Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No I'm not. :lol: I am glad for him. Just more worried about where this club is going to go, because without CL we might not get the quality we went this time. We had managers with a track record in the past, so could still sign players. Now I think the quality players will be wary of us. It will be interesting but risky.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
No I'm not. :lol: I am glad for him. Just more worried about where this club is going to go, because without CL we might not get the quality we went this time. We had managers with a track record in the past, so could still sign players. Now I think the quality players will be wary of us. It will be interesting but risky.
Well, for what its worth, I liked him too (perhaps for different reasons). As for worrying about the destiny of the club, well, yea... Best wishes anyway.

MrSingh2002

A goodbye video produced and released by the club? What the feck? This shouldn’t be a thing.
You're right. This was shocking. After listening to the 8 minute interview/speech.... I'm fecking fuming. Herrera completely changed the narrative here and it seems as though he's pointing towards the club not keeping him rather than him wanting to leave.

It would be very interesting to know the truth about how much Herrera wanted and United actually offered in salary.

We lose a dedicated and passionate Man United player. On the pitch he may be replaceable but off the pitch in this day and age a character like Ander is probably irreplaceable. Especially in a squad of young cnuts.

For what it's worth I'd happily the club pay him around 110-130k per week unless we have an able replacement coming in.

Patrick08

You're right. This was shocking. After listening to the 8 minute interview/speech.... I'm fecking fuming. Herrera completely changed the narrative here and it seems as though he's pointing towards the club not keeping him rather than him wanting to leave.
And it's exactly what has happened.

MrSingh2002

And it's exactly what has happened.
Except the club made an offer and Herrera could've accepted it.

Plenty of players over the years have turned down megabucks from abroad to play for the club. I'd understand if United offered considerably less than his market value but I won't go on hearsay of demands and offers to form an opinion. Clubs like PSG and Juve will always offer higher wages for players at the end of their contracts as they save millions on the transfer fees. Their salary offers are not indicators of a players true market value.

He could've stayed if he really wanted to. Perhaps United tried to use his loyalty against him in negotiations and if that was the case then I hope Young and Jones were also offered a reduced salary with their contract renewals.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If the reports are true that Herrera is asking for around 200k a week then we have dodged a bullet there

Just because the club have made mistakes by renewing Jones and Rojo contracts doesn't mean the rest of the average squad players should follow suit.
Herrera at 200k p/w, while still a tad too high, is a still better value for money than Jones and Young for 100k+ p/w.

If we don't have anyone in the Academy who can do what Young does for us on a weekly basis, then I'd be questioning the quality of our players.

Hell, Cameron Bothwick Jackson was a better full back for us.

nameischarles

Gutted that his going cause he would have been still serviceable through this transition period than Phil Jones or Ashley Young.

I can’t fault him for signing for big money with PSG because they dangled an offer he couldn’t refuse, our club definitely wasn’t going to match and for himself this could be his last big contract.

I’m sure will see more of Fred and Pereira next season unless we invest for someone better. Is there any players in the academy that’s up and coming in this position?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Herrera at 200k p/w, while still a tad too high, is a still better value for money than Jones and Young for 100k+ p/w.

If we don't have anyone in the Academy who can do what Young does for us on a weekly basis, then I'd be questioning the quality of our players.

Hell, Cameron Bothwick Jackson was a better full back for us.
For what its worth, it's only a rumour and funnily enough it includes bonuses and signing bonus while the supposed United offer of 170k doesn't. I'm not sure if the source is reliable though.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
For what its worth, it's only a rumour and funnily enough it includes bonuses and signing bonus while the supposed United offer of 170k doesn't. I'm not sure if the source is reliable though.
Yeah.

People like to talk about Sanchez getting 500k, yes that's a problem. But Young, Jones etc getting paid what they're getting paid is a travesty in itself.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Thank you for your commitment on the pitch and thats it. I wouldn't be shedding any tears on this .

Sp00ks11

Yeah.

People like to talk about Sanchez getting 500k, yes that's a problem. But Young, Jones etc getting paid what they're getting paid is a travesty in itself.
Agreed fully, the wages of absolute dross at the club is a real issue. Young and Valencia both on 100k plus, Lukaku 200k, Lingard 100k..

Madness.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Agreed fully, the wages of absolute dross at the club is a real issue. Young and Valencia both on 100k plus, Lukaku 200k, Lingard 100k..

Madness.
Then if we do sign anybody anywhere near class, what will they want. Unless it is a free, the fee will be high and the wages will be high, to replace a player we really don't need to be replacing. It is taking funds from elsewhere, or we will sign another project and people will be moaning about the midfield yet again.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah.

I argued that it was a bigger problem, partially because it makes our floor salaries higher and you have a lot more players on these lower wages. Sanchez is an exception and it includes bonuses, I'm actually scared to ask about these other players bonuses.

A good squad player, but never consistent. Problem is that he’s better than Fred and Matic... The merry-go-round of managers has probably led to him running down his contract.

Would have preferred him staying, but not overly concerned, except that we look really short of numbers in midfield. Pogba could go, wouldn’t be surprised if Matic did. Andreas must surely be off and Fred is crap. So, worst case scenario that leaves us needing to buy 3-4 midfielders to compliment Fred and McTomminey. That’s a pretty bad state of affairs.

lex talionis

he's been here for 5 years and has been part of a very mediocre team (in terms of title challenging teams). If he was that good, he'd have been starting every match and dominating midfield in whatever his strength is. He's done neither, nor do I really know what type of midfielder he is. Why should we keep mediocrity and pay them £200k p/w - maybe it's a club philosophy change to stop paying and we'll start to see more of the culls on players demanding £200k when I think only 1 player at spurs is on that and look where they are.

He's a nice guy and sad he's leaving, but I'm not losing any sleep over this at all.

Let's see what we do over the summer before we start to criticise who goes out.
Herrera is no Zidane, but for us he was far more than a “nice guy”. He gave a shit, which is more that can be said about most of the squad.

But what’s done is done.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Why wasn’t he sold once it became clear he won’t renew? Because the club is rich and not dependent on £30m or whatever he would have fetched last year?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why wasn’t he sold once it became clear he won’t renew? Because the club is rich and not dependent on £30m or whatever he would have fetched last year?
Ask those who were suggesting that it's fine that we're renewing with fecking Jones because otherwies he'd have gone on free and now we can actually sell him. (doesn't matter that nobody will want to buy this absolute crock of shite)

We need an rvn

Herrera is no Zidane, but for us he was far more than a “nice guy”. He gave a shit, which is more that can be said about most of the squad.

But what’s done is done.
Hey, I really liked the guy and it was obvious he got what the club stands for, what the fans expected etc etc - and that is definitely what we need our players to start getting again.

But just because a guy gets it, doesn't mean we should be giving him a massive contract when sadly he's just not as good as what a starting midfielder should be for a team wanting to win the title.

Best of luck to the guy at PSG though. He got his money, his longer contract and will win a league title or two in France to finish his career nicely

lex talionis

Hey, I really liked the guy and it was obvious he got what the club stands for, what the fans expected etc etc - and that is definitely what we need our players to start getting again.

But just because a guy gets it, doesn't mean we should be giving him a massive contract when sadly he's just not as good as what a starting midfielder should be for a team wanting to win the title.

Best of luck to the guy at PSG though. He got his money, his longer contract and will win a league title or two in France to finish his career nicely
Herrera holds up pretty well against most of Liverpool's midfielders, against most of Chelsea's midfielders. I'll concede Herrera wouldn't get regular starts for City and maybe not Spurs either, but he's certainly good enough to make their squads.

But from everything we've read it does appear to come down to a wage decision, which in and of itself is reasonable. But what makes that wage decision exasperating to those of us who rate Herrera as a footballer is that he's let go on a wage decision while a truly insane wage was given to Sanchez and contract extensions were given to Smalling and Jones. I cannot get my head around agreeing to give Sanchez an insane wage and keeping Smalling and Jones but letting go our best outfield player over the last five seasons, a player who is still only 29 who shows no evidence of going into decline.

But it is what it is. Hopefully Ole will have answers to backfill the loss of a very good midfielder and a footballer who could have taught the next crop of new first teamers a thing or two about how to be a professional footballer for United.

Houdini

Gutted. He was one of my favourite players. He had great workrate and was one of our best midfielders. Best of the luck Ander. We need to be careful with buying star players. We should buy young and determined players instead of star-prima donnas. Look at Ajax and learn.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
People are mad that we signed Alexis to the ridiculous wages we did but are upset we didn’t pay up to keep Herrera.

Which way do people want it because you can’t pick both sides. £300k for a fringe starter :lol:

Look at what Evra said on the Sky interview with Neville. When a player starts thinking about United only for the money, that’s when they’re not fit to even be in the conversation to be a Red. Don’t get me wrong money is a big thing but United should never be used to start bidding wars or demand more than a players worth...if that’s the case, sayonara.

Loublaze

ATLien
PSG are getting rinsed. Their management is as bad as United's. A few of their fans are already starting to question this signing. 300k! Good for him.

arthurka

He could have been tied down for 150k two years ago. We handled this badly. But getting 300k all the credit to him, enjoy the Parisian Circus. Its probably better than the doom and gloom at Utd.

SAFMUTD

I don't think they'll pay him 300K, I like Herrera but even being a free player thats a ridiculous number for a player of his quality. If true he would become the third highest paid player in PSG just after Neymar and Mbappe, and above players like Di Maria, Cavanni, Alves, Verratti, Thiago Silva, etc. I think they'll pay him something around 200K per week.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He would be mad to refuse that if those wages are true. I believe players like Iniesta, etc. went to China for less, and Paris is hardly China.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He would be mad to refuse that if those wages are true. I believe players like Iniesta, etc. went to China for less, and Paris is hardly China.
Iniesta is paid lot more than what Herrera is getting. There are reports that he gets around 23 million pounds per year.

I don't think they'll pay him 300K, I like Herrera but even being a free player thats a ridiculous number for a player of his quality. If true he would become the third highest paid player in PSG just after Neymar and Mbappe, and above players like Di Maria, Cavanni, Alves, Verratti, Thiago Silva, etc. I think they'll pay him something around 200K per week.
Might unsettle the dressing room, next season is gonna be interesting.

RedDevil@84

When all the dust settles, we will probably hear that his wages are something around 150k at PSG. Though it wouldn't stop people from claiming that it is not real wages and PSG is paying their players outside of the books.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It does seem a bit odd.
Most likely he played us a bit as we obviously did offer a deal?
Maybe we just presumed we'd sort it and late on were caught out by psg and their ridiculous offer

crossy1686

career ending
When all the dust settles, we will probably hear that his wages are something around 150k at PSG. Though it wouldn't stop people from claiming that it is not real wages and PSG is paying their players outside of the books.
Despite reports being that he's paid £300k???

He didn't want to stay and followed the money, there's nothing wrong with that but let's just accept it shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.