Ander Herrera Revisited

Matriac

He talked the talk, probably could have been one our best ambassadors in the future, maybe also pundit on tv, but risked it by going for the last payday. Might have been the better choice. Tough to say, could still have played a role here, but we never needed to go out of our way to replace him.

AFC NimbleThumb

He talked the talk, probably could have been one our best ambassadors in the future, maybe also pundit on tv, but risked it by going for the last payday. Might have been the better choice. Tough to say, could still have played a role here, but we never needed to go out of our way to replace him.
Pretty much this.

All those saying he got the club do understand that he had a contract offer at United [where it’s obvious he would have played more] but left for more lucrative pastures. The club handled his contract negotiations terribly & I actually don’t blame him for chasing the money but he did just that.

I’ve never gotten the cult following this guy gets when others are so easily berated. He’d be a great option off our bench these days though but he’s not the difference between where we want to be & where we are so I hope he enjoys the Parisian lifestyle.

Skåre Willoch

I really liked the guy. Great passion. How he got into Gerrards head :lol:

But he is probably, or were at the time of his departure at least, the most overrated footballer we’ve had for a while.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Right player wrong time. Deffo be good to have in the squad right now.

passing-wind

Herrera had the right mentality but was restricted talent wise. He was in the mould of a Darren Fletcher / John O'Shea of the midfield fantastic utility player but if he's identified as a main 11 member there's a quality issue.

Matic, Pogba and Ander was functional but that PSG home fixture was a real glimpse of how that combination fairs against quality opposition (we won the reverse fixture but assess the performance of the midfield). Now all of a sudden with Pogba, Matic and Bruno we've gone from Herrera representing a decent balance to now having one of the best midfields in the league.

van Persie

Cant be we have Lindelof
Lindelöf is a centre back and he recieves far too much criticism in the position he plays. I'd like you to point out where he does wrong. It's work. He's comitted to it.

Edit: Also Herrera was trash for us and a miserable signing. I don't know why there's even a thread here. 37£ million or so for him? Just delete the thread and move forward.

Last edited:

stevoc

The sort of work where you don't wait until the last 6 fecking months to extend the contract of player who (at the time) was a key first-team player.
Was he a key player in 2017-18?

Herrera mentioned this lax attitude with the extension of foreign players' contracts when he talked about his decision. While all this was going on, Phil fecking Jones got his 5-year deal for sitting on the bench.
So it's just foreign players we do that with then is it?

You do know Jones was in the last few months of his contract when he was given a new one yes?

His contract was running out in June 2019, he signed a new deal in February 2019. I don't think we should have given Jones a new 5 year deal personally but lets not make shit up.

So, yeah, plenty of things about our incompetent set-up could have been done better to keep him at ~100k which for us is peanuts.
But he wanted 2-3 times that, i don't see how the timing of the contract offer would have made a difference. He signed in 2014 on wages of around £80-100k so obviously if he was going to commit to another 5 years and given he was 29 and it was his last chance at a big contract then i don't see how he would have agreed to stay on the same wages he was already getting. Especially at a time when we were throwing £400k+ at Sanchez a week.

Obviously Herrera and his agent thought they could get £250-300k out of United, but sadly for him United called his bluff and were happy enough for him to move on.

I liked Herrera good player, hard worker, good attitude but nothing more. He wasn't worth what he was asking for and the club quite rightly wished him well and allowed him to move on. While he would have been useful this season lets be honest he hasn't been missed.

Ekeke

Lindelöf is a centre back and he recieves far too much criticism in the position he plays. I'd like you to point out where he does wrong. It's work. He's comitted to it.

Edit: Also Herrera was trash for us and a miserable signing. I don't know why there's even a thread here. 37£ million or so for him? Just delete the thread and move forward.
Always do point it out, read more

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He wasn't the best but he was usually decent and sometimes very good. I thought he was miles better than Fred is.

432JuanMata

A few here saying we don’t miss him ? Why Pogba was out half the season and Bruno only came in January. We missed him because our backups in midfield are worse than him. Going into next season I’m happy enough with the midfield to say we won’t miss him but we could of done with him early on this season

Verminator

The thought of him being on one of the highest wages here, probably not getting a game, is ample reason to be happy he left.
In fact, if that was the cause of us cooling on the silly wages, he at least did us a favour as he went.
The squad probably would have been restricted, in part, due to that.
If we can offload Sanchez, and maybe if DDG goes, we could end up freeing enough money for some decent squad numbers.

He'sRaldo

He was replaced by McTominay. Attributes-wise we don't miss his profile.

ghagua

He wasn't the best but he was usually decent and sometimes very good. I thought he was miles better than Fred is.
Not better than the Fred we had this season. First season Fred, then absolutely

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
A great attititude but a real nothing player in our history. Contact requests aside, he'd still be useful to have around as backup probably, but even then, not that useful.

Had a few quality games for us, but in classic caf fashion some people overrated him constantly because of it.

He'sRaldo

He was replaced by McTominay. Attributes-wise we don't miss his profile.
And besides, he didn't want to be here which is a key criteria for Ole.

That combined with the wages + injury issues at PSG, it's for the best he left at the time he did. We dodged a bullet I reckon.

Colin Clarke

I think he was a valuable squad member and still would have been if fit. His injuries catched up lately, but when fit, great option to have to rotate with Matic, McTom and Fred. He was on their level. Especially in the big games, he was up for it and very flexible. I still would have kept him, and moved on the likes of Pereira and Lingrad. I think Ole wanted him to stay but he made his decision to leave before he arrived.

Nothing more to add to it. Good player, some will say should have stayed others will say he was overrated, but in the end, we don't depend on him now that McTom and Fred have stepped up.
I think of all the players who left last summer his was the most felt because of the Pogba injury and Matics poor early form. It's sad when I read that he left because United where so late offering a contract extension he had already decided to leave yet we offered extensions to Jones, Smalling, Lingard etc. If he had stayed we might be a bit closer to City than we finished but then knowing Woodward we might not have bought Bruno. Who knows?

el3mel

A great attititude but a real nothing player in our history. Contact requests aside, he'd still be useful to have around as backup probably, but even then, not that useful.

Had a few quality games for us, but in classic caf fashion some people overrated him constantly because of it.
He stayed 5 years with us in which he played 189 games, and won 3 trophies, including a European trophy in which he started the final and won the official man of the match award. Of course he's not a "nothing player in our history".

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He stayed 5 years with us in which he played 189 games, and won 3 trophies, including a European trophy in which he started the final and won the official man of the match award. Of course he's not a "nothing player in our history".
He really is though. I'd bet most people haven't given him a second thought.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well this is your opinion. Stats say otherwise as I said though.
He did very little to improve our football the majority of the time he was on the pitch. Stats don't paint a true picture of a player at all. See Lukaku.

el3mel

He did very little to improve our football the majority of the time he was on the pitch. Stats don't paint a true picture of a player at all. See Lukaku.
Well that's not true for me. Our midfield used to improve a lot whenever he played, but again, that's your opinion and you are free to have it.

Lukaku stayed only for 2 years and won nothing with us.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well that's not true for me. Our midfield used to improve a lot whenever he played, but again, that's your opinion and you are free to have it.

Lukaku stayed only for 2 years and won nothing with us.
I wasn't really counting what was won while they were here. I found he'd contribute to a very mediocre midfield and not much more, apart from the odd game where he was genuinely very good. But yeah, it's all good that you think more of him. I do like the guy.

el3mel

I wasn't really counting what was won while they were here. I found he'd contribute to a very mediocre midfield and not much more, apart from the odd game where he was genuinely very good. But yeah, it's all good that you think more of him. I do like the guy.
We can always agree to disagree. :)

Witchking

I would agree. He was a very good player. I enjoyed his time at United when it was a bleak time at the club overall.

mu4c_20le

I would agree. He was a very good player. I enjoyed his time at United when it was a bleak time at the club overall.
He is in the same category as Lingard and Fellaini, who won the same trophies. He always put in a shift which gets in the fans good graces, but in the grand scheme of things he is just another player that came and went in our history. I would define his time at the club in two moments: man marking Hazard, and getting picked up by Noble.

Witchking

He is in the same category as Lingard and Fellaini, who won the same trophies. He always put in a shift which gets in the fans good graces, but in the grand scheme of things he is just another player that came and went in our history. I would define his time at the club in two moments: man marking Hazard, and getting picked up by Noble.
I would disagree. For me, he was one of the first players on the team sheet. Especially in big matches. If he played, I was more confident of a mid field showing.

He was not someone who could pick the team up when they were down. He was someone who could compliment the team fantastically on his day.

Unfortunately, he either played with crap players or shit tactics or both.

He is certainly not in the same level as lingard and felliani. He is way above.