Andrea Pirlo - Juventus manager

Luke1995

The same thing that happened to Lampard is happening to him. People can't just take a big top job without previous experience.

Well, unless it's Pep Guardiola. But that's a once in a lifetime case.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The same thing that happened to Lampard is happening to him. People can't just take a big top job without previous experience.

Well, unless it's Pep Guardiola. But that's a once in a lifetime case.
Even Pep had experience with Barca B. The same as Ole with our reserves, and Zidane with Madrid Castilla. They’d worked at the club in a managerial capacity already. Arteta and Pirlo are just weird though. Total shots in the dark.

tjb

Who is worse, him or Frank?
Is that even a question. Frank wasn't that bad, just not good enough. Pirlo is atrocious. He's doing what Moyes did to us. Taking something that's working and completely destroying it.

In Rainbows

Even Pep had experience with Barca B. The same as Ole with our reserves, and Zidane with Madrid Castilla. They’d worked at the club in a managerial capacity already. Arteta and Pirlo are just weird though. Total shots in the dark.
Even Arteta had coaching experience. Pirlo had none.

Idxomer

He was basically appointed because he was such a cool and great midfielder.

Blood Mage

He was such a majestic player that it's a little sad to discover how dreadful he is as a manager. It's a shame fairytales happen rarely in football.

joi_division

Supports
AS Roma
I think they actually pushed them through. Fairly certain they weren't completed when they gave him the job.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Even Arteta had coaching experience. Pirlo had none.
As a number 2 anyway, still a massive gamble to go from that to sole manager. It would be like Ole leaving tomorrow and us putting Carrick in charge permanently with no trial period.

Tallis

Pundits have been saying that Juve have financial issues of their own. They have a high wage bill too with CR7, De Light, Ramsey etc.

Wonder if they need to sell if they can’t get into CL. If not for financial reasons, then for FFP reasons. Would love to take Bentancur off them.

flappyjay

He was such a majestic player that it's a little sad to discover how dreadful he is as a manager. It's a shame fairytales happen rarely in football.
He probably would have turned out alright if he didn't go for such a huge job without experience. Zidane, Pep, Ole, Frank and even Arteta worked in some capacity as a coach/manager before being given their top job. This dude woke up and became Juventus manager.

thepolice123

Saw this on reddit. Why did Sarri call them untrainable? I don't recall he had any issues with the team. Can the Juve people explain?

In Rainbows

As a number 2 anyway, still a massive gamble to go from that to sole manager. It would be like Ole leaving tomorrow and us putting Carrick in charge permanently with no trial period.
Yep, but then look at the Pirlo situation. It would be like if Carrick got the job before he even became an assistant coach for years.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It makes no sense to me to throw these noob coaches like onto the big scene and expect magic from them when the squad they have is full of holes at every line. I will never blame him for accepting the job but the idiocy of those who hired him :lol:
Those are the same incompetent people who want Juve to be part of the ESL after they destroyed their club step by step

Yep, but then look at the Pirlo situation. It would be like if Carrick got the job before he even became an assistant coach for years.
Exactly this. Pirlo was never gonna succeed. They took the Guardiola or Zidane "formula" to a ridiculious extent

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I must say that i am totally against this trend when coaches get a chance to coach big club just based on the fact that they are legends of that club. I don't see any logic in that. Based on what? What owners think at that moment? He was great player so he will be surely great manager?
You must earn biggest jobs in the world. Being a player or manager of giant clubs is the most difficult job (and achievement) in football. So you must have people who know what they are doing. Being a CEO of multi billion company is not a place where you "learn" how to do your job.

People use Zidane and Pep examples always. But they already inherited top squads in 2 club league. And yes, time showed that they are good coaches. But again it was a gamble which could have gone in opposite way. Like Real did with Solari for example.

Anyway, coaches should prove themselves before getting top job.

kouroux

I must say that i am totally against this trend when coaches get a chance to coach big club just based on the fact that they are legends of that club. I don't see any logic in that. Based on what? What owners think at that moment? He was great player so he will be surely great manager?
You must earn biggest jobs in the world. Being a player or manager of giant clubs is the most difficult job (and achievement) in football. So you must have people who know what they are doing. Being a CEO of multi billion company is not a place where you "learn" how to do your job.

People use Zidane and Pep examples always. But they already inherited top squads in 2 club league. And yes, time showed that they are good coaches. But again it was a gamble which could have gone in opposite way. Like Real did with Solari for example.

Anyway, coaches should prove themselves before getting top job.
Agreed. Zidane even had a good experience as an assistant, Pep worked with their kids I think but like you said, the pieces were there already and he was part of their hierarchy longer than Pirlo. I don't know how much better they expected their team to be in comparison to Sarri's

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
At least that puts the notion to rest that anyone can with [insert dominant team].

kouroux

At least that puts the notion to rest that anyone can with [insert dominant team].
Any [insert dominant team] still needs its fair of share of good investment to keep the level high. Juventus would have still struggled with any other experienced manager IMHO this year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That notion has never been closed to correct whenever someone makes it they are either trolling or stupid.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Any [insert dominant team] still needs its fair of share of good investment to keep the level high. Juventus would have still struggled with any other experienced manager IMHO this year.
Investment wasn't the problem. We made some more important investments, although the value of these investments and their priorities could be questioned. I expected us to struggle a little more as well this season and did expect Inter to win the Scudetto. But the squad is still good enough to finish third at least and the fact that we are struggling that much to reach top 4 (at this rate we will finish 6th) and have not developed an identity all season is down to coaching (or lack of it).

kouroux

Investment wasn't the problem. We made some more important investments, although the value of these investments and their priorities could be questioned. I expected us to struggle a little more as well this season and did expect Inter to win the Scudetto. But the squad is still good enough to finish third at least and the fact that we are struggling that much to reach top 4 (at this rate we will finish 6th) and have not developed an identity all season is down to coaching (or lack of it).
That's what I meant. Bad investments is worse than no investments

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's what I meant. Bad investments is worse than no investments
Not signing Ronaldo for 100m and a ridiculously expensive wage would have been a good start. That move was baffling at the time and even more baffling in hindsight, they were building a very solid team and totally destroyed that momentum with one move.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Not signing Ronaldo for 100m and a ridiculously expensive wage would have been a good start. That move was baffling at the time and even more baffling in hindsight, they were building a very solid team and totally destroyed that momentum with one move.
They quite apparently thought a substantial gain in social media following was worth abandoning an even, well-constructed quality team.
Don't you know the young people don't follow football games anymore, just watch clips on their mobile phones? If Agnelli and Perez are to believed?

Dan_F

Saw this on reddit. Why did Sarri call them untrainable? I don't recall he had any issues with the team. Can the Juve people explain?
I would imagine the top players weren’t doing what he wanted them to do in his system. Can you imagine LvG trying to coach Ronaldo. It was probably quite similar.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They quite apparently thought a substantial gain in social media following was worth abandoning an even, well-constructed quality team.
Don't you know the young people don't follow football games anymore, just watch clips on their mobile phones? If Agnelli and Perez are to believed?
I heard also that they are interested only in last 15 minutes of the game

Bestie07

Would it even make sense for Pogba to move back to Juventus now that they are not winning the league every year while United appear to be on the cusp of maturing into a team capable of fighting for trophies on all fronts from next season?