Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yeah, he did look disappointed. Had a look of resignation about him I thought.
I think he always does when he's taken off. The lad wants to play all the time. Fergie said quite recently "If I don't pick Anderson, he gets a right face on" or informal words to that effect anyway. I personally think it's a good thing if a player is disappointed to come off or not get picked when the game is still in the balance. Especially players who have a point to prove like Anderson still does.

Everyone made a huge ordeal about Rooney not getting picked for Madrid and how he'll be sorely disappointed he didn't play. GOOD! I'd be more worried if he was all like "Ah well, it's only Madrid in the Champions League. Where's my cheque?".

The disappointment will surely drive them on to get picked for the next big game. When a player is under pressure for his shirt, it's a huge motivation. I don't think it's a coincidence Evra is now having one of his best seasons for a long long time, and the only thing that had changed is that Buttner is kicking at his heels.

Rossa

The thing is that Cleverley usually plays better than Anderson... and it's his second full season at the club while for Anderson it's the sixth, without any noticeable improvement.
I just don't agree. If Cleverley had not been English, I think there would be more criticism against him. His second halves are atrocious this season. Against Chelsea, he was egregious in the second half, so bad that one can partly blame him for the draw as he offered nothing in defense and going forwards he didn't do anything either. He seems to run completely out of steam after 60 minutes and subsequently seems incapable of tracking back. Even when Ando seems finished, he can still surprise with a hearty run to cover a full back for instance.

What I'm trying to say in too many words is that Ando gets too much unfair criticism of things that other players, like Cleverley, seem to get away with much more easily.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I just don't agree. If Cleverley had not been English, I think there would be more criticism against him. His second halves are atrocious this season. Against Chelsea, he was egregious in the second half, so bad that one can partly blame him for the draw as he offered nothing in defense and going forwards he didn't do anything either. He seems to run completely out of steam after 60 minutes and subsequently seems incapable of tracking back. Even when Ando seems finished, he can still surprise with a hearty run to cover a full back for instance.

What I'm trying to say in too many words is that Ando gets too much unfair criticism of things that other players, like Cleverley, seem to get away with much more easily.
Never remotely gotten that logic. And Cleverley never looks off his feet like Anderson does, he just goes into a shell. Anderson gets the criticism befitting a player who we paid a lot for and have hoped a lot from.

lysglimt

Scout
With his history, people are not happy with ok/good performances. He was ok today, not bad as some will say
He always jogs back when we lose the ball - there was one situation when we lost the ball, Anderson jogged back while Young ran like a madmen to get into position.

And the scary thing is - this frequently happens even when he probably isn't tired (1 half)

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
He always jogs back when we lose the ball - there was one situation when we lost the ball, Anderson jogged back while Young ran like a madmen to get into position.

And the scary thing is - this frequently happens even when he probably isn't tired (1 half)
It's odd though, because at other times I've seen him bust a gut to get back, even late in a game. I think he has a mentality problem, its always in important games he tends to shine. Don't think he ups his game sufficiently for the "smaller" games.

Cina

It's odd though, because at other times I've seen him bust a gut to get back, even late in a game. I think he has a mentality problem, its always in important games he tends to shine. Don't think he ups his game sufficiently for the "smaller" games.
What ones are these exactly?

Cina

The ones were we have the inevitable, "This is what Ando can do" part of the fit, injured cycle.
Can you name them?

I ask because people say this sort of stuff a lot about him playing great in important matches but the only one they then mention is when he "bossed Fabregas" a few years ago, when he didn't even do so. It's always come across as a bit of a myth to me.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Can you name them?

I ask because people say this sort of stuff a lot about him playing great in important matches but the only one they then mention is when he "bossed Fabregas" a few years ago, when he didn't even do so. It's always come across as a bit of a myth to me.
I'm probably overselling what I mean. By important I meant matches that had some urgency behind them, when the team looks fired up if ya get me? I'll try think of some examples later, probably.

Cevno

Yeah, not much better there either and we have tried him there too.

Platato

Psst!
Perhaps. Just saying he was originally an AM. He's shown promise as a CM but I'm not sure if he will get the run of games he needs. Especially if he keeps getting injured.

GledTheRed

Pretty much thieved a wage has old Ando, as much as i wanted him to work out he just hasn't and the continual injuries / only lasting 60 minutes thing is starting to wear a little thin. It's time to move him on unfortunately.

Nani too i think and i'm one of his biggest fans but we can't have these inconsitencies when going for the biggest prizes.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I never saw much of Anderson at Porto but, assuming he was a more advanced player with greater attacking threat, perhaps he's a good example of what can happen with a player if you dick around with his position too much (not that this is the only issue by any means). It makes sense given that players will have to distribute focus around learning different roles and using different skills more prevalently than others. I have always rated Anderson (even if I'm conceding defeat a bit at the moment), but his main weakness/downfall for us is something that top class attacking midfielders are good at; keeping the situation under control when being pressed.

If that is the sort of player Anderson was before we signed him then it's a shame. Perhaps we gave him too much time to think about the situation playing him deeper and robbed him of his spontaneity in doing so. At the same though, it's clear as day that he has attributes suited to being an Essien-ish type midfielder. The whole thing has been very frustrating.

Platato

Psst!
Very frustrating. In the first season, it looked like a good bet but injuries really wrecked him and his progress. Keep in mind Kagawa is the first type of CAM we have really brought to the club. Although Anderson was touted as an advanced midfielder, him and Kagawa are very different in style.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Don't think he's injured, no. Officially, we have no (!) injuries at the moment, which is almost too good to be true.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'd say its pretty obvious he's on his way now. No word of an injury and Rooney played in midfield ahead of him with no spot on the bench for him.

It's a shame, there's a quality footballer there somewhere, some players just don't have the luck or attitude to fulfil the promise.

Lets hope we replace him with a proven player of around the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.