Andreas Christensen

ROFLUTION

I think it's mostly the ball-playing part that gets him into trouble and where he makes most of his mistakes that leads to goals.

It's also what he's good at, but he's got to learn to be more conservative/safe in his passing-style in certain areas.

Buy and develop. Good positioning-brain.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think it's mostly the ball-playing part that gets him into trouble and where he makes most of his mistakes that leads to goals.

It's also what he's good at, but he's got to learn to be more conservative/safe in his passing-style in certain areas.

Buy and develop. Good positioning-brain.
That's the case with all ball playing CBs. Stones looked shakey early on and now looks much more assured.

ROFLUTION

That's case with all ball playing CBs. Stones looked shakey early on and now looks much more assured.
Can't generalise every ball-playing CB out there and put them into the Stones category. There's gotta be nuances.

Stones, to me, is of nature an unfocused guy that needs a lot of confidence, and it is not just in passing situations he's unfocused (Mandzukic' goal a prime example of this, and he's done it time and time again for City and Everton).

Good season so far from Stones though, but never had a truly stable and wonderful season yet.

Major

Supports
chelsea
70m and I'd drive him to Old Trafford myself. Bring back Zouma and spend that money on a Skriniar or half on Rugani.

Ekeke

70m and I'd drive him to Old Trafford myself. Bring back Zouma and spend that money on a Skriniar or half on Rugani.
You think someone would pay £70 million for a backup CB from Chelsea?

You think someone would pay £45 million for a backup CB from Chelsea?

I mean Chelsea's defensive record this season is good but City's and Liverpool's are better and their backups would cost less than that too.

Gazza

Chelsea Twitter seems to be happy with him just now, six starts in a row and suggestions Thiago Silva might have a fight to get the shirt back. 16 months left on Christensen’s contract as well...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea Twitter seems to be happy with him just now, six starts in a row and suggestions Thiago Silva might have a fight to get the shirt back. 16 months left on Christensen’s contract as well...
Chelsea fans have been shitting on this guy since Conte dropped him back in 2018. Silva should be brought back in when he's good and ready, but it is great to know we don't have to rush him back for any reason. It would be extremely harsh on Christensen but Silva does bring that extra bit of composure, quality, leadership and ability on the ball, even though Christensen has been unreal in all of those areas.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm still nervous about his lack of pace playing in a high line but it's always great to see an academy player doing well.

A back three of Christensen, Tomori and Guehi in a couple of years is the dream!

Gazza

I'm still nervous about his lack of pace playing in a high line but it's always great to see an academy player doing well.

A back three of Christensen, Tomori and Guehi in a couple of years is the dream!
ANy chance he bounces at the end of his contract, do you think?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
There’s no doubt he is a good defender but he is definitely a confidence player and that is probably most people’s biggest gripe with him. He lost his way a bit for a while and coming in for the odd game and not playing great and being dropped again definitely affected him.

That being said I think he is a better player than Rudiger and Zouma but he lacks the physical presence Zouma brings otherwise he would be as good in a back 4 that he is in a 5.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Reminds me a lot of Lindelof. Maybe because they’re both meek Scandinavian defenders

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I also feel nervous when I see him in the starting line up however he has been faultless lately. Historically he has been error prone and very weak but he is holding his own now. I wonder if he has a lot of support in training from Thiago?

TheRedDevil95

I feel like he’s a different player in a back-3 compared to a back-4. He excelled in the same role back in Conte’s tenure, as he does now. The central CB in a back-3.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

I don't know, I watched the Dipper game and he was keeping pace with Mane. He is also a CB that to me reads the game better than any other CB at Chelsea bar Silva, so I am not sure pace is the issue. Always seemed to me a good player who lacks confidence and is a little weak for his position. However he is only 24 and plays CB, which is still quite young for the position at CB's peak later than most other outfield positions.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I'll admit at one point I'd had enough of him. His turnaround has been fantastic. Long may it continue. Well done tuchel.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'll admit at one point I'd had enough of him. His turnaround has been fantastic. Long may it continue. Well done tuchel.
I've been blown away by his seamless transition from the central CB in a 3 to being the RCB - really didn't think he had it in his locker but fair fecks he's been absolutely immense there and arguably better than he was in the middle. Looks so comfortable on the ball as well - a complete modern CB. Hope the rumours are true and he's close to re-signing.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I always hestitate before overly praising defenders playing in a back 3 since it does well in hiding their deficiencies. Not necessarily Christensen, who was doing really well at Gladbach as well, but Rudiger in particular. I've never rated him highly, even when he was a youngster at Stuttgart, but he has certainly looked like a monster under Tuchel. With this form he would be a dead certainty to start, maybe alongside Ginter, who is another gaffe prone defender, or Sule, who hasn't been in great form this season. If Rudiger can be as great for Germany as he has been for Chelsea then it would be amazing, but I can't say playing in a back three would translate to a back 2.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I always hestitate before overly praising defenders playing in a back 3 since it does well in hiding their deficiencies. Not necessarily Christensen, who was doing really well at Gladbach as well, but Rudiger in particular. I've never rated him highly, even when he was a youngster at Stuttgart, but he has certainly looked like a monster under Tuchel. With this form he would be a dead certainty to start, maybe alongside Ginter, who is another gaffe prone defender, or Sule, who hasn't been in great form this season. If Rudiger can be as great for Germany as he has been for Chelsea then it would be amazing, but I can't say playing in a back three would translate to a back 2.
Play a back 3 then

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Play a back 3 then
Well we did, and it kind-off worked but then didn't at times as well. The issue is that Germany's strengths lie at the front half of the pitch (midfield and attackers) and their weakness is at the back, so do you go to defend your weakness or rely on your strength?

I actually prefer a back 3 since I think it worked best before. But that's a topic for another thread.