Ander Herrera Revisited

RU Devil

Sad but true.

At times it feels like there's nobody at the club who is aware of the contractual situation of our players or our targets. You look at clubs like Juve and Bayern, they always seem to know when the players they want will be out of contract and when they need to act to tie up or get a profit on their players.

With United it feels like players often get into the last year of their deal with no planning: the club neither knows whether it wants to sell them or keep them. Then you end up with panicky decisions like a new three year deal for Rojo and four years for Phil Jones. :houllier: While, apparently, we had no idea that Sancho had three years left on his deal not two. Its so strange.

When Ander was entering the last two years of his deal the club should have decided then what it wanted: Sell him or renew. Instead no decision was taken and Ander acted to secure his future himself.
Problem was that Jose had basically side-lined him after getting Matic in, so the hierarchy probably figured to let him run out the contract instead of re-upping. Not saying Woody & Co are to be forgiven in this case, but there were extenuating circumstances. Heck, they give out contracts to protect 'assets', so why not in Anders' case. They do come off as a bunch of naive bumpkins in the transfer market. Really wish they were serious about a DOF.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
As a PSG fan, I was mostly disappointed by him during half the season, that is whenever he did play because he was out very often, however in the CL he gained in composure and sharpness and was a solid asset. There's also an intangible with Andres that stats will not quantify, his leadership, personality, and his adaptability. He is already speaking French, he's a huge glue guy, and he's someone I'm now content being at the club. I don't think it was necessarily a bad move for United to part with him, especially if the contract given by PSG is anywhere remotely close to the truth.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
To set things straight for the 10th time, Herrera doesn't get paid 300K/week at PSG. It's the same silly info that put Ramsey at 20+M/y at Juventus when he left england, it's total nonsense. According to most reports, he's around 160k€ (gross)/week.

Judas

Open to offers
It's amazing how as much as I liked him when he was here, I don't think I've ever for a second felt like we've missed him on the pitch, even when we've been awful, I've never thought "Herrera would make the difference right now".

Wish he'd stop whinging too, he made his point about the club ages ago, it's not helping anything.

SAFMUTD

He always says the right things and is set to be a great manager, but as a player I dont understand why was he so liked here. He's bang average, doesnt offer anything that McTominay cant, in yesterday match he showed nothing.

He always says the right things and is set to be a great manager, but as a player I dont understand why was he so liked here. He's bang average, doesnt offer anything that McTominay cant, in yesterday match he showed nothing.
people seemed to like that he was a cheating, nasty little bugger at times. After being stung by so many play acting players, we finally had one for ourselves.

he showed a little bite at times. Nothing against Herrera, but the fact that people on here were fawning over him before yesterdays game, just shows how bad a midfield we had when he was here. Even then, he was only a nailed on starter for one season.

he has a genuine passion for football, and showed the club a lot of love whilst he was here. So good luck to him. He could have been a useful squad player for us, but not on those wages, and not for a minute has he been missed.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Likes to say all the right things to keep the fans on side but the main reason he left was because he was getting a massive pay rise. Nothing wrong with that but annoying to hear him constantly pretending he left cos we took too long to offer him a deal and not because of the 300k he's on now

macheda14

Likes to say all the right things to keep the fans on side but the main reason he left was because he was getting a massive pay rise. Nothing wrong with that but annoying to hear him constantly pretending he left cos we took too long to offer him a deal and not because of the 300k he's on now
If we had offered him a deal sooner he probably would have taken it, because the 300k wasn't on the table and he probably wouldn't have waited around for a better offer. As soon as he got the chance to decide between staying and 300k to live in Paris, well you'd take the second one.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Neville called it at the time, plain and average midfielder. Wouldn’t get in our midfield now, would possibly be our 7th choice midfielder.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Didn’t notice him yesterday

Jaxa

The club have made many a mistake over the last few years with contracts but they were spot on to not drop to this guys demands, he can say what he want's but he never got the mental wage demands he and his agent were after and we told them to do one, imagine having a 31 year old Herrera here on 250-300k a week with 3 years left :nervous:

Andersonson

Seems like a good guy, but not the midfielder we need.

We got better and we made the right move on this one.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
If we had offered him a deal sooner he probably would have taken it, because the 300k wasn't on the table and he probably wouldn't have waited around for a better offer. As soon as he got the chance to decide between staying and 300k to live in Paris, well you'd take the second one.
Think there was a good reason we didn't offer him a deal sooner. He was looking ridiculously money by all accounts and wasn't an indispensable player to justify it. Also was starting to get on a bit

Mercurial

Nice chap, not missed, getting Herrera and playing him in UCL final kinda makes u wonder if the PSG project is on its dying breath once Neymar and Mbappe leave next year or two?

Ekeke

Neville called it at the time, plain and average midfielder. Wouldn’t get in our midfield now, would possibly be our 7th choice midfielder.
But he can get into the team who reached the champions league final instead of the europa league :lol:

AshRK

He was fine but he was no roy keane. Good servant but he should stop whining.

crossy1686

career ending
Agree with Neville's statement at the time, McTomminay replaced Herrera with ease and we've not missed him one bit.

I'd love to hear what those people who were saying we should have matched his contract think now. £200k+ a week, hardly playing. Possibly our 5th or 6th best midfielder. Some of you should never trust your own judgement ever again, like seriously, ask for as many opinions on all your life choices before you decide if you ever thought extending his contract was a good idea.

Ekeke

bump

Scored a volley outside of the box tonight in PSG’s 4-2 win. Must be loving life there playing with stars all around him.
Put Mbappe through on goal when it was 0-0 too. Good goal, one of PSG's best players in the first 3 games of the season as PSG won all 3. Played every minute of them with 2 assists and 1 goal

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Put Mbappe through on goal when it was 0-0 too. Good goal, one of PSG's best players in the first 3 games of the season as PSG won all 3. Played every minute of them with 2 assists and 1 goal
Yep, he's one of the players PSG has been trying to sell, and it seems to have lit a spark in him, he's been more vocal, always demanding the ball, and being more decisive. Without Neymar or now Messi, he's definitely taken the responsibility of trying to break down defenses about as well as he could so far this season. Maybe it just ends up with him actually getting someone interested enough to take him off PSG's hand, but you can see there's a role for him on this team the way he's playing so far.

Ekeke

His 6 games for PSG so far this season so far. Played the full 90 in almost all of them and is currently giving Gundogan a run for his money as a goalscoring midfielder :eek:

Ekeke

It is just an opportunity to laugh about PSG. They field Mbappe, Messi and Neymar and have to rely on Herrera to score :lol:
Its a weird way to look at it. He's playing much better than Sancho for example. Wouldnt it just be easier to say "He's doing great for 32 years old and after a lot of people wrote him off for going to PSG, he's proven himself, is first choice and starting in their best ever team, and is maybe in the form of his life" rather than us having to pretend he's going to end up scoring more goals this season than Mbappe, Messi, Neymar, Sancho and Rashford and that it makes them bad somehow that someone who has 3 goals in 4 league starts is outscoring them?

Its sad that people can't just admit whats clear without being bitter and trying to rewrite reality one post at a time.

MadMike

Better than Fred, mctom, and matic.
I don’t think he was better than peak Matic personally. We probably only saw peak Matic for 12-18 months though. He was even better at Chelsea.

That said, the lad didn’t renew here because he was offered 300k by PSG. He might be marginally better than Fred and Scott but not as good as to be on those wages.

Revaulx

He always seemed rather a nothing player for us. And yet I thought we played better as a team when he was in it. He was hardly irreplaceable though, and I wasn’t bothered when he left.
Who gives a feck about this chump? Honestly…
I really don’t understand the bitterness he engendered on his departure, which clearly survives to this day. It seems to be on the same level as Heinze, Tevez and Di Maria.

Irwin99

He always seemed rather a nothing player for us. And yet I thought we played better as a team when he was in it. He was hardly irreplaceable though, and I wasn’t bothered when he left.

I really don’t understand the bitterness he engendered on his departure, which clearly survives to this day. It seems to be on the same level as Heinze, Tevez and Di Maria.
It honestly baffles me; the club gave contract extensions to Smalling, Phil Jones and Young yet didn't give the guy who was easily our best player in 16-17 and MOTM in the EL final an extension until the very last minute by which time PSG offered to CL football and a much bigger contract.

If I had been in Ander's situation I would have told the club to feck off as well. Don't understand why fans can't see this or why there's any bitterness against a player who actually was pretty decent here.

KeanoMagicHat

Herrera was always quite a good player and would have been better to have than Fred or McTominay. He always tried his best for us and did a solid job, so good luck to him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I’m not bitter at all. Just think he was bit of a nothing player, as you say.

MattofManchester

Still consider him a better player than Fred and nothing will change my mind on that. Had and still have no idea why we spunked 50 odd million on a player who wasn't even an upgrade on what we had.

Still though, he's a bit too much like McTominay, who is a bigger, stronger version of him, so we haven't lost out much. Just that replacing him with Fred made very little sense.

Also, those who say he left for more money need to have an actual look at what he earns at PSG, which is barely an upgrade on what he earned in Manchester.

Unfortunately, that doesn't fuel everybody's need for an agenda.