Andre Schurrle retiring

Bojan11

Fair play to him. He would have got another decent contract.

Revan

Assumptionman
What other players have retired out of pure choice so early?

Cantona, David Bentley, Schurrle.

Just need one more and we have the Mount Rushmore of football tbh
Zidane? Sure, he was 34 which is a bit older but he had just made the Brazilian superstars his bitches, and was the best player in the World Cup. Could have easily played on a world class level for another 2 seasons, and prolong his career even further.

Zoo

You just hope he doesn’t look back and regret this in a few years.

izec

You just hope he doesn’t look back and regret this in a few years.
If he finds something new to enjoy, he wont. I think plenty of players fall into a hole after their career, but Schürrle had a lot of time in the last few years due to injury. I think he will be fine if he has some projects in mind

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What other players have retired out of pure choice so early?

Cantona, David Bentley, Schurrle.

Just need one more and we have the Mount Rushmore of football tbh
Some German players come to mind:
Marcel Jansen - former Germany international - retired (if I remember correctly) out of the blue at age 29, five years later he's Hamburg's club president and terrorizing opponents with their third team.
Thomas Hitzlsperger retired when he was 31. His career had petered out by then quite a bit though.
And Lahm wasn necessarily young, but seemed perfectly on top of his game when he called it quits.

The youngest was of course Deisler, but to call that by choice would be ignorant of the burden that is depression.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Marcel Jansen - former Germany international - retired (if I remember correctly) out of the blue at age 29, five years later he's Hamburg's club president and terrorizing opponents with their third team.
Thomas Hitzlsperger retired when he was 31. His career had petered out by then quite a bit though.
And Lahm wasn necessarily young, but seemed perfectly on top of his game when he called it quits.

The youngest was of course Deisler, but to call that by choice would be ignorant of the burden that is depression.
The things Schürrle said reminded me most of Tobias Rau, who retired at 27.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The things Schürrle said reminded me most of Tobias Rau, who retired at 27.
I was about to mention him as well, but then I thought his career had basically fizzled out by the time he retired.

No doubt Schurrle has earned enough either way.
So you prefer that the billionaire Florentino Perez keeps the millions of Bale? What difference does it make to you or the billionaire Perez? In terms of fairness its better Bale takes that Money. It's absurd to advise Bale to retire.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I was about to mention him as well, but then I thought his career had basically fizzled out by the time he retired.
True, and it happened on a lower level to begin with. But the personal reasons he gave for not trying to give his career another push (when most would have done so) sounded similar to Schürrle's. At least as I remember it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
True, and it happened on a lower level to begin with. But the personal reasons he gave for not trying to give his career another push (when most would have done so) sounded similar to Schürrle's. At least as I remember it.
I mean in the end it's naive to assume that being fundamentally unhappy with his life didn't have an impact on his performances/career anyway.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Jansen came to mind immediately but his reason was a bit different, I think he said he didn't want to play for another club other than Hamburg.

I had no idea he was the club president though, really young as well! Doesn't seem to be going well for him.

204Red

Really does go to show how the game has changed... and that the money in the game has gone beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

Schurrle has made more money from the game than most of us will see in a lifetime... he has won the game's highest honors. He doesn't need the money that a player like himself would have probably needed 15-20 years ago to carry on after his playing days were gone... in that 20 yr period salaries have gone through the roof (and not just for top stars, but also for the lesser lights of the game - the category into which Schurrle would find himself).

Clearly he is not "in love" with the game of football, and has made the decision to walk away from it at such a young age knowing that he is financially set for life... not having to toil away for lesser teams, or lower divisions chasing something he doesn't really want or need anymore.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Jansen came to mind immediately but his reason was a bit different, I think he said he didn't want to play for another club other than Hamburg.

I had no idea he was the club president though, really young as well! Doesn't seem to be going well for him.
Let's be honest he was born in Gladbach and never played for Hamburg until he was into his 20s, that reason was an excuse for something else, whatever it was. That being said he only took over at the beginning of 2019, supporters probably see someone who has made enough money and enough of a name for himself not to exploit his post for personal gain (unlike what most of his predecessors accused of), it will be a while before he's held responsible for the club's woes.

Really does go to show how the game has changed... and that the money in the game has gone beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

Schurrle has made more money from the game than most of us will see in a lifetime... he has won the game's highest honors. He doesn't need the money that a player like himself would have probably needed 15-20 years ago to carry on after his playing days were gone... in that 20 yr period salaries have gone through the roof (and not just for top stars, but also for the lesser lights of the game - the category into which Schurrle would find himself).

Clearly he is not "in love" with the game of football, and has made the decision to walk away from it at such a young age knowing that he is financially set for life... not having to toil away for lesser teams, or lower divisions chasing something he doesn't really want or need anymore.
I don't think this is necessarily about money, he probably could've gotten a couple of million more out of his career if he wanted to. Most people would probably do that if they were just "bored" with the game. I think with the 24/7 coverage and feedback of social media and dedicated sports news channels the pressure has been upped a lot. It's not just reading two bad sentences in your sports paper on monday, it's constant coverage, constant tweets, if you're a "flop" you better avoid anything remotely sports related on the internet, because hurtful tweets and merciless judgements are available 24/7 online. From what Schürrle said he's burned out.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Could have went to China on a massive wage and gave it all to charity. Selfish cnut. Do not want. #OleoutWoodward out. #SackFergieSellGiggs

204Red

I don't think this is necessarily about money, he probably could've gotten a couple of million more out of his career if he wanted to. Most people would probably do that if they were just "bored" with the game. I think with the 24/7 coverage and feedback of social media and dedicated sports news channels the pressure has been upped a lot. It's not just reading two bad sentences in your sports paper on monday, it's constant coverage, constant tweets, if you're a "flop" you better avoid anything remotely sports related on the internet, because hurtful tweets and merciless judgements are available 24/7 online. From what Schürrle said he's burned out.
I agree... I don't think he "needs" to make a couple of Million more, he's undoubtedly made millions from playing the game. He is probably set for life from a financial point of view, and a couple of extra million wouldn't change that. The burn out it real... and I think he has fallen out of love with the game, and the motivation just isn't there.