Music Anderson .Paak

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Got excited wondering why this was bumped. Hope he brings out a new album soon.

Not seen him live yet but it's on my list.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yep I love that album. Reminds me of a whole time in my life.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm kinda worried about the new album. Tints wasn't terrible but it wasn't amazing either, very generic for Paak.

Also I think Dr. Dre is a shit producer in terms of beats (ironic) so it's worrying to see he basically helped with the whole thing. Though I also see Madlib helped out and that gives me more hope.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I like him a lot, but I don't love him as much as everyone else seemingly does.

This new album is great so far though - i'm sure it'll grow on me more.
I think the previous beats were too jazzy.

Wait the Snoop track just came on, and i've got goosebumps :drool::drool:

Art

Art the artist
YES LAWD. I think both Pusha And Cole did a great job featuring in this.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Didn't like the first few tracks but the album finished strongly, will listen to it again see if it grows on me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Malibu was excellent. Don't know about anything else he's done.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Is good

A lot of his stuff is pretty samey tbf, and this is generally more of that, but it’s at least a vibe I like a lot

The Snoop one feels like a lost Chronic track (for obvious reasons)

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Doesn't seem to be on Google Play Music, is there some kind of bloody Apple exclusive for a while or something?

Mockney

Is on iTunes and Spotify .... and YouTube

If I’m being nitpicky, I’m kinda disappointed that it’s so similar to Malibu and the NxWorries stuff. Which is odd, cos I really like all that stuff (and I still like this) but I always want artists I like to progress a bit with each record.... not too much!... But a bit.

I’m loving the blaxploitation vibe on The Chase though. I’m always a sucker for that kind of instrumentation.

Last edited:

Aint gota Kalou

Is on iTunes and Spotify .... and YouTube

If I’m being nitpicky, I’m kinda disappointed that it’s so similar to Malibu and the NxWorries stuff. Which is odd, cos I really like all that stuff (and I still like this) but I always want artists I like to progress a bit with each record.... not too much!... But a bit.

I’m loving the blaxploitation vibe on The Chase though. I’m always a sucker for that kind of instrumentation.
I think it definitely sounds different to Malibu, less live instrumentation and definitely more Dre influenced. More rap focused. I don't think I like it as much, last 2 tracks are an awful way to close it. Rest of it is good.

If you get the chance to see him live, you have to. One of the best live performers out there atm.

bleezy

After just one listen, I thought it was good but not incredible. Songs got better as the album went on. The Snoop verse was brilliant and I liked the Cole one too. I imagine it'll grow on me the more I listen to it.

Skits of rappers getting head in a car should have died in the 90s, however.

Mockney

If you get the chance to see him live, you have to. One of the best live performers out there atm.
I have done. And it's part of why I've formed that (admittedly quite nitpicky) opinion. He's a great warm up act (I saw him on the same bill as NERD and Gambino - and he was way better than NERD) and he has a great mid-set party piece as the Hip Hop Dave Grohl, but what he's missing is that one two three hit of really big BIG bangers to round his set off...

The only reason Gambino is a much bigger musical draw than him, despite having reasonably no more or less good full albums as him, is that Anderson can’t start, hold and end a set with bangers like Me & Your Mama, Redbone & This is America ... he could, and it’s maybe even fair to say his general output is better. But he doesn’t have anything that peaks as high... that’s what disappoints me about this album.

But I am admittedly being a nitpicky bitch, tbf.

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I have done. And it's part of why I've formed that (admittedly quite nitpicky) opinion. He's a great warm up act (I saw him on the same bill as NERD and Gambino - and he was way better than NERD) and he has a great mid-set party piece as the Hip Hop Dave Grohl, but what he's missing is that one two three hit of really big BIG bangers to round his set off...

The only reason Gambino is a much bigger musical draw than him, despite having reasonably no more or less good full albums as him, is that Anderson can’t start, hold and end a set with bangers like Me & Your Mama, Redbone & This is America ... he could, and it’s maybe even fair to say his general output is better. But he doesn’t have anything that peaks as high... that’s what disappoints me about this album.

But I am admittedly being a nitpicky bitch, tbf.
Despite the slight NERD diss (they’re my favourite band ever) this is a great point.
Any time someone asks me what Anderson Paak song they should listen to, I struggle to either remember names of tracks or pick out an individual stand out track - so I just say ‘listen to the Malibu album!’ And I know they won’t.

Dante

Average bang
I'm loving it!

Malibu and Yes Lawd! have been on my regular rotation over the last few years. This one is definitley gonna join them.

Mockney

Despite the slight NERD diss (they’re my favourite band ever) this is a great point.
Any time someone asks me what Anderson Paak song they should listen to, I struggle to either remember names of tracks or pick out an individual stand out track - so I just say ‘listen to the Malibu album!’ And I know they won’t.
I suppose Come Down would be the closest to a recognisable .Paak banger?

* I did mean live, tbf, not in general. Or at least on that day at any rate. Hit wise NERD are objectively better than both at present. But Pharrel just kinda walked around the stage lazily, whereas .Paak and Gambino were both really good showmen.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

* I did mean live, tbf, not in general. Or at least on that day at any rate. Hit wise NERD are objectively better than both at present. But Pharrel just kinda walked around the stage lazily, whereas .Paak and Gambino were both really good showmen.
It’s tricky, does he really have bangers?
He has great songs but I don’t think they’re suited for any kind of large scale commercial exposure - he’s an enigma

I take your point about NERD tbf, they can be a bit hit & miss given their ages now, thankfully I’ve never gone to a dud performance of theirs.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Based on a first listen...

I would have to say the writing took a dive on Oxnard, in (unfair) comparison to Malibu. The writing on Malibu is excellent. So many memorable lines, and stories and concepts on Malibu. Oxnard sounds lazy in comparison.

The sequencing on Malibu was excellent. This seems to be more of a mashup of songs. This is what I expect NxWorries pt 2 to sound like, from a sequencing perspective.

Too many features. Again, Malibu's features were sparse and effective. The features on Oxnard were good (J Cole killed it) but I could have done without a tired Dr. Dre verse he obviously did not write.

It's still a good album. I'm sure it will grow on me.

Favorite song so far: Saviers Road. I love how the sample (sounds like some African highlife music) plays out for a bit, until Paak's drum's kick in. Has the best lyricism and storytelling on the album as well, picking up from where "The Season/Carry Me" left off on Malibu. Is it a coincidence that 9th Wonder holds the producer credits for both songs?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
"The Season/Carry Me" left off on Malibu. Is it a coincidence that 9th Wonder holds the producer credits for both songs?
9th Wonder produced The season? Sounds more like Knxledge to me, it would surprise me, maybe he did Carry Me only?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brothers Keeper is a hit. Push has had an excellent year.

Aint gota Kalou

Bubblin' also

BootsyCollins

First listen and its good.
My feeling is that i was hoping for more but still not disappointed.
I loved the energy on Bubblin so was hoping for more like that.
Snoop song the best so for for me, as a huge G-funk fan.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Damn, I cringed hard listening to 'Headlow'.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Doesn't seem to be on Google Play Music, is there some kind of bloody Apple exclusive for a while or something?
I've found you sometimes have to actually search for the album and artist for some new albums. They are there, just not obviously. Which is annoying.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I can't get into his solo stuff at all, not a single track on Oxnard stayed with me on first listen. Kinda reminiscent of how I felt after listening to the Compton album.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The Compton album was crap. Malibu is excellent, Venice is also really good.

Oxnard is growing on me. A lot of songs are much better after a couple of listens.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've had 6 Summers stuck in my head all week. Petty as well.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Shit album saved by featurings that I've come back to perhaps two times. It seems that everything after Malibu is simply garbage, just like NxWorries.