Anderson | 2013/14 Performances (on loan at Fiorentina)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
I see no harm in keeping him as a squad player, even if we sign a couple of midfielders. I doubt he's on huge wages, and while he's under contract we might as well have him in and around the squad. It's not like we're going to get a substantial fee for selling him.

The point about a Moyes pre-season is interesting. Do we think Moyes will bring an extra level of fitness to our current players? If so, a fit Anderson would be an interesting prospect.

If his Everton sides are anything to go by, most definitely.

The Neviller

It would be cool if a mod was able to add a poll to the thread?

As much as I love Ando's character, it's time for him to move on. Every season it feels like "this could be his year" - & in the end t's contributed to us not strengthening that area IMO.

If he finds the right team, league, playing style etc, he could be a huge hit there but each season with us thus far has been blighted by injury, poor form etc. bit unlucky but tough
What if we improved our midfield options and weren't relying on him to be the difference, but purely a squad player?

The Neviller

If his Everton sides are anything to go by, most definitely.
Were Everton a noticeably fitter team than United over recent seasons? Has our fitness training been lacking in recent years?

Or do they just play a different type of football to us, where fitness and running a lot is more important and stands out more?

I'm not sure I buy that Manchester United players have been lacking in fitness and stamina under the watch of SAF.

Varun

Staff
Were Everton a noticeably fitter team than United over recent seasons? Has our fitness training been lacking in recent years?

Or do they just play a different type of football to us, where fitness and running a lot is more important and stands out more?

I'm not sure I buy that Manchester United players have been lacking in fitness and stamina under the watch of SAF.

We always have had more of the ball and are the team that sets the pace when compared to Everton so its tough to second guess how much he'l change but Everton definitely looked a more hardworking team without the ball than us. They press much higher and with more intent than us for a change which requires that much more fitness.

Moyes's fitness regimes pre season have been well documented here, fair to say it should be tougher than what we had under SAF.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I worry that he'd work them too hard and they might fade done squeaky bum time. Ferguson had that peak time down to an art.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I wouldn't be particularly bothered if we got rid of him at this stage. He's a player I really thought had a lot of potential back years ago after his first season, but his injury problems coupled with the fact that he hasn't really improved means he's probably never going to be good enough to be a regular. I wouldn't complain if we kept him around as backup but I don't see him ever being anything more than that.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I'd get rid. He's had ample chances. It is a bit sad because he seems a fun character and seems to love the club, but it would be the best for both sides if he left IMO.

I also think he takes playing time from some of the younger players. He's featured in the CC and pointless UCL games when perhaps a younger player could've gotten a game.

gza the genius

I don't really care either way. I don't actively want him to leave (unless his staying in some way impedes on us signing another midfielder) but I won't be sad to see him go either. If we're relying on him in any way then it is a mistake though, I think he's pretty clearly proven that trusting him to stay consistently fit isn't going to happen.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It depends how our midfield will be shaped after summer transfer window.

If recent news about our pursues will happen to be accurate, there may be not much space for Ando to get reasonable amount of games but that's just one option among many.

If he's happy about his rotation squad player role, then I'm happy to have him in our team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What if we improved our midfield options and weren't relying on him to be the difference, but purely a squad player?
Sorry for the late response bro, just got home.

I wanted to add that "disclaimer" in there - if he was willing to be a bit part player etc, then I wouldn't mind him tbh but considering his age, the money & time we've spent on him - shouldn't both Ando & United expect a bit more than that?

I really like his character. He's a fighter & he's not fazed by any occassion - he's got the right spirit for our club but it's getting to that point where his fitness & even possibly "discipline" (lazy trainer etc) might not be enough to make him reah that next level.

So in summary, I think it's best for united & his career to move on.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Not really bothered anymore regarding Ando. He has got the talent, but is injured far too often to utilise it, and the team can't keep waiting for him to come good and use him as a regular fixture in the side when he keeps breaking down. If he stays, i bet next season will just go the same way of the last 6.

Amir

What is the cost to our team of having him in the squad?
I just don't see the point. He's not good and consistent enough to be first choice, he's injured too many times to be considered reliable back up. I hope we move away from that. Have players who are either good enough or have a better chance of using a backup role to improve and hopefully become first choice.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
His 3rd "Last Chance" season in a row took an identical route to the previous two. Some bright games giving a flicker of hope but mostly shadowed by the fitness concerns and injury troubles.

Is there some law where players not functioning at full ability and potential must move onto another club asap?
If he is happy continuing his rehabilitation and attempting to boost his fitness levels by playing whatever games he can then I don't really see why there is a need to move him on. He's a handy squad player and he still has plenty to give back in terms of ability and industry.

In this age of FM muppetry it's great to have a player who is enjoying his time at the club and brings an air of joviality to what he does even if he has not developed to the fans expectations.

Moby

Dick
"Do I want him to stay" ?

Yes. Because firstly we don't have many options as of now and even if he is fit for 10 games and that happen to be at a time when we are need of CMs due to injury, he'd be important and secondly I don't think he's gonna fetch a lot of sum in transfer.

Should he stay is a different story and to that the answer is no. Mainly because of fitness because in the last couple of years he's done fairly well at times specially in terms of creativity and passing he's looked good. But we shouldn't be relying at a player who has no regards for his fitness and goes injured every now and then and isn't the best in terms of impact when fit. If we have a replacement lined up, he should definitely be sold.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He's had more than enough time. He's decent when he wants to be, but constant injuries mean he'll never become the player we all wanted. Get rid.

manutddjw

I want Anderson to stay, although the biggest reason being I like his personality like I did with Forlan, admittedly isn't a very good reason. On the football side of things, there are very few teams we'd play against where if I saw his name on the teamsheet I'd cringe and fear the worst. Not saying he's great or anything, but I do feel like Anderson can hold his own (at least for 70 minutes) and contribute to the team.

I do sense some people feel that if we got rid of Anderson, we'd suddenly feel the need to buy a midfielder which is atop everybody's agenda and is a big reason why people are so insistent that he leaves. I never bought the argument that players like Anderson, Fletcher, Giggs and Scholes being in the squad was somehow stopping us from buying a top midfielder. Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck off a great first season and Berbatov who easily could've been convinced to stay didn't stop our pursuit of Van Persie nor did having Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans and Smalling stop us from buying Jones.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I want Anderson to stay, although the biggest reason being I like his personality like I did with Forlan, admittedly isn't a very good reason. On the football side of things, there are very few teams we'd play against where if I saw his name on the teamsheet I'd cringe and fear the worst. Not saying he's great or anything, but I do feel like Anderson can hold his own (at least for 70 minutes) and contribute to the team.

I do sense some people feel that if we got rid of Anderson, we'd suddenly feel the need to buy a midfielder which is atop everybody's agenda and is a big reason why people are so insistent that he leaves. I never bought the argument that players like Anderson, Fletcher, Giggs and Scholes being in the squad was somehow stopping us from buying a top midfielder. Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck off a great first season and Berbatov who easily could've been convinced to stay didn't stop our pursuit of Van Persie nor did having Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans and Smalling stop us from buying Jones.

He has the 'potential' to be a starter here but how long does it take before potential stops being the word to describe him. He is 25 now he needs to get his bulkiness and get fit but we have been saying that for years now. He is a fan favourite but we need players who help us win in some way or another. I would give him another season see what he does I see him mainly being a squad player but perhaps he surprises us.

Ringo 07

As lovable as he is...I'd love to see the back of him...sick notes are not worth it as hargreaves, owen etc have proved over the years

Moriarty

What would we gain by moving him on? I can't see us getting much for him, and we're thin in CM as it is.

I think that we'll continue to keep him in hope that he'll at least turn out to be a good squad player.
I don't think a club of United's stature should do that. He's had ample time to show the club and the fans that he's capable of nailing down a regular spot, but despite our shortcomings in midfield, he hasn't been able to do that. Why not promote Powell if we're going down that road, in the hope that he'll do the job?

I like Ando and really did hope that he'd make it here but for now, he's occupying a valuable squad place that could go to another more reliable player.

manutddjw

He has the 'potential' to be a starter here but how long does it take before potential stops being the word to describe him. He is 25 now he needs to get his bulkiness and get fit but we have been saying that for years now. He is a fan favourite but we need players who help us win in some way or another. I would give him another season see what he does I see him mainly being a squad player but perhaps he surprises us.
Oh I've long given up hope of him being anything more than a squad player. I'd imagine we'll keep the rotation policy with Moyes because with the size of our squad it would be illogical not to and with that being the case, Anderson would still be useful and like I said there are very few teams I'd worry about him starting against.

Sam

I haven't read this thread yet, but I'm presuming there's lots of talk about his 'potential' and how 'if it wasn't for injuries he'd be fantastic' or how he just 'needs some luck'...am I onto something?

mlclauhk

I think we've honestly seen the best he's had to offer. He came with huge potential, which he hasn't lived up to.

If he's going to be taking up wages, which could otherwise be used to attract the likes of Thiago, I think we should be receptive to offers.

Cina

Saying he should stay because he's a good character in the dressing room has only confirmed what a waste of space he's become.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Am not really sure what kind of team he would be suited for.

His stamina issues will affect him even more at lesser clubs who have to work harder to compensate for the technical and talent deficit they have to account for.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Good thing about getting a new manager is that everybody starts again. New manager usually has new ideas and new preference in players and formation. I think he should stay one more season and see if things improved or not for himself.

Ekeke

Thing is I wouldnt be surprised if Moyes was already sure about him one way or another just from him playing plenty in the premier league and/or matches against Everto

He could easily end up staying as a backup far down the pecking order. But then it'd be up to him what he wants to do with his career. Some players will want more first team oppertunities than that and unfortunately Anderson has done very, very little to earn those.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Good thing about getting a new manager is that everybody starts again. New manager usually has new ideas and new preference in players and formation. I think he should stay one more season and see if things improved or not for himself.

No, the player has bad habits that he can't get out of and has spent half his united career or more on the treatment table. New surroundings is whats needed, in a slower league so his fat ass can handle the pace.

Varun

Staff
No, the player has bad habits that he can't get out of and has spent half his united career or more on the treatment table. New surroundings is whats needed, in a slower league so his fat ass can handle the pace.

Odd thing to say. I'd say his game is very suited to the league. Lots of power and drive from CM, can go past players etc.

The problem is with his fitness, not with his style not suiting the league. He's been really unlucky with injuries though, every bloody season.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
For me, Andersons time is up. He has been here for what, 5 years? When he signed I (and many others) had big hopes for him. His potential has always been very high but he has not progressed at all since he has been at the club.
Unfortunately he seems to be another of the "party animal" Brazilians whose attitude is not good enough to ever fully reach his potential and make it in the very top tier of clubs.

I suspect if he moved to a lower pressure environment, in Europes 2nd tier of clubs (the likes of Spurs, At. Madrid etc) he would do very well, and this would probably be the best move for all concerned.

If we were going to sign 2 CMs anyway, then I wouldnt be at all fussed by Anderson staying, but at the moment he is deadwood, and if that is an obstacle to us signing new CMs then he must go.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
For me, Andersons time is up. He has been here for what, 5 years? When he signed I (and many others) had big hopes for him. His potential has always been very high but he has not progressed at all since he has been at the club.
Unfortunately he seems to be another of the "party animal" Brazilians whose attitude is not good enough to ever fully reach his potential and make it in the very top tier of clubs.

I suspect if he moved to a lower pressure environment, in Europes 2nd tier of clubs (the likes of Spurs, At. Madrid etc) he would do very well, and this would probably be the best move for all concerned.

If we were going to sign 2 CMs anyway, then I wouldnt be at all fussed by Anderson staying, but at the moment he is deadwood, and if that is an obstacle to us signing new CMs then he must go.
We all assumed the plan was for him to replace Scholes, if not exactly, then as a first team player evolving into a player suitable to partner Carrick. That plan went so badly, poor Scholes had to come out of retirement!

We have to look at his position in our squad in that context ... and likeable though he maybe, he has plainly not delivered against our objective. Lucky for him, he has enjoyed the ride and amassed winning medals and memories aplenty ... but if we keep him, he becomes a passenger whom the club has to carry, he does nothing to enhance our capability.

Sadly it did not work out, he does not have what it takes to be a top level Manchester United player. We have sold plenty of players better than him... its best for him and the club to part ways.

In my opinion, an established talent should replace him, giving us Carrick and Cleverley to rotate in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.