Andrea Pirlo - Juventus manager

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If he takes a hands off approach to training and hires some good coaches to work with him it could end up being totally fine.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Those 9 days with the U23's must've been pretty damn impressive.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If you were playing, who would you rather have on the sidelines giving you instructions?

KeanoMagicHat

It's a ridiculous appointment, there no longer seems to be a requirement to show any significant experience or evidence that you're good at managing, just be good at football. Whatever happened to the Sacchi quote: "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Pirlo could end up great but it's a pure shot in the dark and entirely based on name recognition rather than logic.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'd be fine with either? It'd depend entirely on their credentials.
If I'd have to decide just on the basis kf those pictures, I think I'd take the guy that seems to have something to do with football.

Gopher Brown

Football’s fetishisation of ‘potential’ over experience now extends to managers.

Edit: having said that, I just read that the average age of their squad is 29.1, so maybe experience still matters.

Last edited:

LARulz

The top comment on Reddit cracked me up:

I've search longer for something to wank to

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's a ridiculous appointment, there no longer seems to be a requirement to show any significant experience or evidence that you're good at managing, just be good at football. Whatever happened to the Sacchi quote: "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Pirlo could end up great but it's a pure shot in the dark and entirely based on name recognition rather than logic.
So what's the problem here? You seem upset. If it doesn't work out then that's Juventus' problem, not yours.

stu_1992

Bizarre appointment. Especially considering he has no coaching experience at all. Not just at top level. As others have said, could be a masterstroke but the odds are stacked against him. The Juventus squad needs serious work if they are to achieve what they want to achieve. Certainly seems a trend to hire former players these days.

Just on Sarri, feel bad for him in a way to get fired after winning the league bit I guess they consider winning that par for the course. By all accounts the football wasn't great and they underachieved elsewhere. But at least he can leave with a league winners medal. Its not so bad
Think he'll pick up a job elsewhere in Italy quite easily.

joedirt87

I could have sworn that he just came out the other day talking about that he needed to coach the youth team or a similar role before making the jump to managing a club in the top leagues.

Dan_F

I wonder if big teams are going for younger coaches more as they can connect and motivate the players better than say a Van Gaal or Mourinho

Id say the gap between a 20 year old footballer and a 50/60 year old manager has probably never been bigger, in terms of personality etc.

That said, I feel really old knowing that there will be kids in a few years that only think of Pirlo as a manager, not player.

Suedesi

The best of the worst. Really. Good luck, Maestro!
It's a good call. Conosce l'ambiente, la societa', gli calciatori e soppratutto Agnelli lo stima. Good luck, hopefully he gets that midfield right (even if he has to get rid of the showpony).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you were playing, who would you rather have on the sidelines giving you instructions?

I don't want my manager to have an axe when I'm terrible at football. So Sarri.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Waiting for “the decision” now, hopefully He’s going as well?
Would be suicide for Juve.

I mean you were a big fan of Sarri and just as I predicted back in September he was terrible.

Guessing you like this appointment? Can you go 0/2 or can this be the one you get right?

davidmichael

Strange appointment. Maybe it's a stop gao before Pep finally moves there.
Always thought that, Sarri was given a two year deal for a reason and everyone knows next season is Pep’s last contracted year wiyh

Where does this leave poch? Cannot imagine him being out of the game for one.more season.
Didn’t he come out the other day and say he only said he wouldn’t take the Barca job because of the links at the time but would be interested ?

In reality Pochettino would be the absolute perfect man to go to Barca now as he’s a brilliant squad builder that gives youth a chance instead of expensive signings and can be a great man manager.

Barca have got Ansu-Fati, Trincao, Monchu, Collado, Puig, Araujo, Moriba, Miranda, Busquets and Pedri for next season as well as going after Garcia at City and someone like Pochettino would be perfect to bring them through whilst getting the best out of the rest of the squad they’re keeping.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Pirlo? Are they sure? Never heard of him managing anything.

I guess the players will respect him and he is charismatic. We will see soon enough what he's like tactically and otherwise. Still pretty surprising.

AneRu

Juve play in a league in which they can afford to take punts like these, if Ronaldo stays they will always be there of thereabouts so it won't hurt them. They run a tight ship there so I assume they will have transfer decisions covered, those are the ones that can really take a team backwards.

choccy77

From Juve's point of view, they are not spending crazy money on a manager, having just paid of Sarri

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

I mean you were a big fan of Sarri and just as I predicted back in September he was terrible.

Guessing you like this appointment? Can you go 0/2 or can this be the one you get right?
the only suicide would be for mr shoot-them-all €31m/year, his mobster agent and all you fanboys lot... we club fans just have to put up with your very nice company one year more, which is going to be bad on all accounts:cool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

the only suicide would be for mr shoot-them-all €31m/year, his mobster agent and all you fanboys lot... we club fans just have to put up with your very nice company one year more, which is going to be bad on all accounts:cool:
The thread is getting interesting. :lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

Why do people think Pep is heading to Juventus at some point?

Their squad looks dire going forward.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Madness, what does Pirlo know about Football and Juventus?

fps

Just pick a famous respected recent player from your club. Boom, respect and control of the dressing room and they probably “get” the club and will make the fans happy. Honestly that stuff is very important in being a good manager!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
With your track record its hard to take your post serious.

One thing we do agree on is it will be VERY bad next season. Besides Ronaldo and Dybala and maybe 1 or 2 players the squad is horrible and you have the worse coach out of the top 6 Serie A clubs.

Jibbs

Can we convince the new Juve manager to take Pogba snd give us de Ligt?