5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsville

Van Gaal has mishandled him, Januzaj and Wilson.
I believe so too, all the bullshit about him promoting youths this season, it was out of necessity through injuries, selling chico should have been to accommodate Wilson who is an amazing talent, who was the obvious player to fill the gap through his amazing performances up through the academy and u21s, Fellaini playing instead of not just Pereira, which is a waste of talent and not promoting youth, he was preferred most often to Herrera. Januzaj was our most exciting player in the shit pile that was moyes's tenure, that should have been encouraged, instead he has had 2 seasons of nothing, he looked like he should blossom for us, now I'm not sure he will ever recover the momentum to do anything here.

Bwuk

and yet you could say he's handled Fosu Mensah, Rashford, Borthwick Jackson and Lingard all well. He can't play them all.
Lingard isn't good enough and that's been evident.

Rashford he thrusted into the first team as a hope more than anything, we literally had no-one else.

CBJ has disappeared out of the team until lately and Rojo has been played ahead of him.

NinjaFletch

LvG has mishandled him, Januzaj, Memphis and Wilson.
Given how many other youngsters he's trusted, do you not think its possible its more that he just doesn't think they're as good as the Caf does?

dichinero

Given how many other youngsters he's trusted, do you not think its possible its more that he just doesn't think they're as good as the Caf does?
I wouldn't go as far as saying he trusted the players. The way he dropped Varela, TFM and CBJ, doesn't seem like trust to me. Rashford is only there because his love children; Rooney and Fellaini are crap up front. The only thing Rooney has on Pereira is experience, not technic, not creativity, not pace, not set piece ability just boring experience by virtue of age and game time.

sugar_kane

Lingard isn't good enough and that's been evident.

Rashford he thrusted into the first team as a hope more than anything, we literally had no-one else.

CBJ has disappeared out of the team until lately and Rojo has been played ahead of him.
CBJ was injured for a while, and it seems more than acceptable to me not to play the kids week in week out, it's not great for their development.

With Rashford he has played him plenty of times when he could have played others.

I'm no Van Gaal apologist but this is one of the few things he's done well at.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I wouldn't go as far as saying he trusted the players. The way he dropped Varela, TFM and CBJ, doesn't seem like trust to me. Rashford is only there because his love children; Rooney and Fellaini are crap up front. The only thing Rooney has on Pereira is experience, not technic, not creativity, not pace, not set piece ability just boring experience by virtue of age and game time.
So if the certain youngsters don't get games, it's because LVG has dropped them and pushed under the bus, but when he plays others, it's because he has no choice. Am I doing it right?

dichinero

So if the certain youngsters don't get games, it's because LVG has dropped them and pushed under the bus, but when he plays others, it's because he has no choice. Am I doing it right?
My point is the idea of him trusting in the young players as he claims. Varela and CBJ didn't deserve to be dropped in the manner they were. That's hardly trusting when you compare how he treats other players.

prath92

My point is the idea of him trusting in the young players as he claims. Varela and CBJ didn't deserve to be dropped in the manner they were. That's hardly trusting when you compare how he treats other players.
Varela was dropped when Valencia came back. Valencia has been way better than varela tbh

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
and yet you could say he's handled Fosu Mensah, Rashford, Borthwick Jackson and Lingard all well. He can't play them all.
fosu mensah - the sample size is far too small here to say one way or the other.

rashford - there isn't a manager on the planet that wouldn't have kept playing rashford given how fantastic he's been since the off. whether lvg deserves credit for that, i don't really care.

borthwick-jackson - dropped from the fa cup squad. meanwhile rojo is in it. mental. should have played a lot more in the past two months, especially given how poor rojo has been. still not selected for whatever reason.

lingard - you're taking the mick aren't you? lingard is turning 24 this year, and more importantly has been gash. despite being a 90 minute player in an attacking position, he hasn't provided a goal or an assist in the past 15 games he's played. handled him well? the guy should be in the reserves.

prath92

lingard - you're taking the mick aren't you? lingard is turning 24 this year, and more importantly has been gash. despite being a 90 minute player in an attacking position, he hasn't provided a goal or an assist in the past 15 games he's played. handled him well? the guy should be in the reserves.
Lingard gets some unfair stick. I mean sure he isn't world class but he is definitely a useful player. He had good games vs Arsenal city Chelsea and all. In fact he was one of our best players in those games. To say he is useless is unfair. Even if you think he is useless, if we got some excellent games out of lingard it surely counts as handling him well? Fergie got decent performances out of buttner and that guy barely cuts it in Russia

Mark Pawelek

No. He sent James Wilson and Ashley Fletcher on loan, so he clearly planned to play Rashford ahead of them if need be.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
No, he just didn't know William Keane would get injured and especially injured for the rest of the season. Will was very unlucky and I hope he get's chances next season because he was getting back to his best.

itso 7

CBJ was injured for a while, and it seems more than acceptable to me not to play the kids week in week out, it's not great for their development.

With Rashford he has played him plenty of times when he could have played others.

I'm no Van Gaal apologist but this is one of the few things he's done well at.
Yet he plays Rashford week in and week out not complaining about that fact but ut debunks your argument for there being some method to how he drops players. Pereira should have been allowed to go out on loan not blocking him then proceed to make him rot in the reserves.

prath92

Yet he plays Rashford week in and week out not complaining about that fact but ut debunks your argument for there being some method to how he drops players. Pereira should have been allowed to go out on loan not blocking him then proceed to make him rot in the reserves.
It's not black and White as that. Maybe he had every intention of playing pereira when he said it but that would require his application too. I haven't seen the reserve games but a lot of people here were underwhelmed by his performances for them. For all his faults, Lingard gives 100% effort in most games even though he isn't as talented as Adnan or pereira.

Maybe the manager felt he wasn't putting the effort he needed. It's quite possible.

dichinero

It's not black and White as that. Maybe he had every intention of playing pereira when he said it but that would require his application too. I haven't seen the reserve games but a lot of people here were underwhelmed by his performances for them. For all his faults, Lingard gives 100% effort in most games even though he isn't as talented as Adnan or pereira.

Maybe the manager felt he wasn't putting the effort he needed. It's quite possible.
I don't believe it is always down to effort but his inexplicable trust in certain players that aren't worth the stupid privileges.

Pereira hasn't been as bad for the U21s as Rooney has been for the first team. When he was out of favour, he looked like he knuckled down and forced his way into the U20 for Brazil, something that is hard to get in if you don't ply your trade in SA, and if you don't, you have to be a regular in Europe. He had neither so it was clear that he worked hard to augment his natural ability to be considered for selection and I'm sure he'll represent them as a key player at the Olympics in Brazil.

It's all LvG imo. His whole thing is centred around Rooney. When it was clear that Rashford, was the better striker, it was all about shifting things around to accommodate him. My question is, if there were 4/5 Martials and Rashford, would LvG oust Rooney for them, I think not.

First, Martial came to United on the promise of leading the line, he got moved for Rooney. Rooney started playing crap and got injured, Rashford came on the scene, things were yet again shifted for Rooney at #10. Now things have been moved around for Rooney to be shoehorned into the team at CM. I believe that bar experience, Pereira would have added more than Rooney over the period of the whole season and it's not like Rashford or Martial are very experienced.

Pereira is up against a manager that considers his captain undroppable. Even Mata and Herrera don't have a chance to compete fairly with Rooney.

prath92

I don't believe it is always down to effort but his inexplicable trust in certain players that aren't worth the stupid privileges.

Pereira hasn't been as bad for the U21s as Rooney has been for the first team. When he was out of favour, he looked like he knuckled down and forced his way into the U20 for Brazil, something that is hard to get in if you don't ply your trade in SA, and if you don't, you have to be a regular in Europe. He had neither so it was clear that he worked hard to augment his natural ability to be considered for selection and I'm sure he'll represent them as a key player at the Olympics in Brazil.

It's all LvG imo. His whole thing is centred around Rooney. When it was clear that Rashford, was the better striker, it was all about shifting things around to accommodate him. My question is, if there were 4/5 Martials and Rashford, would LvG oust Rooney for them, I think not.

First, Martial came to United on the promise of leading the line, he got moved for Rooney. Rooney started playing crap and got injured, Rashford came on the scene, things were yet again shifted for Rooney at #10. Now things have been moved around for Rooney to be shoehorned into the team at CM. I believe that bar experience, Pereira would have added more than Rooney over the period of the whole season and it's not like Rashford or Martial are very experienced.

Pereira is up against a manager that considers his captain undroppable. Even Mata and Herrera don't have a chance to compete fairly with Rooney.
That happens when you are captain. In any club and under any manager. Mourinho was sacked because he dropped Casillas and fought with him. Wenger plays mertasacker a lot even though it's clear he is past it too. Even Terry who was poor played quite often this season. Del bosque even now seems reluctant to play DDG who is the best keeper in the world and Casillas is past it. Rooney according to managers and players does have a good influence on the players for club and country. So it's not unfair to say he is a good captain. So it's understandable that the captain plays if available.

Pereira according to many here had an OK season. No one is saying he isn't talented. If he wasn't, we wouldn't tie him to a new correct last year. Rooney was off form but no manager will play a rookie. Mata and Herrera got their chances and were appalling this season too.

I have seen many say that he wasn't anything special this season for the reserves. We have seen Wilson rip up in the reserves yet he struggles even at Brighton. So to say that someone who had a not so great season at youth level will come to PL and suddenly will play really well.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That happens when you are captain. In any club and under any manager. Mourinho was sacked because he dropped Casillas and fought with him. Wenger plays mertasacker a lot even though it's clear he is past it too. Even Terry who was poor played quite often this season. Del bosque even now seems reluctant to play DDG who is the best keeper in the world and Casillas is past it. Rooney according to managers and players does have a good influence on the players for club and country. So it's not unfair to say he is a good captain. So it's understandable that the captain plays if available.

Pereira according to many here had an OK season. No one is saying he isn't talented. If he wasn't, we wouldn't tie him to a new correct last year. Rooney was off form but no manager will play a rookie. Mata and Herrera got their chances and were appalling this season too.

I have seen many say that he wasn't anything special this season for the reserves. We have seen Wilson rip up in the reserves yet he struggles even at Brighton. So to say that someone who had a not so great season at youth level will come to PL and suddenly will play really well.
Arteta is the captain not Mertesacker

dichinero

I see what you are saying but he has a power that most captains don't. The backlash you get from dropping Rooney is ridiculous when compared with other captains and he is not even a top player or to captain. Rooney is not the point of discussion here but Pereira and his biggest challenge is LvG who gives Rooney this power imo. Under LvG, Rooney is pretty much in direct competition to every player ahead of the back four but he has no direct competition imo. Blind is lucky because Jones has just not been good enough and Shaw has been injured.

Anywhere Rooney is being deployed, there is a domino effect that affects every player that plays in a position he can play and this includes Pereira. If he is saying that he had been promised game time, then he must have been somewhere in a pecking order that is reasonable to stay in the club. It doesn't seem like there is any pecking order in any position, it all reshuffles when the manager decides to shoehorn Rooney.

I'm not saying that he should play many games but the number of minutes he had received this season is ridiculous for a player like Pereira.

It's that or the manager does not fancy the kid one bit. He just kept him around for the sake of it because when we were thin he still did not get a chance.

My main bone of contention is why he had allowed the development of a young player to stall when the kid wants to improve himself. How is that not going to cause an unrest within the player. Training everyday knowing you had a chance to be competing elsewhere but coerced into sticking around when there is a zero opportunity for you will show in your game, whether U21 or otherwise. We have seen better players put in poor performances for the reserves when they are not happy at the club.

prath92

I see what you are saying but he has a power that most captains don't. The backlash you get from dropping Rooney is ridiculous when compared with other captains and he is not even a top player or to captain. Rooney is not the point of discussion here but Pereira and his biggest challenge is LvG who gives Rooney this power imo. Under LvG, Rooney is pretty much in direct competition to every player ahead of the back four but he has no direct competition imo. Blind is lucky because Jones has just not been good enough and Shaw has been injured.

Anywhere Rooney is being deployed, there is a domino effect that affects every player that plays in a position he can play and this includes Pereira. If he is saying that he had been promised game time, then he must have been somewhere in a pecking order that is reasonable to stay in the club. It doesn't seem like there is any pecking order in any position, it all reshuffles when the manager decides to shoehorn Rooney.

I'm not saying that he should play many games but the number of minutes he had received this season is ridiculous for a player like Pereira.

It's that or the manager does not fancy the kid one bit. He just kept him around for the sake of it because when we were thin he still did not get a chance.

My main bone of contention is why he had allowed the development of a young player to stall when the kid wants to improve himself. How is that not going to cause an unrest within the player. Training everyday knowing you had a chance to be competing elsewhere but coerced into sticking around when there is a zero opportunity for you will show in your game, whether U21 or otherwise. We have seen better players put in poor performances for the reserves when they are not happy at the club.
Rooney is a good enough captain. Players look upto him and he has achievements that makes him stand out as well.

Anyway that's not how it works. Last season mata and young were behind players like di Maria and falcao in the pecking order. Mata was benched for 2 months but he continued to work hard and demanded starts. Young put in some excellent performances displacing di maria. You can't want starts and then not put in the efforts just because you have been 'promised' starts.

jesperjaap

I would like to see Pereira get more opportunities as there is obviously a massive potential in the player, far more than many other youngsters that have been promoted or even signed. Still, the limited opportunities he has had, bar the free kick he hasnt done enough so far to justify more starts ahead of others

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
No there isn't
He's as skillful and technically gifted as anyone i've seen in the youth teams over the last 8/9 years I have been watching, maybe bar Pogba and Morrison. He's hardly a loose cannon either, even if there has been some doubts over mentality/application.

There must be some sort of issue there, but I still have high hopes for him should he be given faith.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's as skillful and technically gifted as anyone i've seen in the youth teams over the last 8/9 years I have been watching, maybe bar Pogba and Morrison. He's hardly a loose cannon either, even if there has been some doubts over mentality/application.

There must be some sort of issue there, but I still have high hopes for him should he be given faith.
I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. I think he is great but I disagree that he has far more potential than any of Adnan, TFM, Williams, Wilson etc. He really hasn't done anything to suggest he has more potential than Adnan at all, let alone far more.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Yep you have a point with Adnan, but I think hes more gifted than any of the others imo. Not by far though and other areas of their game may take the others further but pure skill and ability on the ball he's ahead of the rest.

Another thing against him is his position. He's plays centrally in midfield, the hardest place for a young player to break into immediately at the highest level. Lingard and Januzaj can both play wide. I don't think that suits Pereira at all. His positioning has been an issue in his first team appearance and in the 21s and it's held him back.

Vilev

He should not be at the club next year, for his sake and ours, he needs a proper loan so he can get senior football experience.

jesperjaap

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. I think he is great but I disagree that he has far more potential than any of Adnan, TFM, Williams, Wilson etc. He really hasn't done anything to suggest he has more potential than Adnan at all, let alone far more.
I never said that myself. If you read my post it says far more potential "than many", not "any".

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Someone mentioned somewhere that Van Gaal makes it harder for Januzaj and Pereira because they are the established youth players with potential and developing them would be too straightforward and not make Van Gaal look as good as him bringing through other unknown youth players.

This is the guy who subbed in Powell in a must win CL game, so I can't help but feel that's true.

Someone mentioned somewhere that Van Gaal makes it harder for Januzaj and Pereira because they are the established youth players with potential and developing them would be too straightforward and not make Van Gaal look as good as him bringing through other unknown youth players.

This is the guy who subbed in Powell in a must win CL game, so I can't help but feel that's true.
Or, its well known LVG hates players who think theyre above the team in some way or who he feels dont apply themselves fully.

Couple that attitude with two youngsters who are far from having made it and it would have been like a red rag to a bull.

prath92

If that was the case Powell wasn't Unknown. Lingard wasn't unknown. This is clearly nonsense

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Powell wasn't unknown, but it was a move that was unexpected. If he'd scored a goal that saved us that day, you can bet Van Gaal would be giving it the big one basking in his own genius.

That's the impression I get from his time here. Going for the unexpected, just so people can revel in his genius.

prath92

Powell wasn't unknown, but it was a move that was unexpected. If he'd scored a goal that saved us that day, you can bet Van Gaal would be giving it the big one basking in his own genius.

That's the impression I get from his time here. Going for the unexpected, just so people can revel in his genius.
That's just paranoia imo. If this was the case pereira wouldn't have played no games. He did have a few games here or there

Impulse

It's blatantly obvious that Powell came on instead of Pereira because he is a bigger goal threat. There are plenty of valid criticisms of LVG's time here, we don't need to invent completely absurd conspiracy theories to discredit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.