Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottosec

Good player and a fantastic person, but he needs upgrading if we are to challenge for the important trophies.

I don't think we should let him go, but it looks like it's out of our hands now.

Mick321

It'd be a shame to lose him for nothing, he's a good player. And for all the "we'll replace him easily" talk. Have you not seen the state of us in the transfer market? :lol: Obviously hopefully it's different now the prick has gone but i'll have to see it to believe it first.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He will go to PSG because he has a family to take care of. There's no way we are offering him that length of contract on that much. He will be 30 this year and he'll be stupid to refuse. Loyalty should play no part.
The club will be right in refusing to match PSG's offer but we should have sorted this out well over a year ago.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I know this is probably me being naïve but I don't see PSG and Ligue 1 being that attractive to an intelligent and highly competitive player like Ander.
Maybe at this stage of him career, and with one last big contract in him (can probably assume PSG are offering more money and 4 years going by the rumor), it's not the worst idea in the world? Great city, playing with big name players and guaranteed league titles/knockout round UCL participation?

Macern

Pee pee pants
I can’t see him leaving. He loves us and is loved by the fans. His friends Mata, DDG and Alvarez are here. He’s a potential future captain. We’ll match the PSG offer and he’ll extend with us.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Good player and a fantastic person, but he needs upgrading if we are to challenge for the important trophies.

I don't think we should let him go, but it looks like it's out of our hands now.
Like who? There aren’t bany better box-to-box players about. Maybe Goretzka, but I think he’s unobtainable. Perhaps Rabiot?

Sanche7

I can’t see him leaving. He loves us and is loved by the fans. His friends Mata, DDG and Alvarez are here. He’s a potential future captain. We’ll match the PSG offer and he’ll extend with us.
Nope we won't, at least I hope we won't

izec

Maybe at this stage of him career, and with one last big contract in him (can probably assume PSG are offering more money and 4 years going by the rumor), it's not the worst idea in the world? Great city, playing with big name players and guaranteed league titles/knockout round UCL participation?
Yeah, from his perspective, it makes sense if you ask me. I also think his family/wife will have a say in it. I can see this being very likely of him leaving, most people would.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Take the piss extending contracts and then get shafted when players leave. Our management with transfers both in and out is generally and relatively the worst in world football.

JMack1234

It'll be such a shame if goes and the board need to hang their heads in the shame that they've allowed this happen.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Please no, i have no kits with his name on them. My favorite player currently.

Sanche7

Like who? There aren’t bany better box-to-box players about. Maybe Goretzka, but I think he’s unobtainable. Perhaps Rabiot?
I think the problem with Herrera is that he's neither very creative nor a very good passed of the ball. He's very good at man marking players and is good defensively but I feel we should get someone who can contribute a bit more going forward, with the same energy and aggression. Then replace Matic with a mobile DM who can cover for Pogba and the new B2B. Or in other words re imagine our entire midfield.

Although I have just watched him on YouTube, I think Barella could be a very good replacement. He's better on the ball, better dribbler and has the same energy / aggression. He's just 22 and should be available for 50 million euros.

aganley

It'll be such a shame if goes and the board need to hang their heads in the shame that they've allowed this happen.
Poor PSG, we beat them in the CL now they want to try and get one over on us. Horrible club.

lsd

The Oracle
Not bothered we need to upgrade him anyway if we want to challenge for the top

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If this is true, it’s a no-brainer. He cant pass on that kind of offer, 4 years on 150K, with a better chance of winning things having been left to wait by the Glazer board...

Woodward is a stupid bastard though.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, from his perspective, it makes sense if you ask me. I also think his family/wife will have a say in it. I can see this being very likely of him leaving, most people would.
Yep. Footballers have a limited shelf life. So the attraction to PSG - especially if there's a big difference in wages/contract length being offered. He needs to think of his life after football as well. And it's not as if we've treated him exceptionally well during his time here. He's been in and out of the team, played different positions - but he's always remained professional.

I wouldn't begrudge him the move - even though I'd be delighted if he stayed. We can definitely "upgrade" him in that CM role, but as mentioned a few times in this thread, we have 4-5 other higher priority positions to fill.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I really do love Ander but I could see him leaving being a blessing in disguise. We need creativity and skill where he is currently playing. Is he good enough to start week in week out and compete for the league? His big asset is eliminating the other teams key players. I think that holds us back and leaves us a bit small time - other teams should be worrying about our key midfielders.

I would've preferred him to play in the Matic role but I think sometimes we can be guilty of putting round pegs into square holes and all that.

We need a creative CM to replace Ander and maybe a young understudy with Matic.

dove

Not bothered we need to upgrade him anyway if we want to challenge for the top
Recent history shows that we will probably "upgrade him" spending £50m and getting worse player than Ander is.

fergosaurus

Most other players and I'd agree with you. Like I said, I could be being naïve but it's just a gut feeling that he would choose to extend with us rather than go to PSG if similar deals are on the table. I don't think winning a no-mark league by 20 odd points would tempt him away. Their repeated history of choking in the CL won't be much of an enticement either.

If he's offered a better deal to go I'll not begrudge him. It's our own fault for letting it get to this stage. Let's hope De Gea doesn't follow suit or we're screwed.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I think the problem with Herrera is that he's neither very creative nor a very good passed of the ball. He's very good at man marking players and is good defensively but I feel we should get someone who can contribute a bit more going forward, with the same energy and aggression. Then replace Matic with a mobile DM who can cover for Pogba and the new B2B. Or in other words re imagine our entire midfield.

Although I have just watched him on YouTube, I think Barella could be a very good replacement. He's better on the ball, better dribbler and has the same energy / aggression. He's just 22 and should be available for 50 million euros.
The problem is that Pogba does so little defensive work that we need two other midfielders to cover for him. Meaning one defensive midfielder who stays back constantly, and another midfielder who can drop back to play next to the defensive midfielder when the team is defending. Obviously it’d be perfect if the ‘box-to-box’ player was creative as well, but I’m not sure if that player exists.

I’d love for us to have a proper passer of the ball. Real have Kroos, Juve have Pjanic, PSG have Verratti, City have multiple players, Barca have Rakitic. We don’t have this player. I’m talking about someone who is a very good and very consistent passer. Pogba isn’t that type of player because he’s so inconsistent with his passing. Look at how these players make themselves available at all times and always make the right decision on the ball. It gives their team a flow which we very often don’t have. The dream would be to buy a player who does this but also does enough defensive work to allow Pogba to express himself freely.

RD94

If Herrera is getting better offer than ours let him go.He is very overrated here.He cant pass,cant shoot and only passes sideways.Only thing where he is only good and not great is pressing.We need upgrade on that quickly.We could get Rabiot for free and thats it,problem solved.Rabiot can do all those things at a better level and if we want to get our club at higher level we need to behave like a big club and not be taken in a hostage contract situation.Let him go

Morpheus 7

You play it cheap and this can happen, United took a stupid risk before Christmas. He was free too leave for nothing and speak to other clubs. Another area we need to sort out. Mata is on huge wages and he should have been the upgrade. Herrera at the very least would be an exceptional squad player.

The contract situation at the club is a mess, bordering on Arsenal. We need to renew our better players. Giving Jones a big contract was ridiculous, he has hardly a big list of clubs breaking down the door for him. I think Herrera has had some amazing performances in a United shirt, especially in the bigger games. He's nowhere near as good as many think in here though, problem has always been consistentcy. Still think he'll be a loss for the team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Most other players and I'd agree with you. Like I said, I could be being naïve but it's just a gut feeling that he would choose to extend with us rather than go to PSG if similar deals are on the table. I don't think winning a no-mark league by 20 odd points would tempt him away. Their repeated history of choking in the CL won't be much of an enticement either.

If he's offered a better deal to go I'll not begrudge him. It's our own fault for letting it get to this stage. Let's hope De Gea doesn't follow suit or we're screwed.
100% this. I'd like to think he's still going to re-sign with us as well. Especially if we offer him a comparable deal.

Siorac

He will go to PSG because he has a family to take care of. There's no way we are offering him that length of contract on that much. He will be 30 this year and he'll be stupid to refuse. Loyalty should play no part.
The club will be right in refusing to match PSG's offer but we should have sorted this out well over a year ago.
I wouldn't blame him for going to PSG but this "he has a family to take care of" line is rubbish. He's almost certainly on more than a 100k a week. You can take care of dozens of families for that.

He can win a league title, live in Paris - those are perfectly understandable motivations. Wanting to earn even more money is understandable, too, but let's not pretend he actually needs it. It's money for the sake of it.

settembrini

He's been one of my favourite players since we signed him and is comfortably our 2nd best midfielder.

However I wouldn't be that devastated if he left. He turns 30 in the summer and his style of play means I think he will age badly. It's also impossible to begrudge someone who chooses a lucrative contract to boost his pension while he wins a bunch of silverware and lives in an incredible city.

In an ideal world we would sell Matic (who should never have been signed) and use Herrera as our DM with Pogba and another midfielder. But in the real world we will most likely be stuck with Matic and whoever we sign to replace Herrera will have a difficult job as he will be expected to do all the running, tackling, pressing etc that Matic and Pogba don't do. If we had a mobile and top quality DM like Herrera or Kante then we could get away with signing a more creative player this summer to help our attack, like Eriksen. But if our DM is going to be another year of Matic we simply have to sign a strong defensive player to continue to do his job for him.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Hopefully we can convince him to stay but if PSG are really offering him a 4 year contract that could be the difference maker as we'll be likely just offering him a 1+1 deal.

I read it was Valencia, Rojo and Sanchez (according to The Mirror though).
Those were the 3 I hear as well but Valencia seemed pretty redundant to be on the list given he's out of contract and pretty much already aknowledged he's leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.