Ander Herrera - PSG player

arthurka

It could have gone either way to be fair. Fred wasn't doing anything at the start of the season. But now Herrera is yesterday's news.

Classical Mechanic

Most chances created for Manchester United this season was the stat on commentary today.

Not sure I can trust that by the way, but I disagree, Fred is a very good player.
By virtue of playing so many more minutes than any of the other likely suspects maybe. For key passes per 90mins for players that have played more than 10 games this season, he's 5th behind Mata, Lingard, Pereira & Young. Not so impressive when looked at in that light.

He hasn't registered a single through ball in the PL this season.

By virtue of playing so many more minutes than any of the other likely suspects maybe. For key passes per 90mins for players that have played more than 10 games this season, he's 5th behind Mata, Lingard, Pereira & Young. Not so impressive when looked at in that light.
Not really considering 3 of them play much more advanced than him and the other threw in 20 crosses per game :lol:

I couldn't disagree more with you about Fred, I'm a CM myself, was only at conference level granted (and a cup game vs. Gothenburg once upon a time) but Fred is a class act in the position.

Ibi Dreams

We've absolutely missed him this season, we've put out shocking midfields many times this season. Having said that, letting him go has allowed McTominay and Fred greater roles in the team and they've both done very well. He wouldn't necessarily be first choice but feck me, he's miles better than some players who won't be named that have turned out for us this season

Classical Mechanic

Not really considering 3 of them play much more advanced than him and the other threw in 20 crosses per game :lol:

I couldn't disagree more with you about Fred, I'm a CM myself, was only at conference level granted (and a cup game vs. Gothenburg once upon a time) but Fred is a class act in the position.
I think he's similar level to Herrera really. Good player but not a top one. Take away his running and you have a mediocre ball player at the top level.

Only Young made significantly more crosses per 90. He was on 1.3 crosses per 90, Mata on 0.6, Fred and Pereira on 0.4 each and Lingard on 0!

I think he's similar level to Herrera really. Good player but not a top one. Take away his running and you have a mediocre ball player at the top level.
Take away Kante's running and you have a mediocre ball player at the top level. I disagree though, Fred's a much better ball player than you're willing to give him credit for, always available and makes excellent choices.

Only Young made significantly more crosses per 90. He was on 1.3 crosses per 90, Mata on 0.6, Fred and Pereira on 0.4 each and Lingard on 0!
That was my point. 3 play more advanced (Fred, Pereira, Mata) and one throws in shit loads of crosses per game. Young is probably top of the pile at Inter too in recent games.

Classical Mechanic

Take away Kante's running and you have a mediocre ball player at the top level. I disagree though, Fred's a much better ball player than you're willing to give him credit for, always available and makes excellent choices.

That was my point. 3 play more advanced (Fred, Pereira, Mata) and one throws in shit loads of crosses per game. Young is probably top of the pile at Inter too in recent games.
I agree that running is very important, especially in the modern game. But your original point was to discredit Herrera for his attitude and combative nature. Fred isn't a shit-house but shows great attitude by running so hard. It's tantamount to the same thing. They're dedicated and reliable.

I actually think that Kante is pretty average as 8 (I've watched Chelsea a lot this season). I think he only excels as an all action ball winner at the base of midfield.

I agree that running is very important, especially in the modern game. But your original point was to discredit Herrera for his attitude and combative nature.
And I stand by the original point, Ander Herrera is overrated, much like Gabby Heinze due to his attitude. He was dropped by both LVG and Mourinho in favour of other players, for a reason.

On the ball it's night and day between he and Fred.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Of course he has.

Herrera reminds me of Gabby Heinze, a decent player for us but overrated to feck because of his attitude.
Herreras performances can be backed up by insane stats. When you win the ball back more times than Kante per 90 minutes, or the team having a significantly higher win percentage he was in it, not to mention winning player of the the year, it's a bit harsh to say it's only because of his attitude.

And I stand by the original point, Ander Herrera is overrated, much like Gabby Heinze due to his attitude. He was dropped by both LVG and Mourinho in favour of other players, for a reason.
And then by the end of the season had become an integral part of the side, for a reason.

Herreras performances can be backed up by insane stats. When you win the ball back more times than Kante per 90 minutes, or the team having a significantly higher win percentage he was in it, not to mention winning player of the the year, it's a bit harsh to say it's only because of his attitude.
Over his time at United? I'm interested to see those stats @ivaldo, very interested.

As for winning player of the year, that takes us nicely back to my original point today, here's another who won the Sir Matt Busby Player of The Year in 2005 and it was equally as ridiculous :lol:....

Zlatan should have pissed it that season, just as Ronaldo should've probably won it in 2004 when too many fans were still claiming he was a show pony.

Looking at Fred this season compared to Herrera last season. Fred is involved much more, making on average 17 passes more per game and more dribbles. Pass completion rate is almost exactly the same but what is telling is that Fred manages it whilst making 1.4 Key Passes per game compared to 0.3 for Ander, 0.6 crosses per game and 0 for Ander, and 4.1 long balls per game compared to just 1.5 for Ander.

The stats back up my own memory that Ander played minimal risk and was nowhere near as dominant in affecting a football game on the ball as Fred.

Off the ball he was a better bastard than Fred (confirmed in stats), and is overrated due to that, much like Gabby Heinze. Once Evra came in, people quickly realised the quality is simply more important in the end game.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Over his time at United? I'm interested to see those stats @ivaldo, very interested.

As for winning player of the year, that takes us nicely back to my original point today, here's another who won the Sir Matt Busby Player of The Year in 2005 and it was equally as ridiculous :lol:....
They were brought up sporadically in his performance threads. Plenty of times in the season where Kante won player of the year though I can't be arsed to dig them out. Memory is a big hazy, but Kante shaded tackles won/lost, but everything else was significantly weighted towards Ander. And as I said, managers tried to replace him, realised what a big mistake that was, then ended up relying on him by season's end. Having him in the mix would have been a massive plus this season. My guess is we would be comfortably in the play off positions if he were. Would've loved to see him play with Fred and Bruno. The pressure would be relentless!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Great respect for Ander. He went to a big club, new challenge and a pay rise - it made sense for him. But he left with a lot of love for the fans and the club, leaving on good terms.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Great respect for Ander. He went to a big club, new challenge and a pay rise - it made sense for him. But he left with a lot of love for the fans and the club, leaving on good terms.
It's slightly annoying we lost him on a free but that's more on Woodward. Even in his late twenties he should command a reasonable fee.

Himannv

New article on Sky: https://www.skysports.com/football/...ted-didnt-show-me-the-love-after-third-season

Extracting the quotes:

"My intention was not to leave the club and I was happy there - as happy as I am now here"

"It was not a secret. I was negotiating for more than one year but I expected more from the board after my third season at the club when I was player of the year. They didn't come to me that summer, they didn't even call me. And that was very painful for me because I had a feeling that I was giving everything."

"In saying that I have a huge respect for Ed Woodward, a huge respect for the board. They have always treated me fantastically."

I know they want the best for Manchester United but in football, in life and in every company in the world sometimes you don't think the same way and I respect that. If I see Ed I will give him a hug. We just had different opinions about Manchester United and, in my opinion, what the club should have done.

"I want to make sure everyone understands there is nothing personal at all. That's life. But it's true - after the third season when I was player of the year, when I had the respect and the love from the fans, I didn't feel that love from the club."

MattofManchester

People really do form random, rubbish opinions over football players these days. This guy just played in a CL final, and helped prevent Bayern from running over PSG in the first half. After he came off in the second half, Bayern dominated the midfield.

And yet some are calling him a "nothing" player.

He's not World Class, but he definitely has quality and character. He also seems to do very well on the big stages, which is a useful feature to have. This is also the guy who played alongside Pogba in his best run of form in our side. After he was injured, was when the wheels started to come off.

Some of you, remind me how many of the current United players have played well in a European Cup final that you decidedly choose to rep? In fact, remind me of how many of our players have done well in the latter stages of a knockout competition that you consider quality, and not call a nothing player?
Double standards and agendas everywhere.

Last edited:

Bwuk

People really do form random, rubbish opinions over football players these days. This guy just played in a CL final, and helped prevent Bayern from running over PSG in the first half. After he came off in the second half, Bayern dominated the midfield.

And yet some are calling him a "nothing" player.

He's not World Class, but he definitely has quality and character. He also seems to do very well on the big stages, which is a useful feature to have. This is also the guy who played alongside Pogba in his best run of form in our side. After he was injured, was when the wheels started to come off.

Some of you, remind me how many of the current United players have played well in a European Cup final that you decidedly choose to rep? In fact, remind me of how many of our players have done well in the latter stages of a knockout competition that you consider quality, and not call a nothing player?
Double standards and agendas everywhere.
Great post. Herrera is extremely under rated on here.

I'd imagine PSG will try to have him mark Bruno.

hubbuh

New article on Sky: https://www.skysports.com/football/...ted-didnt-show-me-the-love-after-third-season

Extracting the quotes:

"My intention was not to leave the club and I was happy there - as happy as I am now here"

"It was not a secret. I was negotiating for more than one year but I expected more from the board after my third season at the club when I was player of the year. They didn't come to me that summer, they didn't even call me. And that was very painful for me because I had a feeling that I was giving everything."

"In saying that I have a huge respect for Ed Woodward, a huge respect for the board. They have always treated me fantastically."

I know they want the best for Manchester United but in football, in life and in every company in the world sometimes you don't think the same way and I respect that. If I see Ed I will give him a hug. We just had different opinions about Manchester United and, in my opinion, what the club should have done.

"I want to make sure everyone understands there is nothing personal at all. That's life. But it's true - after the third season when I was player of the year, when I had the respect and the love from the fans, I didn't feel that love from the club."
It’s really, really annoying how bad we seem to be in securing good faith with our own players. If they decided they didn’t want to offer Herrera more than what they did then fine, but the way we go about this stuff always seems to be the wrong way.

Ekeke

Still rather have him in the team than Matic, Fred or McTominay. Good player, hope he's terrible against us if he starts though :lol: If he doesnt he'll at least come off the bench I'm sure.

Wouldnt put it past him to score an important goal either

hungrywing

Still rather have him in the team than Matic, Fred or McTominay. Good player, hope he's terrible against us if he starts though :lol: If he doesnt he'll at least come off the bench I'm sure.

Wouldnt put it past him to get two quick yellows in succession on purpose so they go down to ten men
Fixed.

clarkydaz

Extracting the quotes:

Perfect way to throw shade on the board, well done Ander

Irwin99

Extracting the quotes:

See I don't understand why a lot of people never understood Herrera's annoyance at this as he explains. He had a good/decent first season, a poor second season, and was excellent in the third year and beat Ibra to our POTY award. He sees people like Young, Rojo, and Phil fecking Jones get contract extensions for making nowhere near his contribution and yet he's not given a deal? I'd tell the club to get stuffed if that was me too.

Never a world class player but a damn sight better than a lot of the dross that have kept their places in this squad for years on end.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
See I don't understand why a lot of people never understood Herrera's annoyance at this as he explains. He had a good/decent first season, a poor second season, and was excellent in the third year and beat Ibra to our POTY award. He sees people like Young, Rojo, and Phil fecking Jones get contract extensions for making nowhere near his contribution and yet he's not given a deal? I'd tell the club to get stuffed if that was me too.

Never a world class player but a damn sight better than a lot of the dross that have kept their places in this squad for years on end.
Qft

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He'll do a Hazard on Bruno tonight and be his fecking shadow. Exaggerate every foul and try to get him booked early.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Annoying as he’d be an amazing No 6 with Bruno and Donny/Pogba in front of him right now

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Wouldnt put it past him to score an important goal either
Like you said in the Fernandes thread, his leadership qualities were very valuable and it's fortunate we picked Fernandes when we did up otherwise we'd be leaderless on the pitch, it's no coincidence Pogba always looked at his best next to Herrera. I feel we need to we get another player like him to fill Matic's role.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
He'll do a Hazard on Bruno tonight and be his fecking shadow. Exaggerate every foul and try to get him booked early.
I was thinking of the same thing. Our players bar Bruno (and once upon a time, Herrera) know nothing about the dark arts and are extremely gullible - expect a lot of playacting, rolling around, exaggerated contact, referee hounding and wind-ups from PSG while they try to win fouls in our half. Bruno will have Herrera dovetailing his shadow all night as cherry on top.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He's going to do a number on Bruno tonight isn't he?

The epitome of a big game player. Yes he wasn't world class but his mentality certainly was. I was gutted to see him leave, truly. Thanks Woodward!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He's going to do a number on Bruno tonight isn't he?

The epitome of a big game player. Yes he wasn't world class but his mentality certainly was. I was gutted to see him leave, truly. Thanks Woodward!
yeah he’s going to follow him around all game. Hopefully Bruno can pull him around the pitch and the rest of our players can exploit the space.

MuFc_1992

Letting him go signifies everything that is wrong with post fergie Manchester United. Fergie simply kept players like Park around even though he could've been upgraded because a player is a lot more than the set of attributes. A player like Herrera might struggle to break teams down when playing against parked buses but when it comes to big games he'd be the first name on the teamsheet.

mu4c_20le

Letting him go signifies everything that is wrong with post fergie Manchester United. Fergie simply kept players like Park around even though he could've been upgraded because a player is a lot more than the set of attributes. A
Park never asked for 250k on his twilight years.

Letting him go signifies everything that is wrong with post fergie Manchester United. Fergie simply kept players like Park around even though he could've been upgraded because a player is a lot more than the set of attributes. A
like Phil Neville?

It was the right move to let Herrera leave. Can’t see how he would make a difference to our team now.

like him and, I’ve nothing bad to say about him. Just don’t see the need to fawn over him.

MuFc_1992

Park never asked for 250k on his twilight years.
I'd say 250k now is not that far off what Park was on. Also, the way transfer fees have gone up gives players with contract running out a lot more leverage when signing that extension. For example Park when he was 29 wouldn't be worth more than 10 million whereas Herrera is easily worth 30 million IMO. So, giving him 250k a week for 3 years only comes down to 39 million which is equivalent to the fee we paid to sign Matic.

Okey

Ander is your all round good guy. The kind who'd struggle to say a bad word about anyone and vice versa. I thought there was a money issue too, not just length of contract. Shame as he would have been a very good DM in front of our current AMs. But that's life hey, he's moved on. We need to move on too and get a proper all action DM as soon as...

Okey

Sad there won't be fans to serenade him with that wonderful chant of his when they come to OT.

TrustInOle

Miss the lad! Always spoke well of the club and the fans and seemed to grasp our history very quickly. True team player and one we sorely miss in midfield now. May not be world class, but was a player who left it all on the pitch, I don't think I recall a bad game from him to go fair either.

As others have said, I expect him to do a hazard job on Bruno tonight unfortunately, when he should be doing it on Naymar :(