Andre Schurrle retiring

lysglimt

Scout
Andre Shurrle retires at the age of 29. Had a career that started really well with Mainz and Leverkusen where he scored a total of 38 goals in 130 or so matches - but after his transfer to Chelsea at the age of 22, his career gradually deteriorated. Ok with Chelsea, ok with Wolfsburg - struggled in Dortmund, not great at Fulham and now last at Spartak Moscow on loan.

22 goals in 57 matches for Germany

Rakaposhi

Supports
Fortuna Düsseldorf
Did pretty well in Brazil, though.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Didnt he have some medical issues at one point iirc ?
Decent player i liked him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
My initial thought when I saw the title was 'he's in the mid 30s so fair enough'. But he's... 29?!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Won the Prem, German cup and even got an assist for the winning goal in a World Cup final.

Fabregas gets all the credit for the assist but Schurrle made a super run!

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
His goal against brazil in the 7 1 was an amazing finish

Toad

My initial thought when I saw the title was 'he's in the mid 30s so fair enough'. But he's... 29?!
I genuinely though he was in his 30s too. Thought he was 25-26 At least when he joined Chelsea!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Do we know why he's retiring?

Wish I could have retired at 29 :lol:

Skills

Snitch
Wait, it seems like I've just lost track of time. I didn't know Chelsea signed him so long ago

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Do we know why he's retiring?

Wish I could have retired at 29 :lol:
He said...

"The decision matured in me for a long time" before saying that: "the depths became deeper and the highlights less and less".

"I don't need the applause anymore".

Didn't need the money and was never going to sign for a top side so said "feck it". Kinda respect him for that, he could easily have got a decent contract somewhere phoning it it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I actually really liked him at Chelsea and thought he was a very useful player.
Yeah same for me. Good squad player for them and Germany around the 2014 period. Seemed to lose it a bit when he went to Dortmund and then his career fizzled out.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Hope he finds something he loves outside of football, but he can retire at 29, it must be amazing to be a footballer.

(Footballers are paid the money they are and rightfully so, no debating that).

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Had one more year left on his contract with Dortmund, as well.

He had a pretty decent career. Fair enough if he's not enjoying it anymore. All the best.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He said...

"The decision matured in me for a long time" before saying that: "the depths became deeper and the highlights less and less".

"I don't need the applause anymore".

Didn't need the money and was never going to sign for a top side so said "feck it". Kinda respect him for that, he could easily have got a decent contract somewhere phoning it it.
Yeah definitely, that’s refreshingly honest. I bet it’s a hard slog 10 years football and slowly going to worse clubs after what he’s won already.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Yeah definitely, that’s refreshingly honest. I bet it’s a hard slog 10 years football and slowly going to worse clubs after what he’s won already.
Agreed, if the motivation is gone and you don't enjoy football anymore then why stick with it.

It must be amazing at 29 to have the money players do, he can literally go and train to be a pilot, hire a private tutor and do a full bachelors, masters, PhD.

Invest in real estate, create a start-up company, do charitable work not worrying about money.

pascell

Was linked with Crystal Palace, Sheff Utd and...Preston North End recently. If he'd have moved to PNE, that would've been the biggest wtf transfer recently.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Here is said goal. Beautiful finish off his left peg no less.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Well I'm glad in a way that he's just fallen out of love with the game and it isn't due to injury or any sort of condition.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I hope a break refreshes him and he does a u-turn in a year or so.
certainly young enough to do that
seems strange that 3 years ago he was 26 years old and had 22 goals in 57 games for Germany.
Hope he does not regret walking away too early later in life but he will always have a premier leage and world cup winners medal plus a load of money in the bank so hes done ok for himself and good luck to him if he wants to try something else

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It reads to me like he is or has been having mental health issues. The break will allow him a chance to assess whether football was at the root of them or not.
I only ever played amateur football but after a while it became a chore and I only showed up to games out of an obligation to my teammates rather than any desire to play.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Agreed, if the motivation is gone and you don't enjoy football anymore then why stick with it.

It must be amazing at 29 to have the money players do, he can literally go and train to be a pilot, hire a private tutor and do a full bachelors, masters, PhD.

Invest in real estate, create a start-up company, do charitable work not worrying about money.
What a life ey

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
What other players have retired out of pure choice so early?

Cantona, David Bentley, Schurrle.

Just need one more and we have the Mount Rushmore of football tbh

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Well I'm glad in a way that he's just fallen out of love with the game and it isn't due to injury or any sort of condition.
While it doesn’t seem to be caused by one particular injury, his latest years were full of them, and I’m sure that there were a huge (probably the main) factor in him not enjoying playing anymore. He looked good for Spartak at the beginning, for example, but that was interrupted by a series of injuries very soon.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Days missed because of injuries:
15/16 - 38
16/17 - 101
17/18 - 82
18/19 - 22
19/20 - 91

For those who think that he did it because he was bored.

SungSam7

What other players have retired out of pure choice so early?

Cantona, David Bentley, Schurrle.

Just need one more and we have the Mount Rushmore of football tbh
That Japanese lad who retired at Bolton under big sam, think we was also 29.

EDIT: Hidetoshi Nakata, was meant to be pretty good or something, not sure though.

flappyjay

I would go play for Becks and enjoy the Miami weather but that's just me

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Jose should take a leaf out of his book, call it a day for the sake of his mental health instead of trying to force what's just not there anymore!