6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

Lost composure in the second half with his desperate shooting. Him and Young are two of our most experienced players and were the biggest culprits tonight which was disappointing.

izec

Lost composure in the second half with his desperate shooting. Him and Young are two of our most experienced players and were the biggest culprits tonight which was disappointing.
it is hard to single out any player, they were all garbage from back to front.

Ace of Spades

Put his all into the game, has too much work to do IMO, just too much ground to cover against a mobile midfield that was also technically good, he was his usual tenacious self and used the ball well for the most part, certainly more composed and crafty with it than most of our players.
He has to cover both his partners which is ridiculous, once they get past him then it becomes fairly easy to attack.

Consistent solid midfielder.Greater without the ball than he is with it,which isn't a criticism.
Need a higher level midfielder than him and Matic though.A player who can dictate our game.

Give Herrera a new contract.He's certainly earned it but we need to evolve from him too.

Silas

Played well. Personally though, I think I'd rather him be pushed further away from goal into Matic's role. As we saw in the game, when Pogba's man marked, our RCM is provided with a hell of a lot more space and I don't think he has the offensive ability to make the best use of it. Rather than get a DLP to replace Matic, we should make Ander the DM and get a creative (controller) #8 for an additional threat in attack. Ander running around, covering for Matic (who isn't creative to compensate for one our two #8s having to be his legs) isn't ideal at all. I thought he played great there in Mourinho's first season for what it's worth (our POTY that season), even if it was a bit different in a 4231.

Last edited:

Fracture90

Herrera was his usual self, ran his arse off and was doing his best, can't really fault him for anything last night. Unlucky not to have scored from that one shot he had. My MOTM last night.

DarkRed

Was man marking Verratti and failed miserably, was the weakest link in the first half as Verratti did whatever he wanted, all of their attacks came through him, contributed nothing offensively.

Played well but when Lingard went off he was always going to be in for a difficult evening. He was left trying to press on his own and was just getting passed around at times. He's no good in a static team which is what we became after the injuries.

ForestRGoinUp

Pogba man marked so the burden fell on him to dictate. Not capable of it. Overrated blue collar player.

poleglass red

I think both he and Matic can be upgraded but I don't see that happening as we need to strengthen other areas. He is basically the energy and legs to cover our defensive mid in Matic as he can't track runners. As this level we need a defensive mid who can track runners on his own. We've basically 2 men doing one job. If Pogba isn't being creative or is shut down we have nothing in mid creatively. Get us a mid who can dictate the pace of the game, can be creative and let Herrera do Matic's job. We can get away with it to a large degree in the pl but we are found out when we play top level european teams. Herrera as a 6, a new number 8 and Pogba in his role as he is currently

ForestRGoinUp

I think both he and Matic can be upgraded but I don't see that happening as we need to strengthen other areas. He is basically the energy and legs to cover our defensive mid in Matic as he can't track runners. As this level we need a defensive mid who can track runners on his own. We've basically 2 men doing one job. If Pogba isn't being creative or is shut down we have nothing in mid creatively. Get us a mid who can dictate the pace of the game, can be creative and let Herrera do Matic's job. We can get away with it to a large degree in the pl but we are found out when we play top level european teams. Herrera as a 6, a new number 8 and Pogba in his role as he is currently
Two players doing one job is the best way of putting it. And that’s the reasonable way forward. Should start next season this way instead of rolling Matic back out there.

Raven

Pogba man marked so the burden fell on him to dictate. Not capable of it. Overrated blue collar player.
One of the worst posts I've ever seen. What exactly is a blue collar player when it's out and about? And why is it a bad thing? Your credibility is going to take a dent if you're going to be posting nonsense like you have done in this post.

ForestRGoinUp

One of the worst posts I've ever seen. What exactly is a blue collar player when it's out and about? And why is it a bad thing? Your credibility is going to take a dent if you're going to be posting nonsense like you have done in this post.
Blue collar isn't an insult. Ander is very good at the one thing everyone points out, and not much else. A more well-rounded player will be needed in his position for this team to stand up to the top level opponents. And as mentioned by others, it would make sense for him to possibly play in Matic's role so that his position can be replaced with someone who can share the creative burden that lies fully on Pogba at this moment. Though Ander lacks some of the vision and range you like from that DM position as well.

Plenty have said that the midfield around Pogba can be upgraded. So it's not the worst observation ever....

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Blue collar isn't an insult. Ander is very good at the one thing everyone points out, and not much else. A more well-rounded player will be needed in his position for this team to stand up to the top level opponents. And as mentioned by others, it would make sense for him to possibly play in Matic's role so that his position can be replaced with someone who can share the creative burden that lies fully on Pogba at this moment. Though Ander lacks some of the vision and range you like from that DM position as well.

Plenty have said that the midfield around Pogba can be upgraded. So it's not the worst observation ever....
Not the worst observation ever but pretty simplistic and flippant. To give Pogba a free pass because he was 'marked' and decide that because Herrera couldn't cope with the rampant PSG last night that he's not capable is pretty ridiculous. He's not going to be a playmaker for us but he's being exceptionally effective since Ole took the reins. Last night does not negate what he can give us.

ForestRGoinUp

Not the worst observation ever but pretty simplistic and flippant. To give Pogba a free pass because he was 'marked' and decide that because Herrera couldn't cope with the rampant PSG last night that he's not capable is pretty ridiculous. He's not going to be a playmaker for us but he's being exceptionally effective since Ole took the reins. Last night does not negate what he can give us.
The observation is more along the lines that the top teams have more than one player in midfield who can hold the ball and dictate the game. I happen to think Ander is good but not good enough to share that burden. One of he or Matic needs to be able to do that. So one should be upgraded. You say simplistic, I say rather obvious.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
The observation is more along the lines that the top teams have more than one player in midfield who can hold the ball and dictate the game. I happen to think Ander is good but not good enough to share that burden. One of he or Matic needs to be able to do that. So one should be upgraded. You say simplistic, I say rather obvious.
Ok, point taken. Looks less off hand when you say one of himself or Matic have to be able to help dictate.

Raven

This isn't what you said. You said Herrera is an "overrated blue collar player". Youre back tracking hard. I agree Matic badly needs to be replaced, but you had a swipe at Herrera and were left looking silly.

Canagel

He couldve done more on the edge of the box. Some good positions but not much came from it.

ForestRGoinUp

This isn't what you said. You said Herrera is an "overrated blue collar player". Youre back tracking hard. I agree Matic badly needs to be replaced, but you had a swipe at Herrera and were left looking silly.
And I stand by it. I’ve said he’s good. But he’s touted as being great or irreplaceable on here. He’s neither and the teams we’re chasing do have better, more well rounded midfielders than him.

Raven

And I stand by it. I’ve said he’s good. But he’s touted as being great or irreplaceable on here. He’s neither and the teams we’re chasing do have better, more well rounded midfielders than him.
He's a disruptive midfielder. We need a tempo setter, which is what Matic's role is supposed to have been under Ole. He's our version of Kante. Matic needs replacing, Herrera does not.

Lebo

So one game erases everything that happened in the past 10games? Are you guys having memory problems? Anyway I don’t think Herrera was that bad. Our biggest problem last night was Pogba in midfield and upfront Martial. Coincidentally my favorite players .

Let’s hope for an early goal in 2nd leg

klsv

That's two matches in a row I voted for Herrera as MoTM.
What a pity van Gal and Mourinho absolutely were clueless about his abilities
Mourinho's a weird one. Herrera was one of our best players during Jose's first season. Then Matic was brought in for his second season and Herrera was benched even during matches where we played three in the midfield.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Mourinho's a weird one. Herrera was one of our best players during Jose's first season. Then Matic was brought in for his second season and Herrera was benched even during matches where we played three in the midfield.
Mourinho likes players who just blindly obey him.

He is an idiot.

And he holds grudges. Its all about him.
He did not give a damn about the club.

ForestRGoinUp

Boy, it's a lot of talk in that other thread about the midfield needing a real upgrade around Pogba. Far cry from this thread...

izec

Boy, it's a lot of talk in that other thread about the midfield needing a real upgrade around Pogba. Far cry from this thread...
I dont think it is Herrera that needs upgrading for now, rather Matic. Herrera pushed back to a more positional and screening DM role , and we bring in a proper CM playmaker, that can do the creative work on the ball and get stuck in off it. Matic can rotate, but i would also say we need something different and better in midfield if we want to get better.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Played well. Personally though, I think I'd rather him be pushed further away from goal into Matic's role. As we saw in the game, when Pogba's man marked, our RCM is provided with a hell of a lot more space and I don't think he has the offensive ability to make the best use of it. Rather than get a DLP to replace Matic, we should make Ander the DM and get a creative (controller) #8 for an additional threat in attack. Ander running around, covering for Matic (who isn't creative to compensate for one our two #8s having to be his legs) isn't ideal at all. I thought he played great there in Mourinho's first season for what it's worth (our POTY that season), even if it was a bit different in a 4231.
I completely agree. Herrera gets quite a bit of space offensively and doesn't always take advantage of it, but is amazing defensively and, in Mourinho's first year as you said, was brilliant as our deepest CM in a 2 alongside Pogba.

For now - until we buy a CM more capable of dictating games and influencing us in the final 3rd or until Fred maaaaaybe comes good - I'd like to see Matic and Herrera's roles reversed. Matic can at least drive the ball forwards with nice dribbling skills, and can keep it under pressure with his close control and shielding of the ball which would help up keep it higher up the pitch in tighter spaces. So, with the space our RCM gets due to the attention being on our left with Pogba and Martial, I reckon Matic could drive us forwards into good positions more often than not there, and we'd be better at defending counter attacks as Herrera not only covers so much ground, but is amazing at intercepting balls, too.

astracrazy

Herrera for captain?

Really inpressed with his interview pre match and especially post match.

Seems to say the right thing as well about the team and his team mates.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What a player. Won 6 tackles and 5 interceptions, by far the best defensively on the pitch.

Renegade

Mental how people were happy to see him leave on a free. Incredible player that love’s playing for us. Ignored by Jose & LVG for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.