Anderson - is he the 'real deal'? | Retires age 31

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think it was career mismanagement on his part to accept our offer. He knew he wouldn't be the main man with Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes and Giggs here. He knew it would be hard for him to start as a winger or as a number 10.

Ferguson basically saw him play and thought ''Wow what a wonderful talent I need to sign him! But there is no place here in his position, so I will sucessfully turn him into a defensive midfielder...''

If Anderson had moved to a team built around him which allowed him to play as he used to, he could have been a better player.
I actually think exactly the opposite. I think he lucked out joining a very good team under the best manager in the world. He won far more than his effort and dedication merited.

There was something about him that was like able but his application was appalling and he wasted his talent.

He never looked in shape but was allowed to contribute by a manager who valued his potential and the fact he wasn’t a trouble maker. Ferguson would always give time to those squad players who respected him.

I think any other big team would have thrown him out when it became apparent that he lacked discipline with his weight.

Im sure he will be happy about what he achieved, but he won’t be remembered as a great player, he will be remembered as a fun character, and that’s down to him.

Luke1995

I actually think exactly the opposite. I think he lucked out joining a very good team under the best manager in the world. He won far more than his effort and dedication merited.

There was something about him that was like able but his application was appalling and he wasted his talent.

He never looked in shape but was allowed to contribute by a manager who valued his potential and the fact he wasn’t a trouble maker. Ferguson would always give time to those squad players who respected him.

I think any other big team would have thrown him out when it became apparent that he lacked discipline with his weight.

Im sure he will be happy about what he achieved, but he won’t be remembered as a great player, he will be remembered as a fun character, and that’s down to him.
I had never looked at it from that angle. His career trajectory after United gives strenght to your point...

Went to Fiorentina but could barely feature. Then, because no other european club wanted him, returned to Brazil at 26/27 and somehow ended relegated to brazilian second division with a team that had never been relegated (Internacional)

Then, when Internacional didn't want him anymore, he joined a smaller brazilian team in Coritiba and hardly lasted a season there. Then in 2018 no brazilian clubs wanted him and at just 30, was somewhat forced to accept a turkish offer...

Then he couldn't even play regularly there...

But I will forever say that he had an insane amount of talent...

MrEleson

The window where we signed Nani and Anderson was the most hyped I've ever been by any of our transfers, mostly because I'd never seen them play but had heard they were brilliant. Even with one of them having been disappointment and the other a total failure, it's still a nice memory.
Echoed my thoughts. When i saw the link to Anderson on skysports news and saw that he was brazilian, had long hair and was an attacking midfielder, I instantly got excited as it immediately reminded me of Ronaldinho even though I never saw him play.

Then Nani, instantly reminded me of Ronaldo. I was confident the club would take every trophy the following season after that.

Le Red

Crap from start to finish. His reputation was born out of the most unexplainable goal I have ever seen and from there, he was the "new Ronaldinho".
His spell with us marked by misplaced passes, bad positioning and lack of end product.
I think some of you have a soft spot for his character, which makes you overlook the fact he was never special or very promising, but frankly, in Brazilian football there's at least one Anderson in every team, so I can't find the same amusement as you guys do.
Best I can say for him is thank you for not missing that penalty vs Chelsea. Most dreadful pen I've ever seen that went in but luck is a good thing to have.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Unbelievable how patient fans were with him. He lived long off a few decent games.

Ace Krampus

Walk a mile in his shoes before you criticise him. Especially from his early life to where he got himself. He has won a CL and a couple of PL titles, while playing for the biggest club in the world. It's not only Anderson but even Nani regressed after the departure of Carlos Quiroz. It's not coincidence that they regressed after the coming of Phelan. I have stated that even at that time this is happening. Different players react to different situations differently.
Don't know I can agree with that, fella. For my money, peak Nani was 2010/11, he was on another level that season, also great the following season and then really fell off a cliff.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's so forgettable I don't even remember anymore where it went wrong with him. Didn't he start well in 11/12? What happened then?

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
if he was as bad as some people here are saying, he wouldnt have stayed almost 10 years

Djemba-Djemba

I always felt like Frank "Grimey" Grimes from the Simpsons with him on here.

He was this unprofessional fat waster that coasted along on the coat tails of the other players and yet he ended up with loads of medals and loads of posters on here talking about how much they loved him.

Used to drive me mental. How he managed to steal a wage from Utd up until 2014 is remarkable.

Andersonson

Character, liked him as a person. Seemed loved by the players aswell. Think he brought a lot of laughs to the dressing room.

He's lucky that he ended up here, because he wasnt really much of a footballer at the highest level. When everybody realized it was just a talent and nothing more he was done.

I bet he enjoys life now and is smiling on the beach somwhere. Atleast I hope so. Seemed a cool bloke who just got lucky.

Shark

@NotShark
He always looked half decent pre season and then it all went to shite. The definition of a fraudulent player and talent being just an illusion.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Anderson is a partner in a company that negotiates buying and selling of cryptocurrencies, according to the article.

"I, Anderson Luis de Abreu Oliveira, come to the public to clarify.

I brought a lifetime of resources to do business in the state I love. Despite the difficulties he has been experiencing, I want to continue doing business here, as I believe and am proof that a poor boy with no education can win in life by working and working hard.

I have known and invested in the cryptocurrency market for four years. I invested more heavily in 2019 in bitcoin. I bought with declared money as proof and income tax.

Since then, I have been on the market buying and selling these cryptocurrencies to earn money and also because I like technology. For this, I bought a stake in the company House Tecnologia Ltda, which makes purchases and sales when appropriate.

One of our companies was related to a subject that we did not deserve and today, because of that, I received the police at my residence with the cordiality that is deserved. I have nothing to hide. Our values are the result of my work and are duly stated.

I thank the authorities for the dignified treatment I was subjected to and everyone who knows what I am and how grateful I am to Rio Grande do Sul. So much so that I will continue to invest and give jobs as much as I can.

I come to clarify with extract below our investments in 2019 only in a cryptocurrency company. Therefore, we need not consciously do something wrong.

I clarify by the hour (sic) that we were involved without deception (intention), but we sold what was ours and believed we were getting paid, as we did the normal operation as usual.

The big loss is being ours ... But it shouldn't be. "

Shark

@NotShark
if he was as bad as some people here are saying, he wouldnt have stayed almost 10 years
Yeah because we don't have a terrible record of holding onto utter thrash for far too long. Just look at some of the players stealing a living in our current squad.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Crap from start to finish. His reputation was born out of the most unexplainable goal I have ever seen and from there, he was the "new Ronaldinho".
His spell with us marked by misplaced passes, bad positioning and lack of end product.
I think some of you have a soft spot for his character, which makes you overlook the fact he was never special or very promising, but frankly, in Brazilian football there's at least one Anderson in every team, so I can't find the same amusement as you guys do.
Best I can say for him is thank you for not missing that penalty vs Chelsea. Most dreadful pen I've ever seen that went in but luck is a good thing to have.
He won the golden boy though, and was quite promising at the beginning.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I seriously thought him and Cleverley would be our midfield mainstay for years at one point. No wonder I suck at draft games :lol:
That 8-2 game against Arsenal where Anderson and Cleverley bossed a midfield 3, there was a lot of hope sprung from that game.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
That 8-2 game against Arsenal where Anderson and Cleverley bossed a midfield 3, there was a lot of hope sprung from that game.

Those were crazy crazy times, I remember there was a time when people believed Nani would be better than Cristiano for United based on some stats where it was stated that Nani has more goals+assists number in his first 100 games for United compared to Cristaino.

I loved those times under SAF, when the club and fans had believe, now we are ao skeptical, even if we have Messi-CR-Lewa as front three, midfield of Verrati-Kante-DeBruyne and back of Liverpool, in our team, coached by Pep, we would still be cynical haha.

Suv666

How good was Fergie. Unbelivable how much we won with mediocre players like Anderson, Cleverly, Nani etc. I miss him so much.

Verbalkint

But I will forever say that he had an insane amount of talent...
I remember early comparisons between Anderson & Fabregas. Some favored our man over Cesc back then!. Anyway he was a good character to have, his driving runs were great to watch and i remember the spunk he had. He was part of one of the greatest United sides ever and can proudly take that to the grave.

edcunited1878

He never got to play like he did his first season at United and I thinking winning CL and PL his first year really went to his...waistline. He had a notoriously bad diet and never was the same physically compared to his first year. And Cleverley was chopped down by Davies or the Bolton captain who injured him quite badly...but he still won the league by partnering Carrick! Cleverley is Harry Winks like...tidy, can pass a little, but solid and a catalyst for better players around him.

Charlie Foley

I remember early comparisons between Anderson & Fabregas. Some favored our man over Cesc back then!. Anyway he was a good character to have, his driving runs were great to watch and i remember the spunk he had. He was part of one of the greatest United sides ever and can proudly take that to the grave.
He was often like kryptonite to Arsenal’s midfield. That doesn’t mean he was better than Cesc. He was also great at Anfield his first season.

Anyway, he is a part of some wonderful memories. 4 league titles and a champions league

Verbalkint

He was often like kryptonite to Arsenal’s midfield. That doesn’t mean he was better than Cesc. He was also great at Anfield his first season.

Anyway, he is a part of some wonderful memories. 4 league titles and a champions league
Agreed :). That penalty in Moscow was something else. Smashed it and followed with a display of passion. I think Sir Alex mentioned this as well.