Andre Onana - Inter Milan Goalkeeper

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
with Barca now reportedly (according to tier 1 sources) approaching his agent about a return to make him their second goalie this summer, and with him visiting Guardiola personally on City's training in Schalke last week, it appears (as expected) that Onana will be leaving Ajax this summer. Thought it was a good time to make a thread on what is in my opinion one of the most talented goalies in the world.

Name: Andre Onana
Position: Goalkeeper
Born: 2 April 1996 (age 22 years)
Height: 1.87m

Strengths (according to me):
  • unbeatable in 1 on 1s
  • great reflexes
  • really strong in the air and strong hands in general
  • very confident with the ball at his feet and good at passing (though prone to occasional brainfart passes)
  • great speed of his line
  • fantastic charisma/aura (feel this is important in a goalie)
Weaknesses:
  • those brainfart passes I mentioned
  • Felt in early seasons he seemed to get beaten by long shots rather a lot. don't feel that this is as prominent anymore, at l don't notice it as much.
  • bad moments can seem to get in his head and so he will have complete off-games once every 3 months or so - see PSV-Ajax 3-0 for a recent example

a general match showing his contribution with his feet:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He also passed right to a Hercales player for their one goal in their recent loss to them. He seems like such a great character. Since he spent time in Barca's academy plus all his years in Ajax he has been coached for a long time to build from the back. He is perfect for any side that builds from the back but, will give you heart attacks with the risks he takes.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
He spent time at Barca's academy.
That wouldn't be a main reason for me to go there for to play 9-10 games.

Right now he could go to some very good clubs but after 2-3 years at Barca????

He is 22 and is a very good player/talent therefore if he has the ambition to be a great goalkeeper then don't go there just to play cup games in January and February.

Jib

He shouldn't return to Barcelona. Ter Stegen is the best GK in the world and he's only 26-27.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
That wouldn't be a main reason for me to go there for to play 9-10 games.

Right now he could go to some very good clubs but after 2-3 years at Barca????

He is 22 and is a very good player/talent therefore if he has the ambition to be a great goalkeeper then don't go there just to play cup games in January and February.
Yeah, it would be stupid, if he joins us he'll spend his most important years being a sub and only playing Copa games.

Either we're offering him wages no other team can match (I doubt it) or he's confident enough to steal the #1 spot from Ter Stegen... it's good having self steem, but I laugh at that idea right now.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I really interested to see where he ends up if not Barca. It will probably be a upper midtable Bundlesliga or Serie A side. And it has to be a side that builds from the back.But, I can not think of an obvious club for him.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I really interested to see where he ends up if not Barca. It will probably be a upper midtable Bundlesliga or Serie A side. And it has to be a side that builds from the back.But, I can not think of an obvious club for him.
I don't get why Napoli haven't been in for him. Also could see Dortmund although I believe they've grown more fond of Bürki?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
He also has a song about him by Rihanna. How many other top GKs can say that.

Alemar

Why do we need a goalkeeper? Whoever we buy, there won’t be any upgrade. Additionally, why to buy a keeper of such a low height? 187cm is just low

Member 93275

Who cares whether Ter Stegen or De Gea is considered the best or not by some people on the Internet, that's not the point.

The point is Ter Stegen is the undisputed number one at Barca, so why would Onana go there when he left them earlier to get play time. He should just remain patient until a good club from a top competition is in need of a new number one, and in the meantime he should focus on getting those occasional errors out of his game at Ajax. He's a good keeper, but while you can make a few errors in the Dutch league and no one cares, if you do that at Spurs or wherever, it will be all they talk about after the game and you might end up on the bench.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
while you can make a few errors in the Dutch league and no one cares, if you do that at Spurs or wherever, it will be all they talk about after the game and you might end up on the bench.
Lloris makes plenty of mistakes

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Lloris is pretty shit and is gradually regressing. Could get games for Tottenham frankly. He sounds perfect for them, young with talent and can do some utterly stupid things.
I've been thinking he'd make a good replacement and improvement for over a year now

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
If I am a 22 year old keeper I am not signing to be a backup at any club you should be playing games and enhancing your game. I would only understand being a back up keeper at a top club if you know you don't have the ability to be a starter at a top club and if you are 29 or 30.

Tiber

Why would a young promising goalkeeper at Ajax want to waste key years of his career sitting on the bench somewhere like Spurs? Or even Barca to be honest.

Even though he is in his early 30's, the fact that Romero is happy to pick up a salary sitting on our bench instead of stepping up to start every week at a smaller premier League or Spanish club is fairly baffling and frankly a bit damning

Bojan11

Like the look of this guy. If DDG leaves then we should take a look at him. Very aggressive off line especially for crosses and can play out from the back too.