Ander Herrera Revisited

Suedesi

Had the worst habit of passing the ball back to the guy who passed it to him straight away. Sometimes numerous times in a row. Can't really describe it well but I've never seen someone do it like he did.
When he snapped out of it he was actually a good passer.

Fine player who did well here, can't particularly say I miss him.
This. Used to drive me nuts. Average player who stood out because he was surrounded by dross. Don't miss him.

POF

I loved Ander as a player. Really intelligent player and could play multiple roles to a good standard. He'd have been ideal for the run in as he's the sort of reliable character where it's not a risk to bring him in for a must win game.

First choice midfield at the end of last season was Ander, Matic, Pogba. Now it's Pogba, Matic, Bruno. I don't think anyone could argue that isn't a significant upgrade, at least offensively. Credit to Ole for the change in system to get the best out of that midfield.

It's a real shame he left but Ole has done a great job to ensure he hasn't been a big loss.

gorky_utd

Good attitude. Average player. Simply not good enough for a team we are trying to be.

prateik

I miss the guy more than the player. That's not to say he was a bad player.. but the player can be replaced...

He was one of the (very) few post Fergie / pre Ole players that I really liked.

hmchan

This. Used to drive me nuts. Average player who stood out because he was surrounded by dross. Don't miss him.
Offensively Herrera was a terrible user of the ball. He didn't have the ability, composure and confidence to hold onto the ball and look for better options. He panicked every time he received the ball, and he just wanted to get rid of it asap as if it was a bomb. Hence he made plenty of sideway and backward passes. As a result, he failed to dictate the tempo of the game and wasn't useful in the team's buildup play.

Defensively he had been fairly good most of the time, until he became hot-headed in certain matches or moments. When he got too passionate, he was just all over the place - getting out of position, committing silly tackles, putting the team on the line. The most notable game was the FA Cup semifinal against Tottenham where he was pulled out in the middle of the match and scolded by Mourinho.

Many praised his POTY season. Yes he played well and did his job consistently while others didn't, that's why he got the award. However, this didn't mean he's the best player in terms of ability. Shaw, Valencia and Chicharito all won it once but they clearly weren't players with top quality. The fact that Mourinho replaced Herrera with Matic immediately after the POTY season implied he's deficient in certain aspects in his game.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
One of the most underrated United players in modern time. Granted, his age would not have made him part of the new United team emerging, but it would have made the transition a lot more painless.

Look up the stats with/without Herrera under Ole. They are mad

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s quite clear reading this thread that Herrera is massively underrated. Was our best midfielder under our two worst ever managers, doesn’t seem to get credited enough for his quality and the fact that Ole has turned us around without him seems to be clouding the view of many. He was top class.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Offensively Herrera was a terrible user of the ball. He didn't have the ability, composure and confidence to hold onto the ball and look for better options. He panicked every time he received the ball, and he just wanted to get rid of it asap as if it was a bomb. Hence he made plenty of sideway and backward passes. As a result, he failed to dictate the tempo of the game and wasn't useful in the team's buildup play.

Defensively he had been fairly good most of the time, until he became hot-headed in certain matches or moments. When he got too passionate, he was just all over the place - getting out of position, committing silly tackles, putting the team on the line. The most notable game was the FA Cup semifinal against Tottenham where he was pulled out in the middle of the match and scolded by Mourinho.

Many praised his POTY season. Yes he played well and did his job consistently while others didn't, that's why he got the award. However, this didn't mean he's the best player in terms of ability. Shaw, Valencia and Chicharito all won it once but they clearly weren't players with top quality. The fact that Mourinho replaced Herrera with Matic immediately after the POTY season implied he's deficient in certain aspects in his game.
It simply showed rather that he was never a true defensive midfielder. Herrera was naturally an 8.

It’s quite clear reading this thread that Herrera is massively underrated. Was our best midfielder under our two worst ever managers, doesn’t seem to get credited enough for his quality and the fact that Ole has turned us around without him seems to be clouding the view of many. He was top class.
Our worst ever manager was Moyes, but I’m trying to erase him from our history as well, no not surprised you forgot about him.

He was a good midfielder, and would be in our match day squad today, and would have played the majority of the season whilst Pogba was injured.

He not worth the wages he’s on, but he’s got those wages as he was a free agent. If we had signed him to a contract the year before he wouldn’t have been asking for such a high pay packet (most likely). Can’t blame him for chasing the money on his last big contract.

Managerial churn and no clear direction meant we didn’t sign him to a contract earlier.

SteveW

Fred has turned himself into a better version of Herrera.

So he's no loss. Not that he gives a shit since he left for easy money.

POF

This is such a misunderstanding of his game. He grew up in Spanish football where they move the ball. Players don't sit on the ball and ping it. It's short, sharp, intelligent passing where the ball circulates and players get multiple touches of the ball. It's no surprise he played better under Ole where the ball movement was sharper.

Herrera's actual range of passing wasn't great. He often couldn't execute the difficult through ball or a long pass but he usually saw the correct option.

Technically he's very good. His control of the ball is excellent. He's just a really good all rounder. Not outstanding in any particular area but a versatile player capable of doing a really good job in multiple roles.

JohnnyLaw

Sure Matis is a better 6 than Herrera, but the poster we saying he could have played as 6 behind Bruno and Pogba and I agree, he would have done a good job there for several matches, even if not as a permanent starter.

Even when Fred improved in the first half of the season, he definitely didn't do anything much better than Herrera did for United. Herrera's peak form is still much better than Fred's peak at United so far, and as for the poor start, I won't go on to compare Herrera's first season to Fred's start with United because we all know about it.

Point is Fred didn't replace Herrera. Herrera was a main player for us since last season and under Ole as well, while Fred stance hasn't changed much at United since he joined, was a squad option when we had Herrera and he's still just a squad option now, and the only reason he played a lot in the first half and had time to gain some good form was because we had Pogba injured. Once we had all our main players back and signed Bruno, he returned to the bench. That's about it. The one who replaced Herrera in our main lineup was actually Bruno, as this is the only difference between the current midfield and the one during Ole's start as a United manager that landed him the job.

And as I said, we did a pretty good job building a great midfield 3 now, so it's not a problem that we let him go at the end. I have no problem with this. It's saying Fred is doing better than him or replaced him well is what boggled me that's all.
So if we can agree that Matic is the better player why argue?

Fred and Scott CAN also play as 6s and have done so admirably this season whilst also doing it for a fraction of the cost that Herrera demanded to stay.

DevilRed

Better than Fred.

Would have been a valuable squad member especially during the months that Pogba went down.

However, with McTominay's emergence, I hope he gets a chance to cement a place in the first eleven by continuing to improve.

I doubt we will sign a central midfielder this year, with the transfer budget likely to be spent on an attacking player and hopefully a top tier centreback.

fps

He stayed 5 years with us in which he played 189 games, and won 3 trophies, including a European trophy in which he started the final and won the official man of the match award. Of course he's not a "nothing player in our history".
And most people have forgotten him already. The stats mean nothing.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Fred has turned himself into a better version of Herrera.

So he's no loss. Not that he gives a shit since he left for easy money.
Fred isnt better

stevoc

I think of all the players who left last summer his was the most felt because of the Pogba injury and Matics poor early form. It's sad when I read that he left because United where so late offering a contract extension he had already decided to leave yet we offered extensions to Jones, Smalling, Lingard etc. If he had stayed we might be a bit closer to City than we finished but then knowing Woodward we might not have bought Bruno. Who knows?
Jones and Herrera's contracts were ending at the same time and they were both offered new deals at the same time.

Most teams don't renew squad players contracts 2-3 year in advance.

stevoc

He never played under Moyes.

Decomposing In Paris

Jones and Herrera's contracts were ending at the same time and they were both offered new deals at the same time.

Most teams don't renew squad players contracts 2-3 year in advance.
Jones has never been our POTY, and whilst we look great now without him, I think it’s incredibly unfair to group him with players like Jones.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Liked him but his attitude at the end, on the pitch,wasn't great. Barely arsed to try considering his best attribute was supposed to be someone who,' gave his all for the shirt.'

fezzerUTD

Pretty much this.

All those saying he got the club do understand that he had a contract offer at United [where it’s obvious he would have played more] but left for more lucrative pastures. The club handled his contract negotiations terribly & I actually don’t blame him for chasing the money but he did just that.

I’ve never gotten the cult following this guy gets when others are so easily berated. He’d be a great option off our bench these days though but he’s not the difference between where we want to be & where we are so I hope he enjoys the Parisian lifestyle.
This is absolute bs, and not true. Utd messed him around and didn't open any talks. They extended him the year before a year without discussing it with him, and when the year was up they didn't consult him until the last minute.

Inigo Montoya

This is absolute bs, and not true. Utd messed him around and didn't open any talks. They extended him the year before a year without discussing it with him, and when the year was up they didn't consult him until the last minute.
That's a new on on me. I thought he stated quite clearly that he didn't feel part of Utd's future plans. I saw his last few games live and He certainly played liked he couldn't be arsed.

ArjenIsM3

That's a new on on me. I thought he stated quite clearly that he didn't feel part of Utd's future plans. I saw his last few games live and He certainly played liked he couldn't be arsed.
Yeah he didn't feel part of our future plans because we showed no intention of renewing with him untill Solskjaer came in who tried to convince him to stay (which he said he appreciated) but by then it was too late and his mind was already made up. Club fecked up by leaving it too late.

Inigo Montoya

Yeah he didn't feel part of our future plans because we showed no intention of renewing with him untill Solskjaer came in who tried to convince him to stay (which he said he appreciated) but by then it was too late and his mind was already made up. Club fecked up by leaving it too late.
I'm personally glad that he left. This nonsense that 'he gave his all,' and 'he got stuck in,' was patent nonsense. He was decent in some games and decidedly average in most. We're a better team with the midfield we have.

fezzerUTD

Sorry I think the year he was renewed your talking about, and yes he was in negotiations in that season (2019) but his extension was done without him knowing much about it so it annoyed him.

Cassidy

His form towards the end of the season was very poor

stevoc

Jones has never been our POTY, and whilst we look great now without him, I think it’s incredibly unfair to group him with players like Jones.
Well to be fair i'm not the one who keeps bringing Jones up and making the comparison, 2-3 people over the last few pages have been claiming we didn't offer Herrera a contract early enough and bemoaning the fact we did with Jones.

I'm simply pointing out that the club handled both cases almost exactly. Herrera was great in 2016/17 playing 50 games and as you point out winning Player of the year. But 2 years later when he was offered a new deal i think it's fair to say he wasn't exactly first choice.

stevoc

Sorry I think the year he was renewed your talking about, and yes he was in negotiations in that season (2019) but his extension was done without him knowing much about it so it annoyed him.
They don't have to though thats the whole point of an optional year that the club can activate, he knew that was in the contract no one forced him to sign it. It's in virtually all United's player contracts these days as far as i'm aware. It shouldn't have came as some sort of surprise to him that United would trigger the extra year.

Last edited:

gajender

They don't have to though thats the whole point of an optional year that the club can activate, he knew that was in the contract no one forced him to sign it. It's in virtually all United's player contracts these days as far as i'm aware. It shouldn't have came as some sort of surprise to him that United would trigger the extra year.
And he still ran out his contract and went for free and despite that enjoy reputation of bleeding red among some of his supporters.

Morpheus 7

He was okay, good squad player. Turned up in a few big games. Played 6 great games a season, missing for the rest. Definitely the most overated player by United fans post Fergie. Bruno has played better so far than Herrera's entire time here, he came late January.

POF

His form towards the end of the season was very poor
Are you sure? Didn't he get injured vs Liverpool in late February when he was genuinely one of the best players in the team and then hardly played for the rest of the season?

Cassidy

Are you sure? Didn't he get injured vs Liverpool in late February when he was genuinely one of the best players in the team and then hardly played for the rest of the season?
No he played again a few times and was utter shite which is why he was then dropped

POF

And he still ran out his contract and went for free and despite that enjoy reputation of bleeding red among some of his supporters.
This is such a tiresome argument.

He was a bit part player under Mourinho and wasn't valued in the slightest by the club. He played his way back into the side (like he did pretty much every season of his United career) after Ole came in and Ole wanted to keep him.

The stories were that United offered him a pay decrease while PSG offered him an eye watering contract. A loyal servant he may be but he's not an idiot.

POF

No he played again a few times and was utter shite which is why he was then dropped
He wasn't dropped. He was injured and only got fit again for the Chelsea game late in the season.

Inigo Montoya

Like I said earlier I went to a few games towards the end of that season and Herrera was really poor. One game I saw he was completely schooled by Doucoure who many feel isn’t Utd quality. He was subbed. Says it all!