Ander Herrera: Football not always most important thing at United (Read translation for context)

red thru&thru

I haven't defined business, so I could hardly simplify it. And the examples that Herrera mentioned have nothing to do with business, it has to do with professionalism and the personal ambition of the personnel at an individual level. We may have a problem with that but it has nothing to do with business because these issues are as bad for business as they are for football.
He said football wasn't the most important thing at United. If football isn't the most important thing at United, what else can it be? It would only be the business side of the club. Something which Ed has come out and tried to deny recently. So even Ed is aware of what people think of United and where the clubs hierarchy's priorities lie.

TRUERED89

They are a way better footballing destination than we are right now. You're deluded if you think otherwise.
They're all there for the money, none of them dreamed of playing in the "illustrious" Ligue 1. They're shit in the CL as well, never made it past the quarters as I just said. You think if Qatari's didn't own it any star would remotely consider them without the obscene wages on offer?

romufc

Clearly putting more pressure on Manutd, he knows what the fans think about how Manutd is run.

Secondly, to get PSG fans on their side. You would be surprised how many fans will be saying oh at least we are not like Manutd.

How many of us think that PSG do everything for footballing reasons?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He said football wasn't the most important thing at United. If football isn't the most important thing at United, what else can it be? It would only be the business side of the club. Something which Ed has come out and tried to deny recently. So even Ed is aware of what people think of United and where the clubs hierarchy's priorities lie.
He mentioned the behaviour and professionalism of the medical and training staff, they have nothing to do with business.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
LVG and Mourinho said the same thing. Football comes second to the commercial aspect

littleman

They're all there for the money, none of them dreamed of playing in the illustrious Ligue 1. They're shit in the CL as well, never made it past the quarters as I just said. You think if Qatari's didn't own it any star would remotely consider them without the obscene wages on offer?
And yet nothing you said dents the argument

Now if Herrera said club history is the most important thing in football that's another thing

momo83

Massive Snowflake
He mentioned the behaviour and professionalism of the medical and training staff, they have nothing to do with business.
He’s talking about the culture. One where everyone is focused on football.

And probably also look at our players. Someone like JLingz is more known for instagram videos and trying to be a business man.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
LVG and Mourinho said the same thing. Football comes second to the commercial aspect
When your own CEO says that on pitch success doesn't really matter when it comes to commercial business then it's obvious that football isn't the primary focus.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That is very damning actually. He actually likes Ole, but you wonder if he means they weren't fit enough and if you get injured the treatment given if not of the best quality it should be.

Sterling Archer

Just absolutely crazy. You're absolutely correct though. Some people are now condemning Herrera for leaving. The truth of the matter is, if we were competitive, he wouldn't have wanted to leave.
Didn't we also pull an unsavory move and offer him a paycut to extend and then never renegotiate?

Take a paycut to warm the bench behind teacher's pet Pereira for a midtable club in the Europa League or pay bump for the same role at club challenging for major trophies...can't fault his choice after the disrespectful contract.

TRUERED89

And yet nothing you said dents the argument

Now if Herrera said club history is the most important thing in football that's another thing
As others have pointed out, PSG have plenty interest in commercial aspects too. BS from Herrera he went for his 220k p/w, they offered the most so he was off! Dead league, and dead in the CL

Champagne Football

You can can't on 2 hands the amount of decent games Herrera had in his 5 years at Man Utd. Herrera moving clubs to be a squad player at PSG is the same level of greed as when Oscar did a runner to China for the money, despite being tipped for a huge career.

Scott McTominay is on £60,000 a week and is twice the player Herrera is already. Herrera was in the right place at the right time and got very very lucky that he put in his best ever performance away to PSG while a crowd full of billionaires were watching. PSG are realizing that they are paying an £80,000 midfielder £300,000 a week.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
They're all there for the money, none of them dreamed of playing in the "illustrious" Ligue 1. They're shit in the CL as well, never made it past the quarters as I just said. You think if Qatari's didn't own it any star would remotely consider them without the obscene wages on offer?
Same applies to City... and let’s be honest most players only come to the Premier League because of the money. Lifestyle is much better in Italy, Spain, even France

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It doesn't surprise. By all accounts, Fergie et al had a hard working set up with a great atmosphere. Multiple players have since said that quickly departed after he left, usually pointing towards the Van Gaal era, but Moyes ripping apart the backroom staff can't have helped at all.

Couple that with the more commercial minded CEO and it was a recipe for disaster - a shit, ineffective group of people providing a bit of a shit atmosphere to work in.

TRUERED89

Same applies to City... and let’s be honest most players only come to the Premier League because of the money. Lifestyle is much better in Italy, Spain, even France
Lifestyle is definitely better in those countries, I know PL money is rather good, but PL is no farmers league so they also come for the highly competitive football too. If you make it in PL that's when you get Barca & Madrid hunting you down more often than not..

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You can can't on 2 hands the amount of decent games Herrera had in his 5 years at Man Utd. Herrera moving clubs to be a squad player at PSG is the same level of greed as when Oscar did a runner to China for the money, despite being tipped for a huge career.

Scott McTominay is on £60,000 a week and is twice the player Herrera is already. Herrera was in the right place at the right time and got very very lucky that he put in his best ever performance away to PSG while a crowd full of billionaires were watching. PSG are realizing that they are paying an £80,000 midfielder £300,000 a week.
You are talking rubbish. Herrera was injured in the Liverpool game, so didn't play against PSG, funny our result plummeted once him and a couple of others were out. Your Scott didn't show much then.

red thru&thru

You may have not read the whole interview then. The person asks him a question whether he felt Business was more important than the football and he replied, "That does not come out of my mouth. I don't know, but football was not the most important thing in Manchester."

That alludes to me that he is referring to the business side of things.

JPRouve

Scout
When your own CEO says that on pitch success doesn't really matter when it comes to commercial business then it's obvious that football isn't the primary focus.
He never said that, we have enough reasons to be against Woodward to not make up the same nonsense every other week. He was asked if one season of good result would yield new sponsoring deals and he answered no.

He’s talking about the culture. One where everyone is focused on football.

And probably also look at our players. Someone like JLingz is more known for instagram videos and trying to be a business man.
The culture at the Camp des loges is set by the coaching staff and Leonardo, if we have an issue with players' focus in the locker room then we have to look at the staff, they are the ones setting the tone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
PSG have a bloody store in Tokyo, they're certainly not exactly against commercial ventures. But their on pitch is much better than ours, so you can't knock 'em.
That's pretty much the answer really.

Club does well on the pitch = don't care.

Club fails on pitch = find excuses of why it's happening.

We've failed plenty in the recruitment department and coaching that's for sure.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Lifestyle is definitely better in those countries, I know PL money is rather good, but PL is no farmers league so they also come for the highly competitive football too.
Yes that’s true. But initially it was the money that bought the likes of Juninho, Bergkamp, Ginola, Zola, Asprilla, etc to the EPL and put it on the map and then slowly the Premier League turned into a competitive league over the following decades.

No coincidence that before the Premier League was formed and TV money was not a thing, exotic foreign players all headed to Italy / Spain even during the years when English clubs dominated Europe in the 70s and early 80s

Xaviboy

Maybe that's why Ole is trying to change the culture of the club. Problem is half his squad is made up of overpaid average players who should not be at the club and wouldn't get in at any other big club.

I wouldn't mind half the squad of Ander Herreras. Chap always gave 100% and always played at high tempo with his passes, always one/two touch. Kept us ticking. Could of formed a good partnership with Mctominey this season.

Don't blame him going to PSG with quality footballers around him every day.

red thru&thru

Didn't we also pull an unsavory move and offer him a paycut to extend and then never renegotiate?

Take a paycut to warm the bench behind teacher's pet Pereira for a midtable club in the Europa League or pay bump for the same role at club challenging for major trophies...can't fault his choice after the disrespectful contract.
Fans on here think players should be lucky to play for the club and stay and be paid peanuts!

tomaldinho1

He even name drops Leonardo to make it clear what he's speaking about.

Aside from us being a massive club, there's no comparison anyway. PSG is stocked with genuinely elite players across all positions, have an exciting and highly rated manager & they have a dedicated Sporting Director. I wouldn't be surprised if their club is run better from every possible perspective. Experience wise, coming into training every day, he's gone from being one of our best midfielders, competing with the likes of old Matic, McT, Fred, Pereira, Lingard, Pogba etc to Veratti, Gueye, Di Maria, Draxler, Paredes... it's another level entirely.

Jibbs

I think he was talking about players in completely focused, staff not committed enough and management who have commercial aspirations more than footballing ones.

red thru&thru

Maybe that's why Ole is trying to change the culture of the club. Problem is half his squad is made up of overpaid average players who should not be at the club and wouldn't get in at any other big club.

I wouldn't mind half the squad of Ander Herreras. Chap always gave 100% and always played at high tempo with his passes, always one/two touch. Kept us ticking. Could of formed a good partnership with Mctominey this season.

Don't blame him going to PSG with quality footballers around him every day.
You say this but Herrera, Lukaku, Sanchez and Smalling have gone to big clubs and done very well.

432JuanMata

Fans on here think players should be lucky to play for the club and stay and be paid peanuts!
It’s mad isn’t it. Sure people talking about money we overpay nearly everyone. But no he should of took a pay cut while watching Lingard get 120k a week for being shit

432JuanMata

I think he was talking about players in completely focused, staff not committed enough and management who have commercial aspirations more than footballing ones.
Club is rotten all the way from the top to the bottom

red thru&thru

I think he is talking about the whole club. But the culture of the club stems from the top.

Shark

@NotShark
Are there posters actually delusional enough to get pissed off at Herrera? Look at where we are, say what we you want but there’s no denying the clubs in a total mess from the manager, his couching staff and our board. It all needs ripping out and replacing.

TRUERED89

Yes that’s true. But initially it was the money that bought the likes of Juninho, Bergkamp, Ginola, Zola, Asprilla, etc to the EPL and put it on the map and then slowly the Premier League turned into a competitive league over the following decades.

No coincidence that before the Premier League was formed and TV money was not a thing, exotic foreign players all headed to Italy / Spain even during the years when English clubs dominated Europe in the 70s and early 80s
Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea were relatively average and didn't have that much money back then (Living in London may have been a pull), I think it's a mix between competitiveness and money I suppose.

Last edited:

snowkarl

:rolleyes:

Seriously?

Top tier coping right here.

Herrera is obviously 100% correct, which is why the Glazers have taken out billions from the club and both Mourinho and Jose echoed the sentiment as well as what we see from behind the scenes - Pogboom, Jlingz et al treating their careers like summer camp for 12 year olds, dancing about and dabbing into 14th place. No need to hit out at him for telling the truth.

Instead we should take what he says seriously and demand change, because as long as we don't, things are only going to get worse.

Although I don't understand how the training and medical staff have allowed to become this complacent and incompetent? Surely we should have the best coaching staff in the world considering the wages we pay?

JPRouve

Scout
You may have not read the whole interview then. The person asks him a question whether he felt Business was more important than the football and he replied, "That does not come out of my mouth. I don't know, but football was not the most important thing in Manchester."

That alludes to me that he is referring to the business side of things.
I saw that part and that part is bs cliché that I mentioned and it comes from the journalist. Herrera makes the focus remark before the mention of business and in his answer he says that everything at PSG is about football, he uses the staff as an example saying that they are already at work when he arrives and also that Leonardo is there everyday. Then the journalist ask if it was different at United, he says that he sometimes felt that football wasn't always the focus, the journalist asks if it was on business, he says that it's not his words and that he doesn't know but that he felt that football wasn't always the most important thing and that now he was breathing football.

You may think that this part is insignificant but the example that he used wasn't about business, it was about professionalism and dedication from the staff. Funnily enough Matuidi made the same type of remark when he joined Juventus from PSG.