Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Supreme-

People keep saying it should have been done earlier but players nowadays know they can get much more money by delaying it until the contract finishes so I wouldn’t blame the club on this

Most importantly it’s not really a big deal if he leaves as we already have a ready made replacement

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah, having an interim manager is no excuse for the club. A contract should never run into its last year, let alone six months.
Which leaves us all hoping that maybe they have actually learnt something. I won't hold my breath though. Somebody needs to make a list of who we are being strongly linked with, made contact with clubs and how many we actually get. I like the sound of this Bruno lad, and Joao Felix. We need more goals, we are scoring more, but still need more. Scott and Fred have looked good in a couple of games, but they are not goal/assist machines. We don't get enough from our forwards atm, so really good do with more production from somewhere.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can't blame him if the rumored wages and contract length is true. He will earn lot more over the length of contract.

I was always a big fan of Herrera, will miss his defensive ability in big games and his superb work rate. Saying that, we can replace him with few players who are good defensively and also offers bit of goal threat. Just a shame this happened in the summer where we have to improve few more positions.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Good luck to him, get someone liie Barrella in to replace him, probably on half the wages, and we'r good.

DomesticTadpole

Can't blame him if the rumored wages and contract length is true. He will earn lot more over the length of contract.

I was always a big fan of Herrera, will miss his defensive ability in big games and his superb work rate. Saying that, we can replace him with few players who are good defensively and also offers bit of goal threat. Just a shame this happened in the summer where we have to improve few more positions.
Agree with what you are saying. I love Herrera, but is there better out there, yes. Will we get better, that is another question. We will have to wait and see. Do I begrudge him wanting his last big contract, no I don't and neither should anybody else.

youmeletsfly

We can do without Andrer and free up some wages. Pogba, Matic, Fred, MCT and Andreas are fine for next season as long as we invest in the other key areas on the pitch, RB, RW and a class ST.
I don't think we'll be buying another midfielder nevertheless. It's basically doing a Fred all over again and the risk is too big.

roonster09

Scout
Agree with what you are saying. I love Herrera, but is there better out there, yes. Will we get better, that is another question. We will have to wait and see. Do I begrudge him wanting his last big contract, no I don't and neither should anybody else.
Yeah, problem is whether we can sign the improvement on him considering we have few positions to address and also needed CM even with Herrera in the team. Now with him leaving on free transfer, we might have to settle for lesser quality in other positions if we have budget restrictions.

RD94

He should leave,never good enough to be a first team player just a squad option.To those who question why did we sign Jones,Smalling to new contracts its because they signed to lower wages and we could easily sell them to some mid table club in those few years with but with Herrera it could not be possible because he asks for 200k wages which his ability doesnt justify and he is 30 and to who or where would we sell him to.He is not worth it.He should be released with Mata and start with rebuilding the team with younger options.Next in line of selling or releasing should be certainly are Young,Matic...

DomesticTadpole

Yeah, problem is whether we can sign the improvement on him considering we have few positions to address and also needed CM even with Herrera in the team. Now with him leaving on free transfer, we might have to settle for lesser quality in other positions if we have budget restrictions.
Agree. It is going to depend on how much money has been allocated and how much we can get on outgoings (not that much I would imagine). Nobody should be going on free transfer unless they have been here for years and it is being done as a thank you. How can that be good for business. I just hope they don't let Ole down. He needs all the help he can get.

roonster09

Scout
Agree. It is going to depend on how much money has been allocated and how much we can get on outgoings (not that much I would imagine). Nobody should be going on free transfer unless they have been here for years and it is being done as a thank you. How can that be good for business. I just hope they don't let Ole down. He needs all the help he can get.
Yeah, that's the most disappointing part of this move. Leaving on free transfer but at the same time we can't blame the players. It's their career and they have to think from their point of view. Big money and a chance to experience new league, new city.

With so many contract extensions pending (and apparently nowhere near close to signing) it's a headache for Ole, whether to plan with them in the team or plan without them.

spiriticon

It's annoying that we're not getting a dime for his transfer but that's so us isn't it? We buy for much ££££ and let players go for free

DomesticTadpole

It's annoying that we're not getting a dime for his transfer but that's so us isn't it? We buy for much ££££ and let players go for free
Daft thing is we would probably have actually made a profit on him. He cost around £29m. I have seen him going for something in the 30's. We just throw money away.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Herrera would be an incredibly useful player to have around the squad next season (I mean, he is still our second best midfielder) and still has a great deal of worth attached to him. Letting him go for free is pretty annoying to be honest.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We can’t win as a club anyway.

Give him a new bumper contract at his age and he declines as fast as Sanchez before being constantly injured and unsellable.

He’ll look world class at PSG, of course he will, but would they pay £30m+ for him this summer or the next? I doubt it. Even under contract we’d still find a way to let him go for free.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
I cannot recall any season where we said Ander had a great season with us, it's mainly some good games and only that. When he did indeed get his chance to be a regular, he decided to go to PSG. Won't be too costly for us as he is replaceable just like most of our squad. Get Rabiot for free with normal wages and we should have a decent cover.

DomesticTadpole

I cannot recall any season where we said Ander had a great season with us, it's mainly some good games and only that. When he did indeed get his chance to be a regular, he decided to go to PSG. Won't be too costly for us as he is replaceable just like most of our squad. Get Rabiot for free with normal wages and we should have a decent cover.
You think Rabiot will come here for normal wages and potentially EL football? He will demand astronomical wages. We will need to clinch CL football before anyone of really high quality will sign for us.

Ban

Rabiot on a free for normal wages? Nothing easier. What are normal wages for him? Wages were exactly the problem at PSG with his and his mum.

Jeffthered

We can do without Andrer and free up some wages. Pogba, Matic, Fred, MCT and Andreas are fine for next season as long as we invest in the other key areas on the pitch, RB, RW and a class ST.
I don't think we'll be buying another midfielder nevertheless. It's basically doing a Fred all over again and the risk is too big.
Nope. Not good enough... need a Kante, Kroos, Matuidi etc level as an addition.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
You think Rabiot will come here for normal wages and potentially EL football? He will demand astronomical wages. We will need to clinch CL football before anyone of really high quality will sign for us.
Rabiot has been an outcast for much of this season, he wants to play obviously and on any given day, Manchester United is bigger than PSG and the EPL is the best league, if you get a chance to play for Manchester United I don't think you will feck it up by asking huge wages especially when you are not a young player anymore.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Rabiot on a free for normal wages? Nothing easier. What are normal wages for him? Wages were exactly the problem at PSG with his and his mum.
100k/week for a proven midfielder with 0 transfer fee would not be totally dramatic for our club and him I guess.

He's on 60k/week now.

DomesticTadpole

Rabiot has been an outcast for much of this season, he wants to play obviously and on any given day, Manchester United is bigger than PSG and the EPL is the best league, if you get a chance to play for Manchester United I don't think you will feck it up by asking huge wages especially when you are not a young player anymore.
I would say City, Liverpool, Real, Barcelona, maybe even Juventus and Bayern are ahead of us in the being a draw pecking order at the moment. Players want to win things, we cannot guarantee that. We cannot at the moment even guarantee CL football. That is the mess we are in due to mismanagement from the top down.

roonster09

Scout
100k/week for a proven midfielder with 0 transfer fee would not be totally dramatic for our club and him I guess.

He's on 60k/week now.
His demands are way higher than 100K per week, if it was he would have signed for Barca/Bayern long time back.

Ekeke

So comparing the passing of our midfielders this season :

http://stats.squawka.com/en/compari...423&s=101,103,104,105,106,108,109,117,111,113

Turns out Ander makes the most forward passes, least backwards and sideways passes of our starting 3. He does however make the least long passes, so his passes tend to be short ones while Pogba and Matic will go longer more often. However his average pass length is longer than Pogba or Matic.

Its Pogba, Fred then Ander for chances created. Ander 2nd most throughballs after Pogba and ahead of Fred. But Fred with the most crosses.

McTomminay is interesting as he makes the most passes per 90 minutes, but a lot of them are backwards and sideways, yet still more forward passes than Fred and Matic. Also he has the largest average range of pass.

Obviously Fred and McTominay's sample sizes are very small given they havent started even 10 league matches yet so their numbers are prone to the most change as they play more games.

With 5 matches more Ander's numbers are more reasonable but the same thing must be taken into account with Pogba and Matic playing 700-800 more mins. So probably Ander's numbers would come down slightly if he had played the same minutes.

However all of PSG's midfielders here have played about as much as Ander so thats good.

-

This should expel some of the mythos that Ander has no range of passing or doesnt find enough passes forward. He ranks well in those areas against his teammates and even PSG.

His passing numbers also come up favourably against Rabiot, other than total passes where Rabiot got on the ball more.

So hopefully now people can understand why PSG would want him.

Theres the obvious part off the ball as well, both Verratti and Paredes make a decent amount of tackles but PSG dont have someone who intercepts much. So Ander would be able to provide that for them, pressing in front of Verratti and intercepting the ball.

Bwuk

Oles interview seems to indicate there’s nothing wrong with Herrera and he doesn’t want to play while his contract is up in air.

Castia

Interesting from OGS on Ander Herrera continuing absence for @ManUtd: "Maybe the future might have been worrying him and maybe that is part of the reason why he is injured. Who knows? He doesn’t know why he is injured." Herrera out for WHU and Barca. Maybe back for Chelsea/City

fecking hell. Not great reading that, he's off isn't he.

roonster09

Scout
Oles interview seems to indicate there’s nothing wrong with Herrera and he doesn’t want to play while his contract is up in air.
Yeah, he said he will play him if he is available. He sort of implied Herrera is not fully focused with his future still undecided.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep, taking the NFL approach.

It's funny how people call Pogba the mercenary and Herrera the "stand up guy who gets the club", but then goes and pulls this :lol:

Oh well sod him. Fred / Mctominay deserve the game time now.

This is why I said he shouldn't play for us again this season, he's not committed. Give his minutes to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.