Andre Onana - Inter Milan Goalkeeper

Bloedrood

He's staying with Ajax for another season, made that public 2 weeks ago, extended his contract and in return Ajax will cooperate with a transfer after next season.

Nickosaur

Even before de Gea's recent poor form, he's never been a keeper to command his box, come out and claim a cross etc. Very much stays on his line. Which is great, he's the best reflex keeper in the world. But I think keepers can be so much more than that. The way Onana made his presence felt in his box was amazing to see. Ederson plays very similar.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
btw as much as I enjoy seeing the praise for Onana (whom I rate very very highly both as a person and a goalie), his eagerness off the line can also be one of his weaknesses. I'll quote my other recent comment:

Onana's biggest strengths are being simply unbeatable in 1 on 1, very reminiscent of De Gea, and his speed and intensity coming off the line. That plus his reflexes and 99% of the time his ability to catch balls firmly. He's also very good with the ball at his feet and in passing it around but his long ball hasn't looked as good anymore since his first season for some reason. Might just be the fewer chances at quick precise balls since the departure of Bosz' quick transitions.

But his eagerness off his line is also one of his weaknesses. About 3 or 4 times now this season he's come for balls that he had no chance for and conceded in an open net. See PSV's goal last week or Benfica's goal away in the groupstages.

Really love Onana though. in my opinion already a top 10 goalie in the world and has all the talent to make it to the top top. Think he definitely fits the bill as a De Gea replacement if it came to that with a similar skillset pure goalkeeping wise, though definitely less good at saving longshots (where De Gea saves even the unsaveable ones), and an improvement in "modern" goalkeeping aspects

Loublaze

ATLien
Good interview

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48147087

Ajax Amsterdam and Cameroon's Andre Onana says black goalkeepers have to work harder than white stoppers to make it to the top of European football.

The 23-year-old believes there is a misconception that black keepers make too many mistakes.

"I don't see the difference between white and black goalkeepers," he said.

"They're the same - they make mistakes. I make mistakes, everyone makes mistakes. Black keepers need to prepare well because it's not easy for us."

Onana's Ajax can reach the Champions League final on Wednesday, as they protect a 1-0 lead at home against Tottenham Hotspur, whereupon he could become the first black goalkeeper to contest the final since Brazil's Dida, who played for Milan in 2007.

The Cameroon international has played every minute of Ajax's Champions League campaign, which began in the second qualifying round in July 2018.

"We don't have a lot of black goalkeepers at the top and people already have in their mind that black goalkeepers are not confident or they make too many mistakes," Onana told BBC Sport.

"It's something we have to change. It's not easy for us to arrive at that level especially when you are black but for me it really doesn't matter - black or white, in the end I am a goalkeeper."

Onana has been first choice at Ajax since 2016 after joining them from Barcelona a year earlier.

He learnt his his trade at the Spanish giants after a move from the academy in Douala founded by Cameroon legend Samuel Eto'o.

He feels his growth in recent seasons is because he can accept criticism.

Former Ajax, Juventus and Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar, who is now the CEO of the Dutch club, is also helping his development.

"We talk more when I make mistakes because when you win, even if you make mistakes, no one is going to talk about that mistake," he explained.

"Nobody wants to lose but sometimes you have to lose to learn. When you are playing at a high level, I think the key is to be calm.

"It doesn't matter what happens because if you are calm you are going to absorb the pressure. Don't think too much about the game. Relax. Take your time.

"When you have the ball, you are the boss. You decide what you are going to do."

Andre Onana (left) and his cousin Frabrica Ondoa are both regulars in the Cameroon squad
Last Tuesday, Onana took another step towards winning the Champions League with Ajax as they beat Premier League side Tottenham 1-0 in the first leg of the semi-final.

Now Ajax are just 90 minutes from reaching their first Champions League final since 1996.

"We didn't expect to arrive in the semi-final and now we are here, we are going to fight to go to the final and win," he continued.

"We played against great opponents. Bayern Munich was not easy, we played against Benfica, Real Madrid and Juventus.

"It would be great for this young team but it's something very, very difficult but I hope we are going to make it."

While there are not many black goalkeepers playing in top leagues in Europe, his country has a rich history of producing top goalkeeping talent.

The roll call of Cameroon goalkeepers who have graced the Europe football scene is impressive.

Joseph Antoine Belle played for France's biggest clubs, including Marseilles, Bordeaux and St Etienne.

Jacques Songo'o played for Deportivo La Coruna while Thomas Nkono and Idriss Carlos Kameni both starred for Spanish club Espanyol among others.

The legacy is continuing not only with Onana but his cousin Fabrice Ondoa too, who plays for Belgian club KV Oostende.

Onana's performances like many of his clubmates has seen him linked with a move away from the Netherlands and he still dreams of a return to Spain and the club that gave him his first taste of European football as a 13-year-old in 2010.

"Barcelona is my home. When I go there all the doors are open. It's normal because I was there since I was young," he said.

"Everyone would love to go to Barcelona but for me it's important to play. I am happy when I play so I will try to play somewhere."

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
He looks class. Calm and composed, commands his area, isn't afraid to come out and catch a cross to put the defence at ease. And his distribution and comfortableness with the ball at his feet are also great. He was immense during their Champions League run.

Shot stopping/reflexes is the only area he must improve in.
this statement is madness mate

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Onana
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Onana
Onana, Onana, Onana

Old batman song

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If I am a 22 year old keeper I am not signing to be a backup at any club you should be playing games and enhancing your game. I would only understand being a back up keeper at a top club if you know you don't have the ability to be a starter at a top club and if you are 29 or 30.
Dunno... If psg offered a wedge of cash I'd be tempted as Buffon is 41 and im sure you could learn a lot off him... But other than that then yeah I think he's going to go somewhere he actually plays
Would probably be a big upgrade for juve and juve would be a big step up (also in financial terms) for him

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax

After being motm last game vs Lille already as well

Last edited:

Based Adnan

He's so good. Very proactive and is insane with the ball at his feet. Everything you want from a modern keeper. Would take him over De Gea.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Looked far less erratic tonight than he did when I saw him last season

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's really proactive indeed. Great goalie, Spurs should be looking at him as Lloris' long-term replacement.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fantastic goalkeeper who I've wanted at United since last season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Unsual to see a goalkeeper be deemed too modern. Though I'm assuming the real issue here is Onana effectively (or directly) saying the way they're trying to play is wrong?

Red Star One

Unsual to see a goalkeeper be deemed too modern. Though I'm assuming the real issue here is Onana effectively (or directly) saying the way they're trying to play is wrong?
I think this might be related to his harsh criticism of teammates too. The new Cameroon GK looked completely lost today though and might have costed them 3 points there.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
This guys seems like a right tit, Ronaldo lite without the career to back his ego yet.

I like him. Plays with confidence.

Weird for Cameroon to send probably their highest profile player home.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think this might be related to his harsh criticism of teammates too. The new Cameroon GK looked completely lost today though and might have costed them 3 points there.
What did Onana say about his teammates?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm sure I read a tweet that he had a disagreement with Eto'o also, who Onana alleges is putting too much pressure onto the team.

Red Star One

What did Onana say about his teammates?
Not that I have any good source but from Twitter talk of Cameroon fans I've been checking it seemed like he had a big disagreement with Song/Eto'o over the distribution (he didn't want to do long kicks, they wanted him to do it) as well as he's apparently been undermining and criticising the defenders too much. Don't think we'll learn more about this and we are anyhow only reliant on rumours, it is very unusual to let one of your best players go like this.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Cameroon would have gone through the group stage had they included the best African defender in the world :wenger:

Foxbatt

No matter what it's the coach's decision how to play. If he wants long kicks then the keeper has to do it. It's not for the keeper to decide the tactics.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
As I wrote in the other thread, I think he's very good but will never play for Manchester United as soon as Erik Ten Hag is there. There's a bad relationship between them since their Ajax days.. I see him moving to Chelsea in the summer though. Inter need money, Chelsea need GK

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As I wrote in the other thread, I think he's very good but will never play for Manchester United as soon as Erik Ten Hag is there. There's a bad relationship between them since their Ajax days.. I see him moving to Chelsea in the summer though. Inter need money, Chelsea need GK
Do you have a link that discusses that in more detail?

I do believe you just want to be aware more of the context.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Hopefully we stay well away from this one.

Not good enough for me, plus his drug ban is still very disconcerting to me.