Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

He missed the first 2 games.

He started the spurs game in defence.

He then played 100 or so minutes in the next 10 games.

He played CM vs City because Pogba was out injured.

After the City game he was dropped

Against Southampton he played in CM while Matic was in defence.

Vs Arsenal at home we played 5 at the back.

Then Mourinho got fired.

What part of this is Herrera playing in a CM duo with Matic?
Very little. He's played far more under Ole where he's been in DM almost every game in a duo. 6 for Mourinho, 9 for Ole. 50% more games

goin4glory

Very little. He's played far more under Ole where he's been in DM almost every game in a duo. 6 for Mourinho, 9 for Ole. 50% more games
He didn't play 6 for Mourinho. As I've already outlined multiple times and given you exact games. And even if it was 50% or so of games he's barely played any games anyway. He's played 1200 minutes vs Matic 2300 and Pogba 2700.

Doubling down when you're verifiably wrong is a incredibly ignorant.

Ekeke

He didn't play 6 for Mourinho. As I've already outlined multiple times and given you exact games. And even if it was 50% or so of games he's barely played any games anyway. He's played 1200 minutes vs Matic 2300 and Pogba 2700.

Doubling down when you're verifiably wrong is a incredibly ignorant.
He started 6 premier league games. 9 under Ole. Stick to what was said

arnie_ni

Then Mourinho got fired.

Why are you discussing jose. Herrera was a key cog, possibly the most important part, of oles initial run. Its no coincidence its gone to crap when he's out.

He does the job of two people and allows pogba to go forward.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I really loved him. Then he suddenly wanted to move to PSG apparently, got mystically "injured" and we haven't seen him since. In the same time-period we have gone from our best run in years to probably our worst. I feel nothing for him anymore. Such a weird season, and a weird club we have become.

goin4glory

As I've already posted more than 5 of our average positions with Ander playing and he started 9 under Ole, the majority he did.
You posted his stats for the full season claiming he was playing alongside Matic as a duo. Which has been shown to be false. He's played around half the minutes of Matic and even when they both played if was often in different positions I.E Herrera in defence vs Spurs or Matic in the back 3. When they did line up together it was often because Pogba was injured or dropped under Mourinho.

All of the above should provide some context as to why your analysis was utter nonsense. But no, you have an average position map from 5 games, in a season 35 games in where he's barely played.

Let's do a stats breakdown of Herrera minutes games this season vs other CM's.

Minutes played:

Herrera 1300
Fernandinho 2400
Bernardo Silva: 2600
Kante: 3000
Pogba: 2700
Matic 2300
Wijnaldum: 2600
Jorginho: 2900
Eriksen 2600

He's barely played all season.

goin4glory

Why are you discussing jose. Herrera was a key cog, possibly the most important part, of oles initial run. Its no coincidence its gone to crap when he's out.

He does the job of two people and allows pogba to go forward.
I'm disagreeing with Ekeke who claimed Herrera was playing in a DM duo alongside Matic all season. Which is verifiably false.

Ekeke

You posted his stats for the full season claiming he was playing alongside Matic as a duo. Which has been shown to be false. He's played around half the minutes of Matic and even when they both played if was often in different positions I.E Herrera in defence vs Spurs or Matic in the back 3. When they did line up together it was often because Pogba was injured or dropped under Mourinho.

All of the above should provide some context as to why your analysis was utter nonsense. But no, you have an average position map from 5 games, in a season 35 games in where he's barely played.

Let's do a stats breakdown of Herrera minutes games this season vs other CM's.

Minutes played:

Herrera 1300
Fernandinho 2400
Bernardo Silva: 2600
Kante: 3000
Pogba: 2700
Matic 2300
Wijnaldum: 2600
Jorginho: 2900
Eriksen 2600

He's barely played all season.
1117 of those he played in CM/DM midfield, and most of them were in a DM duo. Eriksen has played 1440 in a CM/DM position, Bernardo Silva 1578, so yes it has been less minutes but he's not a million miles away from those 2 this season.

arnie_ni

I'm disagreeing with Ekeke who claimed Herrera was playing in a DM duo alongside Matic all season. Which is verifiably false.
Oh not all season, but since ole took over until his injury he was.

It should be matic we are replacing, now my biggest fear is we buy one midfielder to replace Herrera and are stuck with matic

Lee565

Considering our midfield options, why would we not be wanting to keep him on even for squad depth, our other more defensive options are Matic and Fred, I feel more optimistic seeing Herrera on the pitch protecting our defense than the other two and our depth in midfield is not fantastic, I would rather see the club make money off of selling Matic and freeing up his wages.

Ekeke

Considering our midfield options, why would we not be wanting to keep him on even for squad depth, our other more defensive options are Matic and Fred, I feel more optimistic seeing Herrera on the pitch protecting our defense than the other two and our depth in midfield is not fantastic, I would rather see the club make money off of selling Matic and freeing up his wages.
Also, assuming we sign a new player for midfield this summer, if you were coming into a new club wouldnt Ander be the player you're happy to see there stabilizing the midfield with his work ethic and team play? Rather than Pogba who tends to neglect any defensive responsibility and Matic who barely wins the ball. For me Ander would be the ideal player to play next to while you're settling in at a new club in midfield.

goin4glory

1117 of those he played in CM/DM midfield, and most of them were in a DM duo. Eriksen has played 1440 in a CM/DM position, Bernardo Silva 1578, so yes it has been less minutes but he's not a million miles away from those 2 this season.
When he has played, he has played to the right DM with an average position behind the halfway line.
Where has Pogba been playing in all these games we lined up with two DM's then? Because we play a 3 man CM so by your logic Pogba is in a DM role beside Herrera or as a 10.

Ekeke

Where has Pogba been playing in all these games we lined up with two DM's then? Because we play a 3 man CM so by your logic Pogba is in a DM role beside Herrera or as a 10.
He's as far forward as City's "10s from midfield" Bernardo Silva and David Silva etc. Only they put more effort into tracking back and closing down. In some games he does help a little bit defensively, but far too often he puts no effort in.

goin4glory

He's as far forward as City's "10s from midfield" Bernardo Silva and David Silva etc. Only they put more effort into tracking back and closing down. In some games he does help a little bit defensively, but far too often he puts no effort in.
He plays as far forward as those players because they don't play as 10s. City play in a 4-3-3 with one holder (Fernandinho) just like we do.

It's only in your mind that we play with 2 holders and Pogba as a 10.

Ekeke

He plays as far forward as those players because they don't play as 10s. City play in a 4-3-3 with one holder (Fernandinho) just like we do.

It's only in your mind that we play with 2 holders and Pogba as a 10.
City against United :

Fernandinho just before the halfway line, the same as Ander's position. Gundogan a little bit beyond the half way line.

The only difference there is that Fernandinho is the deepest City midfielder while Ander is next to Matic. They are both doing the job Fernandinho does for City.

goin4glory

City against United :

Fernandinho just before the halfway line, the same as Ander's position. Gundogan a little bit beyond the half way line.

The only difference there is that Fernandinho is the deepest City midfielder while Ander is next to Matic. They are both doing the job Fernandinho does for City.
You're not even making coherent points anymore.

Are you honestly claiming that United play a 3 man CM with Pogba as a 10?

Ekeke

You're not even making coherent points anymore.

Are you honestly claiming that United play a 3 man CM with Pogba as a 10?
I'm saying Pogba plays as far up the pitch as the AMs from City who, when they have the ball become number 10s.

But they work harder than Pogba when City dont have the ball. You dont see them strolling back as the furthest players up the pitch, they are quick to get into a position to press and put some pressure on the opposition. Pogba doesn't tend to bother with that.

So while he does play in the same area as someone like De Bruyne, or the Silvas end up he tends to only do half the job they do - the part where we have the ball.

Ander and Matic have to do all the defending. Fernandinho gets some help from City's talented attacking players

goin4glory

I'm saying Pogba plays as far up the pitch as the AMs from City who, when they have the ball become number 10s.

But they work harder than Pogba when City dont have the ball. You dont see them strolling back as the furthest players up the pitch, they are quick to get into a position to press and put some pressure on the opposition. Pogba doesn't tend to bother with that.

So while he does play in the same area as someone like De Bruyne, or the Silvas end up he tends to only do half the job they do - the part where we have the ball.

Ander and Matic have to do all the defending. Fernandinho gets some help from City's talented attacking players
Manchester United DO NOT set up with 2 holding DM's and Pogba ahead of them. Saying otherwise is total nonsense.

Bernardo Silva has just been put in team of the season playing on the right side of a 3 man CM because THAT'S WHERE HE PLAYS.

Pogba has just been put in the team of the season playing left side of a 3 man CM because THAT'S WHERE HE PLAYS.

Both sides play a 4-3-3. United do not play in a 4-2-3-1.

Ekeke

Manchester United DO NOT set up with 2 holding DM's and Pogba ahead of them. Saying otherwise is total nonsense.

Bernardo Silva has just been put in team of the season playing on the right side of a 3 man CM because THAT'S WHERE HE PLAYS.

Pogba has just been put in the team of the season playing left side of a 3 man CM because THAT'S WHERE HE PLAYS.

Both sides play a 4-3-3. United do not play in a 4-2-3-1.
You're being far too simplistic. I'm not surprised tbh. Pogba plays as an attacking player for us, he doesn't take part in much of the defending but he gets on the scoresheet as one of our furthest forward players.

City's midfielders defend, because defending is part of a midfielder's job.

Irwin99

Then Mourinho got fired.

This is why he's leaving sadly. Jose made it clear last season that Ander wasn't in his plans and his form was awful. I only remember one match last year where he played like the real Ander Herrera and that was against Spurs in the FA cup semi final. The club hierarchy probably agreed with Jose and there was no rush to renew his contract.

I blame Jose for this one :mad:

arnie_ni

When matic and herrera start in midfield together, they both play deeper and pogba plays further ahead of them. Is this even a debate?

goin4glory

You're being far too simplistic. I'm not surprised tbh. Pogba plays as an attacking player for us, he doesn't take part in much of the defending but he gets on the scoresheet as one of our furthest forward players.

City's midfielders defend, because defending is part of a midfielder's job.
City play in a 4-3-3. So do United.

Herrera does not play in a DM duo.

If you're going to claim that I'm being simplistic and City midfielders defend then maybe you should check the stats from whoscored before doing so, because Pogba makes more tackles per game than any of Bernardo Silva/David Silva/Gundogan or KDB.

Water Melon

Good luck replacing Ander if he leaves. We have seen what Fred and Matic can offer us. Herrera's replacement will cost us 50 million mininum, and I am yet to understand why would we let Ander leave if the brazilian and Nemanja are staying.

Ekeke

City play in a 4-3-3. So do United.

Herrera does not play in a DM duo.

If you're going to claim that I'm being simplistic and City midfielders defend then maybe you should check the stats from whoscored before doing so, because Pogba makes more tackles per game than any of Bernardo Silva/David Silva/Gundogan or KDB.
Tackles arent the only part of defending. You also need to close players down, put pressure on them, block passing channels, interceptions, etc. Again far too simplistic. Tackles are good but only one part of defending. Its not like a striker where you might just look at goals scored. A midfielder's job covers a lot of bases

City play with 2x #10s that start from midfield but when they have the ball they both end up in the hole, the space between the opponent's midfield and attack. While Fernandinho takes up a DM role just about in his own half.

We play with Matic and Ander 5 or 6 yards in front of Smalling and Lindelof. And Pogba usually the central player closest to the striker.

goin4glory

Tackles arent the only part of defending. You also need to close players down, put pressure on them, block passing channels, interceptions, etc. Again far too simplistic. Tackles are good but only one part of defending. Its not like a striker where you might just look at goals scored. A midfielder's job covers a lot of bases

City play with 2x #10s that start from midfield but when they have the ball they both end up in the hole, the space between the opponent's midfield and attack. While Fernandinho takes up a DM role just about in his own half.

We play with Matic and Ander 5 or 6 yards in front of Smalling and Lindelof. And Pogba usually the central player closest to the striker.
Pogba also out performs those midfielders on clearances/recoveries/duels won/successful 50/50's.

You're talking total nonsense because you want Herrera to stay and have keep mis representing stats in a way very easily exposed.

Ekeke

Pogba also out performs those midfielders on clearances/recoveries/duels won/successful 50/50's.

You're talking total nonsense because you want Herrera to stay and have keep mis representing stats in a way very easily exposed.
Great. So tell me what your count of how many times Pogba closes down players and puts pressure on them with a genuine attempt as if its going to be successful and win the ball compared to David Silva and Bernardo Silva? Even Aguero put more effort into closing down our players than Pogba put into closing down City players.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Good to see him start. Just hope he's fit enough; he's got Matic to carry again.

goin4glory

Great. So tell me what your count of how many times Pogba closes down players and puts pressure on them with a genuine attempt as if its going to be successful and win the ball compared to David Silva and Bernardo Silva? Even Aguero put more effort into closing down our players than Pogba put into closing down City players.
Unless you have some stats that calculates how much pressure someone puts on a ball you've got nothing. Because Pogba performs as well as or better than those CM's in the defensive areas that are measurable.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Good luck replacing Ander if he leaves. We have seen what Fred and Matic can offer us. Herrera's replacement will cost us 50 million mininum, and I am yet to understand why would we let Ander leave if the brazilian and Nemanja are staying.
whatever he is asking, its nothing compared to replacing him.

And he is a fine footballer.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Agreed, but it seems like the club is taking a hard line because they want to get the wage structure back in order. I think it'll backfire unfortunately - breaking your wage structure is like opening up Pandora's box; there's no going back.

Walters_19_MuFc

Has he definately agreed to join PSG? If not, then we should be looking to renew his contract.

His energy is infectious. There's no coincidence that we played with more energy today and looked stronger as a unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.