Ander Herrera - PSG player

Irwin99

So we offered him a pay cut instead of a better contract and left it until the last second???? How reliable is Castles? He says the following:

“I think a key individual here is Ander Herrera, who has now left under freedom of contract. He was in a similar situation to De Gea in that he was asking for a new deal,” Castles told The Transfer Window podcast.

“I can tell you from more than one source, my information is that Herrera was actually proposed a pay cut by Manchester United to stay at the club – contrary to what you’ll have seen elsewhere, that he was demanding a massive increase to stay at the club.

“What actually happened, I’m reliably told, is they offered him a pay cut. He felt they disrespected him and then entered into negotiations with other clubs, including Paris St-Germain, he agreed a contract with Paris St-Germain and left.

“It has been noted amongst Manchester United’s playing group that players like Chris Smalling or Phil Jones, English players, have been given pay rises and substantial long-term deals to stay at the club.”

Robertd0803

Couldnt care less what he does at PSG. Lost all interest the minute he left.

Robertd0803

Our players get a bigger fan club when they leave for some reason. Schweinsteiger still gets a regular love in and to this day I do not understand why.
Same here but is it because a lot of fans thought he was treated harshly while he was here and maybe that added some goodwill.

izec

Our players get a bigger fan club when they leave for some reason. Schweinsteiger still gets a regular love in and to this day I do not understand why.
Because he is a football legend. People respect that. Just like Zlatan. They may not be United legends and some do love football and other non United players in general.

Irwin99

He’s one of the few players that actually seemed to care when playing and if you read the quotes I posted above and if they turn out to be true then I’d feel he has every right to feel unappreciated while Jones, Smalling and Young etc. get contract extensions.

It’s the same with Blind and Tony Valencia. They were actually decent players for us and good professionals. There’s Genuinely been very few likeable players we’ve had over the last few years, so I wish these guys good luck.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
But but no, he was a money grabbing mercenary. The cafe told me so!

criticalanalysis

I think Tuchel will find him a very useful player and it wouldn't be surprising to see him starting a lot of games.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I think Tuchel will find him a very useful player and it wouldn't be surprising to see him starting a lot of games.
Of course he will. Herrera is criminally underrated by the general Utd fan.

Losing someone like him was the last thing we needed in such a delicate rebuilding job as ours.

His tactical awareness & mentality will see him provide a lot of value for PSG, as he did for us whenever he played.

minh_loc_xoay

Losing someone like him was the last thing we needed in such a delicate rebuilding job as ours.

His tactical awareness & mentality will see him provide a lot of value for PSG, as he did for us whenever he played.
Look forward to seeing him earn a MOTM for PSG in the next Champions League final. The CAF would go into absolute meltdown. :D

Ban

So we offered him a pay cut instead of a better contract and left it until the last second???? How reliable is Castles? He says the following:

“I think a key individual here is Ander Herrera, who has now left under freedom of contract. He was in a similar situation to De Gea in that he was asking for a new deal,” Castles told The Transfer Window podcast.

“I can tell you from more than one source, my information is that Herrera was actually proposed a pay cut by Manchester United to stay at the club – contrary to what you’ll have seen elsewhere, that he was demanding a massive increase to stay at the club.

“What actually happened, I’m reliably told, is they offered him a pay cut. He felt they disrespected him and then entered into negotiations with other clubs, including Paris St-Germain, he agreed a contract with Paris St-Germain and left.

“It has been noted amongst Manchester United’s playing group that players like Chris Smalling or Phil Jones, English players, have been given pay rises and substantial long-term deals to stay at the club.”
If that's true.. The state of this club.. Renewing with dross and offering Herrera a pay cut. Absolutely baffling.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sounds very unlikely.

He was on fairly modest money (long contract) if memory serves. If United offered him less than what he was on (which was, what, 70-80k per week?), that would only make sense as a deliberate provocation.

Ole90+3

Sounds very unlikely.

He was on fairly modest money (long contract) if memory serves. If United offered him less than what he was on (which was, what, 70-80k per week?), that would only make sense as a deliberate provocation.
Agree, especially considering we offered, what has been rumoured to be, a very healthy contract extension to his little compadre.

SirAF

Ageist
When the club triggered his +1 extension last year he was not told. He just received a letter informing him five days before the option expired.

According to the Scandi supporter’s club who’s got a couple of decent sources at the club.

Witchking

We do not deserve good players like Herrera. The fans who bad mouth him are spoilt. Simple. No player should have to play under such petty management just to please some idiotic fans and to prove their love for the club.

I hope he enjoys his football. He has been an excellent player for the club.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

It has been noted amongst Manchester United’s playing group that players like Chris Smalling or Phil Jones, English players, have been given pay rises and substantial long-term deals to stay at the club.”
Pathetic if true. But then again I'm not even surprised

Keefy18

This is Hernandez all over again, the love in with this lad is mind boggling! Lord help us all if / when he scores for PSG this season!

He's an average player at best and LVG nor Jose saw him as a regular and undoubted first team player with LVG favoring him only every other game and Jose speaking far more fondly of Fellaini and often starting to favor McTominay over him as well.

Sterling Archer

Pathetic if true. But then again I'm not even surprised
He's come out and very respectfully just stated that United didn't move fast enough. That the contract, whether pay cut or not came late.

I swear all of this is so so telling. We are run by people not fit to do so.

Eric's Seagull

If this is true makes me dislike Woofy and those Glazer feckers even more than I already do :mad:

SambaBoy

It's a bit frustrating to lose a player on a free if the circumstances are true. Many of these midfield players we have been linked with are not an upgrade on Herrera who offered good balance to the team, worked hard and understood the club.

We don't have the luxury to go out and replace him as we have massive holes elsewhere in the squad and the budget will be dented by replacing a good enough player we let leave on a free.

Irwin99

If this is true makes me dislike Woofy and those Glazer feckers even more than I already do :mad:
Yes it is shocking, I had to laugh at the last lines though; “It has been noted amongst Manchester United’s playing group that players like Chris Smalling or Phil Jones, English players, have been given pay rises and substantial long-term deals to stay at the club.”. It'd be funny if even their teammates keep wondering how some of these guys survive.

Eric's Seagull

Yes it is shocking, I had to laugh at the last lines though; “It has been noted amongst Manchester United’s playing group that players like Chris Smalling or Phil Jones, English players, have been given pay rises and substantial long-term deals to stay at the club.”. It'd be funny if even their teammates keep wondering how some of these guys survive.
Agreee on that I think it was shambolic that they got new contracts and Herrera's was allowed to run down, my mate who is a City fan takes the p!ss out of me regularly by us giving Smalling and Jones those contracts, when I and probably a few others on here feel they shouldn't have got them, especially the length of the deals and that they should have been sold. I think if someone is at United for over 10 years which they will be at the end of the end of those contracts, that they must done something decent to deserve it which in my opinion they haven't.

Eric's Seagull

Bench at best with PsG. Sold in a couple of seasons. Not even a NT player. Glad we got rid. Feck him. Twat.
100% respect your opinion but totally disagree with it. Ander always gave 100% for the cause, never moaned and genuinely seemed as it if he wanted to be here which is more than some players still here.

When the club triggered his +1 extension last year he was not told. He just received a letter informing him five days before the option expired.

According to the Scandi supporter’s club who’s got a couple of decent sources at the club.
If this is true which I think it could well be is totally disrespectful and shame on the feckers.

We do not deserve good players like Herrera. The fans who bad mouth him are spoilt. Simple. No player should have to play under such petty management just to please some idiotic fans and to prove their love for the club.

I hope he enjoys his football. He has been an excellent player for the club.
Good post totally agree with it.

Agree with you. I think it was naivety or even maybe stupidity by the club doing this in the middle of a rebuilding process.

It's a bit frustrating to lose a player on a free if the circumstances are true. Many of these midfield players we have been linked with are not an upgrade on Herrera who offered good balance to the team, worked hard and understood the club.

We don't have the luxury to go out and replace him as we have massive holes elsewhere in the squad and the budget will be dented by replacing a good enough player we let leave on a free.
Agree with this. Left us with another hole to fill when we supposedly have a tight budget as it is which means that we are going to have to neglect one arera of the squad to cover it. should they decide to get a replacement but i have a feeling that that they think we have enough quality in that area to let hi go which is a shame.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I can't believe this paycut thing to be true. It would mean we are run by amateurs :wenger:
Maybe they were intending to never renew him and just took the piss out.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Free contract, and it will probably cost 80 million to replace him.???
I remember thinking how ridiculous it was of Arsenal to let Ramsey go on a free meanwhile we were doing something just as astonishing. The two former titans are now competing in a race to the bottom.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is Hernandez all over again, the love in with this lad is mind boggling! Lord help us all if / when he scores for PSG this season!

He's an average player at best and LVG nor Jose saw him as a regular and undoubted first team player with LVG favoring him only every other game and Jose speaking far more fondly of Fellaini and often starting to favor McTominay over him as well.
I’m with you on this one. At his best Hererra was a good, solid player. He wasn’t often at his best though, hence got benched for long periods by every manager we’ve had. Selection decisions aside, anyone who paid attention could see how often he had a bad game. And when he’s bad he’s terrible. Mislaid, overly conservative passes and panicked hoofs out of defence.

Now he’s at PSG this thread will get bumped every time he does something good and he’ll be a highlight reel player. Nobody will ever sit through 90 minutes of his mediocre performances again but every moment of quality will be shared to death by his loyal fans. So this thread will be fecking unbearable.

Keefy18

I’m with you on this one. At his best Hererra was a good, solid player. He wasn’t often at his best though, hence got benched for long periods by every manager we’ve had. Selection decisions aside, anyone who paid attention could see how often he had a bad game. And when he’s bad he’s terrible. Mislaid, overly conservative passes and panicked hoofs out of defence.

Now he’s at PSG this thread will get bumped every time he does something good and he’ll be a highlight reel player. Nobody will ever sit through 90 minutes of his mediocre performances again but every moment of quality will be shared to death by his loyal fans. So this thread will be fecking unbearable.
1000% this.

Good squad option to have and it goes to show how far our expectations have fallen that a large portion of our supporters praise him like he was the 2nd coming of Keane! I'd put him in around the same level of a Fletcher really, nothing overly spectacular. Tidy player who had his moments that will stay with us.

If I'm honest the main thing I always remember about him was marking Hazard out of games with ease, he had his number every game. That aside I really don't get the fuss some folks are making.

I think many are far too easily led with his quotes about apparently loving the club.