM but I like him being slightly more advanced as he is the one who sets the tone in terms of our pressing so having him as DM would limit his ability to do that.
That is true as well. A solid DM, an attacking and creative oriented 8/10 hybrid and Herrera running wild in between is the perfect balance for him.

Currently though I think the best option is Herrera, Fred and Pogba with Pereira and Mata in the mix.

automaticflare

That makes perfect sense playing a high press where Herrera will be first to engage against a weak team who were awful at keeping the ball.

I love Herrera but the stats alone don’t tell the full story

ayushreddevil9

Rashford has been sprinting his heart out.
Maybe he is but I don't really feel any connection to any other player apart from those who i mentioned. You might say Young Smalling Jones too(basically players from SAF era) but I see more than half the squad playing for money.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe he is but I don't really feel any connection to any other player apart from those who i mentioned. You might say Young Smalling Jones too(basically players from SAF era) but I see more than half the squad playing for money.
Everyone plays for the money and that's the reason they play in PL.

Renegade

really don’t understand Mourinho’s mad dog comments when this guy is on the books. As if 16/17 never happened. 3 seasons straight José has bought a CM, spent £180m along the way and he always has to revert back to Herrera in the end.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Always liked Ander.

He has the talent, drive and passion, which is not something you can say about most of our players.

Captain material IMO.

settembrini

That makes perfect sense playing a high press where Herrera will be first to engage against a weak team who were awful at keeping the ball.

I love Herrera but the stats alone don’t tell the full story
Both of Matic's tackles where made in the Fulham half.
3/5 of Herrera's tackles where made in our half, as were 7/10 of his interceptions.

The stats support what I, and others, saw in the game. Matic put in yet another passive defensive performance with Herrera doing almost all of the work by himself.

lysglimt

Scout
Nah who would want a midfielder who can tackle, who dives to the ground to win the ball, who looks genuinely disgusted everytime we lose the ball and who seems to care :)

Idxomer

I thinks that's his best period in a united shirt since the stretch when we beat Tottenham, Liverpool and City in 2015.

Maccataq

I agree with this, and I'd prefer to develop Pereira into the holding player as I think he's got the ability to control and dictate possession in that role. A midfield of Pereira, Herrera and Fred would have so much energy, whereas Pereira, Herrera and Pogba would have more attacking potential. We have all the tools, just not the right tradesman.
Yeah I would definitely like to see a DM in the mould of Carrick. Fred needs to be given more game time and I just don't know what's going on with Pereira but he could be that player as you say. I rate him more highly than McTominay and Matic can do no wrong it seems. I really want to see us get the best out of Pogba too because he's our most talented player but I feel our best chance of seeing that if we get rid of Mourinho and if Pogba sticks around.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Throughout this time he is one of the only players who gives a monumental effort in every single game for you. You can tell he clearly cares a lot about United and doing well for the team and the fans. Super likeable.

Maccataq

If we had a few more with herrera's fight and passion we might not be in this mess. I also don't get this ambivalence towards mata. We look a much better attacking unit whilst he is in the team. He doesn't give the ball away, he links the midfield and attack, he scores, he assists.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really wish we’d go back to the Herrera - Pogba double pivot.

Herrera is better than Matic.
Yep 100% no surprise that we’ve looked worse since Matic arrived. Our first year where we actually won trophies was because of Pogba/Herrera midfield.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Can't help but feel he's one player who should have been a mainstay of our midfield in the post SAF era, and that didn't happen for whatever reason. He was our POTY in 16/17 but he's been in and out other times. I do wonder how much is down to his own inconsistencies and how much is down to LVGs tactics and Mourinho preferring his favourite - Matic. Was Herrera crap at the start of 17/18 after a terrific season or was he dropped in favour of Matic from the start?.

Either way I like his kind of player. Suites a high pressing team which we've never been.
Herrera was really, really poor at the start of last season. He was woeful against Real in Super Cup and it continued into the league. Conversely, Matic was brilliant during the first few months hence why Herrera was dropped for the first few league games. The tables have now turned however, I think both are clearly very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.