Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
People chat on here saying Ander is poor and just a runner with no talent yet rave about a midfield three of Liverpool who are mostly physical players.

Shame to see him go.

Zlatattack

It's a bit shit that the one guy who tries hard is leaving, but it's not the end of the world. If it was me I'd have kept him, he offers more than Matic and Fred.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In pure footballing terms losing Herrera isn't the end of the world.

The real problem is that it gives us another position we need to strengthen at a time when we already have multiple years worth of strengthening to do.

Also, Herrera was one of the relatively few players in our squad who didn't have some sort of question mark around his workrate and/or character. He would have been a good influence during what will be a few years of transition.

So a damn shame to see him go really.

Wanderlust_09

Losing Herrera, the only player who has performed consistently over the past few seasons of mediocrity and who gave us what was expected of him without being a world beater, makes me even more depressed for the next season.
Can't believe there are posters here who are happy to see him go in seeing him go and call him just a runner. He may not be world-class and a world class team need not be composed of 11 world class players. Managers who love pressing systems would take him in a heart-beat.
We are losing a nailed on starter whereas we continue to hold on to Matic, Pereira, Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Sanchez, Smalling, Young and overrated/past it/not-yet there players like Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Mata is plain criminal.

Good by Ander. You were a warrior and you were the fan on the field. Seeing you go makes me feel even more scared for the next season. We will miss you.

Losing Herrera, the only player who has performed consistently over the past few seasons of mediocrity and who gave us what was expected of him without being a world beater, makes me even more depressed for the next season.
Can't believe there are posters here who are happy to see him go in seeing him go and call him just a runner. He may not be world-class and a world class team need not be composed of 11 world class players. Managers who love pressing systems would take him in a heart-beat.
We are losing a nailed on starter whereas we continue to hold on to Matic, Pereira, Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Sanchez, Smalling, Young and overrated/past it/not-yet there players like Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Mata is plain criminal.

Good by Ander. You were a warrior and you were the fan on the field. Seeing you go makes me feel even more scared for the next season. We will miss you.
Ander hasn't been consistent that's why he's been in and out of the team for the past 5 seasons.

Last edited:

soapythecat

If he was chasing a 4 year contract, then I'm glad the club didn't bow to his demands. This has been really badly managed by the club and perhaps a 4 year contract could have been signed a season or two ago and we would still have a really good squad player on our hands.
He will be brilliant in Ligue 1 for PSG. Good piece of business by them if you ask me.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If he was chasing a 4 year contract, then I'm glad the club didn't bow to his demands. This has been really badly managed by the club and perhaps a 4 year contract could have been signed a season or two ago and we would still have a really good squad player on our hands.
He will be brilliant in Ligue 1 for PSG. Good piece of business by them if you ask me.
Exactly. Four years is silly now, but it wasn't a couple of years back, so he would still have two years to run. Terrible stuff.

Irwin99

He's 29, a four year deal would take him to 33. James Milner is putting in good shifts for Liverpool and he's 33. I don't see a problem with his age.

Part of this comes down to having no director of football and a lack of philosophy as Jose wanted to play a different style and clearly thought he had better options in midfield despite Ander being his best player in season 16/17. We're now (allegedly) transitioning to a higher energy/intensity system where Ander should be our first choice and Matic is pretty redundant. Letting things get to the point where he leaves on a free is just ridiculous but that's just how our club is run.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The real problem is that it gives us another position we need to strengthen at a time when we already have multiple years worth of strengthening to do.
Madness for some to be glad to see him go, when both the back 4 and forward positions have serious question marks on top of Pogba possibly leaving and Matic in decline.

Absolute madness.

ArjenIsM3

He's 29, a four year deal would take him to 33. James Milner is putting in good shifts for Liverpool and he's 33. I don't see a problem with his age.

Part of this comes down to having no director of football and a lack of philosophy as Jose wanted to play a different style and clearly thought he had better options in midfield despite Ander being his best player in season 16/17. We're now (allegedly) transitioning to a higher energy/intensity system where Ander should be our first choice and Matic is pretty redundant. Letting things get to the point where he leaves on a free is just ridiculous but that's just how our club is run.
Yeah or his legs go in two years time and we're stuck with him for two more years.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
:(

He’s going to be sorely missed. We better be spending some serious money this summer.

So latest figures are around the 135k mark. As several, well respected journalists have said, despite the claims many posters here, Ander wasn’t just moving for a bigger pay cheque. We’ve handled us situation so poorly.

Irwin99

Yeah or his legs go in two years time and we're stuck with him for two more years.
Again, James Milner isn't doing too bad. Ander's not had any serious career injuries and hasn't exactly been run into the ground season after season with us. A 4 year deal wouldn't have been that risky I don't think.

We're losing a good player with a good mentality (like Daley Blind) whilst letting some absolute dross stay at our club season after season.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Simply the best player we have had in the last 3 years.
Not just his effort. He is a damn fine footballer.
Two idiot managers did not know how to use him.
He played every match for Ole until he got injured against Liverpool.

Incompetence from Woodward in not tying him to a fair deal.

With Matic and Pogba our midfield was as good as anyone in the league. Now with Ander and Pogba gone as expected, we are left with an ageing Matic.
A complete rebuild is needed.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Not as shocking as Arsenal not offering Ramsey a new contract, but it is getting there.

DomM

Herrera leaves for free but we get to keep Jones, Young, Rojo and others on stupid contracts, where is the sense in any of that?

Jones and Young should be the first out of the door, they may show effort but they're simply not good footballers.

Rista

One of the main criticisms of the board is how they've handled contract renewals for average, older players but now everyone is saying they are incompetent morons for not giving him a big wage raise and a new 4 year contract when he's approaching 30. In isolation, it makes sense to give him what he wants but caving in to demands of these useful but nothing special squad players is not a smart idea in the long term. Then again, maybe I'm giving our board too much credit. Either way, he's easily replaceable, it just sucks that it has to be now.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

The FM generation would have you believe players become useless once they hit 28.

In reality, if they take care of themselves, avoid serious injuries, and have a coaching staff who manages their fitness well, players who don't heavily rely on pace can easily play at a high level until 33-34.

ArjenIsM3

Again, James Milner isn't doing too bad. Ander's not had any serious career injuries and hasn't exactly been run into the ground season after season with us. A 4 year deal wouldn't have been that risky I don't think.

We're losing a good player with a good mentality (like Daley Blind) whilst letting some absolute dross stay at our club season after season.
Milner sure but n=1 isn't much to go on. I could name Wayne Rooney as proof that his legs could be gone by then too. The truth is we can't know how long Ander can keep this up. A 2+1 deal would be very fair but IMHO a 4 year deal is risky. Though I agree with you we're losing a good player with a great mentality. Woody should have given him a new contract a year ago.

beergod

One of the few players in this squad that will be missed when they leave the club.

humdinger

Turns 30 in the Summer anyway, he probably has 2 years in him until he reaches Matic levels. Let's use this as a chance to change our midfield set up.
The problem is Matic is still here! We should be getting rid of the poor players, not the ones who might be poor in a couple of years.

Herrera is one of our most important players and now we have another position to fill.

-Supreme-

Ander hasn't been consistent that's why he's been in and out of the team for the past 5 seasons.
Exactly. I don't understand why he's so overrated on here.

He's just another expensive squad player, Mctominay is good enough to replace him.

RD94

He is a midtable club level not for someone who aspires to be a top side again and if he is that level of quality we need in our midfield than just forget any future progress.Easily replaceable.

Better to get rid now so we can invest in players who also can shoot and take a run with the ball forward and not just sign a new big contract to one another tidy,mediocre player which will took us just a step more into mediocrity with bunch other mediocre players.Just start rebuilding for the better future,not mediocre one

ExecutionerWasp001

Fair play to the guy. He'll win a few titles & might have a decent run in the CL. He was never as good as i thought he'd be. He knew how lucky he was to be playing for Utd & always gave his all unlike some of the Diva's we have now. The gobbing on the City crest showed real balls especially when you consider most of the current lot are scared of their own shadow.

It's stupid what the club is doing with "reverse incentives" i.e. penalising players when they don't make CL. The only thing that does it create an air of cutbacks and despondence.
These players are being given a chance to play for the biggest club in Britain & huge wages to boot. They might not like the owners, CEO, Manager. There is no excuse though for not achieving the bare minimum which is a top 4 finish. If they fail to perform there has to be consequences. If they don't face sanctions then they will take it that their performance levels are acceptable which in turn means the situation won't improve.

Ludens the Red

I'm going to repeat myself with a clarification.

It's stupid what the club is doing with "reverse incentives" i.e. penalising players when they don't make CL. The only thing that does it create an air of cutbacks and despondence.

We need to instead baseline players salaries lower and give them positive incentives for better performance.

The club is not only failing on the football side, they're also now seemingly taking poor business decisions.
It’s fairly bog standard to have a wage decrease in a contract. Most mid table sides have most of their players on wage deductions should they be relegated from the premier league. Makes perfect sense for a club of our stature to do the same for failing to qualify for the Cl.

Fridge chutney

Not as shocking as Arsenal not offering Ramsey a new contract, but it is getting there.
Our clubs are having similarly horrific and laugh-inducing seasons. Top 4 in our hands but failed due to comical run of form? Check. Losing an important midfielder for free? Check. Indication from board of low summer spending? Check. Major rival in CL final? Check. DoF drama? Check.

At least your season is salvageable with the Europa League.

OneUnited24

It’s amazing how so many united fans don’t rate him. Whenever he plays we actually look like a good outfit but yeah... all he does it run about a lot.

Only player who you feel appreciates the club and he’s heading out

passing-wind

It’s amazing how so many united fans don’t rate him. Whenever he plays we actually look like a good outfit but yeah... all he does it run about a lot.

Only player who you feel appreciates the club and he’s heading out

He puts in a good shift but he isn't good enough to be starting the number 8 position week in week out. He's too limited, the PSG home fixture is the perfect example of the quality that's needed. I plead with people to rewatch the full 90mins, we had our best starting 11 fit with Herrera included. Solskjaer comments after the game was that PSG were a level above, we lost the game in the midfield.

People comparing Milner, Henderson and co are undermining one important fact ..J.Klopp. Solskjaer is going to need better quality players because it's clear to see in 5 months coaching is clearly not one his strengths, our football under him has been pragmatic and tumescent. Klopp similar to Sir Alex can make the most out of average players because his implementation of a system caters around lack of quality. Pep to some degree is the same, how they won the league with Delph on the left flank is laughable.

The narrative always changes with fans, when Mourinho was in charge there was a concensus that this squad was of respective quality, Solskjaer came in and said in numerous conferences that the players he has at his disposal are quality. Now results have gone upside down, suddenly they are all rubbish with the exception of three individuals.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why do I keep seeing people saying "he'll be 30 soon" as if his legs are about to fall off? This isn't FM or FIFA career mode - players who take care of themselves and don't heavily rely on pace can easily play at a high level until 33-34.

Status
Not open for further replies.