Ander Herrera: Football not always most important thing at United (Read translation for context)

Abizzz

I like Ander as much as the next caftard but I really hate it when someone says something possibly outrageous in an ambiguous fashion only to refuse to clarify it.

Denis79

Laughable. You complain about commercials but then join PSG and say for footballing reasons.

Enjoy your money Ander. We still love you.
As much as I hate theese type of clubs, PSG are after glory more than us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If my quote was so inaccurate, why is Ed still in a job? The Glazer's know that he is the man the will make them the money they want. They have paid the top dollar for players like Pogba for his image and someone like DDG, because the club knows the fans would go crazy and the value of the club would plummet even further. We have too many people from within the club who have come out and say that United isn't about just the football and Ed has come out to try and even deny this. There is obviously truth to it and most fans can see that this is the truth too.
Incompetency from the owners, it's in my post. Woodward doesn't bring a special amount of money, the club isn't effective in his spendings and money men are one of the most common commodity in the business world, nothing makes Woodward indispensable or special.

SungSam7

You're not a European powerhouse until you do something of note in Europe. 2016 was the last time they made it past the last 16.

Their numerous humiliations in the CL don't help their case either.
By that logic, Aston Villa would be a European powerhouse and yet PSG are irrelevant since they haven't done really anything in Europe.

It goes without saying, PSG will get that CL sooner rather than later and United could go 2 decades in our current state before we taste the success of winning. His decision wasn't solely based on money! It wasn't like he was treated fairly at United either, he was basically a bench warmer for longer than he should have been.

red thru&thru

Incompetency from the owners, it's in my post. Woodward doesn't bring a special amount of money, the club isn't effective in his spendings and money men are one of the most common commodity in the business world, nothing makes Woodward indispensable or special.
Incompetency as us fans know it but not to the Glazer's. He's clearly doing a good job for them hence the bonuses he receives and the wage increase. He's doing a good business job for the Glazer's and a bad football job for the fans. Like Ander said, football isn't always the priority at Manchester United.

JPRouve

Scout
By that logic, Aston Villa would be a European powerhouse and yet PSG are irrelevant since they haven't done really anything in Europe.

It goes without saying, PSG will get that CL sooner rather than later and United could go 2 decades in our current state before we taste the success of winning. His decision wasn't solely based on money! It wasn't like he was treated fairly at United either, he was basically a bench warmer for longer than he should have been.
PSG aren't a powerhouse but they don't a fair bit in Europe, in the 90s they were consistently present in the last stages of European football.

JPRouve

Scout
Incompetency as us fans know it but not to the Glazer's. He's clearly doing a good job for them hence the bonuses he receives and the wage increase. He's doing a good business job for the Glazer's and a bad football job for the fans. Like Ander said, football isn't always the priority at Manchester United.
Are you actually reading my posts, the Glazers are the ones being incompetent, he doesn't bring that much money relative to the club earnings and the club spendings are extremely inefficient which if it was the focus of the owners would see him sacked but I suspect that they have a relationship that goes beyond employer/employee which would explain why they are willing to let millions slip through their fingers. And the overall worth of the club is also more important than profit if they intend to sell at some point but the bad contracts that they are giving and the bloated wage bill are a bad thing too, so the management of the club still doesn't match with owners trying to sell. Incredible incompetence and nepotism would explain everything though.

fergosaurus

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

PSG are not currently a powerhouse and have never been throughout the history of football.

It sounds like you'd be delighted if they do. I can't see it myself in the near future but who knows? I think it will be difficult for them no matter how many star players they have because of the lack of competitiveness of their league. It's hard to half-ass games in the league and then be sharp enough with the required mental strength to battle through two legged CL knockout ties.

I also don't think Neymar and Mbappe will stay beyond their contracts in 2022.

red thru&thru

Are you actually reading my posts, the Glazers are the ones being incompetent, he doesn't bring that much money relative to the club earnings and the club spendings are extremely inefficient which if it was the focus of the owners would see him sacked but I suspect that they have a relationship that goes beyond employer/employee which would explain why they are willing to let millions slip through their fingers. And the overall worth of the club is also more important than profit if they intend to sell at some point but the bad contracts that they are giving and the bloated wage bill are a bad thing too, so the management of the club still doesn't match with owners trying to sell. Incredible incompetence and nepotism would explain everything though.
So you suggesting the Glazer's are letting millions slip because of their relationship with Ed? Ed is a failure and so are the Glazer's.

This whole thread is about how a former player says that football isn't the main thing at United. Lvg has said it and Mourinho has alluded to it too. If this club had any ambition or any serious desire to win things, they wouldn't have done such a hapless job. Football isn't the priority at United, money is. If winning was their priority, they would have given Mourinho to go and spend when we finished second. Instead, they pull the rug from under his feet.

JPRouve

Scout
So you suggesting the Glazer's are letting millions slip because of their relationship with Ed? Ed is a failure and so are the Glazer's.

This whole thread is about how a former player says that football isn't the main thing at United. Lvg has said it and Mourinho has alluded to it too. If this club had any ambition or any serious desire to win things, they wouldn't have done such a hapless job. Football isn't the priority at United, money is. If winning was their priority, they would have given Mourinho to go and spend when we finished second. Instead, they pull the rug from under his feet.
If money was the priority they wouldn't have sacked Mourinho, his sacking costed the club a fortune and was premature from a money standpoint. If it was about money Mourinho would still be the manager today or he would have resigned at some point during the season. And the club increased the wage bill by a 100m under Mourinho on top of the transfer fee paid, that's a bit weird for people that don't spend.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I like Ander as much as the next caftard but I really hate it when someone says something possibly outrageous in an ambiguous fashion only to refuse to clarify it.
Neither outrageous nor ambiguous. Every man and his dog know where Manchester United priorities lie.

Abizzz

Neither outrageous nor ambiguous. Every man and his dog know where Manchester United priorities lie.
Of course it is. Why else would the reporter being told ask him to clarify :lol:?

It being run for money wouldn't be outrageous. Him coming out and saying his ex teammates were only in it to grow their own brands would be.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Of course it is. Why else would the reporter being told ask him to clarify :lol:?

It being run for money wouldn't be outrageous. Him coming out and saying his ex teammates were only in it to grow their own brands would be.
United are one of a handful of clubs that can afford to be very profitable and very successful at the same time. The fact that were allowed to slide into mediocrity like this is almost criminal negligence.

That some players have side gigs is nothing new. But it shouldn't be allowed to affect the football. When we cared about results a star like Beckham could get kicked out when it affected his output . Not a feck was given to his commercial value.

Edit: to clarify, I get your point. He talked about the club, nothing to suggest he wss talking specifically about the players.

Last edited:

slir32

Considering he's going to win trophies, play for a top football team and some of the worlds best players. He's doing much better over there footballing wise than waiting here for a rebuild that will never happen under the current structure.
Winning the french domestic league is not what top footballers dream of.

ROFLUTION

If you watch their youth setup, it looks like molding the future stars. I hate their history, but can understand that its a very professional run club - from handball to youth, its just top professional. At United - what is even the plan at any level? Not even any transparency of openly set goals to be held accountable about. He's basically just talking sense, but refusing to go in hard on a club he likes/loves.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is why Mr Klopp is not our manager my friends.
Klopp's not our manager not just because of Ed, but also the fan base & the pressure of the club.

Klopp went for the Underdogs where the expectations were low, the pressure was low and where he could build or actually more accurately - rebuild a strong fan base.

Liverpool are much like Dortmund in that way than say Bayern Munich where Klopp would be feeling pressure from day one and feeling his job was exactly that - a job. Dortmund's stadium is fantastic & have a strong supportive fan base. As much as I don't like Liverpool, they are the Dortmund of England- & I feel Old Trafford & its fans can feel sometimes like a tourist attraction rather than any scary stadium to play football at.

Pre-Mourinho, the United fans had too high expectations of our capability as a team & Klopp would have turned us down for this because he would have felt the pressure of needing to perform from the off than build a team in 2-3 years. Moyes or LVG were supposed to target titles & if they failed then settle for a top 4 - all the whilst no one recognised that SAF left a poor squad with no transition. Only once the 'guaranteed winner' Jose turned up & also failed have the fan base really understood the full state of the position of the club & has stopped over valuing & having too high expectations for the club that put too high pressure on a manager.

I don't believe that Klopp would have come here even if we weren't Disney Land in his eyes- we ultimately tried to go for him at a time when our fan base and our club acted like we were the Bayern Munich of England rather than the sleeping Underdog like Dortmund or Liverpool that needed to be reawakened with minimal pressures of a overly valued club.

Reactions: VeevaVee

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Kind of agree. Ander has every right to say the truth, and shouldn't be slated like some have done in here, but have the bollocks to say it if you want to say it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No it's not an odd post. Its 100% on the money. People here thinking PSG is a better destination than utd should do one, they are a plastic club formed about 40 years ago, full of mercenaries like ander(they were the highest bidders for his services) they play in a shit league where there is no competition and are run my an oil state. PSG me arse
Wrong. Of course the premier league is better. Or course Manchester United is one of the greatest footballs clubs to exist. And PSG is not.

However let's not be obtuse here and pretend that they aren't a terrific football team that are challengers for the CL (at least among the 8 contenders). And let's not pretend we aren't absolutely terrible right now for a top team. So there's more reasons to go to psg than just money. You get to play in a good league (it is) in a top team that competes for the biggest prizes. Also ADM to United was as much a mercenary move as anything.

Naturally I would never advocate a move to PSG for a top player nor would i pick that league if I was a player myself. For eg I think Mbappe is wasting his time there. However Ander isn't of that level and doeant have his pick of clubs the way Mbappe does. And there are plenty of benefits for him other than money at PsG over United.

Imlegend

I believe he was just speaking the truth while trying to emphasize that we are still a massive club. I also think with Ole at the helm and instilling back the Fergie way we will get back to our roots.

red thru&thru

If money was the priority they wouldn't have sacked Mourinho, his sacking costed the club a fortune and was premature from a money standpoint. If it was about money Mourinho would still be the manager today or he would have resigned at some point during the season. And the club increased the wage bill by a 100m under Mourinho on top of the transfer fee paid, that's a bit weird for people that don't spend.
The value of the club was plummeting under Jose, investors would have rightly been worried. If it was about the money, why did they go and hire Ole, for relative peanuts? The little bit of money the Glazer's do invest is all about keeping the club valuable somewhat. If it wasn't about the money and about winning, why was the squad left so bare? They should have invested more instead of trying to reduce the wage bill this season. Why aren't they investing in OT? The stadium is so outdated and being left behind others.

In an article Jose also bemoaned how facilities weren't even allowed to stay open as it would cost money. From memory, he also had a dig when he was going into a press conference about there being no water and how we were saving for the January window?! Can't remember the exact details but it was something along those lines.

With the above said, you just don't know what else is going on behind the scenes. Too many people who have been involved with the club are saying the same thing. You can't keep ignoring this. Our club is not set up to win trophies. The Glazer's wanted to use the Arsenal model under Wenger, to keep reaching the CL each year and spend little as possible. But under Ed, they've not been able to achieve this hence they tried to throw money at it, when that didn't work, they've now reverted to net spend as little as possible and reduce the wage bill.

POF

To me it seems pretty clear what he's insinuating. He won player of the season and regularly played his way into the team when the club tried to upgrade on him but still didn't get offered a new contract until he'd received, and agreed to, a very good offer from PSG.

"Leonardo is there every day" is telling. Those making decisions on squad recruitment and retention at United (whoever they are) clearly are not.

Jidaraku

I don't read too much into what he said.
He just slamed the players who enjoy Uno in the bus.

I remember he posted twitter or instagram that he was showing frustration toward them.

Last edited by a moderator:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Says the guy wanting £350k a week to stay with us.
He's saying what anyone linked with United says (former players, former managers etc). If he said the sky is blue should we criticise him on that too?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
To be fair, he was an employee for Manchester United. His opinions are much more relevant than the ones critiquing it - us fans.
I’m not criticising him, merely pointing out that he’s probably not the most qualified to talk about a winning mentality and focusing on football first and foremost.

End of the day, he was credited as being a senior player with influence and sway amongst the squad, so perhaps he could have done a bit more about trying to shift the culture.

Truth be told, he was a symbol of everything that has been wrong with United – talks a good game, overrated, failed to deliver consistently.

He can talk all he wants about PSG being a more professional outfit but it amounts to bugger all – they’ve achieved nothing since being financially doped. Winning a few French domestic pots doesn’t push the dial for me.

Herrera is a nothing footnote in the club’s history whose reputation is vastly overstated.

el3mel

I’m not criticising him, merely pointing out that he’s probably not the most qualified to talk about a winning mentality and focusing on football first and foremost.

End of the day, he was credited as being a senior player with influence and sway amongst the squad, so perhaps he could have done a bit more about trying to shift the culture.

Truth be told, he was a symbol of everything that has been wrong with United – talks a good game, overrated, failed to deliver consistently.

He can talk all he wants about PSG being a more professional outfit but it amounts to bugger all – they’ve achieved nothing since being financially doped. Winning a few French domestic pots doesn’t push the dial for me.

Herrera is a nothing footnote in the club’s history whose reputation is vastly overstated.
Wrong on almost every basis.

He was in fact one of the only good things in the club post Fergie. Excellent mentality and intensity on the pitch, a pure footballer and always gives his all. Improved our midfield every time he stepped on the pitch.

The likes of Lingard are what's everything wrong about United.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
The value of the club was plummeting under Jose, investors would have rightly been worried. If it was about the money, why did they go and hire Ole, for relative peanuts? The little bit of money the Glazer's do invest is all about keeping the club valuable somewhat. If it wasn't about the money and about winning, why was the squad left so bare? They should have invested more instead of trying to reduce the wage bill this season. Why aren't they investing in OT? The stadium is so outdated and being left behind others.
If the rumours are correct Ole earns around what Klopp and Pochettino earn(which is more than what Tuchel earns) and that's on top of the severance package that the club gave to Mourinho and his staff, none of that is peanuts. The club invest +95% of its revenue into the club, that's currently around 600m it's a bit more than "a bit of money", the wage bill was at 330m at the end of last season it would be criminal to not reduce it and it's the very reason why we can't invest more, the money went into the playing staff and the ex managers banks accounts.

Abizzz

If the rumours are correct Ole earns around what Klopp and Pochettino earn and that's on top of the severance package that the club gave to Mourinho and his staff, none of that is peanuts. The club invest +95% of its revenue into the club, that's currently around 600m it's a bit more than "a bit of money", the wage bill was at 330m at the end of last season it would be criminal to not reduce it and it's the very reason why we can't invest more, the money went into the playing staff and the ex managers banks accounts.
If Ole is earning what Klopp and Poch are earning Woodward should just resign and Ole be made the money man for the Glazers.

Where else would Ole even be earning 1/5 of what those two are earning?

Agree with the sentiment of your statement though. The pounds invested aren't the problem, it's the investments that is.

JPRouve

Scout
If Ole is earning what Klopp and Poch are earning Woodward should just resign and Ole be made the money man for the Glazers.

Where else would Ole even be earning 1/5 of what those to are earning if he wasn't at United?
That's basically what I told him, there is no way to explain our spendings outside of incompetence and it's absolutely not the type of spendings that someone caring about profit would have but some live in their own fantasy. And unless they signed new contracts, Klopp is rumoured to earn 7m£, Pochettino 8.5m£, Ole 7m£ and with his new contract Tuchel is supposed to earn 7.5m€(previous contract was 5m€). Ole isn't exactly a cheap manager.

Abizzz

That's basically what I told him, there is no way to explain our spendings outside of incompetence and it's absolutely not the type of spendings that someone caring about profit would have but some live in their own fantasy. And unless they signed new contracts, Klopp is rumoured to earn 7m£, Pochettino 8.5m£, Ole 7m£ and with his new contract Tuchel is supposed to earn 7.5m€(previous contract was 5m€). Ole isn't exactly a cheap manager.
Somehow feels even worse to suffer from incompetence than from greed :/. Ole should be a cheap manager and I'd love to know how much he earned at Molde. Given he gave that job up to come to United a large mark up would be expected, but 7m? Don't think it's a stretch to assume he wasn't at a 1/10th of that at Molde.

JPRouve

Scout
Somehow feels even worse to suffer from incompetence than from greed :/. Ole should be a cheap manager and I'd love to know how much he earned at Molde. Given he gave that job up to come to United a large mark up would be expected, but 7m? Don't think it's a stretch to assume he wasn't at a 1/10th of that at Molde.
In my opinion it is worse and it baffles me that people play the greed card instead. On what type of world a club with a 600m budget isn't spending or willing to spend, the reason our team is bare bone is because we somehow managed to overpay for almost every single things that we paid, that takes some doing and little care for money.