Ander Herrera - PSG player

cecilnorris1988

This is Hernandez all over again, the love in with this lad is mind boggling! Lord help us all if / when he scores for PSG this season!

He's an average player at best and LVG nor Jose saw him as a regular and undoubted first team player with LVG favoring him only every other game and Jose speaking far more fondly of Fellaini and often starting to favor McTominay over him as well.
Completely agree. Great mentality and work ethic, sure. However, he was the dog chasing the ball that needed to collect it and give it back to his owner; a technically gifted player. Alas, he hasn't had the technically gifted players around him for him to excel. 2 caps for Spain also speaks volumes.

flappyjay

So we offered him a pay cut instead of a better contract and left it until the last second???? How reliable is Castles? He says the following:

“I think a key individual here is Ander Herrera, who has now left under freedom of contract. He was in a similar situation to De Gea in that he was asking for a new deal,” Castles told The Transfer Window podcast.

“I can tell you from more than one source, my information is that Herrera was actually proposed a pay cut by Manchester United to stay at the club – contrary to what you’ll have seen elsewhere, that he was demanding a massive increase to stay at the club.

“What actually happened, I’m reliably told, is they offered him a pay cut. He felt they disrespected him and then entered into negotiations with other clubs, including Paris St-Germain, he agreed a contract with Paris St-Germain and left.

“It has been noted amongst Manchester United’s playing group that players like Chris Smalling or Phil Jones, English players, have been given pay rises and substantial long-term deals to stay at the club.”
Are we really to believe that Herrera was offered a wage cut. From around 80k to what exactly? This situation has not been handled well but some parts of it are just extra spice by the media.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Are we really to believe that Herrera was offered a wage cut. From around 80k to what exactly? This situation has not been handled well but some parts of it are just extra spice by the media.
This story has done the rounds a few times. The gist of it from one YT video I have seen was that when Ole came in, he was shocked to see the state of contract negotiations. Smalling, Jones, and Young were all pretty much done deals. Ole immediately told the club that we were offering more in basic and less in performance-related bonuses yet The Blue half of Mcr load it more with performance, league finish, cups, and European success related bonuses. Create a culture that rewards progression. Basically, we were paying through the nose for mediocrity which I think we can all see has been plaguing the club for a number of years

The rub is that a number of contracts that were on the table to the likes of DDG, Pogba, etc were being renegotiated took off the table and then put back on with a different structure. Their position was, hang on if Smalling and Jones can get £150k a week, Sanchez can get £350k a week for being bang average then surely Me as the guy setting up all the goals (Pogba) or keeping the ball out of the back of the net (DDG) then surely I am worth £400k ?

So there may be some truth, albeit half-truth from Castles. We probably did offer £80k / £60k per week but what he as failed to say is that we offered a lot more in performance-related pay.

Injured

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

@AnderHerrera
injured his left calf this morning at the end of training. The balance sheets were made in the afternoon. He will resume training with the group in 3 to 4 weeks depending on the evolution.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So how has he looked? See he has started their last four games.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
So how has he looked? See he has started their last four games.
I watched their game last night and didn't realise he was playing until the second half. That's not to say he was bad, it's just Marseille offered nothing so he didn't really have a chance to show his qualities. Verratti on the other hand was outstanding.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He plays it simple, I'd say he's done well. I wouldn't say they're in love with him just yet but they're happy so far
I watched their game last night and didn't realise he was playing until the second half. That's not to say he was bad, it's just Marseille offered nothing so he didn't really have a chance to show his qualities. Verratti on the other hand was outstanding.
Thanks for that. Will try to catch their next game. Maybe Ander's presence is helpful to liberate Verratti.

saivet

Saw a tweet saying he is starting for PSG today...at right back. Looking at the team it looks like they are heavily rotating with the CL midweek.

Seems fair to say he hasn't exactly impressed, which doesn't really surprise me.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Saw a tweet saying he is starting for PSG today...at right back. Looking at the team it looks like they are heavily rotating with the CL midweek.

Seems fair to say he hasn't exactly impressed, which doesn't really surprise me.
They were 3-0 down, but Ander pulled a goal back just before half-time. Also he has spent most of the season with a number of injuries. Played in the cup midweek as well.

crossy1686

career ending

Remember when people said we should renew his contract at £200k a week...

Stadjer

Remember when people said we should renew his contract at £200k a week...
If Woodward did give him a 200k contract those same people would complain about how limited players earn 200k a week and we will never be able to sell them.

Herrera was alright and an ideal player for a lot of supporters. He said the right things in the media, he runs a lot and just has the whole "earn the badge and play fort the shirt" thing going on.

All the while Herrera was and still is a pretty limited player. Nice player to have in the squad for not too much money but not a star. McT already made me forget about Herrera... easily replaced him and isnt on a fat contract.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If Woodward did give him a 200k contract those same people would complain about how limited players earn 200k a week and we will never be able to sell them.

Herrera was alright and an ideal player for a lot of supporters. He said the right things in the media, he runs a lot and just has the whole "earn the badge and play fort the shirt" thing going on.

All the while Herrera was and still is a pretty limited player. Nice player to have in the squad for not too much money but not a star. McT already made me forget about Herrera... easily replaced him and isnt on a fat contract.
I know some people disagree & still consider him average but Fred absolutely sh*ts on Herrera aswell.

-Supreme-

Good summary of Herrera and couldn't agree more.

He was looking for more than 200k since he's on around 300k at PSG, we have dodged a bullet here big time...imagine having another player close to 30 on this salary but still not being good enough for the first team

mu4c_20le

I’d have Herrera over Fred any day of the week.
I would only have him over on weekends. I would prefer our destroyer not be easily lifted up by opponents like a schoolboy. Also he was invisible and ineffective far too often, if played like he did against Chelsea week in week out then we probably would've done more to keep him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I would only have him over on weekends. I would prefer our destroyer not be easily lifted up by opponents like a schoolboy. Also he was invisible and ineffective far too often, if played like he did against Chelsea week in week out then we probably would've done more to keep him.
This.

His games against Hazard is an 8 out of 10. Against everyone else nearly is an average 6 out of 10.

Fred & Mctomminay is more consistent no matter who they play against - with a performance of 7 out of 10 no matter who they face.

Even if they don't get an 8 out of performance like Herrera did against Hazard every half a season - I'd much prefer Fred & Mctomminay's ability to be useful and consistent across the spread of the full season.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Good summary of Herrera and couldn't agree more.

He was looking for more than 200k since he's on around 300k at PSG, we have dodged a bullet here big time...imagine having another player close to 30 on this salary but still not being good enough for the first team
He's not anywhere near 300k, he's closer closer to 100k actually.

fps

Yep second this. We’ve not missed Herrera for a second since he left and we’ve been without a midfield for most of the season. That’s how little of an effect he had on the team.
He was properly mediocre.

-Supreme-

He's not anywhere near 300k, he's closer closer to 100k actually.
I'd very much doubt he's on 100k at PSG when he was on similar to that at United since 2014

All the reports I read were between 250-350k

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Shockingly, he made a terrible right back against Amiens.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'd very much doubt he's on 100k at PSG when he was on similar to that at United since 2014

All the reports I read were between 250-350k
That's what happens when you only read The Sun.