Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Looks like it's over for him. Good luck for him in PSG but he shouldn't play for the rest of the season considering he has no more future here.
Agree, definitely need to give his minutes to Fred in particular

Castia

He's in a weird spot. We dont want to lose him but he will be a squad player and we cant be paying squad players (especially those reaching 30) 200k a week.

Good luck at PSG Ander.

Macern

Pee pee pants
He can be good at times, but way too inconsistent. We need someone other than Pogba who can provide some creativity, Herrera isn’t good enough in that aspect. Only 2 caps for Spain tells you that he isn’t exactly a world class midfielder. He’s 29 so won’t improve either. Good luck at PSG.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Very surprising PSG want him tbh, I guess they did sign Choupo-Moting though

tonnas

he is a good player but not a player that will win you league or games, we offered around 170k but he wanted the 200k..addios

kundalini

I like Ander and would happily have offered him another year, possibly two, on reasonable wages but if he leaves shortly before he turns 30, and we simply put McTominay in the team instead, that might easily work out better for us in the short to medium term, never mind the longer term. Scott needs games in order to improve, not just when there are injuries.

Last edited:

RedIan

He can be replaced by better imo. Good honest player but not a game changer. Mctominay may well step up to fiull his boots

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The reality is, if the club is serious about upgrading, one of the central midfielders had to go. More then likely it was either he or Matic or both. We are not going to pay a bench warmer 200k a week and we were already going to spend 50+ on a new midfielder.

RD94

Get rid.Never has been good enough for our first team,only as squad player.He played because there was no other option to play.Our recruitment was awful through the years and I hope this summer we learn from our mistakes and we sign better quality players and young ones not another Sanchez and Matic,declining players.There is no point in giving 200k or something around that sum for player who is 30 and doesnt have the quality we need in our midfield and giving that sum to squad player has even less sense or we need or want to make our squad to have no progress through the years.We must not be soft with contract renawals,no one is bigger than the club.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Interesting take. Is there more to the story than we think?

Devil may care

People are gassed off McTominay and Fred who did play well last night and had a couple of other good performances lately, but lets not get carried away, Ander would have still been a good player to have in this squad next season, and it sucks that we are losing him but keeping Matic and Young and still trying to keep Mata, all of whom offer a lot less.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Kinda agree with this. I like Herrera and would certainly have kept him but him leaving isn't the end of the world. My biggest problem with it is that it's another signing that needs to be made in what already needed to be a busy summer.

Devil may care

Kinda agree with this. I like Herrera and would certainly have kept him but him leaving isn't the end of the world. My biggest problem with it is that it's another signing that needs to be made in what already needed to be a busy summer.
You nailed it and I would add that we are also keeping players that are of much less use than him, primarily Matic and Young, that's where the frustration comes in.

gza the genius

You nailed it and I would add that we are also keeping players that are of much less use than him, primarily Matic and Young, that's where the frustration comes in.
Yep, it's not that Herrera himself is world class or anything it's just that he's much better than a few of the other players that are going to be sticking around. If we're going to be losing players he shouldn't be one of them.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

This 1000x and I dislike Delaney

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Just read a Paul Hirst piece in the Times. He says that the issue was that Herrera wanted the same wages as Fred, £160k a week, and United said no cos they think he's too old.

Can see Ander's perspective in thinking he's worth more to us than Fred.

Sylar

Just read a Paul Hirst piece in the Times. He says that the issue was that Herrera wanted the same wages as Fred, £160k a week, and United said no cos they think he's too old.

Can see Ander's perspective in thinking he's worth more to us than Fred.
Id do the same thing, and im a United supporter.

Greck

Is he still here? Yesterday shows we'll be fine. I can't remember when last our midfield was able to pass out of pressure so often. There's more to getting United than trying really really hard and giving good interviews or I'd be a United player too

Member 90887

THe's good, not what we should aim for in the first eleven, but he's certainly an excellent squad player. the problem is, he'd be too expensive to keep as a squad player.
You could argue that keeping him would prevent us from having to get a replacement. but if the club is trying to regulate salaries, which it looks like they are trying to do (trying to offload Sanchez as well). then we will benefit in the long term.

Plus, people, we don't know what the club is planning to do in the summer. IF we're aiming for a world class midfielder, maybe we want those wages for him as well.

It looks like Ole is couting on Scott + Fred will have his chances (we paid a lot for him).

So that leaves us with:

Scott, Fred, Matic, Pogba, Andreas + Ander ( a healthy midfield options in terms of numbers, but lacking in terms of quality).
Replacing Ander with a WC midfielder would put us in a great position and improve the quality.

Davie Moyes

Ander is a very good player to have in the squad. I can understand his situation in that he's been here 5 years and still on the same original wage of around 80k a week (I think - as reported). I don't like this policy of the club trying to save money by waiting until the very end to re-negotiate. This should be sorted ahead of the final year of contract. You can understand why he would be miffed if other players in the squad around his level are on twice as much as him. What would that tell you about how much the club values you. If he was not out of contract at end of season and Utd wanted to sell him they could get around 25m for him. If he's been on comparatively low pay for the last few years you can understand why he now may want to go where there is more money offered.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
THe's good, not what we should aim for in the first eleven, but he's certainly an excellent squad player. the problem is, he'd be too expensive to keep as a squad player.
You could argue that keeping him would prevent us from having to get a replacement. but if the club is trying to regulate salaries, which it looks like they are trying to do (trying to offload Sanchez as well). then we will benefit in the long term.

Plus, people, we don't know what the club is planning to do in the summer. IF we're aiming for a world class midfielder, maybe we want those wages for him as well.

It looks like Ole is couting on Scott + Fred will have his chances (we paid a lot for him).

So that leaves us with:

Scott, Fred, Matic, Pogba, Andreas + Ander ( a healthy midfield options in terms of numbers, but lacking in terms of quality).
Replacing Ander with a WC midfielder would put us in a great position and improve the quality.
If you replace Ander with a WC midfielder he will start, so Scott won't or Fred will miss out, which will make him a very expensive squad player. You would presume it would be Scott/WC midfielder/Pogba or WC midfielder/Fred/Pogba.

redshaw

He might be worth around 150k for a year extension but we do have Fred sat on the bench for 50 million plus the 160k a week and youth to play. I believe Fred is more creative and needs a chance.

I can understand him as he's become a starter again and putting in the work to help the team up to forth while on 75k I think. If he's going to be a starter for next year then he should be on decent wages if he's giving his all. Problem is Jose dropped him and the timing of this is messed up now. Should've been on a better deal a few years ago.

If Herrera doesn't want a 1-2 year extension with a bump in wages then we should let him go. If this PSG four year offer is genuine then please take their money Ander.

Member 90887

If you replace Ander with a WC midfielder he will start, so Scott won't or Fred will miss out, which will make him a very expensive squad player. You would presume it would be Scott/WC midfielder/Pogba or WC midfielder/Fred/Pogba.
Scott has a lot of time in front of him to succeed here and he's not ready to be a starter yet. he's just potential for now. but he'll get game time for sure.

Injuries and playing on multiple front would make it so everyone has a lot of game time.

Having said that, if said world class player puts Fred and or Scott on the bench or even Pogba, i'm all for it. It's Ole's headache.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's a shame as he's still arguably 1 of the first names on the team sheet, but if he wants to leave for a few extra quid and a guaranteed trophy then what can you do.

It's going to cost us a hell of a lot more than a few grand a week to replace him. All I can hope is that we've got a fantastic player like Ndombele already in the bag.

kps88

His replacement is McTominay. A quality midfield signing would have been needed even if he stayed with us.

Pace Abuser

I really don't blame him for taking the money at a still big club where you're playing with much better players.
I also think he isn't where we need to be. How we look back at this hinges on our summer business .

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I really don't blame him for taking the money at a still big club where you're playing with much better players.
I also think he isn't where we need to be. How we look back at this hinges on our summer business .
Exactly. If we don't get class players then we will still have a squad of players not capable of getting us where we need to be, need to be it the important word. I do not want United to become a fallen giant. It has happened to plenty of clubs. Money does not matter if you have bad judges spending it.

IrishRedDevil

Not ideal of course, but he could easily just sign the United deal now. This is a leak from Herrera's side to try point blame at the Club when he could easily accept United's offer now if he really wanted to stay. The money from PSG has turned his head and he wants to leave, its that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.