Ander Herrera: Football not always most important thing at United (Read translation for context)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
From the full article
“That does not come out of my mouth. I don’t know, but football was not the most important thing in Manchester. I do not want to compare, all I know is that here, I feel like I’m breathing football on all sides. And I like it,” the former United midfielder added.

Herrera’s comments could also come across a dig at United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who has been criticised over the years by a large section of fans for prioritising commercial aspects over football.

I agree he does seem to imply it to the players but when you say "breathing from all sides" implies to the club as a whole. Seems unfitting to put it that way if he was only referring to the players being just one side of the club. It was atleast how i see what he meant.
He is talking about the atmosphere at the training ground and in the next sentence use the staff as an example. He sets the context relatively clearly.

kambinks

He is talking about the atmosphere at the training ground and in the next sentence use the staff as an example. He sets the context relatively clearly.
Don't know about that mate. Even the interviewer seems to think its a jab at Woodward.

I take it as hes speaking collectively from the physios up to the club as a whole. As i said in my first post pogba and lingards extra curricular activities might be a part of what hes hinting at but from the article it felt like hes saying about how the clubs being managed as a whole.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Don't know about that mate. Even the interviewer seems to think its a jab at Woodward.

I take it as hes speaking collectively from the physios up to the club as a whole. As i said in my first post pogba and lingards extra curricular activities might be a part of what hes hinting at but from the article it felt like hes saying about how the clubs being managed as a whole.
No the journalist is fishing after Herrera used the staff as an example and no one mentions Woodward or any executives in either clubs.

His entire point revolves around this sentence in his very first answer about why PSG's season could be different this year:

"Quand j'arrive à l'entrainement, les physios, podologues et préparateurs physique sont déjà au boulot... Football, football, football. Leonardo est là tous les jours."

"When I arrive at the training complex, the physios, podiatrist and trainers are already at work... Football, football, football. Leonardo is there every day."

This is the context of his football remark. What we should ask ourselves is, at United, where are these people when the players arrive?

Last edited:

ReddBalls

Notice Ole has commented on the same thing day after these quotes came out. Damage limitation?
Or just, you know, talking in line with what he is hired for and set out to do at United: To instill discipline and focus. A cultural reboot.

Shiva87

We are 10th. McTominay has played every single game. Our midfield has no creativity nor is it defensively solid. Again, he has played every single game. What does that tell you? He is average.

If he was as great as people are saying, our midfield would be performing far better against the likes of the mighty Bournemouth, Newcastle and West Ham. You cannot blame every other midfielder except for McTominay. He is part of the problem.

I don't give leeway to youth players, though, he is not really a youth player anymore. Getting into a Premier League club should be hard and getting into the Manchester United side should be even more difficult. We have relaxed our standards, which is why McTominay has got into the team. With the wages players get, they should be judged by the standards of their club. McTominay is now a first-team player and should be judged in terms of the standards required of a Manutd first-team midfielder. He is clearly nowhere near those standards.
I guess that's true in your wired brain - but it's not if you drop your bias for a moment. He is definitely getting into our team on merit at the moment.