Andrea Pirlo - Juventus manager

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
still hiding your man, you deluded fanboy :lol: the earlier he goes, the sooner my club can reset full stop; he is only milking his wage, at this point, which will make for parasitesque sniding remarks from his claque day in day out.
You..defended..sarri...ball... nuff said.

Also you would not have won the league this season without the man you hate.

you should worry more about Ramsey ridiculous contract.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
One thing I found funny with this story is the English press were fecking adamant that Pochettino was going to be Juve’s main target. Yet Vecchia Signora (the Juve version of this place) were all talking about Paulo Sousa and Andrea Pirlo from Italian sources, and barely a mention of Pochettino came up... which goes to show the English media know nothing :lol:
Has Paulo Sousa really improved that much as a manager?! All I can remember over here is him being an average manager at Swansea and Leicester (his final game there was a 6-1 defeat at Portsmouth). Did o.k at Fiorentina.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They must really rate pirlo considering they paid 5m to Chelsea and could now be on the hook for another 25 million or so in compensation

Wonder where sarri will go next?
Ac Milan? Back to napoli?... or sit at home picking up compensation from juve?

Loved pirlo as a player though so looking forward to see how he does

Kaos

:keano: 2020s is going to be so much fun.
Great start already with veterans and legends managing the top clubs they played for.

Juve - Pirlo
United - Ole
Chelsea - Lampard
Arsenal - Arteta
Real - Zidane

Who else? More incoming.
Slippy G will likely be sniffing around the Pool job after Klopp leaves in a few seasons. Rooney at Everton too?

edcunited1878

Why? Pirlo could be like Pep with Barca, or Zidane with Madrid.
Is the gap in quality between Juve and the rest of Serie A that close? I know Inter ran Juve close, but Juve won the league by 3 games and have poor results after clinching the title.

The thing is that Pep had a one season in the youth team and had a great mind, but it was matched by the top quality Barca teams of all time...same with Zidane who had undisputed top class players across the pitch and held everyone accountable. But no matter way you look at it, Zidane and Pep had top top top quality that they inherited.

Pirlo is inheriting the Italian champions, but that's not a top quality team compared to Zidane, Pep, or even current top teams in Europe.

Their fullbacks aren't anything special (Cuardrado is playing fullback and is not requisite quality), their central mids aside from Melo and Raboit aren't good enough and don't work hard enough in the middle. Dybala is good, as is Ronaldo, but Higuian is not what is needed anymore. Bernardeschi, Bentacur, etc have some good talent but are young.

Just an underwhelming squad Juve is and not sure how much Pirlo can improve them without much better quality.

Cloud7

Slippy G will likely be sniffing around the Pool job after Klopp leaves in a few seasons. Rooney at Everton too?
With the right coaching staff to support him I think Rooney could potentially be a quality manager. The guy has a brilliant football brain.

Cloud7

Whilst I wanted Zidane for Juventus - I think Pirlo can be good for them..

Ex players of clubs have a feeling of knowing their environment and club well enough to manage them in a different way. Midfielders as well are a position I rate towards being good managers as well due to their playing abilities towards trying to see play from deep or dictate play.
To be fair Zidane is still insanely young for a manager, there's plenty of time for him to manage Juve. Hell, I'd like to see him have a stint at United at some point in the future as well.

Himannv

Where does this leave poch? Cannot imagine him being out of the game for one.more season.
I think Juve would have been a terrible fit. That team isn't ideal for his style of play.

Don't see Madrid sacking zidane now unless there is a fall out.

Pep to Juve looks like it will happen.
I think Juve's ideal manager is actually Zidane, but yeah, RM are really unlikely to let him go.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is the gap in quality between Juve and the rest of Serie A that close? I know Inter ran Juve close, but Juve won the league by 3 games and have poor results after clinching the title.

The thing is that Pep had a one season in the youth team and had a great mind, but it was matched by the top quality Barca teams of all time...same with Zidane who had undisputed top class players across the pitch and held everyone accountable. But no matter way you look at it, Zidane and Pep had top top top quality that they inherited.

Pirlo is inheriting the Italian champions, but that's not a top quality team compared to Zidane, Pep, or even current top teams in Europe.

Their fullbacks aren't anything special (Cuardrado is playing fullback and is not requisite quality), their central mids aside from Melo and Raboit aren't good enough and don't work hard enough in the middle. Dybala is good, as is Ronaldo, but Higuian is not what is needed anymore. Bernardeschi, Bentacur, etc have some good talent but are young.

Just an underwhelming squad Juve is and not sure how much Pirlo can improve them without much better quality.
I was just replying to a post that said

If another Italian team doesn’t win Serie A next year, it really will double confirm how horrible that League is.
Pep and Zidane won trophies with their first Clubs because they are excellent manager. Pirlo may win Serie A with Juventus next year, not because how horrible that League is, but because he's an excellent manager also.

Johnny Love

Juve are a mess. They have so many older players on the downfall on extremely high wages. Their backline was in shambles without Chiellini who's on his last legs. Bonucci is terrible and making 9.5, Ramsey 10.5, Rabiot 10.5, Costa 10.5, DeLigt 11.5...extremely huge wage bill and huge wastes on players that don't contribute. They went all in on Ronaldo and it failed miserable. Don't know how they will unload some of those players.

thepolice123

Pep is a tactican and Zidane is a leader by inspiration. I honestly do not know what are the stand out qualities of Pirlo the manager.

He was a great player but with Zidane and Pep you could tell even during their playing days that they had some qualities which could translate into the managerial role.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Ramsey on his way out ?
Contract till 2023 with 7mil salary
Good luck selling him

dev1l

Juve are a mess. They have so many older players on the downfall on extremely high wages. Their backline was in shambles without Chiellini who's on his last legs. Bonucci is terrible and making 9.5, Ramsey 10.5, Rabiot 10.5, Costa 10.5, DeLigt 11.5...extremely huge wage bill and huge wastes on players that don't contribute. They went all in on Ronaldo and it failed miserable. Don't know how they will unload some of those players.
Fully agreed. But tbf they have also some very good younger players like DeLigt,, Demiral, Betancour and Kulisevski which they just signed from Parma. Their financial muscle will also allow them to pick the best up and coming serie A players

R'hllor

He is already better manager than OGS come on you know you want to

RooneyLegend

Outrageous decision by Juve. Pep is Pep and clearly has an obsession with the game. He developed his coaching methods by combining the best of Bielsa and Cruyff. Zidane served his apprenticeship under Carlo Ancelotti. Now this guy? Who or where has he worked? With who?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
P45s flying over the table in the form of cold calls by Il Maestro to deadwood and misfits :drool: . A true rebuild, however, needs half the squad going, which is very difficult without swaps and accounting magics. Therefore, I can only see a half-baked, unbalanced squad making for another jumpy season, a lot of moaning and another R16 CL exit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Everton will come and offer 30 odd million for Aaron Ramsey, I wouldn't worry. Newcastle would've been a candidate aswell if they'd had the takeover.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
He had a press conference and clearly stated that Higuain has no future at Juve. Lots of other deadwood to clear, but this is a good start.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He looked sharp and handsome on the touchline

The football his team played was also good

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
So what are your first impressions of his Juve?

I realize that it is very early, and any judgement can only be thoroughly preliminary, not to say hopelessly premature; but hey, when has that ever stopped a football fan.

I try to follow their games a bit more this season (usually not really a Serie A expert), as I can't help but be intrigued by this appointment, or rather the sheer brazenness and mind-boggling absurdity of it. I'm not aware of there ever having been a case of a top club appointing a manager/head coach with literally zero experience. Zero, not as an expression for very, very little, but as in the actual number of games in charge, or training sessions held, in his coaching experience..
It's also intriguing, in a more positive sense, due to the glamorous and likeable figure that Pirlo presents.
So I'm sensing a win-win situation here, either against all odds we can witness the birth and baptism of a great managerial figure, and football is always in need of those - or, even better, there will be opportunity to bath in some good old Schadenfreude about the self-demolition of the all-dominating club in Serie A.

Anyway, my first impression is that this Juventus is all over the place and Pirlo is in over his head.
The win against Sampdoria was alright, even if the team seemed uneven and shaky, against Roma they were very lucky to get away with a point as they allowed tons of chances, the performance against Crotone was rather bad.
In the latter, he used something like a 4-4-2 for the majority of the match, as opposed to the three at the back of the first game, and also different to the formation at Roma, where Ramsey surprisingly had played a rather free roaming role on the left attacking side (this time Chiesa on the right)
Now, the squad situation and player availability in these first matches makes it hard to discern what his preferred team will be, for example the two man midfield against Crotone, Arthur plus Betancur, was the exact inverse of the midfielders chosen to play in the first two games, McKennie, Rabiot and Ramsey. In general, the midfield part of the squad comes across as a whirlpool of question marks.

Again, too early to tell, but the first signs seem not positive to me, and if I was a Juve fan I'd be worried. Of course, their current 5th place in the table is also due to the points awarded to them by default in what otherwise surely would have been a very difficult game.

Does anyone else have an opinion yet?

Reactions: Raoul

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Only saw their result, 1-1 v Crotone and had Chiesa sent off which probably stopped them winning.

Their starting team had Farbotta and Portanova starting who I dont know lots about so good he'd rather start some youth than likes of Bernadeschi which would be more safe selection.

Juve of course missing Ronaldo, Cheillini Dybala and Ramsey for various reasons.

Guess Juve just thinking their incredible results mentality will pull them through in Serie A yet but it's certainly going to be their toughest season in a decade with way Milan have started. Don't expect much of them in europe at all.

RashyForPM

So what are your first impressions of his Juve?

I realize that it is very early, and any judgement can only be thoroughly preliminary, not to say hopelessly premature; but hey, when has that ever stopped a football fan.

I try to follow their games a bit more this season (usually not really a Serie A expert), as I can't help but be intrigued by this appointment, or rather the sheer brazenness and mind-boggling absurdity of it. I'm not aware of there ever having been a case of a top club appointing a manager/head coach with literally zero experience. Zero, not as an expression for very, very little, but as in the actual number of games in charge, or training sessions held, in his coaching experience..
It's also intriguing, in a more positive sense, due to the glamorous and likeable figure that Pirlo presents.
So I'm sensing a win-win situation here, either against all odds we can witness the birth and baptism of a great managerial figure, and football is always in need of those - or, even better, there will be opportunity to bath in some good old Schadenfreude about the self-demolition of the all-dominating club in Serie A.

Anyway, my first impression is that this Juventus is all over the place and Pirlo is in over his head.
The win against Sampdoria was alright, even if the team seemed uneven and shaky, against Roma they were very lucky to get away with a point as they allowed tons of chances, the performance against Crotone was rather bad.
In the latter, he used something like a 4-4-2 for the majority of the match, as opposed to the three at the back of the first game, and also different to the formation at Roma, where Ramsey surprisingly had played a rather free roaming role on the left attacking side (this time Chiesa on the right)
Now, the squad situation and player availability in these first matches makes it hard to discern what his preferred team will be, for example the two man midfield against Crotone, Arthur plus Betancur, was the exact inverse of the midfielders chosen to play in the first two games, McKennie, Rabiot and Ramsey. In general, the midfield part of the squad comes across as a whirlpool of question marks.

Again, too early to tell, but the first signs seem not positive to me, and if I was a Juve fan I'd be worried. Of course, their current 5th place in the table is also due to the points awarded to them by default in what otherwise surely would have been a very difficult game.

Does anyone else have an opinion yet?
Good post. Their performances have left a lot to be desired yes. I doubt they would have even drawn that Napoli game; they look good this year. 5 from 4 would be a poor return. He’s lucky Serie A is ridiculously corrupted.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just watched Pirlo juve today. Not very exciting team if the expectation is domination since don’t think they will. However, they have a balance team and play 442 which looks kinda interesting to me for someone who is big fans of 442 formation.

Chiesa on the left & Kulusevski on the right. I’m not sure with Betancur, feels like he doesn’t offer much as he normally did last season. I think Melo will take his spot soon. They will look more dangerous in attack when both Dybala & Ronaldo are back full fitness again but Morata played well today. Danilo doesn’t seem to offer much, but they have Sandro for the spot.

Honestly, with the way how they play, I don’t see them going for Pogba.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Just watched Pirlo juve today. Not very exciting team if the expectation is domination since don’t think they will. However, they have a balance team and play 442 which looks kinda interesting to me for someone who is big fans of 442 formation.

Chiesa on the left & Kulusevski on the right. I’m not sure with Betancur, feels like he doesn’t offer much as he normally did last season. I think Melo will take his spot soon. They will look more dangerous in attack when both Dybala & Ronaldo are back full fitness again but Morata played well today. Danilo doesn’t seem to offer much, but they have Sandro for the spot.

Honestly, with the way how they play, I don’t see them going for Pogba.
Yeah, Pirlo swapped the sides of his tilted 4-4-2 again yesterday; Danilo and Chiesa who had constituted right back and right attacker vs Crotone now played as left back and left attacker, in turn the right back was Cuadrado who played in a somewhat higher position than Danilo, similar to the role the young LB Frambotta had had against Crotone. Ramsey played as a kind of second striker, Kulusevski right attacker.
It's almost as if he's sort of systematically experimenting and rotating to try out each player in each position.
The performance seemed more stable and settled to me, especially without the ball, although I was rather surprised by how poor Kiev were. In any case, winning a CL away game at an eastern European group opponent is rarely something the big teams do very convincingly or by a big margin, so it is without doubt a good win.

Not sure whether Arthur taking over for Betancur is so straightforward, it might be Betancur is valued as he plays a certain role, reliable, work-horse, tactically disciplined, having an engine, something like that. A Rabiot-Arthur midfield would seem to me unreliable, unbalanced, and, let's say, mentally questionable.
I also believe Ronaldo and Dybala returning, along with the presence of Morata, will require a change of this particular formation and approach he practised in those last couple of games. Let's see what he does..

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Yesterday win in Kyiv was vital and buys him precious time already: he must just pass the CL group stage for now and stay in contention in Serie A until the winter break. As for experimenting with tactics, as long as he reverts to an ordinary 4-4-2 without tinkering too much with the players’ selection, he will be fine. Real tests will come later.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yeah, Pirlo swapped the sides of his tilted 4-4-2 again yesterday; Danilo and Chiesa who had constituted right back and right attacker vs Crotone now played as left back and left attacker, in turn the right back was Cuadrado who played in a somewhat higher position than Danilo, similar to the role the young LB Frambotta had had against Crotone. Ramsey played as a kind of second striker, Kulusevski right attacker.
It's almost as if he's sort of systematically experimenting and rotating to try out each player in each position.
The performance seemed more stable and settled to me, especially without the ball, although I was rather surprised by how poor Kiev were. In any case, winning a CL away game at an eastern European group opponent is rarely something the big teams do very convincingly or by a big margin, so it is without doubt a good win.

Not sure whether Arthur taking over for Betancur is so straightforward, it might be Betancur is valued as he plays a certain role, reliable, work-horse, tactically disciplined, having an engine, something like that. A Rabiot-Arthur midfield would seem to me unreliable, unbalanced, and, let's say, mentally questionable.
I also believe Ronaldo and Dybala returning, along with the presence of Morata, will require a change of this particular formation and approach he practised in those last couple of games. Let's see what he does..
Didn’t they play two up front with Ronaldo and Morata in the league under Pirlo? Not sure why can’t they play the same but with Dybala & Ronaldo up front instead.