6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStarUnited

Wasn't really under pressure though - Herrera is a bit more dynamic but probably worse in possession which I think would complement Pog/Fred better against stronger teams
Herrera is not worse in possession.

I dont honestly see what Matic brings to the team.

tomaldinho1

Herrera is not worse in possession.

I dont honestly see what Matic brings to the team.
I think he's very tidy when not under pressure but age/game time has caught up with him. That's not to say Herrera is bad, I would defintely start him over Matic

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
In the space of 5 minutes he won the ball back 4 times, one of which should have resulted in a goal. How many times did Matic win it back the entire game? Time for Herrera to start over Matic, we need a DM that's capable of protecting the defense and recycle possession.
After Matic vs Juventus, even Jones in his position wouldn't be a big risk. Herrera definitely deserves a chance considering how shite Matic is.

Irwin99

Got stuck in as usual. Would like to see him, Pogba and Fred in a midfield trio.

Canagel

Wasn't really under pressure though - Herrera is a bit more dynamic but probably worse in possession which I think would complement Pog/Fred better against stronger teams
As a box to box midfielder I agree with you he's not good enough in possession but as a DM who's job is to break up the play and give it to the more creative players he can still do this and should over Matic. With Fred also in the midfield we really don't need Matic anymore.

Member 93275

He's so one dimensional and limited. For a player lacking body and speed as well, I don't get it, except he keeps saying he loves United and has some grit.

tomaldinho1

As a box to box midfielder I agree with you he's not good enough in possession but as a DM who's job is to break up the play and give it to the more creative players he can still do this and should over Matic. With Fred also in the midfield we really don't need Matic anymore.
Yh I think we should have a Pereira/Pog/Fred when at home or at teams we should be beating and then swap Pereira out for Herrera away at Chelsea, City etc. Matic on bench and a very useful sub late on when experienced heads are needed and his lack of place will matter less given other players are tired.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yh I think we should have a Pereira/Pog/Fred when at home or at teams we should be beating and then swap Pereira out for Herrera away at Chelsea, City etc. Matic on bench and a very useful sub late on when experienced heads are needed and his lack of place will matter less given other players are tired.
There isn't a single team that plays a midfield so defensively weak. It is never going to be our midfield and thankfully so. Matic or Ander will always be in the starting XI. Or Fellaini doing that drop between the CBs role he did quite well earlier this season.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not sure why our fans feel the need to shit on our own players just to big up others.

Matic had a good game, but Ander was brilliant in his cameo and has to be pushing for a start.
I don't think Matic had a good game. I don't understand what he contributes to the side in his current poor form.

I'm not necessarily shitting on him, it's just the two are in direction competition for the same spot. And what Herrera is doing at the moment in limited game time is what Matic isn't.

ivaldo

He's so one dimensional and limited. For a player lacking body and speed as well, I don't get it, except he keeps saying he loves United and has some grit.
He wins the ball back an impressively high amount of times per game. He's as good as anyone at it. He's also very good at playing through balls.

tomaldinho1

There isn't a single team that plays a midfield so defensively weak. It is never going to be our midfield and thankfully so. Matic or Ander will always be in the starting XI. Or Fellaini doing that drop between the CBs role he did quite well earlier this season.
I think our issue is we are set up very defensively so the personnel that start must not be overly defensive (this is a major problem we have in my mind and a big reason for the drab attacking displays we have seen this season) - I get the impression you would always like one 'typical' DM in a team (Kante, Gattuso, Matic etc) but I don't see why that should be the case given my point is this is how I would setup for a home game vs someone like Huddersfield or Fulham. Games in which we have struggled to create anything (Newcastle).

I'd actually argue any of those three is a better CB screen already than Matic because of how knackered he seems/how slow he is. Pereira/Pog/Fred might not work but to dismiss it for being defensively weak is a bit basic when, if you think about it, the thing Herrera excels at is interceptions/tackles but if we have 60%+ possession, that skillset is rarely in use. That's not to say he's terrible on the ball but I'd argue that all 3 of my trio offer much more from an attacking/retaining possession perspective. Basically I'd happily take the risk to include someone more creative, with a better range of passing and also (especially in Pereira's case) someone who adds an option from set pieces. It's also worth noting, although very obvious we sometimes forget, all three of those guys is very adequate defensively - not like it's Scholesy..

Member 93275

He wins the ball back an impressively high amount of times per game. He's as good as anyone at it. He's also very good at playing through balls.
I remember some moments from a game when he was playing with Schweinsteiger. The first moment, Schweinsteiger was between the center and left side of midfield, and played the ball to Shaw moving up on the left. The moment the ball left his foot, he angled to Depay and moved a little bit forward, while looking to his right. He was already completing the triangle and continuation before it happened.

Later in that game, Schweinsteiger was at the right midfield and wanted to play to Herrera coming from the center. There was a player between him and Herrera. Herrera's body language was like "hey I'm covered", but Schweinsteiger nodded forward like "Just take a few steps forwards and the angle is there". Herrera didn't get it, Schweinsteiger himself moved forward and created the angle and played to Herrari.

Disregarding his fitness issues and not fitting in the team, Schweinsteiger was the best player in that team. Misunderstood, because after the game he was criticized for slowing the game down in moments such as with Herrera.

My point is, Herrera doesn't have that football intelligence. He gets the ball, sees a team mate and passes. That's it. He started as an attacking midfielder, the one to give that last pass, and he was not good enough. He didn't make it in the center as well. And now we have a defensive midfielder without body or pace or sophistication.

I agree he can win a ball and give a pass. And despite what I said, he is a good player. For Everton or Athletic Bilbao though. Not for a club like Manchester United, they should aim much higher.

ivaldo

I remember some moments from a game when he was playing with Schweinsteiger. The first moment, Schweinsteiger was between the center and left side of midfield, and played the ball to Shaw moving up on the left. The moment the ball left his foot, he angled to Depay and moved a little bit forward, while looking to his right. He was already completing the triangle and continuation before it happened.

Later in that game, Schweinsteiger was at the right midfield and wanted to play to Herrera coming from the center. There was a player between him and Herrera. Herrera's body language was like "hey I'm covered", but Schweinsteiger nodded forward like "Just take a few steps forwards and the angle is there". Herrera didn't get it, Schweinsteiger himself moved forward and created the angle and played to Herrari.

Disregarding his fitness issues and not fitting in the team, Schweinsteiger was the best player in that team. Misunderstood, because after the game he was criticized for slowing the game down in moments such as with Herrera.

My point is, Herrera doesn't have that football intelligence. He gets the ball, sees a team mate and passes. That's it. He started as an attacking midfielder, the one to give that last pass, and he was not good enough. He didn't make it in the center as well. And now we have a defensive midfielder without body or pace or sophistication.

I agree he can win a ball and give a pass. And despite what I said, he is a good player. For Everton or Athletic Bilbao though. Not for a club like Manchester United, they should aim much higher.
Your anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything, I'm afraid. You can give examples of this for every player. I can remember Carrick doing it plenty of times, for example.

He's more than good enough on the ball to be a DM / ball winning midfielder, better than most.

Here is a stat comparison to Kante when Kante won player of the year a few years back, along with a comparable to Matics first season with us, where msny fans rated him very highly.

Canagel

For this he should play over Matic. Until we find someone with better passing than both. At least Herrera recovers the ball. The Martial chance at the end wouldn't have happened without Herrera winning possession back and quickly passing it on for Fred who passed to martial.

ivaldo

For this he should play over Matic. Until we find someone with better passing than both. At least Herrera recovers the ball. The Martial chance at the end wouldn't have happened without Herrera winning possession back and quickly passing it on for Fred who passed to martial.
Absolutely. He's very good at putting us on the front foot. We should be looking to phase Matic out. Herrera can then play back up/rotate with the new DM and with Fred.

ivaldo

That's just a logical fallacy to dismiss the clear premise without providing actual counter arguments. OK. You're a fan ;)
Except where I provided you a link with actual statistical evidence to support my point. Strange you decided to only quote the first line of my response and omit the bit where I substantiate my view. But no, you're right, your "one time at band camp" story is much better... :rolleyes:

Member 93275

Except where I provided you a link with actual statistical evidence to support my point. Strange you decided to only quote the first line of my response and omit the bit where I substantiate my view. But no, you're right, your "one time at band camp" story is much better... :rolleyes:
He can be a useful player just like Blind was, and ManUtd should get rid of him just like Blind because in the end ManUtd should do better, because they are not Everton. My "one time at band camp" story is just one example to provide an epitome, listing 100 such occurrences wouldn't change the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivaldo

He can be a useful player just like Blind was, and ManUtd should get rid of him just like Blind because in the end ManUtd should do better, because they are not Everton.
Superb job of qualifying your opinion there. If you're going to criticize others for a lack of a counter argument, particularly when there balantly is one - citation included, you might want to make a better job of your own. Repeating "Everton" several times ain't gonna cut it.

Member 93275

I'm not looking for a fight man, it's just my inconsequential opinion about the player Herrera, you should hate my opinion that he's not exactly a Makélélé or Davids, instead of me ;)

ivaldo

I'm not looking for a fight man, it's just my inconsequential opinion about the player Herrera, you should hate my opinion that he's not exactly a Makélélé or Davids, instead of me ;)
I wasn't looking for a fight, just point out your hypocrisy, hence my reasoned response and the effort I put in to make my point. You've responded by ignoring what I wrote entirely, calling my response a "logical fallacy" without providing any evidence to support your own, and finished with what amounts to calling me a fanboy. Top contribution though. ;););)

M16Red

Matic isnt doing to well ATM, people just seem to run off him all the time and with pogba not the best at pickup up players. I wonder if this fella should get a chance.

He won player of the 2017 and man of the match in the UEFA cup final that year as well (wikki). He a little ba*tard to play against which i love about him, great at breaking up counters..

Member 93275

Herrera is a master of that weighted pass.
When he has been played as a AM he has been very effective.
Wasn't the problem he turned out to be not, under LVG and Mourinho? He can potentially do it when the opportunity and angle are there. He cannot when he has to create those, especially when under pressure from the beasts up there. That extra level is not there.

Member 93275

Even if you're right and I'm wrong, his managers stopped playing him there for some reason(s) which outweighed his benefits as an AM. And I'm still left wondering, what is his position? Others here defend his merits as DM.

keener

Herrera ends up being a fan favorite and a player of the month/yr type character. I want him in the holding spot immediately. He will speed up our team, our attack and his ability to man mark and intercept balls, his workrate and intensity will change the way we play or at least enable us to play more effectively as a pressing team.

RedDevil@84

Would be nice to see a Fred-Herrera-Pogba midfield tomorrow. I really like Herrera in that DM role.
No Matic, no fun. We don't put all under-performers out of team in one go. As of now it is Lukaku who is taking the heat. When he'll be back, then we'll think about Matic.

Herrera is a strange one. He’s never been able to hold down a first team place. He’s had periods where he’s played week in week out, but then he’s been out of the team - he has always seemed like he’s ‘work in progress’, and has the potential to excel, but he’s 29 now. On paper, Free, Herrera and Pogba could work well. Matic definitely needs time out of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.